PDA

View Full Version : My wife asked me to post this.

Pages : [1] 2

Obis
12-09-2007, 10:59
According to my wife I hold the record for being the biggest *****.
My claim to fame, sliced my hand open with my hobby knife, while cutting up one of the stupid SM tanks to make a respectable Orksie Battle wagon.( I not like da sm's dey not respectable like da orksies; but I likes to hammer dem on da hed alot)
8 Stitches later which then went bad and took 2 months to heal. I now support a lovely scar with a red bump on it.

Looking for other and similar war stories.
Please guys I can't be the only ***** out there; and this is one record I don't want to keep.

Crube
12-09-2007, 11:03
I did once end up with 20 spots of blood on my right hand, after losing my balance and putting all my (considerable) weight on a unit of the old plastic Gobbo spearmen... I lifted my hand and many were dangling from my hand....

But 8 stitches.... Jeesh man... :D

gitburna
12-09-2007, 11:04
I did something similar about 12 years ago, i was building a farmhouse type thing for Warhammer, cutting towards me on some thick cardboard with a fairly blunt knife. Yeah yeah i know, its like a scene from Casualty isnt it.

Anyway, it did slip and the thing sliced right into my thumb and all the way up the length of it to the hand. Actually theres not much of a scar left now except at the thumb end where it was deepest. Time does heal all wounds :D

thegreyman
12-09-2007, 11:09
Both of my thumbs are masses of scarring from trimming bits. Once when carrying some gaunts, I tripped and put a Hormagaunt scything talon about halfway into my hand. It didn't bleed much, but wouldn't heal until like 3 months later.

NeonWraith
12-09-2007, 11:09
Pfft. Until you've managed to superglue your hands together, you can stop moaning :p

Or, y'know, manage to cut your arm with a bread knife while slicing bread (not my hand, note, my *arm*)

Zanzibarthefirst
12-09-2007, 11:12
superglue your hands together, thats nothing, i've supergl;ued my foot to the floor once and superglued my hand to my head. Remember kids, always ask an adult for help when using superglue.

Crube
12-09-2007, 11:21
Supergluing hands together was something we used to do deliberately when I worked in Mail Order... God Sundays could be quiet...

ctsteel
12-09-2007, 11:21
unless said adult is superglued to the floor

dr vompire
12-09-2007, 11:22
I managed to get about half a tube of superglue into my mouth, haven't the slightest idea how, one minute sticking model, next minute trying not to vomit

pookie
12-09-2007, 11:27
no matter how many times i cut my self on a stanle blade, i stsill fail to stop doing it, although i do just use the blade rather than the actual 'stanley' knife! of and its not the blade that cuts me, but the top part thats a bit thicker!

my little bro once glued both hands/fingers together - with the lid in one and the tube in the other, he still claim's he didnt 'borrow' my GW stuff! to this day, although when he does say that i always produce the photo me and my other bros took of the incedent!

Ive a feeling we all have some mis-hap with superglue at some point.

lord_blackfang
12-09-2007, 11:33
My cousin nailed his hand to the table with a hobby knife. How's that?

Yeah, he just dropped the knife, it went straight through his finger and into the table.

Hulkster
12-09-2007, 11:36
i have cut my thumb many many times in my 12 years. doesnt really bother me any, i think that is bad.

slightly related but not

years and years ago when i was at school me and a friend of mine had a ruler fight. it must have been 13-14 years ago.

there we were fighting with those white plastic 'shatterproof' rulers when he hit me in the thumb. It went numb. I thought he had given me a 'dead' thumb so i went an ran it under the tap to get it to wake up. then i noticed the blood.

Looking at my thumb the ruler had sliced from the top down to the bone through the nail. I still have the scar. When i was looking at it i could have sworn the bone was chipped.

great thing is, i stuck a plaster on it and it was practically healed in a week.

Tensor
12-09-2007, 11:37
I know a guy who nailed his stomach to a table trying to do a diy belly button piercing. Not Wh related but seems to go with the theme.

Personally i've just hada lot of finger nicks. nothing serious yet. Superglue is great though - if you cut your finger just glue it back up - its what superglue was invented for!

PS Kids please do not follow my advice.

jb85
12-09-2007, 11:38
I did once end up with 20 spots of blood on my right hand, after losing my balance and putting all my (considerable) weight on a unit of the old plastic Gobbo spearmen... I lifted my hand and many were dangling from my hand....

Take it those were the 4th edition Goblins. Those things were more dangerous than any hobby knife :D

One_Second_of_Insanity
12-09-2007, 11:39
I got a pair of scissors lodged into my brothers kneecap a fair few years ago, I have also superglued my hand to my scalpel as well

Luke
12-09-2007, 11:52
Personally i've just hada lot of finger nicks. nothing serious yet. Superglue is great though - if you cut your finger just glue it back up - its what superglue was invented for!

