PDA

View Full Version : weapons of the primarchs

09-09-2007, 17:59
okay i've been wondering what weapons each of the primarchs used pre-heresy and heresy era and if there is no written evidence as of yet what do you think hey would of used

so far i know:

mortarion : manreaper and the lantern
angron : a pair of chain axes and a chain glave
perturabo: siegebreaker

and what are your opinions on the other primarchs

cheers

Nath

Lavadude360
09-09-2007, 18:04
well iirc

fulgrim had a collection of swords

Rogue 7
09-09-2007, 18:23
Russ definitely had a spear of some sort, as I recall from reading space wolf fluff.

Savant
09-09-2007, 18:54
Well, the book Fulgrim went into a lot of detail regarding what weapons Fulgrim and Ferrus Manus used. Fulgrim used a sword made by Ferrus for most of the Crusade, and Ferrus used his amazing talent of crying non-stop like a little girl in leau of a weapon. And he used a hammer too.

It also says that Ferrus forged Vulkan a gun, but Vulkan gave it back to Ferrus after a hundred years because he didn't like the nasty loud noise it made when he fired it.

Hlokk
09-09-2007, 19:22
IIRC, Corax used a pair of lightning claws, as did night haunter.

Alpharius
09-09-2007, 19:37
I don't think you're recalling correctly, for the most part...

I don't think Corax forged the twin lightning claws until *after* the Heresy, and I don't think he used them much before going on his "Eye of Terror" walk-about.

And, he definitely left them behind... So...

Of course, I could be (and probably am!) wrong!

Hlokk
09-09-2007, 19:41
I don't think Corax forged the twin lightning claws until *after* the Heresy, and I don't think he used them much before going on his "Eye of Terror" walk-about.

He had them in Fulgrim, Pg 454:

"His eyes were murderously dark coals, and long gleaming talons of silver were unsheathed over his gauntlets"

Im sure thats a pair of lightning claws, and I think your thinking of the pair Corax has...

Dalenator
09-09-2007, 19:45
I think sanguinius had a spear of Telios or something......

Brother Enok
09-09-2007, 19:53
Lion El Johnson had the lionblade did he not.

I imagine Kharn had a spear or lance of some sort, and always envisioned Vulkan with a hammer.

The Emporer is seen with a power claw/fist and a flaming sword.

Luthien
09-09-2007, 20:01
I recall that Russ had a weapon called the Frostblade, i'm not sure if this still stands though and everyone is forgetting the infamous Talon of Horus

Hlokk
09-09-2007, 20:03
I recall that Russ had a weapon called the Frostblade,
I Think your right there, but the term has come to mean any chain weapon used by the SWs with teeth of a kraken.

Alpharius
09-09-2007, 20:12
He had them in Fulgrim, Pg 454:

"His eyes were murderously dark coals, and long gleaming talons of silver were unsheathed over his gauntlets"

Im sure thats a pair of lightning claws, and I think your thinking of the pair Corax has...

Well, there you have it then!

I'm more of an "old school canon" guy, as opposed to the new school stuff!

I'm pretty sure that the old INDEX ASTARTES article makes no mention of the master crafted renderific lightning claws, and I can't remember what Shrike's entry in the latest C:SM says either...

Dragonlover
09-09-2007, 20:47
Heres the list, as best as I've managed to determine from the novels and Visions books:

Lion: Lion Sword
Fulgrim: Fireblade, the blade from the Laer temple
Perturabo: Pre-Heresy no idea, but during and after he uses Forgebreaker
Khan: Tulwar
Russ: 1h sword, also Spear of Russ and Frostblade
Dorn: Soulspear, wide bladed 1h sword, some kind of pistol
Konrad Curze: Lightning claws
Sanguinius: 2h sword, Spear of Telesto
Ferrus Manus: Hammer (Forgebreaker)
Angron: Either 2h chainaxe or 2 1h chainaxes
Guilliman: Sword
Mortarion: His poison ball grenade things, the Manreaper and the Lantern
Magnus the Red: Sorcery, 2h axe
Horus: Talon of, 1h sword, mace
Lorgar: Mace (I'm making an assumption here)
Vulkan: Hammers!!
Corax: Lightning Claws
Alpharius: Anything and everything.

Thats the lot that I've managed to work out/guess at.

Dragonlover

GreenDracoBob
09-09-2007, 21:19
I do believe that many of the primarchs fought with whatever they felt like. Sure, they had favorite weapons, but they could also fight with just about anything. Horus used at least three weapons and many different armors in the art/stories, and he couldn't use them all at once, so you could reasonably assume that all the primarchs have collections they choose from to arm themselves.

MadDoc
10-09-2007, 05:37
Russ' frostblade was called Mjalnar, no points for picking the inspiration there.
As for the others' weapons, everyone seems to be on the money.
Slightly OT, but I'm finally getting around to picking up the Horus Heresy novels starting with Flight of the Eisenstein. Any suggestions on which one to pick up next (Descent of Angels is a given as I'm a DA player)? Fulgrim perhaps?

Rogue 7
10-09-2007, 05:39
Similar to the name of Thor's hammer, correct?

MadDoc
10-09-2007, 05:46
Similar to the name of Thor's hammer, correct?

