Tehkonrad
09-09-2007, 01:45
it does not make sense does it?
some chaos lord becomes a demon
while big old abadon just sits there mortal as ever...:wtf::wtf:

Ktotwf
09-09-2007, 01:46
We just had a thread on this...

Long story short...being a demon prince means you don't really give a **** about the Imperium...so he is staying "mortal" until he accomplishes the downfall of the Imperium.

Tehkonrad
09-09-2007, 01:48
oh i see...that was ******* fast

azimaith
09-09-2007, 01:51
Its in the Chaos Codex. He doesn't want to be a pawn of a chaos god despite the fact they throw daemonhood at his feet like a nice rug.

DantesInferno
09-09-2007, 01:55
To be precise:

"Twelve times has the Despoiler held the galaxy within his grasp, and each time he had but to claim what was his for the taking. I am now sure there exists some greater scheme, some unfathomable logic driving Abaddon in his endeavors. I ask myself, 'Why has he not claimed the gifts of the ruinous powers must certainly have proffered him? Why does he still walk amongst mortals when surely the path of elevation to daemonhood has been set before him twelve times and more?' The one conclusion I can draw is that the Despoiler's motives lie not with the abstract, spiritual power of the Empyrean: more, they lie with the mundane, with physical, earthly power. Abbadon is driven by hatred and bitterness, to such an extent that he will not rest until he sees righted the wrong he perceives committed against him and his kind ten millenia past by our lord Emperor. Perhaps after his 13th Black Crusade he will consider his mission complete, and only then will he assume the mantle of Daemomhood , over the very ashes of the imperium."

Feor
09-09-2007, 02:16
Plus Daemonhood has it's own disadvantages. To quote a certain blue cartoon character: "Phenomenal cosmic power! Itty bitty living space."

Well, relatively itty bitty, since you're pretty much stuck in the EoT.

Born Again
09-09-2007, 07:10
To be precise:

"Twelve times has the Despoiler held the galaxy within his grasp, and each time he had but to claim what was his for the taking. I am now sure there exists some greater scheme, some unfathomable logic driving Abaddon in his endeavors. I ask myself, 'Why has he not claimed the gifts of the ruinous powers must certainly have proffered him? Why does he still walk amongst mortals when surely the path of elevation to daemonhood has been set before him twelve times and more?' The one conclusion I can draw is that the Despoiler's motives lie not with the abstract, spiritual power of the Empyrean: more, they lie with the mundane, with physical, earthly power. Abbadon is driven by hatred and bitterness, to such an extent that he will not rest until he sees righted the wrong he perceives committed against him and his kind ten millenia past by our lord Emperor. Perhaps after his 13th Black Crusade he will consider his mission complete, and only then will he assume the mantle of Daemomhood , over the very ashes of the imperium."

Always what I'd thought. However, the 13th Black Crusade is now over (kinda disappointing really, the thought of it happening was always a cool bit of awaiting-your-doom background for abaddon) and he hasn't ascended to daemonhood (that we know of: he's still mortal in the new Chaos 'dex). Which makes me think the real reason is, he's too stuck up to take it. He wants to do it without having to be augmented by daemonhood, and in any case probably sees the Chaos Gods as pawns to use, whereas by accepting daemonhood he would become their pawn. In a way, I think he's just trying to better Horus. There was a quote in 3rd edition Chaos codex I always liked:

"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away"

ctsteel
09-09-2007, 08:45
daemonhood also (IIRC) makes it hard/near impossible to stay in real-space for too long - all the daemon princes and primarchs now stay in the Eye, or on daemonworlds that are so warp infused that they are able to stay there.

abaddon wants to cut his way through to terra himself, and see it crushed like an egg. a daemon prince would not be able to do this - it would sit on its world, and wait for a warp portal to be opened by its minions. Abaddon wouldn't want to be this weak, and likely wouldn't trust his minions to do it without him being there in control. He was there when Horus rose, and fell, and he takes it *very* personally.

MrBigMr
09-09-2007, 08:55
I can understand Abaddon's decision not to pursue daemonhood. It's a double edged swords and comes with more strings attached than one of his stature would want. Right now he has legions of loyal followers and no real boss, but the moment he takes that 'hood, he becomes the lap dog of the gods.

Daemonhood isn't the goal of every chaos worshiper. My lord doesn't pursue it, even if he could. But his motivations are far more mundane than Abaddon's, he doesn't trust daemons nor does he want to give up his mortal flesh.

ryng_sting
09-09-2007, 12:57
*Sigh.

Daemonhood isn't multiple choice: they give it, it happens. Full stop. You say to them, 'Actually, I don't really feel like it today, perhaps next millenia?', you get spawned.

In either case, Abaddon is more useful to all concerned as a mortal. Every special character is their army in miniature; Abaddon represents the average Chaos Space Marines. Remember that most CSM's aren't mutated monsters, nor fawning acolytes of the Chaos gods - they're supremely angry marines with millenia of experience and a burning desire to depose a pitiless God-Emperor.

Merceus
09-09-2007, 13:11
Aah, I remeber during the Eye of Terror campaign, so very many threads and rumours about him becoming a Prince, even having a model released... nope, lol... I don't think we'll ever see him become a Prince, or die... He'll just be good ol' Abaddon forever and ever...

Temmy
09-09-2007, 14:40
I think Abbadon is looking to claim a larger prize. At some point there will be a big struggle between whatever warp power is forming around the emperor and the Gods of Chaos. I believe whatever happens, a new God will form that will represent humanities collective soul. Perhaps Abbadon believes he can be the one that will form the basis of this new warp power. This is why he has refused Daemonhood. As a Daemon Prince he would be beholden to some other power. He needs to retain his mortality and independence until his plan is complete.
Why settle to be a small extension of some other warp power, when you can become a great chaos god in your own right?

Iracundus
10-09-2007, 04:31
There is an element of free will involved in following Chaos. It's why someone has to actually consciously dedicate themselves to a god before being Marked. The gods cannot forcibly make you their champion if you really don't want to be. Abaddon's got 4 gods' marks on him. However in the 3.5 Codex I think there is a reference to Abaddon being like Horus in ensuring he doesn't become too much in the thrall of just one god. So even if one god were to offer daemonhood, presumably the other 3 would be opposed to Abaddon becoming a daemon of their rival. Since Abaddon also doesn't wish to become a daemon prince, that element of volition is what prevents him from being forcibly ascended to be an Undivided daemon prince.

Khaine's Messenger
10-09-2007, 05:24
it does not make sense does it?

There are...problems with the ephemeral existence provided by being a daemon. Mortals dialing at odd hours, defending your True Name from other daemons. As has been pointed out previously, it's just not worth the effort if you still have as much business on this plane as Abaddon does. Of course, what he might not realize is that such strange resonance can affect creatures of the physical world just as strongly. Abaddon "Thrice-Cursed" indeed. :p