PDA

View Full Version : Can Chaos ever be redeemed?

Quentin
09-09-2007, 18:23
Can someone who has turned to Chaos ever be redeemed and turn away from the Ruinous Powers of the Warp?

For instance, could a Chaos Space Marine ever find it within himself to turn back to the Emperor? Or a corrupted Imperial Guardsmen? What about a corrupted Xenos (Eldar, Tau etc.)

Whether or not they'd be welcomed back into the Imperial fold is a different matter entirely of course, but is it at all possible for such individuals to recant? Or are they hopelessly doomed to serve Chaos no matter what?

Crazy Tom
09-09-2007, 18:27
Depends.

If you are fooled into doing the work of chaos, sure. If you progressively slide towards using chaos I'm sure it could be possible for there to be redemption. But if you actively sit up and praise the Ruinous Powers? I think that would be a no-no.

Meanwhile for daemonic possession, yes. Isn't there a place in the Webway where people who survive daemonic possesion are taken? They have a special name anyway, although I think this is older fluff. And the occurence is understandably quite rare.

Chilltouch
09-09-2007, 18:29
At the early stages, yes.

The more extreme the mutations, the more extreme the reaction when you falter. It's addictive. The deeper you delve, the more you take in, the more you rely on it. When you suddenly decide to leave Chaos behind once you've gone too deep, you transform into a Spawn of Chaos.

Sojourner
09-09-2007, 18:40
If by Redemption you mean a quick and painless death such that your soul goes unto the Emperor, then yes - if you repent each and every one of your heresies.

Tanith Ghost
09-09-2007, 18:48
Depends.

If you are fooled into doing the work of chaos, sure. If you progressively slide towards using chaos I'm sure it could be possible for there to be redemption. But if you actively sit up and praise the Ruinous Powers? I think that would be a no-no.

Meanwhile for daemonic possession, yes. Isn't there a place in the Webway where people who survive daemonic possesion are taken? They have a special name anyway, although I think this is older fluff. And the occurence is understandably quite rare.

Self-overthrowing of possesion makes the one ridding themselves of a daemon an illuminati. This confers a number of powers and abilities, not least of which is an innate knowledge of chaos and complete immunity from any future possesion. Once you show it the door with your own mind, that daemon is never coming back, and any others won't even be able to get their foot in the door.

RampagingRavener
09-09-2007, 18:55
In the early stages, before your mind gets too twisted, I'd say yet. It'd be possible for a cultist to back out morally/spiritually/whatever-ly and try to leave Chaos. Odds are he'd likely be hunted down by more dedicated Chaos Worshippers and killed, however. And if on the odd-chance a more deeply involved Chaos worshipper had a flash of conscience and changed his mind, whatever Chaos God he had pledged himself to would probably just zap him into a Spawn.

And even if you survived, as Sojourner said, the Imperium would basicly torture you once you'd admitted every single heresy and told them everything you knew about local cults and other Chaos worshippers, then burn you to death.

EmperorEternalXIX
09-09-2007, 19:07
Well there are some examples of such things in the literature. The Soul Drinkers chapter, for example, become mutated by Chaos to a degree but they don't realize they are worshipping a Chaos Daemon; they think that it's a gift from the Emperor. Once they realize this, they fight it; genetically they halt the mutation, too (though never reverse it, I believe).

In another short story I read, Brother Castus is turned to Nurgle with Sister Aescarion at his side. For years, she hunts him, but it shows his transition into lifeless daemonic servant and his struggling to remember her.

SPOILER ALERT:

In the end, he returns to his Daemon Prince progenitor with a massive bomb embedded in his chest, after Aescarion talks to him, and destroys himself and his master. So while he never turned back...he made a conscious decision to betray the Ruinous Powers. God knows what's possible in 40k.

Hlokk
09-09-2007, 19:19
IIRC there was a cartoon in Inferno or Warhammer comic about a marine who'd gone to chaos and then wished to repent. I think he was sent on a suicide mission by the chapter, and if he survived, he was forgiven.

Plus lets not forget chapters like the space sharks, who sided with Chaos when Hurion Blackheart rebelled against the imperium. Some chapters were forgiven for being misled, but forced to relinquish their home planets and go on 1000 year long pentient crusades.

Alpharius
09-09-2007, 19:33
IIRC there was a cartoon in Inferno or Warhammer comic about a marine who'd gone to chaos and then wished to repent. I think he was sent on a suicide mission by the chapter, and if he survived, he was forgiven.

Plus lets not forget chapters like the space sharks, who sided with Chaos when Hurion Blackheart rebelled against the imperium. Some chapters were forgiven for being misled, but forced to relinquish their home planets and go on 1000 year long pentient crusades.