Incorrect, it was originally invented in ww2 as a way to stick gun sight lenses on. It just so happens that it does a great job of sticking skin together :p

aenarion67
12-09-2007, 11:56
i once was cutting a highelf horse off a base and kept cutting and cutting and cutting until i ended up cutting through the base and into my tumb. stupid i pod distracts me!!!

Crube
12-09-2007, 12:01
Take it those were the 4th edition Goblins. Those things were more dangerous than any hobby knife :D

Indeed... so speaks the man with experience...

kanluwen
12-09-2007, 12:23
Heh, let's see...
Drilled my right hand open when the dremel got away from me; center of the palm.
Cut my left thumb open to the bone when I was trimming the rollcages from Sentinels. Which I have to add, now the damned extra armor from the Cadian Sentinel box WILL NOT FIT RIGHT. If you know how to do it, lemme know =P.
Superglued my left index finger to the table; had to cut the skin off to get it loose.
That's all I can think of right now...

dcikgyurt
12-09-2007, 12:32
I've got a habit of glueing a model together, then picking it up at the join before the glue has set properly and glueing the model to my hand. Oh, and I generally slice into my thumb every time I take something off a sprue. I wouldn't mind that too much, if it wasn't the hand I hold the knife in! :D

Feor
Geeze, I haven't really hurt myself yet. Closest I've gotten is the classic "Oh, hey, I got static grass on this guy's sword, I'll just hold him over the container of grass and blow it off."

Drilled my right hand open when the dremel got away from me; center of the palm.

"Why cut yourself with a knife? Do it right, use a power tool!"

Inquisitor_Malice
The worst one for me was dropping a hobby knife and had it sink into the middle of my left foot. If I ever drop a knife now - my feet instantly go buck wild and get the hell out of dodge (if I am sitting of course).

sigur
12-09-2007, 12:38
Well, I have to say that I seem to be one of the more cutious hobbyists.;)

Of course I cut my fingers a few times or put a drill into them. The two things I remember being the worst though happened back when I did all kinds of tank kits. Once, I couldn't find the screwdriver I usually opened the bottle of thinner I used to clean the brushes of email paint so I tried it with my teeth...

I must have been a bit too forceful and plastic lid opened and I got a sip of Nitroverdünnung™ into my mouth and a bit into my eye but there were no consequences to speak of...washed out my eye and mouth.

The other thing I remember happening was when I did the tracks of a Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.A. You surely know those soft vinyl-or-whatever-it-is tracks that come with some tank kits. You have to kind of "weld" them together because plastic glue just won't keep these things together. Unfortunately, these occations (like the tracks or making antennaes out of sprues) often tempt people to melt all kinds of unused plastic pieces just for fun. Dripping the melted, flaming plastic somewhere on your modelling table and such. At this one occation, I wasn't too cuatious and dripped the plastic onto the back of my right hand. Quite annoying pain that, similar to getting the glue of a hot-glue gun onto your hand...

Kloud13
12-09-2007, 13:04
you can tell when I've started a new project, cause my left thumb print has a a bunch of straight lines running through the centre of it. I don't often cut deep enough to draw blood, but I'm at biggest risk of that when I put new blade in my knife, and apply pressure like it was the old blade. If I do cut myself, I too use Superglue to seal it up, and then I got a big file that I file the excess glue off with, and I'm as good as new.

The one that hurts the most however, is when I'm trying to pin a model, and my drill bit breaks, and I push the broken end of the bit into my Thumb. That little prick hurts way more than a cut for some reason, I think cause it goes alot deeper.

Maynard
12-09-2007, 13:07
Aye I've cut myself man don't worry you're not the only ***** :D

I hobby knifed myself on a god damned Easterling IIRC! Blood pumped out really fast it went pretty deep....but 8 stitches? Dang. I tip my hat to thee sire.

Col.Gravis
12-09-2007, 13:09
I've impaled myself with a scapel on the odd occasion, goes with working with so many metal models - no pain no gain ;)

no1cafc
12-09-2007, 13:13
My fingers seem to have become immune to craft knifes they used to bleed now now it just ends up with a clean open slit that heals in like 20 mins

ctsteel
12-09-2007, 13:14
not hobby related (never really wounded myself badly yet): in high school science class a couple of guys next to me were fighting over the hot glue gun; one guy lets go suddenly, so the other guys strength yanks the gun back over his shoulder....into my eye.

luckily I must have got my eyelid shut just in time, as I had a big chunk of rapidly cooling glue over my eyelid rather than under it (though I didn't know for sure at the time). I had to go wash my eye out for ages, the glue hardened and I managed to pull it out taking a fair number of eyelashes with it.

Maynard
12-09-2007, 13:14
My fingers seem to have become immune to craft knifes they used to bleed now now it just ends up with a clean open slit that heals in like 20 mins

Nurgle has blessed you brother!!

