PDA

View Full Version : Who thinkd ther should be a 40k Movie

TYRANOODLE
09-09-2007, 11:58
I think there should be a 40k movie based around the battle of macragge. Does anyone else think t would be a good idea?

Over and out

Merceus
09-09-2007, 12:05
Movie? yes

Macragge? no

Horus Heresy? yes, make it a three parter like LotR, maybe even 4 parts... based off of Horus Rising and its sequels...

I could only work if done in CG or with very unknown actors... preferabbly CG, like at the start of DoW... the original, DC had a rubbish opening in the way of how it looked...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
09-09-2007, 13:05
No, and why are there always so many damn "movie" threads?

id much rather prefer an Inquisitor or Gaunts Ghosts TV show. You dont have to be so "appeal to everyone" with tv shows as opposed to big budget movies like 40k would have to be.

Merceus
09-09-2007, 13:09
Why can't we have a movie? What if we want a movie? I know it would cool. I'd prefer a movie AND a TV show, but unfortunately we can't have our cake and at it too... apparently we aren't even aloud near the ******* bakery!

Slaaneshi Slave
09-09-2007, 13:18
Wargaming is a niche market with a tiny number of followers. Most people who aren't "into" it, think its sad and geeky. A big budget movie would flunk for this exact reason.

Merceus
09-09-2007, 13:22
Not if it was cool... DoW and FW got a lot of non-gamers attention... and even encouraged more people to start gaming... there's a chance the same could one day be said for a movie...

alexh
09-09-2007, 13:26
These 40k movie threads are getting as tedious as the SOB's didn't get anything for Apocalypse threads. If it's going to happen, GW will let us Know.

Merceus
09-09-2007, 13:29
This is the first 40K movie thread I've seen since I've been here... I know when GW still had their forum there was always a few of these, but this is the first time I've seen one here... and apart from the people who say "Not another one of these!" they can be very fun, talking about possibilities for a movie, how it would be done, if any famous people would star or direct, etc...

Hand of Dume
09-09-2007, 13:32
oh yeah! definately centered around the horus heresy, being that it was probably the most significant event in imperial history. the question i propose is, should it be animated or real actors?

Slaaneshi Slave
09-09-2007, 13:33
Not if it was cool... DoW and FW got a lot of non-gamers attention... and even encouraged more people to start gaming... there's a chance the same could one day be said for a movie...

DoW is a computer game. It got a lot of attention from other geeks who hadn't seen 40k before. A movie costing 20+m is a whole different kettle of fish.

Merceus
09-09-2007, 13:36
Not just geeks... I know a LOT of 100% ungeeky people who liked the games, especially Fire Warrior, and a few of them ended up getting into 40K... In terms of succes I think it would be similar to how well Transformers did, but maybe in a different way due to less people knowing about it...

@ Hand of Dume: definately have to be CG

Slaaneshi Slave
09-09-2007, 13:40
You're 16, you don't know a LOT of people period. :rolleyes:

Merceus
09-09-2007, 13:58
prove it :p

sebster
09-09-2007, 15:35
Wargaming is a niche market with a tiny number of followers. Most people who aren't "into" it, think its sad and geeky. A big budget movie would flunk for this exact reason.

It doesn't have to be big budget. One of the best things about the newer CGI techniques is how they allow good looking movies to get made for lower budgets. This is allowing studios to make spectacle style movies without needing access to every demographic to be profitable. Think of films like Sin City and 300, which were made for about $50 million each.

I don't think a multi-film epic is a particularly good idea, but a single film leaving the option open for expansion into a trilogy could be a solid idea.

Slaaneshi Slave
09-09-2007, 15:39
Oh, so only $50kk? :rolleyes:

sebster
09-09-2007, 16:04
Oh, so only $50kk? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the roll eyes... How much did you think movies cost?

And again, 300 and Sin City were considerably more obscure properties, with potentially much more limited markets than 40K, but they both did great business.

Slaaneshi Slave
09-09-2007, 16:07
Movies cost a fortune, but GW either has to persuade somebody esle to make it, or shell out all that money itself, which it is in no state to do.

