PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Tactica

DarkAzrael169
08-09-2007, 10:35
I am having trouble making up for being outnumbered when I play, and using the Eldars excellent speed and maneuverability to my advantage. If anyone has a special technique, paractical advice or an idea, that would be great!

okri_the_blue
08-09-2007, 12:09
i've had a little sucsess with my eldar, most of the games come down to makeing the right calls as the situation develovs. But here are a few sugestions ( in all likelyhood you will find these a little simple). Try to pick manuvers that allow you to dicide later direction altitue ect the top 3 cards for this are 10. spiral 6. rolling high-g turn and 5. high-g turn. try to aproch at a diferent alt to your oponent to avoid longe rang and meidum fire power. aproch quickly. chose the right plane to move first(very vage but it can become obvious after a while). dont be to pridictable. and finally just tri and get those shots in use all your speed and manuverabiltiy to get as meny shots at close range same alt as you can( can seem suicidel but sometimes its the best way to even the numbers). dobt i've been much help but good luck any way

steinerp
12-09-2007, 22:25
I've only played a few games so far, but I think alot of the Eldar tactics really depend on the size of the game. That being said we play most of ours at the 60 point level so Eldar are only getting 2 ships or 3 if we play slightly higher. It seems that I've always had my best success early in the game on the initial pass. At this stage I can usually use my two ships to get some good shots and down a ship or two of his. Even though the Eldar ships are very manevuerable, I find that the greater number of enemy ships tends to make this a draw once you get in close. As regardless of who gets initative they get to react to you. I think there is a lot to be said for flying straight past the enemy then taking a full turn to turn around and make another pass.

More so than most other races I think the Eldar need to pay attention as to when to disengage. Just because of numbers they tend to lose most sustained fights and if they can get off the board without ammo (nightwings), and/or damaged(hunters) they should look to end the game ASAP. As such I almost always use sustained burst, even at long range, so I run out of ammo fairly quickly.

Except in scenerios requiring ground troops I don't see much use for pheonixes or raiders and I usually take a 50/50 mix of nightwings and hunters.

okri_the_blue
12-09-2007, 23:02
i have to agree with every thing you just said steinerp, we usally play bigger games serarios but the rest is pritty consistant with my own experiance.

steinerp
13-09-2007, 14:16
Have you found any success with phoenixes or raiders. It seems like raiders have a place in scenerios which jump troops/ground troops but that is it.

Tyra_Nid
13-09-2007, 15:29
Phoenixes are well and truly excellent in ground attack, but not particularly exciting air-to-air (compared to nightwing).

Yes, Raiders are mainly for troop scenarios or acting as a proxy for a Hunter!

okri_the_blue
14-09-2007, 04:55
steinerp -i have had some sucsess with the Phoniex's and raiders, only in the spealised senarios though, my phonix's have a tendency to make a rediculus number of holofield saves so i'm not sure of there ture value. but they both preform quite well in the right senario.

Tyra_Nid- raider as a hunter best use for them by far

fattdex
14-09-2007, 07:44
hmm i might just buy two hunters, and proxy one as a raider when transport is needed ;-) models are much snazzier

Alias the Jester
30-09-2007, 11:18
The altitude game and using the huge amount of thrust available to Nightwings to either Accelerate or Decelerate is vital to the use of Eldar, one tactic that has worked for me on occasion is if your enemy is coming straight down the board towards you ( usually dogfights) is to suddenly powerdive under him then, decelerate and turn in behind him , by the time he starts to react you should have had a couple of shots at him.

Note , this is even easier to do if you are using advanced rule as you can dive under , then next turn use extreme manouvers and climb and turn in the same turn and get right behind him.

This will only work a couple of times as the people you play will expect it, especially good against players who always start at level 9 ( two of the players at our club . Always Level 9 and Max speed)

ATJ