PDA

View Full Version : Stereophonic performances and handling them

Neesh
29-08-2005, 09:41
Hello!
Does the Golden Eye of Tzeentch protect its wearer from the Banshee's howl ?

Cheers!

Arnizipal
29-08-2005, 09:54
Don't think so. A Bansee's howl is not a magic missile.

T10
29-08-2005, 11:35
I think so. It is a ranged attack after all.

The question is - will it protect against a Goblin Fanatic?

-T10

Avian
29-08-2005, 11:37
Of course not. Some Goblins are missiles, but fanatics are not amongst those.

I ditto the "not a magical missile standpoint". It's just a ranged attack that takes place in the shooting phase.

Festus
29-08-2005, 21:14
Hi

My point of view exactly: No Ward from Golden Eye.

Festus

T10
30-08-2005, 07:59
Uh - the Golden Eye only grants a Ward save vs. Magical Missiles and not normal shooting attacks?

How... odd.

-T10

Festus
30-08-2005, 08:28
No, it grants a ward against missiles, whether those are mundane or magical.

The question is if the Banshee's Howl is a missile.

Greetings
Festus

Griefbringer
30-08-2005, 08:31
To quote the exact wording for the said magic item:

"The model and his mount have a Ward save of 3+ against all normal and magical missiles."

I guess it depends on what is considered a normal missile. And I starting to get annoyed by the vague use of the term "normal" in the WHFB rules - always prime material for rules arguments.

Yanos
30-08-2005, 09:20
I'd say the Ward Save is retained. An attack in the Shooting Phase surely qualifies as a missile attack, magical or otherwise?

Festus
30-08-2005, 09:40
Hi

So what about all those missile attacks happening in the magic phase?

The phase something is in has nothing to do with the nature of the attack, otherwise Screamers attacks are *movement-attacks*... and the reall movement attacks (impact hits) happen in the c-c-phase.

No, this is way too easy for my liking...

Greetings
Festus

Yanos
30-08-2005, 10:33
You're taking me a bit out of context there Festus. I just said that attacks in the Shooting Phase are all missile attacks. While I'm sure there are a slew of exceptions, I didn't suggest that everything in another phase should be classified by that phase. It's why there are so many attacks, like Screamers', which specify that they are missiles of one sort or another.

Festus
30-08-2005, 20:34
Hi

I just said that attacks in the Shooting Phase are all missile attacks.
And this is not supported by any rule.

Missile attacks are attacks, in which someone attacks somebody else with a missile, regardless of phase.

Hence the name.

The Banshee doesn't hurtle any missiles. It screams, howls and wails...

Festus

nurgle_boy
30-08-2005, 21:39
the hits are distributed as per shooting hits are they not?
if so, id classthem as a missle attack.

same as fanatics.

Yanos
31-08-2005, 09:19
That's true, and on those grounds you could call a Banshee's howl a Missile attack. But (and I realise I'm arguing against myself here, just thought I should get both sides in :D), I could see a lot of VC players complaining if an opponent tried to use a Ward save against a Banshee that was "only against Missile attacks" (of which there are a few). The opponent probably has the rules on their side (distributed as shooting etc, used in the Shooting phase), but as Festus said, the Howl isn't a missile per se (EDIT: not a physical one).

It's one of those "logic versus the rules" cases really.

EDIT: Or the Howl could just be one of those exceptions I mentioned above.

Griefbringer
31-08-2005, 09:42
Notice that by the (poor) wording of the magic item, it only protects from _missiles_ not from _missile attacks_ and I presume that cunning rules lawyers could twist that into all sorts of strange loops.

Piet
31-08-2005, 09:54
a banshee's howl is not a missle attack.

also the wounds are done because the target is being frightened to death. not because he is hit with something.

Yanos
31-08-2005, 10:25
Notice that by the (poor) wording of the magic item, it only protects from _missiles_ not from _missile attacks_ and I presume that cunning rules lawyers could twist that into all sorts of strange loops.
Just so!

...also the wounds are done because the target is being frightened to death. not because he is hit with something...
This is true, and if that were all we had to go on, I'd not think of it as a missile either. But all the rules-related evidence that we (or at least, I) know of points to it being treated as a Missile attack. Though if there's text in the VC book to sya one way or the other, we're sorted :). Of course if that were the case, why would we have this thread :eyebrows:? Just rambling here...

Festus
31-08-2005, 15:50
Hi

The banshee's howl has no resemblance to a missile attack in any way other that it happens in the shooting phase and is distributed like shooting attacks.:

It ignores targetting restrictions, doesn't need LoS, doesn't have a to hit roll or similar, doesn't roll to wound, ...

It is no missile and no missile attack.

Greetings
Festus

Izram
01-09-2005, 20:35
What about scabs? (nurgle spell)
Would the golden eye protect against that?
The spell isn't a magic missle, but it does d6 strength4 hits no armor save.

Rioghan Murchadha
03-09-2005, 16:01
Actually.. I believe, and will try to find it, that a clarification was made by Gav Thorpe that defined any damage coming from a source that was not in base contact with the target as a missile

R

Ganymede
03-09-2005, 16:30
To the person who equated the banshee's howl as being a missile attack because it is randomised as shooting:

Would a giant's attacks that were randomised like shooting also be considered missile attacks?