PDA

View Full Version : The Salamanders Chapter

Reflex
11-09-2007, 04:04
I have been trying to find as much stuff on these guys as posible, because i would like to start an army, hopefully soon.

anyway, i cant seem to find much on them. apart from the basics (Primarch, chapter structure, battlecry, colours) i cant find much history on the chapter. the only war i know they took part in was the 3rd war for armoggeddon.

can anyone tell me much more about them? has the black library released much on them at all?

Captain_Ardias
11-09-2007, 04:38
not sure how much it will help, but heres a link that has a bit of information on them: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Salamanders

Pilgrim
11-09-2007, 11:15
To add to Captain Ardias' link, there are three other conflicts that the Salamanders were involved in, that spring readily to mind.

There was the 'Star Cult uprising' on Levilnor IV (if I remember the planet correctly), where the Salamanders were deployed to assist Arbites units in rooting out a heretical cult. Conflicting reports have been printed on whether it was one (or more) of the following: A Tzeentch cult, a pro-imperial organisation set up by a Sensei, unspecified rebellion.

Then there was the Badab War (given that they were shown in a colour scheme from the conflict). Their role was never specified, although I would have assumed that, given their usual combat doctrine, they would have been deployed in close quarters fighting. I would assume, then, that they were used to destroy strongpoints during the various planetary sieges.

Finally they fought in the scouring immediately after the Horus Heresy, where they are noted as having tracked down Fabius Bile and destroyed his cloning operations before forcing him to flee into the Eye of Terror. Given that Imperial navy warships were involved (in crippling and nearly destroying Fabius Bile's escape warship), they likely formed part of a much larger crusade force.

There are probably several more scraps of information scattered through old publications. It's rather a lot of material to sort through, however.

As far as I know they don't get a mention in any of the Black Library books (beyond a couple of cameos in Warhammer Monthly from individual Salamanders).

Hopefully that's a bit of help. Beyond their Index Astartes article, Salamanders history is pretty patchy I'm afraid.

Adrian

reds8n
11-09-2007, 12:01
Didn't they almost capture and kill Fabius Bile at some point as well ? I'm sure this has been mentionned somewhere--perhaps in the soon to be replace dcodex ?-- as we once tried a replay of that using one of the missions from codex : assassins.

EDIT sorry, my bad. @ work (mis)reading in a hurry.

But yeah, what he^^ said.

Pilgrim
11-09-2007, 12:20
Didn't they almost capture and kill Fabius Bile at some point as well ? I'm sure this has been mentionned somewhere--perhaps in the soon to be replace dcodex ?-- as we once tried a replay of that using one of the missions from codex : assassins.

*ahem* :cries:

Finally they fought in the scouring immediately after the Horus Heresy, where they are noted as having tracked down Fabius Bile and destroyed his cloning operations before forcing him to flee into the Eye of Terror. Given that Imperial navy warships were involved (in crippling and nearly destroying Fabius Bile's escape warship), they likely formed part of a much larger crusade force.

And yes, this gets mentioned in quite a few places, in the Index Astartes about Fabius Bile, and his section in Codex: Chaos (2nd edition), quite probably in the 3rd and 4th edition codices as well. I think it might also be in the Salamanders' Index Astartes. Laziness prevents me from checking all those sources to be certain.

Adrian

DantesInferno
11-09-2007, 12:27

Yep. The world was called Arden X, if I recall correctly. There's not too much said about it, just that Bile was conducting his horrific experiments into genetic modification, drugging, cloning etc there in support of the planetary lord, and the Salamanders were brought in to destroy Bile's labs and experiments. Bile fled.

Sabbad
11-09-2007, 15:01
Well, possibly the most famous battle the Salamanders fought at that stll hasn't been mentioned is the Battle of Isstvan V. You can read about that in Fulgrim.

Trumane
11-09-2007, 16:41
Another place to look and ask:
http://www.thefireofnocturne.com/

The Emperor's Faithfull
12-09-2007, 04:34
I believe Salamanders also have a history against Eldar in where they have fought them many times and pretty much hate them with a passion.

Firebreath
12-09-2007, 07:16
That's from Index Astartes as well.

Nocturne's settlements, before Vulcan came crashing from the skies, were regularly attacked by Eldar raiders (don't know if that would be Dark Eldar or the regular variety).

So I think it would be quite understandable if the Salamanders were on less than favourable turns with the Eldar.