Are you sure the Space Sharks sided with Blackheart?

I thought they fought against the rebellion, and as such, were given the Mantis Warriors homeworld as a prize. Though the Manits Warriors later repented and are on a penitent crusade, etc.

Either way, as the Space Sharks are saddled with the 40K Universe's silliest Chapter Logo, well, that should be punishment enough!

carlisimo
09-09-2007, 19:34
I dunno, everything I've read suggests that coming back into the fold and begging for forgiveness only results in a quick death rather than a slow one. So yes, you can deny Chaos, but it isn't good for you unless you just flee from everyone as a renegade.

Even a slight taint of Chaos is enough to condemn a man in the Imperium's eyes.

Hlokk
09-09-2007, 19:36
Are you sure the Space Sharks sided with Blackheart?
Well, not exactly 100% sure, but I know they were definitely involved somewhere with the malestrom.

If they did rebel, I would have forced them to rename themselves "OMFG, STELTH MARINES"

Kage2020
09-09-2007, 21:02
Can someone who has turned to Chaos ever be redeemed and turn away from the Ruinous Powers of the Warp?
The Illuminati springs to mind, although one can obviously respond that they are not voluntary converts to Chaos. With that said, though, I would say, yes, of course someone that was previously in the service of Chaos could turn back to a non-Chaos (I don't just include the Emperor in that!) attitude. That still doesn't change the fact that they are corrupted...

Indeed, consider the nature of the Tainted.

Kage

Khaine's Messenger
09-09-2007, 23:08

The thing you have to keep in mind when you ask this sort of question is the degree to which you think the influence of Chaos goes. Since there is a mocking reflection of pretty much every human (and inhuman) quality or emotion in the bubbling foam of the warp, one has to wonder what the cost of such rejection is. Most of the background examples that I can recall offhand tend towards a monstrously self-destructive backlash that becomes rather terminal in the incredibly short-term. The only counter-examples that come to mind are Arquleon Veq (from Daemonworld) and the illuminati.

This isn't to say that you can't get over it, but you have to keep in mind that not everyone is told what they're getting into. And not everyone has the benefit of being able to recognize what is Chaotic and what is not...which is why the Imperium and its Inquisition are insanely paranoid at times. To "reject" Chaos, you first have to recognize that it's there, and only then realize that it's a problem.

The pestilent 1
09-09-2007, 23:10
Generally speaking no, They are often too far gone and to sure of their own motives to ever return to the "light" (With regards to the Imperium, I use the term very loosely)
However it isn't unheard of, Fallen (As in the Dress marines who fell) have been known to repent, but it's rare.

Calden
09-09-2007, 23:30
I think there is a marine chapter that was knocked up by the Inquisition, where every single marine is forcibly possessed by a daemon, and then it is expelled some how. Don't remember their name, but their background was featured on the old Armageddon campaign website.

Tanith Ghost
09-09-2007, 23:36
The Exoorcists. Marines allowed to be possesed and then rid of the taint
The survivors proved to be very effective against daemons, knowing exactly what they are up against and how to kill them.

slasher
10-09-2007, 03:28
Dont forget the (now old) chaos codex mentions the Black legion losing a lot of marines - dead, who allowed them selves to be possesed by demons of one of the major powers when they stoped worshiping that god, up untill they found a way of preventing this anyway. IIRC it says that when the company / band stopped worshiping the god all the minor demons left the bodies of the marines they had posses leaving them as lifeless husks.

Now my point is - is that if some one stops worshiping a chaos god it turns round and takes back what ever its given them. So like others have already said, it depends on how far in you where as to wether or not you can.

(Hope that make sense :p)

Iracundus
10-09-2007, 03:35
In the Realms of Chaos books, Sensei had the power to redeem and remove Chaos gifts from one turning away from Chaos. This was if I remember correctly dependent on the subject actually willingly doing so, though the Sensei had a power that had a chance of penetrating even fairly deadset Chaos worshipper minds and dazzling them with the power of the Starchild. Though then I suppose the question arises that is it really free will deciding to turn after experiencing the Starchild or is another form of supernatural coercion or brainwashing.

ryng_sting
10-09-2007, 17:34
Provided you haven't already sold your soul to Chaos. Else you're screwed.

FigureFour
10-09-2007, 18:53
We cannot be redeemed. Stop trying allready.

We're happy here in The Warp.

Pooky
10-09-2007, 23:24
Once you make a conscience decision to accept Chaos you can never come back!

It's GAME OVER!
It's final!
It's thanks for coming, ya'all don't come back now, ya hear?!

YOU CAN NEVER COME BACK! NEVER!!1! :mad: