PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians vs High Elves, 2,000 points (Very long)

Bretonnian Lord
11-09-2007, 02:45
Well, after getting pasted by my friend's High Elves twice in a row, I posted on Warseer for help. Some of you probably saw my army list and commented it on it. Just posting a battle report for entertainment but also a tactical analysis of my list, if it did worse, better, etc...

I started using those newfangled online map makers, hehe.

So, here are my Bretonnians:

Sir Eric, Paladin
-Falcon Horn of Fredemund
-Barded Bretonnian Warhorse
-Great Weapon
-Shield
-Questing Vow

Sir Benjamin, Paladin
-Questing Vow
-Great Weapon

Sir Leofric, Paladin BSB
-Virtue of Duty

Damsel Aelis
-Bretonnian Warhorse
-2 Dispel Scrolls

Damsel Meghan
-Bretonnian Warhorse
-2 Dispel Scrolls

Core

5 Knights of the Realm
-Joined by Sir Benjamin

8 Knights of the Realm
-Joined by Sir Leofric

9 Knights of the Realm
-Standard Bearer, Twilight Banner

18 Peasant Bowmen
-Skirmishers, Villein

Special

8 Questing Knights
-Joined by Sir Eric

5 Pegasus Knights
-Standard Bearer
-Musician

Rare

Field Trebuchet

Field Trebuchet

And his High Elves:

Level 4 Archmage
-Book of Hoeth
-Great Eagle

Level 2 Mage
-Ring that has fury of khaine bound spell
-Horse

Commander
-Weapon that allows no armor save
-Heavy armor, shield, etc standard upgrades
-Horse

BSB
-Battle Banner
-Horse

16 Archers

15 Spearmen

14 Silver Helms, full command

2 Chariots

4 Repeater Bolt Throwers.

Deployment: I didn't know how to make a hill, so I just used fences to represent the hill that his RBTs were on. Other than that you can see in the picture:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5842/deploymentkm2.png

I had been losing badly to his Elves previously, so I developed a new strategy. My trebuchets and archers would take care of his RBTs and archers, my Peggies would assasinate his mages with the help of the Falcon horn, and my knights would pick targets of opportunity. At least, that was my plan if it went perfectly, and as we all know, something usually screws them up ...

Turn 1:

I pray for the blessing, so he goes first. He moves his silver helms forward about 10 inches, his spearmen march 10 inches towards my trebuchet, and his archmage and level 2 wizard move alongside the silver helms, slightly behind them. I use two dispel scrolls in his magic phase and prevent him from casting. His RBTs target Sir Leofric and Sir Eric's units, killing 2 Questing Knights but no knights of the realm.

My turn, I charge his Silver Helms with my Questing Knights (successful), his spearmen with Damsel Aelis' unit of Knights (successful) and his chariots with Sir Leofric's unit (Failed). I keep my peasant bowmen where they are but move all my units forward. My Pegasus Knights fly toward his archmage, landing close to him. In the shooting phase, my trebuchets nail 1 RBT and take its crew out of action.

In combat, Aelis' knights easily force the spearmen to run off the board and reform to face the silver helm units. In Sir Eric's battle, I inflict 1 wound on his BSB and kill three silver helms. In return he kills none of mine but his Battle Banner gave him a 5, making me fail the combat by 3. I fail my break test at Leadership 5 and Sir Eric and his Questing Knights are run down. Drats! 300+ points down the tube and I didn't get to use the Falcon horn, an integral part of my plan.

End of Turn 1: http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9117/endofturn1we5.png

Turn 2: His Silver Helms charge Damsel Aelis' knights. His archmage flies away from my pegasus Knights, about 10 inches behind them. His level 2 wizard heads towards my trebuchets. His chariots double charge Sir Leofric's unit. In his shooting phase he takes down 1 Pegasus Knight. His magic is again foiled by a dispel scroll and a miscast.

In combat, the silver helms with battle banner easily rout Damsel Aelis' unit and they flee off the board. There goes another 300+ points. Things aren't looking too hot for me on this side of the board. Fortunately, his silver helms chase the fleeing Knights off the board, giving me a turn without worrying about them. His chariots kill 4 knights of the realm but Sir Leofric's unit holds.

