PDA

View Full Version : English names of new CSM Legions? German Codex translated them -.-'

DoomedDiceThrower
12-09-2007, 10:09
In the german Codex that is. And personally, I don't like most of those names.

For example on page 18, the black and green one in the upper right corner. In german they call it the "Karge Bruderschaft" = "Paltry Brotherhood" or something like that :wtf:

I'd grown up with "Death Guard", and "Blood Angels" etc. with their english names, and that was cool enough. Those new german names are not necessarily all bad, but in the great majority I guess they just don't have the same cool ring in the names...

Would people be so kind and give at least some of the new Legions/ chapters/ companies names?

Stingray_tm
12-09-2007, 10:22
Well, could have been worse.

Space Crusade (Space Quest in Germany) had the Ultramarines renamed to "GSG-19"...

And i also think, that Blood Angels doesn't sound as "cool" to a native English speaker as to a German...

Oh, BTW:
Those already are terrible:

Dreadnaught --> Cybot (WTF?!?)
Obliterator --> Kyborg

Argh!

DoomedDiceThrower
12-09-2007, 10:30
Well, could have been worse.

Space Crusade (Space Quest in Germany) had the Ultramarines renamed to "GSG-19"...

NO WAY! X-D :rolleyes:

Stingray_tm
12-09-2007, 10:40
GSG was short for "Galaxy Safe Guard"

Ultramarines --> GSG-19
Blood Angels --> GSG Musketiere
Imperial Fists --> GSG Tiger

Chaos --> Robotlings

All weapons didn't "kill", they just transported the "robotlings" into another dimension, froze them in time or some other PG-13 crap ;)

It was hilarious :D

ctsteel
12-09-2007, 10:56
All legion/colour schemes from the English language version, reading from left to right, top to bottom.

p18
Alpha Legion
Angels of Ecstasy
Apostles of MinthRas
Bleak Brotherhood
Brotherhood of Darkness
Claws of Lorek
Death Guard
Company of Misery

p20
Death Shadows
Disciples of Destruction
Hakanor's Reavers
Emperor's Children
The Flawless Host
Dragon Warriors
Iron Warriors
Knights of Blood

p21
Lords of Decay
Night Lords
Oracles of Change
Punishers
The Sanctified
The Reborn
The Purge
Skulltakers

p24
Skyrar's Dark Wolves
Sons of Vengeance
Swords of Khargoth
Steel Brethren
Thousand Sons
Unknown
Warriors of Mayhem
World Eaters

p68
The Cleaved
Iron Warriors

p69
The Blood Disciples
Beasts of Annihilation
Alpha Legion
Hakanor's Reavers
Word Bearers
Night Stalkers

p70
Warriors of Agganor
The Scourged
Night Lords
Skulltakers
Deathmongers

p71
The Scourged
Red Corsairs

p72
Plague Marines
Obliterators
Khorne Berzerkers

p73
Thousand Sons
Noise Marines

p74
The Black Legion

DoomedDiceThrower
12-09-2007, 11:13
WOW, yeah, thank you! Didn't think I'd find somebody so soon who'd make all this effort.

Thank you very much sir! :):)

Kriegsherr
12-09-2007, 11:24
Well, I personally like "GSG Tiger" more than ye ol' "Imperial Fists".... a pretty dumb name if you ask me, while GSG Tiger has some style... maybe a little bit too much.... ehr... old german wehrmacht chic in it to be good, but it has style...

I never thought they would finally start to even translate chapter names.... I have to say, the translated Sororitas Order names lost so much by the translation... "Order of our martyred lady" -> "Orden der heiligen Märtyrerin" *yawns at german translation* ...

Maik, pretty please try harder next time, it can't be that hard to make translations of chapter/order names sound cool in german especially since you don't translate them literally (only mentioning Maik because hes in the translation brigade since the dawn of time ;) )

de Selby
12-09-2007, 11:29
Some of the traitor chapter names are pretty poor in English. I read Deathmongers but I think Cheesemongers...

I always wondered how GW got on selling their background in Germany, seeing as so much of their totalitarian futureworld is 'inspired' by the Nazis and Soviets.

Takitron
12-09-2007, 11:59
WOW, yeah, thank you! Didn't think I'd find somebody so soon who'd make all this effort.

Thank you very much sir! :):)

and now it is your turn, post the names in german and their rough translation so we can all laugh about it :)

I look forward to reading it :skull:

sigur
12-09-2007, 12:19
I'm afraid I'll have to remind you that there's quite a difference between traitor legions and chaos warbands so the translation of the names isn't anything new or a change in the ways GW is handling the names of legions or the SM chapters.

With the German translation, MB games positioned Space Crusade outside of the 40k universe (as it was almost unknown in german-speaking areas back then). But I agree about the oddity of the weapons. Bolters and Bolt Pistols were called Lasers and Mini-Lasers respectively which struck us odd since you could see the sickle-magazines and you could even see the Bolter shells inside the clip. Not that usual for laser weapons.;) The highlight still has to be the "Degressor" (=conversion beamer) which made the "Robotlings" all peaceful and nice.

Slightly odd german translations in 40k:

Col.Schaeffer => Oberst Steiner
Genestealers => Symbionten
Shokk Attack Gun => Snotzogga
Fabius Bile => Fabius Gallus

They translate basically everything in the german versions, apart from names (including the names of SM chapters and traitor legions, as mentioned above). Interestingly, they also keep the names for different tank versions the same as in english so we're also using "Leman Russ Demolishers" and not Leman Russ Abreisser or Reman Russ Demolierer.;)

Stingray_tm
12-09-2007, 12:57
Well, I personally like "GSG Tiger" more than ye ol' "Imperial Fists".... a pretty dumb name if you ask me, while GSG Tiger has some style... maybe a little bit too much.... ehr... old german wehrmacht chic in it to be good, but it has style...

