PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Gun Line

TheRaven
07-09-2007, 16:48
I recently got back into Fantasy and I decided to make a Dwarf army while waiting for the new High Elves. I have an idea for a 2,000 point army that is either really good or total crap. I wonít post the exact points because I havenít determined them yet and this isnít an official army list, just ideas.

My main gun line will cost around 850 points. 2 bolt throwers with master engineers, 2 cannons (Using the master engineers entrench ability) on the flanks, 2 units of 10 thunderers and a flame cannon. Pretty hard core stuff. My center is going to be held by a unit of longbeards and 2 units of warriors all with 2H weapons. My character choice is going to be very sparse, just the aforementioned engineers and a runelord with a magic staff that takes away a power dice and adds it to my dispel pool and a dispel scroll like rune. My last ace in the hole is a 20 strong unite of rangers with crossbows and 2H weapons.

I plan to hopefully hide the rangers behind a hill in no mans land if there is one and have them climb up the hill on the first turn and start pumping crossbow bolts into the enemy at 20 a turn. Hopefully I can stop a march move or 2 and delay the army a bit while my main gun line continues to pound them. If they are charged the get a lovely stand and shoot 20 crossbow bolts reaction and attack with 2H weapons from high ground. Not too shabby.

I am still up in the air on how to align my forces when I donít have a lot of hills. I was thinking Cannon -> Warriors -> thunderers -> Longbeards -> thunderers -> Warriors -> Cannon. The only problem with that line is itís long. I was thinking of using the thunderers as a screen in front to have a shorter line. The good thing about having the longbears in the center is that if the thunderers flee through my line they almost certainly wonít cause anyone to panic.

Any thoughts?

sabre4190
08-09-2007, 04:36
Gunlines are always a bit tricky. If you want that firepower, i would squeeze out some more thunderers. Maybe drop a unit of warriors and take some more thunderers and some slayers for disruption.

This suggestion should only be taken seriously if you really want to focus on that firepower. You could make a nice balanced list (which I usually see do very well). In this case, I would take one flank with your shooty stuff to create a nice field of line of sight. On the other flank, take the warriors to intercept enemy units and act more aggresively.

T10
08-09-2007, 11:45
I plan to hopefully hide the rangers behind a hill in no mans land if there is one and have them climb up the hill on the first turn and start pumping crossbow bolts into the enemy at 20 a turn. Hopefully I can stop a march move or 2 and delay the army a bit while my main gun line continues to pound them. If they are charged the get a lovely stand and shoot 20 crossbow bolts reaction and attack with 2H weapons from high ground. Not too shabby.

I say "nay!" Don't do this!

If you want all those shots then you'd better get yourself a big hill! Since you "only" get to shoot with two ranks you'll need to rank up 10x2, which is a width of ~8".

While that *is* a tremendous amount of shooting, that's just one big soft and expensive target. How soft? A 6+ light armour save. How expensive? 280 points minimum! You'll be looking at a combat resolution score starting at +2 to +4 (1 rank, higher ground, outnumbering?, banner?), but your enemy isn't going to counter them with a unit of five Furys! Expect at least two units of heavy cavalry moving in on their position.

I wouldn't bet too much on their ability to stand and shoot to avoid being destroyed. Crossbows are move-or-fire, so even a unit of fast cav can move in on your flank and tie up you unit for a round or two even if they are not destroyed.

Such a unit *isn't* an automatic failiure. It's actually quite cool. Daring, in fact. But the fact remains that the primary benefit of a crossbow unit is it's range,and its primary weakness is its inability to respond to close-range threats.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
08-09-2007, 20:41
While that *is* a tremendous amount of shooting, that's just one big soft and expensive target. How soft? A 6+ light armour save. How expensive? 280 points minimum! You'll be looking at a combat resolution score starting at +2 to +4 (1 rank, higher ground, outnumbering?, banner?), but your enemy isn't going to counter them with a unit of five Furys! Expect at least two units of heavy cavalry moving in on their position.
. Fast Cav will gnerally give you fits as well. They will reform behind you, in many cases, posing a bona fide threat from your flank or rear, in which case you'll have to turn to face them, sacrificing that turn's shooting.

Results will vary depending on army and unit setup. Some have missile options, making them a legitimate double-threat, and some have special rules that will make your shooting somewhat useless against them except for actual kills (Daemonic Flesh Hounds and Undead Dire Wolves come to mind.) For those that can have them, some players also like to fit in a tooled-up character to add to hitting power on the charge.

A more balanced approach will probably go a longer way than sheer firepower.