Correct. Although it is quite obvious, hence the "no points for picking the inspiration there" remark. Also quite amusing that Russ has a special belt too. ;)

Parallels, parallels everywhere, enough to make you stop and think...
Ahem. Anyway moving right along...

Jonke
10-09-2007, 09:03
Slightly OT, but I'm finally getting around to picking up the Horus Heresy novels starting with Flight of the Eisenstein. Any suggestions on which one to pick up next (Descent of Angels is a given as I'm a DA player)? Fulgrim perhaps?

The novels are sequential so my recommendation is to start with Horus Rising. Flight of the Eisenstain is the 4th novel in the series.

Peace!

Hlokk
10-09-2007, 09:14
Its also worth pointing out that night haunter had a kind of crown called the Corona Nox. I think theres supposed to be some sort of psychic energy in there or something, but not entirely sure.

Eetion
10-09-2007, 14:16
Also the Alpha Legion IA Describe a fight between Gulliman and Alpharius as both using powerswords. But then that particular IA isnt the most reliable of passages.

Geetarman
10-09-2007, 14:53
Heres the list, as best as I've managed to determine from the novels and Visions books:
Russ: 1h sword, also Spear of Russ and Frostblade

This entry just made me think, doesn't it make Russ

a) A complete ass for naming his weapon after himself.
b) This is the most rubbish weapon during the time of being used

Imagine Russ was actually called Dave, he'd be weilding the spear of Dave, meh...

Gman

Luthien
10-09-2007, 15:23
Remember that primarchs could change weapons if they wished, we only know about the most famous ones, Talon, spear of telesto etc. there is no reason why guillman and alpharius couldn't use PS if the mood struck them

The pestilent 1
10-09-2007, 16:47
Remember that primarchs could change weapons if they wished, we only know about the most famous ones, Talon, spear of telesto etc. there is no reason why guillman and alpharius couldn't use PS if the mood struck them

I dunno, I see Guillman being terribly analy retentive about every aspect of his life, and using the same weapon over and over no matter how irrelevant or stupid it might be to the situation.

ryng_sting
10-09-2007, 17:31
okay i've been wondering what weapons each of the primarchs used pre-heresy and heresy era and if there is no written evidence as of yet what do you think hey would of used

so far i know:

mortarion : manreaper and the lantern
angron : a pair of chain axes and a chain glave
perturabo: siegebreaker

and what are your opinions on the other primarchs

cheers

Nath

Horus - lightning claw and power weapon, later used earliest storm bolter.
Russ - Mjolnir, a frostblade.
Vulkan - hammer and souped-up melta pistol.
Fulgrim - longsword.
Ferrus Manus - hammer.
Sanguinius - sword.
Magnus - axe.
Rogal Dorn - sword and pistol.
Guilliman - gauntlets of Ultramar, judging by his Sabretooth artwork.
Khan - pistol and power scimitar.

I've yet to see anything about Corax, Alpharius and Night Haunter's pre-heresy choice of weapons. They were proficient in most weapons anyway, so the items themselves aren't that relevant.

Baaltharus
10-09-2007, 18:57
Sanguinuis is only ever said to have used a Spear in the truly awful 'Deus' books, in every other reference he uses 'the sword of fire'. 99% of people who have read the Deus books seem to shy away from using it as a reference and with good reason.

Daemonslave
10-09-2007, 20:35
Fulgrim was also given the Anatheme (sword):)

darknar
10-09-2007, 20:41
ferrus manus also reforged and used the Fireblade(that fulgrim left behind) later on. to his death though :(

heretics bane
10-09-2007, 20:53
May i ask what is the spear of telesto? Rodgal dorn had a lot of powerful weaponry, soulspear is a vortex CC weapon and i could possiblie see him with a thuder hammer(iconic with his siege speicality) and a storm shield

Hive Mind 33
10-09-2007, 22:46

Imagine Russ was actually called Dave, he'd be weilding the spear of Dave, meh...

Gman

it is called the spear of russ by the space wolves because it was russ's spear. Im sure it was just a spear to Russ himself

FarseerMatt
10-09-2007, 23:16
Guilliman - gauntlets of Ultramar, judging by his Sabretooth artwork.

He got them off a Chaos Lord he killed, did he not? Presumably a Traitor Space Marine Chaos Lord, as they are marine-size weapons, and there were no CSMs before the Heresy. Also, the "Gamalia Reclusiam Massacre" sounds like a defensive battle fought on an Imperial world to me, again probably during the Heresy. So, would he not have been using something else during the Great Crusade (pre-Heresy)?

Baaltharus
11-09-2007, 12:22
May i ask what is the spear of telesto? Rodgal dorn had a lot of powerful weaponry, soulspear is a vortex CC weapon and i could possiblie see him with a thuder hammer(iconic with his siege speicality) and a storm shield

Its the Spear Sanguinuis was supposed to have used during the HH (but never actually did in any other background).

Lord Hjamlar
12-09-2007, 19:26

Gman

Well being honest, check the earlier post about Russ weapon... Mjalnar it was called, also I suppose Frostblade = Mjalnar = 1h power weapon or axe... Spear of Russ if it was called like that, wasn't made of krakens sth or wrong legend? Why u say it's the most rubbish weapon during the time of being used?!

LexxBomb
13-09-2007, 02:48
what ever happened to the rune blades the emperor gave the primarchs