On my turn, I charge the chariots with Sir Benjamin's unit, and my Pegasus Knights charge his archmage. Damsel Meghan charges at one of the Repeater Bolt Throwers. In the shooting phase, my Trebuchets knock out another RBT but one of them misfires and I roll a 1, causing it to blow up!

In combat, I'm a bit luckier. His archmage runs off the board from my Pegasus Knights (Woohoo, there goes at least 400 points lol). His chariots also break from my knights and Meghan slaughters one of the Repeater bolt thrower's crew!

End of Turn 2: http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3390/endofturn2ls3.png

Turn 3: His Silver Helms reappear on the table and move towards my trebuchet. His RBT and archer are unlucky and don't kill anyone. His magic phase his ineffective (my last dispel scroll used) and in combat his RBT crewmen is pummeled by Meghan.

My turn, Meghan charges the last RBT, and Sir Leofric and Benjamin reform their units. My Pegasus Knights go for his level 2 mage and my Peasant Bowmen start shooting at his archers, killing 6. His mage runs off of the board from my Knights.

End of Turn 3: http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7843/endofturn3uf2.png

Bretonnian Lord
11-09-2007, 02:45
Turn 4, his Silver Helms charge my trebuchet crew. His RBT crewmen is killed by Meghan (She brought down 2 RBTs by herself! Awesome.) His silver helms easily kill off my trebuchet crew and persue off the board. His archers target my Pegasus Knights and fail to wound them.

My turn, I move all my units closer to the board edge where his silver helms will emerge next turn. My Peasant bowmen stay and shoot at his archers, killing some more of them.

End of Turn 4:
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9344/endofturn4vj9.png

Turn 5:

His Helms appear and prepare to be charged. His archers fail to wound my Peggies.

My turn, My Pegasus Knights charge his Silver Helms. The rest of my units move closer, and my archers polish off his. In combat, he challenges my Pegasus Knight champion and kills him outright. My Pegasus Knights kill four silver helms and flee and he pursues.

End of Turn 5: http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/759/endofturn5hc8.png

Bretonnian Lord
11-09-2007, 02:46
Turn 6: His helms return to the board and again get ready to be charged.

Sir Benjamin's unit charges his Helms. In combat, Benjamin gets in a challenge with the commander and puts a wound on him. Two more silver helms are killed, but thanks to the battle banner Sir Benjamin gets run down too! The battle banner is turning those helms into a rock-hard unit...

End of Turn 6:

Turn 7: We continue to play. His silver helms charge Meghan (I foolishly left her in range) and she gets killed.

My turn, I unleash a barrage on his Helms and get very lucky. Three of his silver helms go down to the Bowmen, haha. Unfortunately, in my haste to shoot I entirely neglected the charge phase and Sir Leofric's unit is a sitting duck. D'oh!

End of Turn 7: http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1415/endofturn7fa3.png

Turn 8: Long game, but we decided to play till the bitter end. His Helms charge Sir Leofric's unit. He has the Silver Helm champion, standard bearer, his 1 wound commander and 1 wound BSB left. I've got Sir Leofric, a Knight of the Realm gallant, and 4 knights of the realm left.

In combat, he fails to do any wounds (!!) and Sir Leofric brings down his BSB! No battle banner bonus! His Helms run and I catch them. Possibly the most decisive, if not largest, battle in the game, I luckily came out on top of.

END: Sir Leofric, 1 Knight of the Realm Gallant, 4 Knights of the Realm, and 18 Peasant Bowmen survive.

Tactical View: Well! An extremely close game. Probably my closest ever. In the beginning when both Sir Eric and Damsel Aelis and their units were run down, I thought for sure I was done for. 600 points gone in the first two turns was not good. But fortunately for me, he made the mistake of thinking my Pegasus Knights were targeting his RBTs, leaving his archmage as easy prey. From there, his luck seemed to go downhill fast. His RBTs and Mage were quickly dispatched and his silver helms suffered horribly in combat (well, his battle banner rolls were good and was what saved him the first few combats, but his armor saving was atrocious).

