PDA

View Full Version : Do Dark Eldar call themselves Druchii

Luthien
11-09-2007, 15:56
do they. i mean i call them that occasionally, is so much easier to say than dark eldar

nazrag
11-09-2007, 16:10
why would they? they are not dark elves ;) but I can see where you are getting this from. I can't remember reading anywhere that they refer to themselves as Druchii..

MadDogMike
11-09-2007, 16:43
Actually it does beg the question of what DO they call themselves; I doubt they use the Fantasy term but I can't see them calling themselves "Dark Eldar" really.

FarseerMatt
11-09-2007, 16:43
In the novel Shadow Point the Craftworld Eldar refer to their Dark cousins as "Druchii" and I tend to do the same, however I don't know what the Dark Eldar call themselves.

Chilltouch
11-09-2007, 17:18
Probably stuff like "the pure", "the undying" and so on. They think of themselves as the master race. They don't call themselves anything, they just describe what they are. They are the pure and undying, they are those who bath in pleasures which would kill even their flawed cousins.

FarseerMatt
11-09-2007, 17:33
"We are the pure, the undying, the master race." Remind me to quote that the next time I write about the Dark Eldar.

swordwind
11-09-2007, 18:10
I imagine they would just call themselves Eldar.

Savant
11-09-2007, 19:15
Dark Eldar have more in common with High Elves than Dark Elves imo - nobody plays them and they have crappy models. Thus they are the Asur.

Luthien
11-09-2007, 19:30
Dark Eldar have more in common with High Elves than Dark Elves imo - nobody plays them and they have crappy models. Thus they are the Asur.

I play high elves, as you can see from my sig, if you aint got anything constructive to say shut up.
I'm also planning to do a DE combat patrol

Savant
11-09-2007, 21:22
I play high elves, as you can see from my sig, if you aint got anything constructive to say shut up.
I'm also planning to do a DE combat patrol

Yes I did see your quote, I just didn't care. Your question was answered, yes Dark Eldar are called Druchii in the fluff on occasion. I was futhering the now defunct discussion by voicing my opinion that Dark Eldar actually have more in common with High Elves than Dark Elves (even if that similarity is a poor model line).

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, also plays Dark Eldar but that doesn't change the fact that they're still easily the least played army. And, Ogres aside, High Elves are probably ranking down there near the very bottom in Fantasy (as this (http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-general-discussion/101177-least-played-armies.html) post demonstrates), so my point stands.

Oh, and High Elves AFAIK aren't getting an update to their plastic spearmen with the new codex so the main footsloggers of the HE will still look like plastic ass with a stupid pointy helmet stuck on top.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-09-2007, 21:48
Guess what, Savant? It doesn't matter what your reasoning was, you were still being a jerk. Try not to "flame on" when you sign on to Warseer.*grins*

It seems like more of a mistake than anything else that the Dark Eldar called themselves (or were referred to as) Druchii in some fluff. Yeah, the origins of 40K was space fantasy, but it has long since become it's own entity. And I'm sure that like every other race with a language, there is some word that the Dark Eldar use to describe themselves, a la "human" by the Imperium and such. Otherwise it might be confusing...

A battlefield in the 41st milennium...

1st Dark Eldar: "Dude, we are so doomed!!"
2nd Dark Eldar: "No way, bro! Our race is so tough and deadly that we'll rule the galaxy forever! No one shall ever-"
1st Dark Eldar: "No man, I meant US, you and I!"
2nd Dark Eldar: "Well, I mean, eventually everything-"
*Lascannon fires and obliterates them.*

IncubiLord
12-09-2007, 00:33
The Dark Eldar are only called such because the name is given in the human moral compass. The Dark Eldar themselves, like all other Eldar, see their lifestyle as the proper way for Eldar to live, and therefore would not call themselves "Dark Eldar" or a funny Eldar/Elven word that means "Dark Elf/Eldar."

DE fluff has Vect referring to CWE as "misguided, meddling traitors" and others calling them fools who resist their true selves.

