PDA

View Full Version : Waaagggg rules?

Conotor
07-09-2007, 12:41
I was recently attacked by an orc waaaaggg from his general that moved his units 2d6", made them strike first, and re-roll misses. His mages also did that. However, later I was told this was incorrect. Could someone tell me how waaag actually works, from general and from mages?

Urgat
07-09-2007, 14:15
lol.
General declared Waaagh makes units move 1D6 if they get a result of 6 on their animosity test the turn the O&G general declares the waaagh (orcs can add their ranks to the dice roll, black orcs and the generalauto-get 6 and heros add +1 to the result of the unit. Gobs can only add +1 from their ranks). On a 1, the unit takes 1D6 S5 wounds w/o save. And that's it, nothing else, period.

Then you have the waaagh spell that basically does what you say, excepted that you need to cast it, and it's a 12+.
The guy who played you merged the best of both waaagh!, got rid of what was bad, and, basically, was a shameless cheater.

Spoonie
07-09-2007, 15:03
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he wasn't even making animosity tests and just kinda chose Waaagh! as a spell for his shaman.

Conotor
07-09-2007, 21:44
He rolled for the waaagg spell, and checked anamosity. I think he just made an innocent mistake.

Do the units add thair ranks too the distance moved, or the roll to gt waaaagg?

btw thx for the help.

winter has ended
07-09-2007, 21:57
im sure if you search this toipic has come up before about someone doing the exact same thing

Urgat
07-09-2007, 22:17
He rolled for the waaagg spell, and checked anamosity. I think he just made an innocent mistake.
If he had, then he'd have the normal waaagh effects, not the 2D6, rerolls, and so on, I assume.

Do the units add thair ranks too the distance moved, or the roll to gt waaaagg?

Just to the animosity roll:
an orc unit with 3 ranks will therefore need a 3+ to get the "we'll show them" result. With a character, it also adds +1, so the unit above would need 2+.
1 is always a squabble, no matter what.

Braad
07-09-2007, 22:50
Shall we summarize it a bit then?

At the start of the turn he has to roll for animosity. If he calls a WAAAGH then, he adds the rank bonus and bonus for presence of big bosses (capped at +1 for gobbo's) to his dice roll, and all 6'es move D6". This only counts for those units that are subject to animosity and al black orcs (including characters) go automatically, along with the general and his unit.

In his magic phase he can cast the WAAAGH spell (12+) and if succesfull, ALL friendly units (including shamans, warmachine crew) move 2D6" towards the nearest enemy and on top of that all strike first and re-roll misses.

Correct?

Little anekdote about my last game, in his first turn my character did a miscast, giving me the opportunity to freely cast one of my own spells: WAAAGH. Then in my turn I called for the WAAAGH special rule and on top of that an irrisistible force WAAAGH spell which had my black orcs chewing up saurus in my first turn :P and chasing the enemy of the other side of the board... pretty powerfull, yes.

T10
07-09-2007, 22:58
I was recently attacked by an orc waaaaggg from his general that moved his units 2d6", made them strike first, and re-roll misses. His mages also did that. However, later I was told this was incorrect. Could someone tell me how waaag actually works, from general and from mages?

What you describe is consistent with the effects of the Waaagh! spell.

The effect of the General's Waaagh! is directly related to the Animosity rules and are somewhat different.

You should familiarize yourself with these rules if you are likely to face an Orcs & Goblins army again.

-T10

Urgat
08-09-2007, 00:35
In his magic phase he can cast the WAAAGH spell (12+) and if succesfull, ALL units (including shamans, warmachine crew) move 2D6" towards the nearest enemy

I was was wondering, btw: does this apply to chariots and non greenskin units as well (trolls, giants, mercenaries)? Heck, with the wording they use (all friendly units), sounds like if you played a battle with more than two armies, even your allies would benefit from the spell :confused:. This sounds monstruously huge, no?

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2007, 01:47
It's limited to greenskinned members of a orc and goblin army. Shaman not in friendly units, fanatics already popped out of NG units. O & G army war machines, chariots....NOT giants or trolls, they are not Orcs, Goblins, snots etc. Friendly or allied units/armies do NOT get to do a Waaaagh.

That's all I can think of at this time.:)

Felworth
08-09-2007, 05:21
It's limited to greenskinned members of a orc and goblin army. Shaman not in friendly units, fanatics already popped out of NG units. O & G army war machines, chariots....NOT giants or trolls, they are not Orcs, Goblins, snots etc. Friendly or allied units/armies do NOT get to do a Waaaagh.

That's all I can think of at this time.:)

:eyebrows:

Except... except no where in the spell description does it omit Giants, Trolls or any other non-green units. You just need to be friendly and unbroken to WAAAGH! on with the O&G horde.

At least, thats what the spell says. Mayhaps there was a faq that changed this?

Urgat
08-09-2007, 09:44

Excuse me? In the spell description, it doesn't say greenskins, it only says, specificaly, "Friendly units". You're saying that the book doesn't say what it actualy says. Not only does it say "friendly units", it actually insists and say it twice:
first line: "Each unbroken friendly unit immmediately etc"
third to last line: "In addition, all friendly units strike first etc"
There is no mention of any troop restriction, save for: "warmachine crew will abandon their machines" (that's so awesome btw! weeeeh! my 3 spearchukka goblins can go and fight now!)

You're mixing up both waaagh! rules (many people do, it seems). They're completly unrelated, save for the name, the restrictions for the regular one do not (seem to, at least) apply t the spell, that's why I'm wondering if there's a FAQ, because the wording there would allow, dunno, ogre allies to move 2D6".