Overall, I'd say a great game. Very, very close (the points calculated to around 300 points to my favor, which I think is a *minor* victory.) Especially since I was massacred by his army the first two games, I'm definitely making some progress. The list I took seemed to be more effective than my previous lists, but I still need to make refinements. For one, I was disappointed that Sir Eric died before I could unveil the falcon horn (but this is a double sided coin, because he has no idea I've got it and will be a nasty surprise next game we have :evilgrin:)

Bretonnian Unit Citations:

Pegasus Knights- for destroying both of his mages and weakening his silver helms, despite fleeing off the board at the end.

Damsel Meghan- For destroying two RBT batteries on her own, regretfully she was killed at the battle's end.

Peasant Bowmen- Although not killing tons of points, the fact that they killed 3 of his silver helms in the crucial closing moments was possibly a game winner.

High Elf Unit Citations

Silver Helms- For taking down Sir Eric's Questing Knights, Pegasus Knights, Damsel Meghan, Damsel Aelis' unit and Sir Benjamin's unit, these guys racked up nearly 1300 points by themselves! Overall they cost around 500 points- earning nearly triple their points cost back.

This report was hastily written at 10 pm, so I'm sorry if there were any mistakes I made. Hope you had fun reading it.

Alathir
11-09-2007, 10:55
Nice report Bretonnian Lord! The Lady be praised for your knight's valiant efforts.

I'm glad to see you took my falcon horn idea, too bad that the guy holding it was run down. You had your pegasus knights ready as well!

Keep up the good work and may the Lady be with you.

He Who Is Him
17-09-2007, 20:43
Don't you have a few too many characters? In 2000 pt games, you're only allowed four characters (4 heroes or 3 heroes and a lord).

Bretonnian Lord
17-09-2007, 22:48
Bretonnians receive an extra hero slot. ;)

He Who Is Him
21-09-2007, 01:55
That's sick. Do they get 1 no matter the size of the game, or does it have a sliding scale?

Bretonnian Lord
21-09-2007, 02:02
They always get one extra hero slot regardless of game size. Also, they must take a Paladin Battle Standard Bearer in every game, which partially explains why they get an extra hero slot.

Johan Chill
03-10-2007, 15:34
Great report, guess the plan didnt work exactly as plan but congrats on the tight win!

warlord hack'a
04-10-2007, 11:04
great report though I must honestly say I am surprised by the number of tactical optiions not used/errors made on both sides.. People just moving into chargerange, nothing to support the high elf spearmen, you not targettting 15 silverhelms with your 2 trebuchets (stonethrower hits allow no armour save, then all of a sudden you are hitting T3 elves like never before), him leaving his mage in chargerange etc. etc. Also, try and get more terrain, on a 4 by 6 foot table you need at least 4, preferable 6 pieces of scenery..

warlord hack'a
04-10-2007, 11:06
oh yes, and can you please point me to your 'newfangled mapmaking' thing, your pictures look fatastic!

Bretonnian Lord
04-10-2007, 21:40
http://marcusbeli.urbenalia.com/AdminWHF/tacticas/MBDespliegue/mbdesplieng.htm

;)

warlord hack'a
05-10-2007, 18:59
thanks! will check it out right away

warlord hack'a
15-10-2007, 11:25
okay, so I made a bttle report and pictures using the link you sent me (but I snapped them with a picture snap program as I could not get a .jpeg format in another way). No how do I get these pictures into my post?

Bretonnian Lord
15-10-2007, 22:48
go to www.imageshack.us and upload the picture.

Then, it'll give you a the picture's url, just copy paste it onto a website and you get the picture.

warlord hack'a
16-10-2007, 08:17
okay thanks! hopefully I will finish the rep tonight and post it

soots
29-10-2007, 00:09
great report though I must honestly say I am surprised by the number of tactical optiions not used/errors made on both sides.. People just moving into chargerange, nothing to support the high elf spearmen, you not targettting 15 silverhelms with your 2 trebuchets (stonethrower hits allow no armour save, then all of a sudden you are hitting T3 elves like never before), him leaving his mage in chargerange etc. etc. Also, try and get more terrain, on a 4 by 6 foot table you need at least 4, preferable 6 pieces of scenery..

Amen, i dont charge until i know im going to make it.

Brets arent tonka trucks. They need to charge, else they are good as dead. Its definately worth taking another turn to ensure the charge.

Also id consider dropping the trebs vs high elves. Not much RnF to fire at. You're better off with more knights.