Remoah
12-09-2007, 13:15
Well, I’ve only had minor cuts, but at one point I had all but my right and left ring fingers un-harmed, lots of bandaids.
Worst spot to cut is the webbing between your fingers, takes ages to heal.

But 8 stiches.... ouch.

Oddleg
12-09-2007, 13:19
Sliced off the top of my right thumb cutting up boards for spraying strips. Managed this at about ten in the evening so got to spend until 4 AM sat in casualty with the evening's brawlers........nice!

Sleazy
12-09-2007, 13:22
when i first started painting back in the 80s I had a tin of that horrible humbrol enamel stuff, I managed to knock it off the table, I tried to catch it before it ruined the carpet but only managed to set it spinning which ended with me getting a faceful of black enamel paint (try washing that off!).

Years later I had built a rather nice fortress from polystyrene, I sprayed it black before noticing a bit jutting out i didnt like. In my wisdom i tried to melt it off with a lighter, sadly the paint was not dry and ignited the polysterene. I had to leg it to the bathroom carring what can only be described as a huge fireball before dumping it on the bath. I had much melted polysterene burns on my hand and arms, scorched carpet and was sans eyebrows for a while.

Daniel36
12-09-2007, 13:29
Lol well, I can't top that previous post, but...
I was once messing about with glueing miniatures, when I suddenly got an itch in my eye. I did what I usually do when my eye itches, I jammed my finger into it.... But of course I had some glue on my finger. Fortunately it wasn't superglue, merely the plastic glue stuff, but it was weird anyways.

I can describe how it felt. I guess all of you have at least once taken a mint candy which is so refreshing it makes your mouth go al cold and hot at the same time? Well, the glue gives the same sensation... In your eye :D.

I washed it off quickly enough though!

pookie
12-09-2007, 13:49
Sleazy - Your Mad! in a nice way of course ;)

none GW related one i just thought about.

My wife (GF at the time) rang me at work to apologise for ruining the living room carpet, whilst she had her slippers on she felt her feet were a little cold, so held the her feet (still in the slippers) up to the fire, only she didnt realise that the rubber soles had melted, she only noticed when she got up and walked away, only the slippers wouldnt budge! she managed to melt them to the carpet! i wont say what i called her because it wasnt nice, but come on, who does that? warms there feet on the fire, whilst wareing slippers! ( she wares socks these days when her feet are cold)

Urza
12-09-2007, 14:08
Whilst trying to seperate the foot of an SM Plastic Dreadnought from it's base at 2am, (insomnia - don't ask!) I slipped and put the scalpel I was using right though my right index finger (Iim left handed), cutting it to the bone.

I didn't realise it was so bad until it started p*ssing claret everywhere. :eek:

I managed to staunch the blood flow and bandaged it up, but several days later when I took the dressing off it looked like the tip of my finger was dying - it had gone a ghostly white colour and there was no sensation whatsoever. :cries:

I went and got some of those really expensive 'jelly blister' plasters that have the medicated healing gunk in them, and it healed up nicely, although I still have a nasty scar and the fingernail on that finger grows weirdly on the side where the scar is.

Budro
12-09-2007, 14:20
I didn't realise it was so bad until it sparted p*ssing claret everywhere

"It's only a flesh wound!" *spurt spurt*

I do a lot of my modeling on the train to work (1.5 hrs each way - gotta have something to do). I had just put a new blade on the knife, and promptly sliced right through a bit of sprue into my thumb making a wound about 1.5 inches long. thankfully I also had my paint kit with me that I had some paper towels in so I also able to keep from bleeding on the other passengers. Soaked through 3 paper towels before it stopped bleeding, coated it liberally with super-glue (which ended up being tinged with red) and was fine.

It probably would have requied stiches, but since it was such a nice clean straight cut (how come I can only do that to myself and not the models?) with the superglue it healed up just fine.

And the military has been using super-glue for field dressings for decades.

Hellebore
12-09-2007, 14:21
I had a blocked glue tube.

I unscrewed the nozzel, looked down the tube, and blew into it. When blowing air in a container with only one opening it tends to come back out again - along with copious quantities of superglue.

End result was my entire mouth glued shut, my hand glued to my lips, and my right eye lids glued shut.

Hellebore

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-09-2007, 14:30
In life, I've been thrown through a window, had a fork stuck in my head, been run over by a pedal car mashing my knee, various other injuries...

But not once have I injured myself modelling...perhaps I'm just all injured out. OR it's saving up for decaptation with a Snotling.

yukisaiko
12-09-2007, 14:39
The worst one for me was dropping a hobby knife and had it sink into the middle of my left foot. If I ever drop a knife now - my feet instantly go buck wild and get the hell out of dodge (if I am sitting of course).

My friend was cutting some stuff, and his hobby knife rolled off the table and he locked his legs together totry to stop it and the blade dug into his thigh.

