PDA

View Full Version : What a Craftworld Looks Like

redbaron998
11-09-2007, 04:38
I have heard many different ideas about what a craftworld looks like but nothing concreate. The only thing we really know for sure is that the big ones (Beil-tan, Ulthwe, etc.) is larger in size than earth and they have a large solar sail for populsion

So is it a a Sphere like a floating planet or more like a convential space ship but huge. What do you think?

Iracundus
11-09-2007, 06:03
This has been raised multiple times in many threads in the past. Go do a search and also search for the canonical images of Biel-tan and Iyanden.

Kage2020
11-09-2007, 11:47
Some obvious sources include:

Doom of the Eldar game, showing a representation of Iyanden (and not a very good one in my mind, but there we go).
WD127, for a concept sketch done by Jes Goodwin (Biel-Tan).
40kOnline gallery for much of the above.
40kOnline gallery, looking up "Magelord" for his concept of, erm, Saim Han I believe.

But, yes, this has been done multiple times in the past... like many other threads on the forum. ;)

I'm suckered into the disc approach, myself. Basically the same shape as our galaxy, though one has to remember the inherent flaw of craftworlds, at least if you are to believe GW. Yes, the Eldar built the ships that are their "last home" too big for the Webway portals. Doh! ;)

Kage

carlisimo
11-09-2007, 17:05
Bigger than earth?? I've never thought of them that way at all... but then I'm a proponent of the "fewer than 10 billion Eldar alive" theory (maybe even fewer than 1 billion).

There are enough of them, and in different enough sizes, that you can be creative. Some will look like spaceships, the larger ones may be a bit more spherical, the size of a large asteroid or small moon ("That's no moon!").

FarseerMatt
11-09-2007, 17:27
It's quite possible that they are as big as planets (Craftworlds after all - even Imperials can build ships as big as cities), after all they have grown in size since their construction.

Their size doesn't necessarily mean there are teeming billions of Eldar aboard, they might have a low population density and just enjoy lots of space to run around in (also remember that Craftworlds contain a lot of "natural" areas such as fields, forests and rivers as well as urban areas. They need a renewable supply of air, water and farmland after all, and nature preserves for whatever animals they took with them (like the cat with the spirit stone round its neck standing behind the warlock in the BGB :P)

The actual size and population of a Craftworld would depend heavily on its original size (some were trading ships, some were scratch-built generation ships which would have been bigger etc), its age, how long it was allowed to grow uninterrupted, population growth rate vs death toll etc

Kage2020
11-09-2007, 18:26
The matter of Eldar population, as always, comes down to individual interpretation. It's left far too open in the 'fluff' that you can argue low numbers or high ones. The real question thus becomes what the individual interpreter prefers.

Kage

dark blade
11-09-2007, 18:36
i always got the impressiont hat the eldar had exeedingly low numbers, to such an extent that every death truly was a tragety, rather then a statistik like it is for gard,

to me that puts there number at about 10 million - 25 million at the apsolute top. i mean on earth there is 6 billion, and war has little affect on us, where as to the eldar every war that a craftworld suffers has the potental to doom it.

of course this is just me interpritation, but i do thinkt hat the eldar loose some of there majesty if there is billions of them,

Kage2020
11-09-2007, 18:46
Aye. I personally wax between a number in the billions and a number in the (low) hundreds of millions for the total surviving Eldar population, including all the various races. As you say, the appeal of the sound bite of "dying race" is to go for the low population, but then as soon as you see the Wargame Balanced interpretation of the Eldar, which provides another strong image, it begins to get (for me) a bit more difficult to believe. Thus the higher value.

Ah who knows...

Kage

xiophen
11-09-2007, 20:29
Why is the thought of several billions if not 10 billion or more such and unbealiable number. When you have the Human poplaution that ranges in the low to high quadrillions, orks and nids that have even larger populations. Remember this is a galaxy that spans thousands of light years with 200 billion stars. thats alot of space and possibility for populations growth. Give the relaive size of the eye of terror it is a safe bet that pre fall the eldar population was most likly in the trillions to low quadrillions as well.

Billions are not something that would still not mean that they are dieing off given the scale this does not seem to unrealistic.

Quentin
11-09-2007, 20:41
I like to think of Craftworlds as Planet-sized space-faring fortress-like constructions, with beautiful tall spires and such.

carlisimo
11-09-2007, 22:50
Sorry, didn't mean to start that discussion in this thread.

The main reason I'd say they're not planet-sized is that planets would just be way too big, if they were hollow. But what if a craftworld were Pluto-sized? Would it count as a planet??

What we do know from canon is that craftworlds can hold their space fleets within, has webway portals inside and behind the craftworld, have domes and towers along their surface and inside (one dome served as a meeting hall for Iyanden's entire population, they say), can contain vast forests and biomes, and are large enough to be comfortable. Whenever GW has tried to draw one, it's looked more like a big spaceship than a Death Star-like sphere.