PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Rhinos

RobbyJamal
06-09-2007, 22:53
I've heard rumours of GW starting a line of Eldar Rhinos. Now I look at that sentence, and think of how silly it sounds. But what are the chances? I'd kind of like to see what it would look like.

Lord Malek The Red Knight
06-09-2007, 22:54
didnt the Eldar used to be able to use (what we now think of as) Imperial Transports back in RT (1st ed)?

couldnt this rumour just be something Apoc. related? (i.e. Apoc allows you to take units from different armies and mix them up)

~ Tim

Icarus
06-09-2007, 22:57
Seems doubtful really. Possibly some kind of Rhino-equivalent vehicles for Apocalypse? Its been done before with the Harlequin Venom - that was a light transport type vehicle.

Hulkster
06-09-2007, 22:57
i have a feeling somebody was telling pork pies to you

Bregalad
06-09-2007, 23:02
Currently, Eldar only have near indestructable super-transports. If they need a crappy transport with almost no armour to get their troops killed easily, they might consider a rhino.

Napster3
06-09-2007, 23:11
That would be cool if Gw did that

RampagingRavener
06-09-2007, 23:11
I dunno, a transport which doesn't cost almost as much as the squad it's transporting could be handy.

Random thought; could it be something Exodite related? Not 'Rhino' as in the tank, but 'Rhino' as in some big rhinocerous-like reptile cavelry? Or something?

Bunnahabhain
06-09-2007, 23:41
Random thought; could it be something Exodite related? Not 'Rhino' as in the tank, but 'Rhino' as in some big rhinocerous-like reptile cavelry? Or something?

That sounds alot more likely to me than anything involving the rhino transport. The Eldar simply don't use clanking and inelegant ground vehicles in the way the Imperium does.

PNETOD
06-09-2007, 23:49
aww come on some super hevy tank to heavy for grav plates???

Feor
06-09-2007, 23:58
No, the scorpion and Cobra make us of grav plates quite efficiently thank you, not to mention that all the Eldar Titans, IIRC, count as skimmers. :)

From the tales I've heard, the only Eldar using Imp Transports were the Harlequins, and the transports were supposed to be "Borrowed" from local imperial forces.

Demonrich
07-09-2007, 00:15
No silly, you meant Eldar Baneblades! :angel:

Cypher
07-09-2007, 04:04
Way, way back before the concept of a "Codex" had ever been considered, pretty much all armies in 40K used the same pool of vehicles (ie the Rhino and Land Raider, since that's all that existed). The modern concept of different vehicles was first introduced in Epic, where we had IG tanks, Eldar Grav Tanks, and the wacky vehicles Orks ride in.

I would be very surprised if we see Eldar (Imperial) Rhinos ever again. Id be less surprised to see somethink like Exodites or an "alternative" Eldar list.

Bregalad
07-09-2007, 08:24
No silly, you meant Eldar Baneblades! :angel:
If he really means Eldar Baneblade, then they already have FW models, either the two super heavy tanks or the Titans. There are rumours that one of those will be done in plastic someday, but that depends on the sales of the Baneblade.

IJW
07-09-2007, 09:04
Way, way back before the concept of a "Codex" had ever been considered, pretty much all armies in 40K used the same pool of vehicles (ie the Rhino and Land Raider, since that's all that existed).
Even then, the Rhino and LR were specifically Imperial vehicles. I never saw any Eldar player use one, just the occasional Ork player. Non-Imperial forces just scratch-built things (or used toy tanks), and used the vehicle building rules in the Rogue Trader book.

Jedi152
07-09-2007, 09:07
It sounds like something you'd tell a kid in a GW store just to see if they'd believe it to me.

xibo
07-09-2007, 09:10
If he really means Eldar Baneblade, then they already have FW models, either the two super heavy tanks or the Titans. There are rumours that one of those will be done in plastic someday, but that depends on the sales of the Baneblade.