My worst experiences have been minor blade nicks or getting stabbed bu pin vise bits while drilling.

explorator
12-09-2007, 14:56
The one that hurts the most however, is when I'm trying to pin a model, and my drill bit breaks, and I push the broken end of the bit into my Thumb. That little prick hurts way more than a cut for some reason, I think cause it goes alot deeper.

I have pulled this neat trick-(twice!)-once into the tip of my thumb, and again into my palm. It really hurts so much worse than it seems it should, and hurts for days. Maybe it is the little plastic/metal shavings that get deep into the wound? But, 8 stitches, wow? That is alot for a 'hobby' related injury, but not enough to qualify for the 'biggest *****' title. Sorry.

Count de Monet
12-09-2007, 14:57
I once scratch-built a full size chainsword and accidentally decapitated myself. :o

let_the_galaxy_burn
12-09-2007, 14:58
Mostly been nicks and cuts here too, although there was one instance when i was attempting to hack the turret off an old metal + plastic predator with a stanley knife, must have been about 4am, (insomnia too @ urza) slipped and took a chunk out of my left arm, not serious but it hurt like a cast iron b*tch, touch of blood spray but got on with it and cleaned up, not noticing where some of the spatter had landed, to this day i still got complemented on the "realism" of the blood effect on one of my guard commisars swords, if only they knew huh?

Captain Micha
12-09-2007, 15:00
not 40k but applicaple.

First time with my new switch blade, it opened so hard that it jumped out of my hand and went right down into my big toe. still got the scar.

Next up, wound up with mineral spirits spilled onto my pants and into my boot... forgot about it over night after I washed my foot off. went to work next day with the boot on....

2nd degree burn later..

Had a paint can explode it's contents onto me as well..

Thoth62
12-09-2007, 15:12
To all of those promoting the use of Superglue as a quick fix to knife cuts. Don't be giving the kiddies a wrong idea. Citadel Super Glue is not sterile. I used to do that untill I got a nasty infection in my thumb a couple of years back. I ended up having to go to the Emergency Room.

As another poster has said, you can also tell when I start a new project as well, as I gain a large number of minor cuts on my thumb. Only one out of every 30 or so draws blood, but I don't let that stop me. I've actually started using tape around my thumb to protect it.

but my story of embarressment is thus. I had a cold, and was busy glueing something (I can't remember what) together. You know how, when you have a runny nose, you often wipe it with the back of your hand? Well I do that constantly. Somehow, I'm still not sure how, I managed to get superglue on the back of my hand. I wiped my nose. My nose stopped running... But only because I had manage, in one fell swipe, to glue both of my nostrils shut. My mother laughed at me untill she saw me pry them back open with my hobby knife. No cuts, but not my brightest moment.

squiggoth
12-09-2007, 15:29
superglue your hands together, thats nothing, i've supergl;ued my foot to the floor once and superglued my hand to my head. Remember kids, always ask an adult for help when using superglue.

I superglued both my feet to the floor once, simultaneously. Without help from an adult. :p

I've had most different kinds of Warhammer-related accidents .... fingers sliced/sawed/drilled/glued together, 4th edition plastic Goblins lodged in the hand, superglue burns, pro-painted teeth/clothes/floors etc. The weirdest injury I've ever had was a piece of GW clipper embedded in my left eyebrow. Stupid thing snapped when I was trying to clip a Tankbusta Boyz's arm off, and half the blade flew right into my head. Needless to say, I use modelling saws for that kind of stuff nowadays. :D

Zerosoul
12-09-2007, 15:54
I think I said this in the last thread like this, but...

I had a tube of superglue in my mouth while working on a particularly irritating join(a Satyxis Raider's whip, for those to whom that means anything), and realized only after a moment - the tube was leaking. My teeth were glued to my lips, and my tongue to the roof of my mouth. Superglue fumes were also burning my eyes and throat. That sucked, a lot.

Jedi152
12-09-2007, 16:02
Geeze, I haven't really hurt myself yet. Closest I've gotten is the classic "Oh, hey, I got static grass on this guy's sword, I'll just hold him over the container of grass and blow it off."
Guilty as charged!

My eyes were bloodshot for a few hours after that, i can tell you...

Rider-Of-Kurnous
12-09-2007, 16:02
I once superglued all my fingers on one hand together.
I also once cut two fingers in 2 minutes.
My dad drilled his finger with the pin drill

Rider-

Shadowphrakt
12-09-2007, 16:03
i know a guy who got a land raider glued to his hand. with a whole tube of superglue (it wasnt his fault).
I also know someone who was cutting towards themselves with a scalpel like knife, and cut a slice,sliver of their nose off.

oh yeah, and i stabbed myself through my finger, which ended up cutting the webbing between my fingers. it still hasn't healed.

Crube
12-09-2007, 16:04
On a DIY note, I was drilling a pilot hole when putting my shed up, and managed to slip and drill thorough my finger nail, through my finger and out the other side...