Perfect Organism
09-09-2007, 16:21
I think it's a very viable IP to base a film on. Military SF films have done fairly well in the past and I think that the extra audience of WH40k fans will easily outweight any social stigma associated with the hobby.

GW have already licensed the rights to make computer games and board games based in the 40k setting, most of which did pretty well, and their 40k novels are available in pretty much any British bookstore (indeed, Dan Abbnett gets more shelf space in my local bookshop than most popular F/SF writers, many of whom have successful films based on their work).

In terms of the content, I think it would pretty much have to be a story about the Imperial Guard, simply because you need protagonists a general audience can identify with. I'd go with Necropolis from the Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Winimperial
09-09-2007, 16:37
You can fantasize, but it's not going to happen. for this type of a movie, you'd need lots of money. Lots and lots of money. Money that GW doesn't have. Unless, they sold the film rights to a major motion picture company like Microsoft did with Halo, but Warhammer 40,000 is no where near as popular or as big as Halo. Motion picture companys know that there is no money to be made in wargaming films. It's a relativley small market. It's considered "wierd" by most people, where as things like Halo are becoming more and more apart of today's pop culture.

Also, there would also be issues on concieving a movie. W40k is a very very broad universe. The average moviegoer will not understand the whole concept of Warhammer 40,000 in just a 2 hour movie. "Yes, but make it into a trilogy!" you say? Where as LOTR is simple concept with a single plotline, in W40k there are many different plotlines all attributing to the situation where there are many factions all trying to annihilate eachother in the 41st millenium, which will probally amount in a 3 hour gorefest movie, which not many people, besides the few Warhammer fans and a few others, are going to want to see.

Merceus
09-09-2007, 16:40
I've never really liked those movies that could have a sequel, but don't have to, then do... it just feels like the creators don't care about the story, they just want to make money by making sequels...

sebster
09-09-2007, 17:39
Movies cost a fortune, but GW either has to persuade somebody esle to make it, or shell out all that money itself, which it is in no state to do.

Well yeah, GW wouldn't make the movie. Forget the money, they have no expertise in film production.

But Marvel and DC don't make the movies based on their properties, Alan Moore didn't make From Hell or V for Vendetta, and Microsoft isn't making Halo. Movie making based on the creative works of others isn't just common in Hollywood, right now its almost a plague.

Savior Angel
09-09-2007, 17:46
I think there should be a movie. As people have said GW won't allow it.

If there was going to be a movie, I think the Horus Heresy would suit.

sebster
09-09-2007, 17:46
You can fantasize, but it's not going to happen. for this type of a movie, you'd need lots of money. Lots and lots of money. Money that GW doesn't have. Unless, they sold the film rights to a major motion picture company like Microsoft did with Halo, but Warhammer 40,000 is no where near as popular or as big as Halo. Motion picture companys know that there is no money to be made in wargaming films. It's a relativley small market. It's considered "wierd" by most people, where as things like Halo are becoming more and more apart of today's pop culture.

Like I said above, GW wouldn't make the movie, the license would be sold to an outside party.

Warhammer isn't anywhere near as big as Halo, but that's only an issue if you're strictly picking the license up for branding purposes, and you wouldn't be doing that. You'd pick up the license because you think the key visuals and concepts in the franchise can be made into a profitable movie.

Also, there would also be issues on concieving a movie. W40k is a very very broad universe. The average moviegoer will not understand the whole concept of Warhammer 40,000 in just a 2 hour movie. "Yes, but make it into a trilogy!" you say? Where as LOTR is simple concept with a single plotline, in W40k there are many different plotlines all attributing to the situation where there are many factions all trying to annihilate eachother in the 41st millenium, which will probally amount in a 3 hour gorefest movie, which not many people, besides the few Warhammer fans and a few others, are going to want to see.

But you wouldn't have to include all of that, or even 1/10th of it. You can keep it simple, a unit of IG fighting to stop a chaos incursion, before marines show up and help save the day, then turn on the guardsman as they're 'tainted', at which point our IG unit has to do something very clever to survive.

