PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen and mortal armies...

bigbear bailey
09-09-2007, 18:50
I have been reading alot of the warhammer novels as of late and I have yet to see a book where the two fight together against one cause... Could you guys give me an example of how they could link up like that... Please use examples out of fluff or warhammer novels because I want to make sure my army is themed...

Neknoh
09-09-2007, 19:09
Fluff-wise, I'd say have a look at the mutants of the Empire, they band together with the Beastmen out in the fields.

Other than that, I don't think there are any concrete stories on that topic, personally, I'd ask you to remember that Beasts aknowledge strength above all else, if a Chaos Lord defeats a Beastlord in unarmed combat, the Chaos Lord will have the herd following him. Also, it isn't all too unlikely that a cast out Mortal leader and his men join a Herd, their martial prowess or godly blessings should have the Beasts respect them enough to let them in

GranFarfar
09-09-2007, 20:47
What do you mean by fluff? Does the slayer books count? Causs I belive that it is in beast - slayer, when fighting in Kislev they face off against an chaos army consisting of deamons, mortals and beasts.

pox
10-09-2007, 06:28
I like to think of the beast/horde/daemon trinity as a general axis of evil. they all have there own agendas and goals, but will work together when they have any kind of common goal.
The northern tribes would fight along side beastmen to crush a weaker clan, for example.
In the books of chaos, it talks about turn-skins, who were human at one point but changed to beastmen. the beasts don't recognize them as true "gors", but they can gain respect from killing. they are instruments used by mortal champions to forge alliances with beast herds.
It is rare, but beatsmen can achieve damonic ascension, and become daemon princes, worshiped by their old herd as gods. this opens up all kinds of possibilities, as the price is now playing on the big chess board, and privy to more information and power.

all this is from just published background materials, I can cite more specific sources if you need. the books of chaos are invaluable for writing fluff for your chaos army.

bigbear bailey
10-09-2007, 18:10
Thanks pox, best answer I have heard from the topic... I want to post a list and see what you guys think for fluff...

pox
10-09-2007, 22:11
no problem. I was thing about it today at work, and its the nurgle book of chaos that has all the beast of chaos info in it. if you can snag a copy of that, it should have all the info you need. (if you need more, that is.)

BattleofLund
10-09-2007, 23:45
The Konrad trilogy; at least #1 (Konrad) and #2 (Shadowbreed) have examples of mixed Chaos forces under the command of various Champions.

In Konrada Champion of Tzeentch leads/masterminds/participates in an eclectic alliance of evil targeting Konrad's home village. Orcs, Skaven, Beastmen, Goblins, Men, Spawn-things etc. The novel also features 'pure' Beastman forces attacking a fortified mining village.

Shadowbreed sees Konrad held captive by a Khorne warband featuring Beastmen, Mutants and Chaos knights (also, a mobile Khorne altar).

Chaos Champions rarely seem to be picky about who they lead. Then again, anyone they lead can expect to have the life expectancy of a marshmallow in a sumo wrestler academy...

Ktotwf
11-09-2007, 02:11
In the Mark of Chaos novelization, both Beastmen and Chaos Mortals attack some fortress, and get slaughtered by Elves and Empire Greatswordsmen.

Rioghan Murchadha
11-09-2007, 04:06
Just remember.. GW's typical stance/fluff on beastmen is "They live in drakwald forest.. sometimes they kill people.. Sometimes the Empire kills them."

It's pretty tough to ally with anyone when that's roughly the extent of your background..

Ktotwf
11-09-2007, 04:08
Just remember.. GW's typical stance/fluff on beastmen is "They live in drakwald forest.. sometimes they kill people.. Sometimes the Empire kills them."

It's pretty tough to ally with anyone when that's roughly the extent of your background..

There is also their general love of romantic novels and fine Bretonnian cuisine.

Rioghan Murchadha
11-09-2007, 04:16
There is also their general love of romantic novels and fine Bretonnian cuisine.

Point, however, that doesn't really impact their alliances with Chaos Mortals.. Unless said mortals were willing to lend them some new novels, or if the Chaos Champion had been a Bretonnian chef before he turned.