Strangely though, it healed really quickly, and I have no discernable scar...

Sir_Turalyon
12-09-2007, 16:07
My claim to fame, sliced my hand open with my hobby knife, while cutting up one of the stupid SM tanks to make a respectable Orksie Battle wagon.( I not like DA sm's dey not respectable like DA orksies; but I likes to hammer dem on da hed alot)
8 Stitches later which then went bad and took 2 months to heal. I now support a lovely scar with a red bump on it.

Did similiar thing, only when making terrain, and to my hip, not hand. Only 4 stiches but it costed me a failed exam (only one during my studies), which made me lose yearly grant for good enough students...

My (then) fiancee faced it much better, through :D.

asmodan
12-09-2007, 16:07
I just put a fresh blade on my surgical scalpel and thought Hmmm.. better not cut towards myself with this sharp new blade. So I started cutting some guardsmen legs from the sprue using the knife towards myself and ended up with the blade embedded in my thumb. luckily I had superglue handy.

Asmodan

scarletsquig
12-09-2007, 16:09
I managed to cut my balls once. Thankfully, it was a minor cut that healed up within a day.

I'd rather not talk about what caused it, but rest assured, it was retarded >_>

jb85
12-09-2007, 16:11
Reading this thread I think there are a few people, for their own safety, who could do with backtracking to lego :p

dcikgyurt
12-09-2007, 16:19
Like all of us! :D

Puddy
12-09-2007, 16:21
I once sculpted when I used to much force... the entire scalpel blade ended up in my thumb.

ash_wednesday
12-09-2007, 16:32
Pfft. Until you've managed to superglue your hands together, you can stop moaning :p

Everytime I glue models together, that happens at least 5 times. No biggy.

Killmaimburn
12-09-2007, 16:41
I've done the classic of thinking I had an evening to myself, time to model some mutants, hmm cheap glue a bit watery... never mind use it like water.5 minutes of peace then mobile rings with long call..... Took me an hour to pull the phone off.
(yes it only took me a second with the first yooink, but that just pulled my phone apart:()
Does anyone actually bother keeping that anti glue stuff around (I'm sure I have some, I just never know where it is when it matters)

let_the_galaxy_burn
12-09-2007, 16:46
Reading this thread I think there are a few people, for their own safety, who could do with backtracking to lego :p

Hey!
those damn bricky things can be dangerous!
Seriously though most of these accidents could have been avoided with a healthy dose of common sense (ironically not that common), simply cut away from yourselves with knives (see above, i learnt this the hard way) and dont put glue/flock/anything else small or liable to cause irrtation near your eyes nose or mouth. Course like everyone else I have the "oh I know what I'm doing it cant possibly be dangerou.........." attitude too.

Adra
12-09-2007, 16:49
My claim to fame, sliced my hand open with my hobby knife, while cutting up one of the stupid SM tanks to make a respectable Orksie Battle wagon.( I not like da sm's dey not respectable like da orksies; but I likes to hammer dem on da hed alot)

She was right to make you post this....tut tut

Da Reddaneks
12-09-2007, 16:53
I did almost the exact thing. I was cutting appart a vehicle to make an ork buggy out of it. Basically i was whittleing down a part of the vehicle using great force. The knife slipped and I quite litterally sliced off a dime size peice of my knuckle down the the grissel. The hole was large enough and in such a spot that i was not a candidate for stitches.

Another time, and in no where near as dramatic of an accident, the exacto knife slipped and i plunged it into my thigh. It went mostly straight down so it was deep but not terraibly wide. I just used superglue to close that one up.

Adra
12-09-2007, 16:55
I once fell over a land raider.........

spaint2k
12-09-2007, 17:02
My friend was cutting some stuff, and his hobby knife rolled off the table and he locked his legs together totry to stop it and the blade dug into his thigh.

That could have easily been a lot worse.

Steve

Culven
12-09-2007, 17:03
OK, so after reading through the posts, and laughing hardily, I have a few thoughts:

1) Use a sharp blade as dull blades tend to slip.
2) Always cut away from yourself, but not towards others.
3) Use the correct tool. There are typically safety reasons for not using tools for something for which they weren't designed.
4) Don't put glue in your mouth, eye, or any other oriface.
5) For those cutting themselves with knives, maybe you should consider learning about clippers.
6) When you drop you knife (and you will...repeatedly) for the love of God don't try to catch it! Get out of the way and pick it up after it has come to a complete full and stop.
7) Perhaps it isn't a good idea to play with sharp implements or power tools when suffering from insomnia. Try painting with non-toxic paints, colouring in a book, or writing instead.
8) While superglue works quite well at sealing a cut, make sure you wash it out before gluing it shut. Wounds tend to fester when bacteria is sealed in them. (Disclaimer: I do not advocate using glue instead of a medical professional to attend to wounds. Anyone doing so does so at their own risk ;)).
9) Wear shoes when planning to step on pointy bits.