The good thing about 40k is that most of the concepts don't require much exposition at all. Show a seven foot tall nutter in power armour and people don't really need all that much explaining. Show a man giving a prayer before battle to the god-emperor and that's sufficient. Call someone a cultist and people know he's the bad guy.

Cenyu
09-09-2007, 17:53
Let Uwe Boll do it.

Traktor
09-09-2007, 18:07
i don't think there should be a 40k movie.not now, not ever,because there would be a LOT of influence from hollywood.just look what happened to lotr.it's an insult to fans and Tolkien..imagine a romantic adventure between an inquisitor and a daemonette.:p unlikely, but i wouldn't be surprised...

TYRANOODLE
09-09-2007, 18:38
Can i just point out, that some of the first posts were complaints about movie threads. If you dont like them dont go on them!

if they did make a movie though, I think the Imperials should be the antagonists. Some other race like eldar or chaos could be the 'good guys'.

Traktor
09-09-2007, 19:10
if they did make a movie though, I think the Imperials should be the antagonists. Some other race like eldar or chaos could be the 'good guys'.

don't know...wouldn't want massive battles with loads of spec.effects,it would be great if they make a movie based around novels space marine or inquisitor.those have a really gloomy atmosphere which superbly reflect the 40k universe

Lt. Co Steel
09-09-2007, 20:51
Also, there would also be issues on concieving a movie. W40k is a very very broad universe. The average moviegoer will not understand the whole concept of Warhammer 40,000 in just a 2 hour movie.

FW and DoW managed to do it very well, all that would be needed was a introductory prolouge thing like in fire warrior (voiced by Brian Blessed of course;)) just to give the general overview on what is going on.

inquisitor solarris
09-09-2007, 20:55
it is a great idea but knowing hollywood or some other production they will screw it up like most the other movies they made from other people's ideas

linvus232
09-09-2007, 21:07
What people need to remember is that the 40k fanbase alone is not nearly enough to support even a straight-to-DVD movie. And let's be honest, would anyone who didn't play 40k really want to sit through 2 or so hours of The Horus Heresy, when only given a film prologue's worth of introduction to the entire universe?

The only way I think a 40k-based movie could possibly work is with the universe itself as a backdrop to a more 'mainstream' storyline, such as gang warfare (which does go on in the 40k universe), or a detective-style thing with some of the more easily-understood aspects of the Inquisition. I think this sort of grim background would complement such a story well, but even that's at a push.

Cenyu
09-09-2007, 21:56
And let's be honest, would anyone who didn't play 40k really want to sit through 2 or so hours of The Horus Heresy, when only given a film prologue's worth of introduction to the entire universe?

Uhm.... it worked with LotR which is not really that much less complex than Warhammer 40K. Do you all slightly underestimate the intelligence and attention span of an average movie-goer?

Weazle
09-09-2007, 22:44
Free Damnatus!

Master Bait
10-09-2007, 02:46
feh, it'd work if properly executed - its not as if aliens, star wars, predator, 5th element, terminator, blade runner, so on and so on, had any real franchise to kick start them off when they started.

and bring the carnage, i reckon massive battle and violence is what'll attract a lot of people, probably win over a lot of sci fi fans new to the 40k universe.

catbarf
10-09-2007, 03:14
feh, it'd work if properly executed - its not as if aliens, star wars, predator, 5th element, terminator, blade runner, so on and so on, had any real franchise to kick start them off when they started.

Look at when those were made. Nowadays the whole point of movies is to make loads of money by appealing to everyone, product placing EVERYWHERE, and signing deals to produce things based on the movie. It wouldn't work with 40k.

sebster
10-09-2007, 03:57
Look at when those were made. Nowadays the whole point of movies is to make loads of money by appealing to everyone, product placing EVERYWHERE, and signing deals to produce things based on the movie. It wouldn't work with 40k.

