PDA

View Full Version : Equip a general of the empire

fearchanges
08-09-2007, 09:30
I've got this tournament coming up and my problem is that I don't know how I should equip my General.
My further 2K list is ok and I wan't to keep it like that;

-Captain of the Empire with BSB, armour of meteoric Iron and Icon of Magnus
-Warrior Priest on barded Warhorse with heavy armour, great weapon, shield and von Horstmann's Speculum
-level 2 Battle wizard with Rod of Power

-24 Swordsmen with Full command and Warbanner
*detachment 10 halberdiers
*detachment 5 crossbowmen
-5 Knightly orders
-12 Handgunners with marksman with repeater handgun
*detachment 5 handgunners
-10 Huntsmen
-20 Flagellants with prophet of doom

-2 Great cannons and 1 mortar
-8 Knightly Inner Circle Orders with Full Command and Steel standard

I've got about 200 points left for him and he should fit in the swordsmen unit together with the BSB.
Plz give me some tips.
Cheers

Spoonie
08-09-2007, 10:20
I'd personally put him on a horse, but if you want him on foot I'd go with the Sword of Sigismund and a Holy Relic, with full plate and a shield. That way if his slow foot slogging self gets charged he still has a chance to put the hurt on. I'd also be wary of putting two characters in the same unit if they're walking, makes them a very juicy target to either gang up on or ignore.

Edit: Oops forgot about your points limit. I'd check if that fits but my Empire book is mysteriously missing :)

FLUEVOG
08-09-2007, 13:50
I'm a big fan of the Rod of Command lately. I'd move my Swordsmen forward and bait him into charging. Surprise! I just rolled Insane Courage on the break test and now you're stuck out in front of my 8 IC Knights.

Kahadras
08-09-2007, 14:11
Captain of the Empire + full plate armour, shield, barded warhorse and holy relic = 119p

Is what I'd probably go for (get him a lance too). A 1+ save follwed by a 4+ ward save should make him very hard to kill in small games. For a general I would sugest....

General of the Empire + full plate armour, shield, barded warhorse, sword of power and holy relic = 201p

Again he has a great armour save but this time it's backed up by a good magic weapon to give him some real bite in combat. Stick him in a small unit of knights near the center of your battleline. He can lend his leadership to the rest of the army and can countercharge any units which hit the center of his army.

Kahadras

Hawat
08-09-2007, 19:00
If you got the points take a Grand Master with Lorels of Victory, he really kicks @#$.
If you dont have the points take an Empire General and dont Whist Precious points equiping his Worthless @#$.

Spoonie
09-09-2007, 01:47
Yeah sadly, much like the Orc book, there's almost no reason to not take a black orc, er- Grandmaster.

fearchanges
09-09-2007, 16:28
Thx for the replies
I stick with the General of the Empire, because I'm able to give my Swordsmen a warbanner, combine them with a BSB and they've a +7 on the Combat Resolution when I can keep the ranks and outnumber the opponent.
Though I've to admit that a Templar Grand Master is a better Combat character than aGeneral of the Empire.
Only 1 small question that still on my mind.
Is it allowed to let a general of the empire on warhorse join a unit of swordsmen? If yes can he be picked out with shooting.
In this way, I'll be able to give him a cheap decent armoursave.

Spoonie
10-09-2007, 03:29
Yeah that's perfectly fine and no he can't be picked out. The only problem you'll run into is physically fitting him into the unit. The usual method around here is to just put everybody behind him in the unit on 25mm bases instead of their usual 20mms. Makes it so the unit can still be a nice rectangular shape.

sulla
10-09-2007, 07:35
Personally, I think the strength of empire magic items is their enchanted items. There are so many fun items in there that combo really well with other items in the list. So if I were to take a general, I would buy shield, barded warhorse and whatever enchanted item took my fancy, then if i had points to spare, I would take items to compliment the enchanted item.

captaincortez
10-09-2007, 18:37
I like a general on foot with a great weapon, full plate, and a pistol or handgun. Super cheap. He's only there for his leadership and to help boost the unit he's with. If your general is fighting super-tough characters, you have made some tactical mistakes. These guys should be shot down or smashed with knights or tanks.

Alternatively, in 3000 pts and up I like a general on griffon with sword of might, shield, full plate, and a pistol.

fearchanges
11-09-2007, 06:24
Yeah that's perfectly fine and no he can't be picked out. The only problem you'll run into is physically fitting him into the unit. The usual method around here is to just put everybody behind him in the unit on 25mm bases instead of their usual 20mms. Makes it so the unit can still be a nice rectangular shape.

Is this really needed? Do I've to change the bases of all my swordsmen for this?