Well, those are a few tips I have learned, mostly by watching what happens when you don't follow them.

Adra
12-09-2007, 17:07
lol...Safty Culven to the rescue :D

Thorny
12-09-2007, 17:18
I was cutting an arm of empire general when my knife blade shatters sending shards into my thumb to the bone 2 hours of extraction serjrery later i had a shiny plaster and a thumb without metal in it.

BPK
12-09-2007, 17:19
i seperated my index finger from my hand with a jigsaw while cutting out bases for terrain. it is now re-attached but there was some loss of movement. took about a month and two operations to get it back just right.

Ninners
12-09-2007, 17:22

Same thing happened to me. Stupid automatic reflexes! :evilgrin:. Sure, it's good if i drop a model and catch it in between my legs, but why can't my brain realise it's a knife I'm trying to catch?! :p

Culven
12-09-2007, 17:32
lol...Safty Culven to the rescue :D
Actually, it was my mate Safety Guy that asked me to post that. Here is a poster in which he was featured. ;)

no matter how many times i cut my self on a stanle blade, i stsill fail to stop doing it, although i do just use the blade rather than the actual 'stanley' knife! of and its not the blade that cuts me, but the top part thats a bit thicker!

I'm from Leeds and I keep doing this !!??

I sense a pattern here !!

;)

The_Patriot
12-09-2007, 17:41
I've been lucky to have never done anything like what some people posted. My dad, on the other hand, fits in with this group. He had this great idea to vaporize gasoline before it hit the carburetor to get better fuel efficiency in his pick up. His test bed was a simple 2 stroke lawnmower engine and a custom made tank that held the gas. He didn't spend the $2.50 to get a blow back valve. Needless to say the engine backfired which threw flames back into the gas tank and promptly exploded. The explosion also ripped the top of the homemade tank and threw it into the ceiling above his workbench putting a good sized hole into the ceiling tiles above the workbench. One of his customers was at the counter and literally peed his pants when the explosion happened.

The customer called an ambulance and my dad was rushed to the ER for treatment. I got a call from him to pick him up from the hospital and take him home, so I got him. On the way home I asked him why he didn't spend the extra money to buy a blow back valve and he replied that he didn't want to spend the money on something expensive.

He had shrapnel from the gas tank in his right eye, forehead, right arm, and chest. I had to be his driver for the next month because he was prohibited from driving by the doctor.

L' aéronautique d' Eldar
12-09-2007, 17:42
i once stepped on the "thing" which connects 4 small bases together... the one with the pointy tip...
Damned thing when right through my heel
But otherwise, nothing but a few nicks here and there and superglued fingers

Grazzy
12-09-2007, 17:53
Superglued fingers and small time (in that i didnt need stitches...) cuts is probably the worst ive sustained from the hobby.

El_Phen
12-09-2007, 18:11
My GOD either this is the most dangerous hobby in the world or we're all REALLY dumb somtimes ;)

My own list of injuries includes the usual weekly gluing of myself to myself/tables/chairs, stanley/craft knife cuts to the fingers/thumbs and body (mostly chest area) and 4th ed Warhammer goblin injuries. Also, I can claim to have inadvertantly jumped onto some High Elf cavalry in bare feet, thrown a dice at the wall in frustration only to have it rebound into my eye and put my fist through a Chaos Land Raider when it got blown up for the millionth time.

In non-GW related hilarity I once fired a pencil out of a crossbow at my brothers knee. I laughed. He went to A & E.

Actually, thinking about it now, we also have a lot of anger issues too.

yukisaiko
12-09-2007, 18:18
I've been lucky to have never done anything like what some people posted. My dad, on the other hand, fits in with this group. He had this great idea to vaporize gasoline before it hit the carburetor to get better fuel efficiency in his pick up. His test bed was a simple 2 stroke lawnmower engine and a custom made tank that held the gas. He didn't spend the $2.50 to get a blow back valve. Needless to say the engine backfired which threw flames back into the gas tank and promptly exploded. The explosion also ripped the top of the homemade tank and threw it into the ceiling above his workbench putting a good sized hole into the ceiling tiles above the workbench. One of his customers was at the counter and literally peed his pants when the explosion happened.

The customer called an ambulance and my dad was rushed to the ER for treatment. I got a call from him to pick him up from the hospital and take him home, so I got him. On the way home I asked him why he didn't spend the extra money to buy a blow back valve and he replied that he didn't want to spend the money on something expensive.

He had shrapnel from the gas tank in his right eye, forehead, right arm, and chest. I had to be his driver for the next month because he was prohibited from driving by the doctor.