We haven't changed our ways significantly since before the Fall, and have the longest-standing claim to the titles of "Eldar" and "True Kin" - the others are cowards and fools who fled their own way of life to lock themselves away from the pleasures of existence out of fear.

It's only when one faction is forced to converse with another that they stop referring to themselves as simply "Eldar" and need to find a descriptor for their life-style. Thus we have craftworlders, pirates, exodites, harlequins, and a faction that doesn't really have a name - the Eldar of Commorragh, Kabalite Eldar, or some other term favored by the lord of the individual house you're speaking with.

Your question was answered, yes Dark Eldar are called Druchii in the fluff on occasion.
Actually, all you've got is a BL reference, which is about as canon in the fluff as me writing that somebody in the Adeptus Mechanicus is a Genestealer Hybrid with bionic enhancements.

Sure, it's theoretically possible, but the idea is not assuredly grounded in any canon material.

BL is not canon fluff. They admit that they aren't.

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, also plays Dark Eldar
Oh, good - the delirium hasn't completely set in.

Report for medical treatment immediately - though I don't think they've got a cure for what ails your mind, maybe strong medication could stall its progress.

You ought to use it to get registered for disability or something, too.

Yes, there are actually more than a couple of DE players out there.

that doesn't change the fact that they're still easily the least played army. And, Ogres aside, High Elves are probably ranking down there near the very bottom in Fantasy (as this (http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-general-discussion/101177-least-played-armies.html) post demonstrates), so my point stands.
Strangely, using the number of players for an army doesn't make a good fluff parallel.

Savant
12-09-2007, 01:17
If someone wants to get in a tiff at me for 'insulting' their favourite race of miniature model space elfs and tell me to shut up, I'll give them an earful. Now, I didn't say mean, mean things about imaginary races of extraterrestrial goths or pointy hatted imbeciles because I wanted to flame or annoy anyone, I said it because I think Dark Eldar have a weak racial backstory that reads like a 12 year old depressed schoolgirl wrote it and because the High Elves have crappy, outdated models.

Now if you want to get in a huff and scream troll at me because I disturbed your perplexing conversation about whether Dark Eldar are called Druchii (here's a hint - are they called that anywhere in the fluff? Yes or no? There's nothing to discuss, either they are or they aren't!) then whatever, I hope it makes you feel vindicated that your race's honour has been upheld (I feel dirty for even writing that).

But really I don't care either way, I'm not overly concerned what people who twist comments about plastic miniatures into personal attacks against them think about me.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
12-09-2007, 02:23
*rolls on the ground laughing hysterically at Savant*

Oh man, I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl. Dude, I don't even like the Dark Eldar/Elves. I was just saying he asked a question and you came off sounding like a dick, and then just to prove it you've posted twice more. Seriously, that was the best post I've ever read in my life. You are hilarious. Wow.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
12-09-2007, 07:54
I'm so fed up with all these discussions lately that somebody chirps in thinking the discussion isn't worth discussing, guess what half the threads I read I'm not interested in, do I post and say this? No I close the thread and read something else.

Back on topic: The names we see for the different factions of the eldar are for factions defined by the imperium of man, we cannot know where the Eldar draw this line. Perhaps all Eldar think of their race as Eldar but then they fight under a different 'banner'. It's like saying we are all human but there are different races within this classification. Further to this we do not know if all 'Eldar' use the same language, individual craftworlds, maiden worlds and Dark Eldar cities have all been developing on their own for many thousands of year and the languages are likely to evolved in different directions.

EDIT: forgot to make point - If their languages aren't the same then it's very possible a certain kabal calls all Eldar 'Druchii', it's simply their word for it.

Supremearchmarshal
12-09-2007, 11:33
The problem with DE is that they have virtually no background except Torturer's Tale. And GW copy-pasting Dark Elf fluff doesn't help it at all, especially since they're supposed to be moving away from fantasy in space. I'm waiting for the upcoming codex to give them the richer background they deserve and make them something besides evil slavers.