No, quite the opposite is true. Even 5 years ago the cost to make a decent looking sci-fi film had forced productions up into the $100 million range, meaning to be profitable they had to be blockbusters and so had to appeal to every demographic. More recent CGI techniques have changed that, so that you can make a terrific looking film with loads of visual effects for under $50 million. At that price range you can afford to limit your demographic and that frees you up to include more adult themes. This is the model films like 300 and Sin City have followed to considerable success.

alexh
10-09-2007, 04:14
No, quite the opposite is true. Even 5 years ago the cost to make a decent looking sci-fi film had forced productions up into the $100 million range, meaning to be profitable they had to be blockbusters and so had to appeal to every demographic. More recent CGI techniques have changed that, so that you can make a terrific looking film with loads of visual effects for under $50 million. At that price range you can afford to limit your demographic and that frees you up to include more adult themes. This is the model films like 300 and Sin City have followed to considerable success.

I think what catbarf meant was that there would be very little (if any) after-movie revenue for the film maker.

sebster
10-09-2007, 04:28
I think what catbarf meant was that there would be very little (if any) after-movie revenue for the film maker.

He didnt mention anything of the sort. He complained of a trend in Hollywood towards blander movies. I pointed out the opposite is true.

Im not sure why youd be particularly concerned about movie revenues when there have been a recent string of genre films aimed at a more mature audience that have had considerable success at the box office and in DVD sales.

Im not saying 40k would be a sure-fire hit, theyd still need to make a decent movie and even then it might not do all that well, but there is certainly a track record of similar movies doing well in recent times.

alexh
10-09-2007, 06:09
He didnt mention anything of the sort. He complained of a trend in Hollywood towards blander movies. I pointed out the opposite is true.

Im not sure why youd be particularly concerned about movie revenues when there have been a recent string of genre films aimed at a more mature audience that have had considerable success at the box office and in DVD sales.

Im not saying 40k would be a sure-fire hit, theyd still need to make a decent movie and even then it might not do all that well, but there is certainly a track record of similar movies doing well in recent times.

Product placement and signing deals to produce stuff based on the movie. What's that if it's not after-movie cash generation?

sebster
10-09-2007, 08:04
Product placement and signing deals to produce stuff based on the movie. What's that if it's not after-movie cash generation?

Ah, I see know. My mistake.

Im not sure why youd suggest the franchise lacks merchandising options. Sure, there wont be anyone in the movie drinking the cool refreshing taste of Pepsi, but like any other genre movie theres a massive range of toys, collectibles and other crap you could push.

Marshal Argos
10-09-2007, 08:30
Free Damnatus! (http://www.damnatus.com/)

Seconded!

GW will never allow a full length movie. The one that was created cost them nothing, the fans made it. In the end, GW slamed the door shut and said they are not allowed to release it. Even if it was going to be released for "free".

alexh
10-09-2007, 08:38
Ah, I see know. My mistake.

Im not sure why youd suggest the franchise lacks merchandising options. Sure, there wont be anyone in the movie drinking the cool refreshing taste of Pepsi, but like any other genre movie theres a massive range of toys, collectibles and other crap you could push.

Technically, there is already a massive range of toys and somehow I don't think GW would want a third party producing action figures from their IP. I may be wrong but I don't see it happening.

zealot!
25-09-2007, 04:38
Free Damnatus! (http://www.damnatus.com/)

GW will never allow a full length movie. The one that was created cost them nothing, the fans made it. In the end, GW slamed the door shut and said they are not allowed to release it. Even if it was going to be released for "free".

Sry for the threadomancy, but why does GW allow people release something amazing and secksy and beautiful like the Heresy rules that the BoLS (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com)guys created, but canned that movie project. i mean if you watch the trailers its flippin sweet imho.

Hostilius
25-09-2007, 05:24
Warhammer Fantasy would be a more feasible option than 40k primarily because in Fantasy, we dont complicated things like the Immaterium, Warp Travel, Pyskers and Chaos Marines (I was wtf? when I first encounter Chaos Space Marines after playing Space Hulk).

Final Fantasy Advent Children is a great CG movie. The downfall of it is the plotline. Me for example dont play Final Fantasy games so I find the plotline barely comprehensible. The same I can anticipate for viewers who never know anything about 40k when explaining the Immaterium or Imperial Cult to them.

zealot!
25-09-2007, 05:31

in fantasy they call psykers 'mages'

;)

Terrordar
25-09-2007, 05:38
Copied from my post at Relic Forums

Well, its been a VERY long time since I last posted, so I just had to put my chips in.