I would almost pay to have seen that. You could prolly win on America's Funniest Home Videos with that. Or at least be featured on Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a Redneck If..." :D

Or is this how Darwin Awards begin? Like the old joke goes, "What's the last thing a Redneck says before he dies? Hey guys, watch this..." :evilgrin:

Adra
12-09-2007, 18:29
Actually, it was my mate Safety Guy that asked me to post that. Here is a poster in which he was featured. ;)

Thats one safe dude....i feel safe just looking....

Emperor's Grace
12-09-2007, 18:36
Mostly just nicks on thumbs etc...

but I have done this:

his hobby knife rolled off the table and he locked his legs together to try to stop it and the blade dug into his thigh.

and have superglued fingers together and to a model (had to cut them apart with the free hand - don't try this at home kids!)

and I have stapled a shoe to the floor (knife dropped between toes).

My biggest problem, though, has always been banging my head into the light fixture/lamp when reaching across the table for something.

OffT but related:

which ended with me getting a faceful of black enamel paint (try washing that off!

I did a similar thing in college with a "nuclear dye" (stains the cell nucleus).
My hands/arms were purple for roughly two weeks until the skin cells sloughed off.

Apparently you've never had the joy of falling/stepping onto a sack full of loose legos. Yeowch!

Andyalloverdaplace
12-09-2007, 19:03
Sigh, we are a dangerous lot, aren't we. Oh well, at least it keeps us off the streets.

Apart from the odd cuts, I'm notorious in our gaming group for spouting off on some topic for several minutes, eloquently arriving at my conclusion, and finishing with "... and I've just glued my fingers together".

Worst self inflicted was cutting myself on a computer chassis. I didn't go to emergency right away, so after tying my hand above my head, I went to sleep. The next day I dropped in on a medicenter and had it checked out, it would have earned 2 stitches, but since I had waited I just got stitch tape.

Lord Balian
12-09-2007, 19:09
Dude I'm sorry, but I have to agree with your wife. 8 stiches is bad.
My worst cuts were both on my thumbs. One from pulling apart a clump of stealwool in wood class, and it sliced my thumb open. The other was slicing down the side of my thumb while widdling wood while camping.
I have superglued my fingers together or even my finger to a model. That sucks more the for the model, because it can't regenerate. :) I stuck some sharp pointy bits of some Skorne models into my thumbs, while glueing them together. Dam those models suck.

NallTWD
12-09-2007, 19:13
Here's a fun one:

I was working in the Harvard Square Battle Bunker a few years ago helping an 11 year old put together a Land Raider for his World Eaters. I was teaching him about why I was doing the knifework and the fact I routinely cut myself up, as it's fairly unavoidable sometime. It was a few moments later I was showing him how *not* to get cut and managed to tear open the back of one of my fingers. I still can't tell you how it happened, but i got blood all over the Khorne icon on the assault ramps. We looked at each other and blinked.

"This is a sign you know"
"Yeah! Blood for the blood god!"

His mother was standing there horrified as i continued to bleed on his new tank, but we were super psyched about this obvious blessing. XD

Splagbot
12-09-2007, 19:16
I once almost cut off my pointing finger with a knife whilst trying to assemble my first Leman Russ Battle Tank, I now sport a rather large scar on that very same finger, imagine that.:rolleyes:

ServanoTomasin
12-09-2007, 19:18
I've had a fair few fun accidents whilst hobbying.

I've glued my hand to my mug of tea before and My arm locked in place. I wouldn't have minded much, but it was stuck in such a way that I ended up pooring all of the boling tea down my throught until I manged to move and they I ended up with tea in my lap, and leaves in my eyes.

I've glued my hand down to the table numerous times, to a chair and to a TV set. I've cut my hands many times, and some of my pals think I'm self harming in the wrong place.

When I was making some make-shift extra armour for my whirlwind, the knife slipped and it went through my thumb, not much, but since I was 12 it hurt like hell. The next day after I played a big game against my mate at his birthday. He and some mates bought some things and since he was playing a game and I had finsihed painting my men I built them. Bad idea. The spikes from his chaos bikes slid into the cut in my thumb and blood poored over his bikers. On the plus side, he had realistic blood.

I once fixed my techmarine after his arms snapped so that he looked like his servoarms were arm wrestling with each-other.

I once ended up duncking a rich-tea bicce in a tin of paint and not my tea.... My mum thought that I'd rotted my teeth in a few mins!

Raven1
12-09-2007, 19:38
WOW!! :eek: you people are terrible. I have only cut myself a few times on the thumbs. Plus, I glued my hand shut. I had a superglue thing, and I was trying to get the very last drop out of it, when the glue burst from the sides and glued my hand shut and my fingers together.

