PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt Winter Elves

Red_Lep
08-09-2007, 17:56
I'm not to big of a fan of Forest Spirits so I was wanting to do a winter theme because I like the painting and the force. I was thinking mostly footsoldiers with a few units of Glade Riders and Warhawks. I've never played WE so I'm not sure how to set them up but this was the basic idea.

Heroes- 335

Waywatcher Noble- 160
~Waywatcher
~Blight of Terror

Spellsinger- 175
~Calaingor's Stave
~Dispel Scroll
~Level 2
.................................................. ..............................
Core- 528

2x Glade Guard(10)- 120
2x Glade Riders(6)- 144
.................................................. ..............................
Rare- 120

Waywatchers(5)- 120
Total- 983

Good? Bad? Lame? Its going to end at atleast 2250 but will probably make it to 3000.

Khorne warrior
08-09-2007, 20:00
It is alright. Waywatchers are too expensive for 1000 points. Drop them and buy some Dryads.

RavenBloodwind
08-09-2007, 20:42
Fundamentally a sound approach.

I'm inclined to agree that you're spending a LOT of points for waywatchers (kindred for noble and troopers) for such a small points game.

Since you don't want to do forest spirits (which is fine by the way) I'd focus on your objectives.

For characters at 1k I honestly think a lone spellsinger would work okay. You get no leadership bump but that's not a great loss.

You have 2 fast-cav archer units which can serve much of the march-block and warmachine hunting role that waywatchers would as well as being more flexible.

I'd entertain picking up some wardancers in place of the waywatchers as they are they are one of the 3 elven troops (EG and WR being the others) which are actually capable in combat. If you used the points from your waywatchers for a unit of wardancers and used the points from the noble for some gladeguard scouts you'd have a similarly structured but more flexible army.

Fundamentally nothing wrong with what you've done though and if you really want the waywatchers that's okay.

You can shave points by taking a scout noble rather than waywatcher and he can still deploy with waywatchers (assuming you don't deploy crazy-close as waywatchers are capable of).

Red_Lep
08-09-2007, 23:45
Fundamentally a sound approach.

I'm inclined to agree that you're spending a LOT of points for waywatchers (kindred for noble and troopers) for such a small points game.

Since you don't want to do forest spirits (which is fine by the way) I'd focus on your objectives.

For characters at 1k I honestly think a lone spellsinger would work okay. You get no leadership bump but that's not a great loss.

You have 2 fast-cav archer units which can serve much of the march-block and warmachine hunting role that waywatchers would as well as being more flexible.

I'd entertain picking up some wardancers in place of the waywatchers as they are they are one of the 3 elven troops (EG and WR being the others) which are actually capable in combat. If you used the points from your waywatchers for a unit of wardancers and used the points from the noble for some gladeguard scouts you'd have a similarly structured but more flexible army.

Fundamentally nothing wrong with what you've done though and if you really want the waywatchers that's okay.

You can shave points by taking a scout noble rather than waywatcher and he can still deploy with waywatchers (assuming you don't deploy crazy-close as waywatchers are capable of).

I appreciate the advice:)

I'm thinking I'm going to keep the Waywatchers because they are my favorite unit for some reason. What would be good to add at 1500? I was thinking 2 units of scouts, either wardancers or warhawks(not sure which would be better), and if I have the points another Spellsinger.

RavenBloodwind
09-09-2007, 03:08
Multiple possibilities for your next 500 points. Another spellsinger will be fine.

As to the multiple scout units, think twice about this. They're a bit overpriced for their utility and if you already have waywatchers you'll start to run out of places to deploy all your scouting units.

As to wardancers vs. warhawks, it really depends on what you want to add. You have NO melee capability at present (don't kid yourself, gladeriders aren't melee troops). For this reason wardancers are certainly attractive, however if you really want more march-block or warmachine hunting then warhawks can certainly be very useful.

For your 1k list, play it as is and see how it performs. Then try an alternate list using scouts instead of waywatchers and get a spare unit of troops with the spare points and see how it plays.

Alathir
09-09-2007, 03:57
Yeah, your list is okay... but it has zero melee power as Raven stated.

If you really have to keep the waywatchers then go for it, I would much rather you play a fluffy list you enjoy than one built around winning.

But here is my advice: Drop the waywatcher noble and his waywatcher friends; they are a great unit but far too expensive at 1000 points sorry to say. I agree with Raven, a single spellsinger is enough for 1000 points and Wood Elves are an army that can really work with minimal characters. I would then go grab some wardancers, these guys are seriously an amazing unit and can tear even fully ranked units to shreds, just make sure you do combined charges with them - glade riders in the flank for example.

If you wanted to be really fluffy, then Eternal Guard would be a great addition to this army (not to mention that they are awesome... I may be in a minority here though) These guys can dish out a scary amount of attacks especially in 6x3 ranks... Plus, if you took them you could even drop the spellsinger and take a noble to lead them, making them stubborn.

Anyway, do what you want with the list, just be warned that as it stands none of your units can hold their own in a fight.

gerrymander61
09-09-2007, 11:15
I like the list very much, i just agree with what every one says in that the list has no melee power. The waywatchers will be fine on their own, so why not just relocate the noble back home to add some hurt to your... bowline?

in 1k points you should either take the spellsinger or the noble, you don't really need both.

btw, i totally agree with you about waywatchers. I too think they're mad cool.

Red_Lep
09-09-2007, 15:14
I was reading up on the ambusher tactics on the UK GW website and I really like the tactics behind it. Any thoughts on how I might be able to apply those tactics but without the Dryads and alittle less cavalry?(what unit sizes and what purposes for the troops) I was thinking two 10 man units Glade Guard in the front with wardancers/glade riders on the sides and waywatchers/warhawks in the back, any good?

Rider-Of-Kurnous
09-09-2007, 15:38
I would drop the kindred on the noble. I find kindreds arent worth it at 1000pionts. Keep the waywatchers though, they are killers in small games (and big ones!)

Rider-