Noldo
11-09-2007, 07:06
Changing bases is no way needed, but having 2 (or 3, depending on your number of ranks, the key number is ranks - 2) more swordman models with 25mm bases will make the whole unit y*20mm (y=width of unit - 1) + 25mm.

If you are into little modifications, you should actually make those bases 25mm wide and 15mm and 15mm deep (or any combination getting sum of 30mm) (15, 15 and 20 or any combination with sum of 50 if you make 3 of them).

Naturally best effect would be achieved with one base 10mmx25mm (right behind the general) and others 20mmx25mm (filling the remaining ranks). That way you could keep the shape no matter how many casualties you had taken.

That way your unit would make nice and clean rectangular unit with one columm 25mm wide (starting with the mounted character) and all columms equally long (4*20mm for normal columms, 50mm+15mm+15mm for your special 25mm wide columm). Little work, but could actually make your unit look much more nicer on the battlefield.

Whistler
11-09-2007, 07:25
How 'bout a general on warhorse with a lance,Full Plate,Holy Relic and Laurels of Victory ? I need to make a list for a friend of mine who's just started Empire 2 month's ago and i'm not sure how to equip him like the OP :D

blurred
11-09-2007, 14:37
How 'bout a general on warhorse with a lance,Full Plate,Holy Relic and Laurels of Victory ?

IIRC, the laurels are something like 70 points and the holy relic 50 so you can't have them both on a single character. Also, empire general has only 3 attacks which IMO is not enough to get the most out of the laurels.

My usual setup in the previous edition of the empire book was AoMI and a great weapon. Nowadays I use the arch lector just because he's so much better than the empire general.

Didn't they drop the "Count's troops" rule? Your swordsmen can't have the Warbanner if its so.

fearchanges
11-09-2007, 19:35
I think taht Blurred made a mistake, in the ´old´ book they were 70 points for the laurels and 45 for the Relic, but in the ´new` book it´s 55 for the Laurels and 45 for the Relic so it is obliged too use both.
Though I´ve too agree that it would fit better on a Templar Grand Master with his better Stats...

Crube
11-09-2007, 19:39
I do agree with Captaincortes on this... An Empire General is never going to battle it out with another high level character...

Kahadras
12-09-2007, 00:13
I do agree with Captaincortes on this... An Empire General is never going to battle it out with another high level character...

I have to agree. Better to pick on rank and file TBH. Make him quite tough and then just aim to chew through as many basic enemy troops as you can. A good ward save, full plate and a good magic weapon will allow you to do this quite well IMO and he's still fairly cheap.

I do think the Empire General is a good buy for a lord choice. While the Grand master is better in combat he costs more and is less flexible than the General. He also means you don't have to field knights if you don't want to.

Kahadras

alextroy
12-09-2007, 01:59
When I use a General of the Empire, I equip him to live and add a little to combat/magic to make my Mage and Warrior priest more effective.

General of the Empire (206 Points)
Full Plate Armor & Shield
Barded Warhorse
Sword of Might (or Battle, your choice)
Holy Relic
Doomfire Ring

You now have a 1+/4+ save, a little extra Close Combat damage, and an annoying Bound Level 3 Burning Head spell to draw out your opponent's dispel dice.

soots
12-09-2007, 05:28
No one goes for Arch Lector with Van horstmans on War Altar?

Things a beast!

Crube
12-09-2007, 08:45
I think many people do soots, but the OP is asking for how to equip a normal general of the Empire...

Having said that, VHS on a captain or general can be interesting too....

Kahadras
12-09-2007, 13:47
Having said that, VHS on a captain or general can be interesting too....

Even better on a Bright wizard who has the spell Flaming sword of Rhuin. This guy can really make a mess of enemy characters in challenges. I do agree with Crube that the OP did want builds for Generals not the alternatives he could take.

Kahadras

fearchanges
13-09-2007, 17:25
Had my testgame yesterday and my general did quite well. he had;
Sword of Sigismund, Full plate armour and Enchanted Shield + Holy Relic.
The only trick here is, too keep him away from dangerous charac-killers.
Thx for all tips btw

soots
14-09-2007, 01:20
I dont see the point of the Empire Count General.

He only provides leadership. Wish he had only 1 attack and Ld10.

You got Arch lectors which are excellent anti-magic leaders who can bolster units, and you have GMs for hit em up styles.

Kahadras
14-09-2007, 07:30
You got Arch lectors which are excellent anti-magic leaders who can bolster units, and you have GMs for hit em up styles.

Both of which cost quite a bit more than the General. The General is a fine choice for a lord IMHO. OK he isn't as fighty as the Grand master but he also doesn't have to bring along a unit of knights if he doesn't want to. Plus he still gets 3 WS5, S4 attacks which isn't that bad and he's perfectly OK at beating up rank and file troops.

Kahadras