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2007, 22:09
Oh, you both may be right......Another loop hole to exploit. It doesn't say you can't therefore you can.;)

Been pushing the greenies for a LONG time. Played in and watched several hundred games involving the boys. Seen them at "official events", GDs and tournies. Seen the Waaaagh spell successfully cast many times. NOT once did the person(s) playing the game as the grand poopaw of the Orc side try to move giants, trolls or none greenskins troops just because they were allies in the game.

It maybe the intent of the writers of 7th Edition Orcs and Goblins to change what has been the who is effected by the magic spell. Strange that ALL these months after the armybook came out and not one official word from GW.;)

Until it's official I think I'll stick with what is the correct who.......until GW changes it:D

Urgat
08-09-2007, 23:27
Yeah, well, I've been playing O&G for 8 or 9 years now too. It just strikes me as odd that, for every singel rule, they insist and insit again on such limitations, and they completly omit them just for that one spell. That's why I'm asking (not that I particularly care about that spell, I never field great orc shamns, and most of the time, I use gob shamans, so I never get to use this spell).

Braad
09-09-2007, 00:39
If it says ALL, it means ALL... why is there a loophole.

But it says all friendly units, right? I'll change my former post to clear that out.

Felworth
09-09-2007, 03:02
SNIP

Heh.

Yes yes, your old Harborc. We get it.:D

EDIT: Agh, as is Urgat apparently. Yipes, surrounded on all sides by old Greenskins...

Anyway, the spell says it works on all unbroken friendly units. Thats it, pretty simple and clean cut.

If you imagine Trolls/Giants/mercenaries aren't friendly then feel free to ignore moving them. Just be ready to argue why said giant is friendly enough to be a part of the army but not friendly enough to charge into the nearby forest after a spirit host (and thus leave him stranded fighting invulnerable ghosts of 3+ &*%$ing turns).

Otherwise, RAW.

Shimmergloom
10-09-2007, 21:08
In 6th edition, it said for the Waaagh! rule only greenskin units. It didn't say friendly either which meant there was a constant fight over whether enemy greenskin units would also move when you cast the spell.

In 7th edition it says Friendly, not greenskin. So no more argument about enemy units moving. But now giants and trolls and squigs and DoW move too if they are in your army.

Anyone who claims that cause they watched hundreds of games over 8 years that they didn't see it happen, has not much basis for argument, since the 7th edition book has not even existed for a year yet. So for 7 of those 8 years you would have not seen people moving giants and trolls. And for the last year you just saw people who didn't pay attention to the actual rules.

I have to convince nearly every greenskin opponent that I face that you have to test animosity on squig hoppers and herds. People get in habits and don't want to change them.

Crazy Harborc
11-09-2007, 00:33
Okay....I got off my lazy butt and walked downstairs and got my O & G armybook and reread the spell with both eyes open. Sure enough, it has become all friendly units.:D

I am glad that I am not alone (in my area) when it comes to doing the Waaagh spell wrong. In self defense, it's been many months since my regular opponents and I stopped playing most of our WAB games with a magic phase. The armies we usually play can make for fun/good games without the need of magic spells.;)

Mazdug
12-09-2007, 22:04
I never noticed that change either? I wonder if they are going to FAQ that and change it, or if my giants will be rocketing across the field in future games.

On a seperate note, I've been wondering about this for a while. Can you move via the Waaagh spell more then once. Say, for example, I have 2 Orc shamans with it, and the both have the spell, can I cast it with both of them in the same magic phase and move 4d6? Or is there something in the main rulebook that forbids such behavior?

winter has ended
12-09-2007, 22:19
yes you can do this lol, but you roll for each one seperatly, if you have 4 orcshamens you can do it 4 times lol, weeeeee across the battle field

Mazdug
12-09-2007, 23:03
yes you can do this lol, but you roll for each one seperatly, if you have 4 orcshamens you can do it 4 times lol, weeeeee across the battle field

I've been thinking that in a 3000 pt game it might be fun to try all shamans, just for this reason. I mean, if you start your first turn with a waaagh, then march, and then get two waaaghs off in the magic phase, your orc boys will move, on average, something like 28 inches across the board, guaranteeing close combat where you have a major advantage. I suspect if one pulls this off, it becomes one of those legendary stories people start hating to hear about after the 3rd retelling.

Urgat
12-09-2007, 23:51
Yeah, if you manage to get Waaagh on each shaman, if you don't squabble, if you manage to cast the spell twice ( that's two 12+ to cast...), if, if.

Felworth
13-09-2007, 00:22
Yeah, if you manage to get Waaagh on each shaman, if you don't squabble, if you manage to cast the spell twice ( that's two 12+ to cast...), if, if.

Yeah but maybe, just maybe his boys can do it...*

It certainly would be worth putting together a list just to see wouldn't it?

*(yeah, and I'm a chinese jet pilot.)

Crazy Harborc
13-09-2007, 21:05
Well....NOW I have one more "what if, fantasy". Heck, two successful Waaagh spell castings in one game would be.....a hoot.

I WILL be doing a Orc army that has a DoW whatever unit OR a giant to use in one upcoming games. Got the "perfect opponent" to play. Gee....ALLL I need to do is succeed in casting the Waaagh after managing to roll it as one of my spells......Piece of cake....noooo problem.

Braad
14-09-2007, 09:29
I've been thinking that in a 3000 pt game it might be fun to try all shamans, just for this reason. I mean, if you start your first turn with a waaagh, then march, and then get two waaaghs off in the magic phase, your orc boys will move, on average, something like 28 inches across the board, guaranteeing close combat where you have a major advantage. I suspect if one pulls this off, it becomes one of those legendary stories people start hating to hear about after the 3rd retelling.

Please...

Read post 7 of this topic :P
That was not even 3000 points (2800 or something, I believe)

Doh...
Forgot to mention about 7 savage boar boyz chewing away 3 salamanders and 20 skinks in the same first turn...