PDA

View Full Version : Did the Emperor Defeat Chaos?

Nikkolas
09-09-2007, 00:49
I've been hearing a lot about how the thing with the GEoM holding back against Horus is "old canon fluff" and so i'm wondering if it still holds true that the Emperor forced back all the Chaos Gods?

Would that not kinda make him the most powerful being in the universe even before the Golden Throne?

Ktotwf
09-09-2007, 00:58
What the fluff seems to imply (at least by my perception) is that the Chaos Gods fled in terror from Horus, who they had been previously augmenting with some unknown amount of their power.

Whether that implies that the Chaos Gods were in danger, or just kind of shocked and like "WTF!" I dunno.

Its entirely possible that the blast the Emperor hit Horus sort of did an "Exorcism" and flushed the Chaos Gods out unwillingly, or something like that.

DantesInferno
09-09-2007, 01:00
See <this thread> (http://warseer.com/forums/40k-background/99810-was-the-emperor-holding-back-on-horus-in-the-final-battle.html) for the debate about whether the Emperor was holding back when he fought Horus.

Even if you go with the old background that the Emperor was holding back, it's pretty hard to see how the Chaos Gods could invest all their power in the one physical body of Horus.

There's also a theory you see floating around here from time to time that the Chaos Gods, once the Emperor was fatally wounded, deliberately allowed Horus to lose, figuring that the constant state of war and turmoil in the Imperium would be better for them in the long run (over a 10 000 year period). It's not something I'd personally ascribe to (it smacks of post hoc reasoning to me), but it's plausible enough.

Hive Mind 33
09-09-2007, 01:13
See <this thread> (http://warseer.com/forums/40k-background/99810-was-the-emperor-holding-back-on-horus-in-the-final-battle.html) for the debate about whether the Emperor was holding back when he fought Horus.

Even if you go with the old background that the Emperor was holding back, it's pretty hard to see how the Chaos Gods could invest all their power in the one physical body of Horus.

Well Abaddon is pretty close. Im sure it was not all their power but alot more than in Adaddon.

ryng_sting
09-09-2007, 13:16
I've been hearing a lot about how the thing with the GEoM holding back against Horus is "old canon fluff" and so i'm wondering if it still holds true that the Emperor forced back all the Chaos Gods?

Would that not kinda make him the most powerful being in the universe even before the Golden Throne?

Actually, the story re-appears, slightly polished but mostly intact, in the HH artbooks.

I don't know about most powerful being. It's just that the Emperor's power is anathema to Chaos. Daemons could even approach him, which is why Chaos had to resort to using a mortal pawn to take him out. Chaos's retreat from Horus's body extends from this - and because it was obvious that he had been defeated.