Isn't the Chaos and Ork looted baneblades confirmed? Both don't don't get baneblades by FW...

leonmallett
07-09-2007, 09:10
Currently, Eldar only have near indestructable super-transports. If they need a crappy transport with almost no armour to get their troops killed easily, they might consider a rhino.

Thank you for giving me a chuckle Bregalad! :p

To the OP a new light transport, or specifically a Rhino, for Eldar seems unlikley as:
a) it kind of overlaps with Dark Eldar
b) we have not long since had the new Eldar Codex
c) it isn't Eldar-y
d) why would they want to mix up the ranges having gone to great lengths to give different ranges (and sub-ranges: CSM, DA, BT, SW from Space marines) such individually strong visual identity?

lord_blackfang
07-09-2007, 09:25
It sounds like something you'd tell a kid in a GW store just to see if they'd believe it to me.

I bet some folks get a kick out of making this stuff up and seeing how many forums it spreads to.

Jedi152
07-09-2007, 09:27
I bet some folks get a kick out of making this stuff up and seeing how many forums it spreads to.
Exactly. I've often considered playing forum chinese whispers myself! :p

elvinltl
07-09-2007, 13:42
I doubt Eldar will fit Anti-Gravity Drives onto the Rhino and Levitate the Rhino. Sounds percular.. Imagine a rhino on a transparent plastic base stick.

Looted Rhino? The Eldar will describe the Rhino as utterly animalistic and uncivilised...

Grazzy
07-09-2007, 16:46
I would find it ridiculous if eldar got rhinos. Sure, they might have had them in 1st ed, but that was so different to 40k now that it cant really be used as an argument. Eldar get falcons - isnt that enough???

the1stpip
07-09-2007, 16:48
However, if you read the Horus Heresy book (the big one with the pictures) the pre heresy rhinos belonging to the Adeptus Custodes seem to have anti grav plates...

scarletsquig
07-09-2007, 16:51
"We call it... the Flyno!"

Captain Micha
07-09-2007, 16:54
I would find it ridiculous if eldar got rhinos. Sure, they might have had them in 1st ed, but that was so different to 40k now that it cant really be used as an argument. Eldar get falcons - isnt that enough???

space marines get everything isn't that enough? :rolleyes:

but seriously, a rhino for the Eldar would be abit... 'tarded'

Kyrolon
07-09-2007, 17:01

Yes and no. I find myself frequently wanting to transport a squad, but not wanting to spend the 200+ points for a useful falcon, and am not sold on the 100-150 points for a wave serpent (which for me seem to drop about 80% of the time). There are times I would really like a cheap semi disposable transport like a rhino that I could use for a quick 12" of movement and hop out. A venom would be OK I guess if they decided to bring it back, but being AV10 and open topped as I imagine it would, you wouldn't ever want to spend more than one turn in it. We shall see if this comes to pass. I doubt it since the codex is still new in the 40K sense. I would not say though that there is no place for such a creation.

Melchiah
07-09-2007, 17:03
Hey i know lets give the harlies back the landraider that will fix everything

Captain Micha
07-09-2007, 17:28
maybe they should give us the venoms...

I wouldn't mind the dar having a cheap disposable transport....

Lord_Squinty
07-09-2007, 17:42
didnt the Eldar used to be able to use (what we now think of as) Imperial Transports back in RT (1st ed)?

couldnt this rumour just be something Apoc. related? (i.e. Apoc allows you to take units from different armies and mix them up)

~ Tim

Even then, the Rhino and LR were specifically Imperial vehicles. I never saw any Eldar player use one, just the occasional Ork player. Non-Imperial forces just scratch-built things (or used toy tanks), and used the vehicle building rules in the Rogue Trader book.

Actually - yeah, waaay back eldar used rhino transports - but most players never bothered. Though many DID take landraiders...

The actual rules for harlequin transports were they could use land raiders etc.. But they HAD to painted up as harlequin transports :)

Captain Micha
07-09-2007, 17:44
so there were at one time, Land Raiders in clown paint schemes? Awesome