If they were to do a Warhammer 40,000 movie. It should only have the history of the Emperor and Horus shown at the very beginning. Showing the Emperor conquering worlds, then the Heresy, then the final duel, all in under five minutes, before moving into "And in the 41rst Millennium, 10,000 years after these events. The Imperium still stands... But not without a world of horror... and war." And after that line, do a quick flash of each of their enemies, to keep the fans of armies that can't broadly appear in the movies content.

From Orks storming over an Imperial Position. To Tau Firewarriors securing a location from surrendering Guardsmen. To Necrons marching through a dead, and lifeless city. To Tyranids, devouring a lush, beautiful world. To Chaos, cutting through and destroying innocents before them. To Eldar, sneaking through the shadows, dozens of slain bodies left quietly behind them.

The movie's main characters should predominantly be Imperial Guard, however. Now, I believe Space Marines should be in the movie, but say there was only a limited number of them. An entire planet beset by war, defended by its people and Guardsmen, with only half a company of Space Marines there to assist them.

The enemies should be either Chaos, or Orks.

And more or less, start with 4 Imperial Guard characters who would be considered major. One space marine, but not one who takes up the bulk of the character development. The Marine is not there for the end of the movie. The movie and the final battles should be won by the Guardsmen, the common man overcoming the unspeakable horrors that have beset his world. And only one should be left alive by the end of the movie, the others dying horrible and grizzely deaths. The man himself though, should lose everything in the war, his family, friends, ect. Then the last part of the movie should be him doing a narrative, as if speaking to the past, as you see him hanging from the side of an Imperial Transport in Karsikan armor. Having signed on perminantly with his regiment, now being trained for killing and a hardened veteran, being sent off to the next hellhole to fight the enemies of man.

Triggerdog
25-09-2007, 05:58
I'd only entrust a 40k movie to Virtual Studios, the group that did 300. I also think Gerard Butler would do great as the Emperor in a horus heresy movie. For Horus I would say someone like Ralph Fiennes.

As for a Gaunt's Ghosts movie or TV show I'd like to see maybe Clive Owen as Gaunt and David O'Hara as Mkoll or Larkin (although I think Guy Pearce would be a much better Larkin).

a movie or series based around Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers could be cool. Neal McDonough would be good as Schaeffer.

anything concerning Eisenhorn should be played by Anthony Hopkins IMHO

feel free to Google any names to dont recognize, if you couldnt tell I like my movies.

zealot!
25-09-2007, 06:54
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t_ZDeIlg-IY

thats a 40k fan film.

theres a few of them.

im starting to get enraged about the fact that i cant watch damnatus in its entirety.

Str10_hurts
25-09-2007, 14:28
Oh well another tread so I'll brink it up again...

First book of the spacewolf series.
This book will speak to a large part of the audience. As Ragnar learns about the imperium and becoming a spacemarine, so will the audience.

So in big lines it will look like a normal guy becomming a hero.

Its perfect!

FigureFour
25-09-2007, 14:40
Not if it was cool... DoW and FW got a lot of non-gamers attention...

No they didn't. The people who bought those VIDEO GAMES were all gamers, just some of them played a different kind of game.

And a 40k movie would be a ****** idea. Even if they DID make one and managed to make money off it (practicly impossible) there is a 99% chance that it would be a steaming pile of crap that would insult and anger all the 40k fans who saw it.

Ravenous
25-09-2007, 14:51
Why dont the Damnatus guys just put it on Youtube?

GW doesnt have the balls to go after anyone bigger then them.

Carousel
25-09-2007, 15:30
Please never let anyone make a 40K movie. Has there ever been a good movie inspired by a computer game? No. A 40K movie would be in the exact same vein - either low budget and so won't do it justice, or full of crap acting and crap story. It would just be a bad, dull film. To do well it needs real money, real acting, the ability to capture the grimness of 40K. I can't imagine there would be a company big enough to do it well willing to finance it.