Well, in old editions the "Imperial Fists" were translated as "Kaisergrenadiere", which actually is not that far away from one of the two meanings of the original name. But it has some kind of 17th century thing, that just doesn't fit. But "Imperiale Fäuste" would also sound kind of silly.

Again, my "favourite" still is Cybot for Dreadnaught. Sounds like a 80s C-Movie. "Oh my god! It's not only a robot, it's also CYBER!!!" Argh...

Other "great" translations:
Devastator -> Devastor (WTF?!? Why didn't they use the english word, that isn't that much harder to pronounce, while remaining an actual word. I never heard of a "Devastor" anywhere.)

Death Leaper --> Todeshetzer
Okay, i can't come up with a cool sounding German name, but Todeshetzer defenitley sounds like a WW2 tank and "hetzen" (to chase/to rush) is something different than "anspringen" (to leap at).

Librarian --> Scriptor
on the other hand is quite okay (i still prefer the original). The literal translation "Bibliothekar" would have been extremely silly. (A got the mental picture of a superhuman in power armour working at my local town library, handing over children books :D )

ctsteel
12-09-2007, 13:08
Death Leaper --> Todeshetzer

actually all I can picture when I read that, is a frog taking a crap

sigur
16-09-2007, 23:55
Well, in old editions the "Imperial Fists" were translated as "Kaisergrenadiere", which actually is not that far away from one of the two meanings of the original name. ...

The only occation I read "Kaisergrenadiere" as the translation of the Imperial Fists was in the german translation of Ian Watson's "Space Marine" (maybe they were also called that in the german translation of Harlequin when Lexandro is showing up) and the book obviously wasn't translated by anyone remotely connected to GW or 40k. It was even before GW released any of their books in german.

Did you ever read Imperial Fists being translated as "Kaisergrenadiere" in any GW publication?

BajsArne
17-09-2007, 00:36
I love the german names! I use the Tau names all the time. Hammerhai gefechtspanzer sounds so much better than hammerhead and Koloss sounds like Hitler's Secret weapon (ok I think there was a transport plane called that but if there was a nazi railgun suit, I bet they would have called it Koloss).

elvinltl
17-09-2007, 01:20
Charming...
I was wonderning will GW ever make it into the Chinese market in China producing Codexes in Mandrin. :D

Sovereign
17-09-2007, 05:19
If GW had GSG standing for "Grenzschutzgruppe", that would at least be somewhat acceptable.

Arbiter7
17-09-2007, 06:08
actually all I can picture when I read that, is a frog taking a crap

LOOOOOOL

Being Greek myself, the English names do sound cool, but I've always felt that native English-speaking people will not have the same feel for the names.

Try translating "Ultramarines" in greek it's hilarious!

In WHFB they have already done some translating and while it is kinda accurate, you can still get a decent laugh from how the names sound...

Barbarossa
17-09-2007, 10:17
Literal Translations are cool! If they would translate SM chapter names into german, we'd have Weltraum-Marineinfanteristen des Ordens der Weltraumwölfe! :D

squiggoth
17-09-2007, 10:45
the English names do sound cool, but I've always felt that native English-speaking people will not have the same feel for the names.

I've wondered about that myself ... if GW was based in the Netherlands and we were playing with Bloed Engelen and Wanordelijke Ruimtemariniers instead of Blood Angels and CSM, I would probably hate this game with a passion.
Skarsnik and Gobbla would be called "Kramsnee en Slikkuhr" or something hideous like that, and you'd have such linguistic horrors as "Thorgrim Wrok-drager", "Kolonel Scheerder's Laatste Kansers", "Kinderen van de Keizer", "Wereld-eters", "De Zuivering", "Woud-elf Krijgsdansers", "Fanatieke Nachtkabouters", "De Grote Onreine, Grotere Demoon van Nurgle", "Skragg de Slachter" or "Karl Franz, keizer van Het Keizerrijk".

Just be glad that it's an english game, even if you're native and *think* the english names are crappy. The Black Eye/Schwarzen Auge, Heroquest, Battlemasters and Space Quest have been presented on the dutch market in translated versions, and see what happened to those games. :p

BajsArne
17-09-2007, 10:48
Oh i figured space marines would have been "Raumjäger" in German. It´s not a direct tradition but it sounds good.

Isambard
17-09-2007, 10:49
Dude, Germany has the BEST games workshop names.

How about the 'Eldar Illum Zar Antigravpanzer'. That kicks so much **** all by itself!

squiggoth
17-09-2007, 11:08
"Panzaknakkaz". Best translation ever. :D

BaronDG
17-09-2007, 11:56
Could someone in germany remind me what you have changed the Holocaust power in the deamonhunters book to?

Stingray_tm
17-09-2007, 12:02
I think it's "Inferno", but i am not absolutely sure.

SOTIRIOS
17-09-2007, 12:41
Just for fun I write the translation for some 40k terms in Greek (written in latin characters)...(for Greeks and those lucky few of you who know the Greek language.)

Blood Angels= Aggeli tou Aimatos
Ultramarines= Apolytoi Pezonaftes
Space Wolves= Diastimiki Lyki
Black Templars= Mavri Naites
Dark Angels=Aggeli tou Skotous
Bolters=Keravnoopla
Bolt pistols=Keravnopistola
Missile Launcher=Ektokseftis Vlimaton
Dreadnought=Thorikto
Emperor=Aftokratoras
Salamanders= Salamandres
Predator = Arpagas
Annihilator= Eksolothreftis
Wave Serpent= Erpeto ton Kymaton
Hammerhead = Sfyrokefalos

That is for now. If anyone is interested I can go on... :)