PDA

View Full Version : bending the rules a bit?

wibble
11-09-2007, 10:16
not sure if this is pushing it a bit rules-wise.

If a Necrarch Thrall has forbidden lore (or a spell familiar) can he cast spells?
I know it's probably doubtful, but forbidden lore, dark acolyte and biting blade give a bit more combat edge than nehekara's noble blood, while keeping most of the magic ability
sorry if this is a stupid question, i guess it would just be convenient if it worked.

Masque
11-09-2007, 10:30
I don't think a non-wizard could cast a spell even if he knows one unless there was a rule allowing him to do so. So I don't think Forbidden Lore would let him cast. Also, non-wizards cannot take Arcane items and thus cannot take Spell Familiars.

wibble
11-09-2007, 10:33
well necrarch thralls are allowed to take arcane items, but you're right about the wizard thing. i think they probably do need something to give them the title of 'wizard'. Thanks

DeathlessDraich
11-09-2007, 10:58
Necrarch Thrall can either:
a) Choose Nehekara's Blood making him a level 1 wizard but probably won't have enough pts to get any magical items
b) Use Arcane items - Book of Arkhan is a fav.

Festus
11-09-2007, 11:01
Hi

A Necrarch who is not a Wizard may not cast spells (which are not bound spells of course). He may become a Wizard though, by using one of the Bloodlines Powers... the only Thrall who can.

Festus

T10
11-09-2007, 11:48
sorry if this is a stupid question, i guess it would just be convenient if it worked.

Check out section 3.3 Nechrarch:

http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-rules/86017-commentaries-on-the-undead.html

-T10

Griefbringer
11-09-2007, 15:18
As stated, you need to be a wizard in order to be able to cast (non-bound) spells, or at least in order to be able to use any power dice for casting them.

ZomboCom
11-09-2007, 23:08
Yup, even if he knows a spell he isn't allowed to use any power dice to cast it.

wibble
11-09-2007, 23:33
cheers, guess i'll just stick to necromancers and use wight lords for a bit of added combat punch

EvC
12-09-2007, 00:17
Yup, even if he knows a spell he isn't allowed to use any power dice to cast it.

Pretty specific case, but... if an enemy miscast allowed him to cast a spell for free, would he be able to cast it then? ;)

ZomboCom
12-09-2007, 20:05
Pretty specific case, but... if an enemy miscast allowed him to cast a spell for free, would he be able to cast it then? ;)

Hillariously, seemingly yes! The miscast result makes no mention of the spell you cast as having to belong to a wizard, so it may indeed be cast!

And frankly, if my opponent was silly enough to bring along a thrall with a spell familiar I'd laugh my head off if that miscast came up.

theunwantedbeing
12-09-2007, 20:27
The guy may well get +1 spell,but he isnt a wizard so he doesnt get to roll for his spell.