PDA

View Full Version : the most balanced armies

huitzilopochtli
11-09-2007, 17:38
i've been trying (unsuccessfully) for some time to come up with a list thats not too powerful in any particular respect so as to make my games fairer, but try as i might my lists are either too powerful or too weak and by turn two its obvious who is going to win.

so leaving this problem to one side (as i do with all problems that require a lot of thinking) i began to wonder what armies are the best suited to playing each other. i'm inclined to think that an empire and an high elf army battle would be the most evenly matched; both sides have reasonably average model stats and difficult to make overpowering in any way.

i'm not very fussy as to whether i'm right or not in thinking this, but i would like to know what other armies are well suited to fight each other in balanced games.

any suggestions?

soots
12-09-2007, 05:22
empire and an high elf army battle would be the most evenly matched; both sides have reasonably average model stats and difficult to make overpowering in any way.

Hope you got your flameproof coat on :)

I think orc and gobbos vs any army really. Same as skaven. These games seem to be pure random lol.

Id think vc vs tk would be close.

StormCrow
12-09-2007, 13:39
I'd go with tomb kings. Utterly reliable and ignore most of the rules that over power some armies and under power others. The only thing i've ever seen anyone complain about when playing against my tomb kings are the tomb scorpions; which are very much underpriced.

jb85
12-09-2007, 16:39
I'd go with tomb kings. Utterly reliable and ignore most of the rules that over power some armies and under power others. The only thing i've ever seen anyone complain about when playing against my tomb kings are the tomb scorpions; which are very much underpriced.

I would have to agree with that, Tomb Kings are IMO the best balanced fantasy army. They are competitive when used correctly and the list is difficult to abuse to any extent. Agree that scorpions are under priced (they are one of the best units in the game point for point) but the competition in the TK special slots stops people bringing too many of them.

the1stpip
12-09-2007, 17:08
Woodies vs Beasts

Both are mainly skirmishing armies, but one is predominantly shooty and one is hitty (very simple outlook, before some shoots me with a Hail of Doom arrow)...

L192837465
12-09-2007, 19:00
orks and goblins are by far the most balanced army in the game. bar none. skaven still has a random factor. Orks can do anything. shoot? 8 bolt throwers work? allright, check. combat? savage ork boar boys? uhhh, 25 s5 attacks on the charge is NOTHING to scoff at. check. magic? amazing lore. check. cheap ass goblin charecters, great special charecters and a lot of versatility. they get it.

gerrymander61
12-09-2007, 19:21
I fail to see how you can disqualify skaven based on their randomness and then proceed to nominate Orcs and Goblins as the army to go with.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-09-2007, 19:28
Empire, or dare I say it, Dark Elves.

Empire is self explanatory, but if you ignore the Hatemobs, Dark Elves have a large number of builds open to them, from a swift, mounted force comprised of Dark Riders, Cold One Knights and Charios, through shooty heavy, with Crossbows and Bolt Throwers up the wazoo, via infantry force, with Corsairs, Executioners, Black Guard, Witch Elves and Cauldron of Blood, all the way to my personal favourite, the Monster Army of death, which in 2,000 can pack a Dragon, Manticore and two of the sadly underrated War Hydras.

zak
13-09-2007, 00:11
I'd say that the Ogres are a balanced list. It's very difficult to create a mega-list.

Heretic Burner
13-09-2007, 01:28
You want to pick a tier 2 army with a decent balance of elements. I can't think of a better army fitting that description than Empire.

However, do not think Empire vs HE are going to be an even match or even come remotely close to what you're looking for. HE are going to be far more powerful than Empire leaving Empire players little other option than to go gunline, about as far from the balance you're seeking. By the end of turn two you'll definitely know who will win those games. You'll probably know by the end of deployment.