The Keeper of Secrets
12-09-2007, 19:50
Incorrect, it was originally invented in ww2 as a way to stick gun sight lenses on. It just so happens that it does a great job of sticking skin together :p

Incorrect, superglue (cyanoacrylate) was in fact invented by accident by by Dr Harry Coover whilst trying to make transparent gun sights. uperglue was first marketed in 1958, and used medically in the Vietnam War to heal wounds.

setekhite
12-09-2007, 19:54
The worst I've managed was needing 4 stitches in my hand after slipping with a craft knife. On the plus side, it was while building a Khornate Land Raider - so I reckoned that a blood sacrifice in construction was entirely appropriate. I guess I used to take army theming a bit too far.

The Guy
12-09-2007, 20:01
Worst I had was slicing my finger open when tryin to fix a land raider. Blood was everywhere. The wound then split again the day after. The list of non GW related injuries is almost endless. Like riding my skateboard on a see saw at the park, with people on it :p

kortholaxthedamned
12-09-2007, 20:28
Stood on a plastic bag of plastic gobbo's, like Crube. Unfortunately three went in incredibly deep, and brought some plastic bag bits with them. Not nice.

colmarekblack
12-09-2007, 21:04
I've glued my-self to my-self many times (Not like in American Pie 2 :p).

But my friend glued his head to his hand once when he stayed over at mine :D

And BTW lego does hurt when you tread on it.

Merceus
12-09-2007, 21:17
i've supergl;ued my foot to the floor once

Hurray :D I;m not the only one! Took ages to pry up! THe entire tube must've spilt down there!!

I've only recieved minor scrapes from the knife, no biggy... though one of the workers at my local GW managed to slice the top of his tumb off (down to where the nail ends)... It doesn't notice, ut it doesnt sound too nice...

How bad do wounds have to be to need stitches? Cos I had one about a cm or so deep and a few inches across... didn't get stitches... Just let it bleed out till it stopped and healed...

etancross
12-09-2007, 21:28
I stepped on my Dremmel (drill) while taking to a chick i was trying to hook up with, and let out the most girlish squeel of all time....

badnewsblair
12-09-2007, 21:32
I think the answer to your question is "No."

You are the dumbest person in the world. Take her to this topic and point out that there are 5 pages of mindless injuries here.

DoomedFuture
12-09-2007, 21:40
I was playing a game of 40k and one of my obliterators has a banner pole, all sharp and chaosy. I slapped my hand down wuickly, and impaled my thumb on the banner pole. Feeling a sharp pain, I lifted my hand to see what was going on, and it was deep enough that the whole obliterator came up with it, it was hanging there from my thumb.

Blood was dripping all over my army, and I was pleased. I too take my themeing too far.

RUSSADER
12-09-2007, 21:41
My brother and I were converting Word Bearers and my brother freaked out when he saw the time. In a hurry to get get and simotaniously leave to get laid he started carving into the plastic Chaos warrior capes harder and harder. Finally it slipped and the knife sliced right into his nuckle. The entry was at one end of the nuckle while the blade stopped at the other end, creating a cool door like effect with the tissue over the bone. 4 stitches later he finally was able to meet up with his girlfriend. It looks pretty gross even to this day.

oomankillakan
12-09-2007, 22:10
My freind stepped on some genestealers... wel lets say there claws arent "rending"for nothing

And i was walking past my dad who had an exacto knife in his hands and he was swinging his arms and sliced my palm. No bleeding it just hurt like :skull::evilgrin::rolleyes::(

Temprus
12-09-2007, 22:12
I had a 10 year hiatus from modeling. When I started back a few months ago, I made a rookie mistake that I have never made before (or since). I held the item I was cutting in my hand, not on the desk. I found out almost immediately why one should not do this. My hobby knife slipped on a hard piece of plastic and tried to take of the first segment off of my left middle finger. Thankfully it bounced off of the fingernail and so only sliced through the fleshly part of the tip. It looked bad, bleed well and HURT. :cries: I showed my roommate, he grabbed his liquid bandage kit (i.e. sterile super-glue) and I was patched up in like 5 minutes of the accident. I let the glue set for shy of an hour and then went back to cutting the parts down, this time using proper cutting techniques. :D

DrDoom
12-09-2007, 22:15
In a brilliant feat of manual dexterity, I managed to get Zap a Gap in my eye once. Hurt like hell.

Bassik
12-09-2007, 22:22
I once was pushing realy hard on a piece of paper with a pencil.. and it slipped and went straight into my left hand, in that bit between your thumb and pointy finger. most of the tip and a bit of the shaft where red when I pulled it nonchalantly out (and then it started to hurt like hell)

Warhammer related: Stepped on a rhino (chaos one, with the spikes), tripped, and banged my head against the table.

Do NOT play on floors, people.

Tanith Ghost
12-09-2007, 22:27
I now support a lovely scar with a red bump on it..

Look on da orky side of it- Da red 'uns go fasta! :D

I once got a nice dozen stitches myself unsealing an old glue bottle with a knife. Sliced my hand like fresh bread, right on the meat of the thumb base.
And somehow without narking a single joint or nerve, lucky me.

TheEndIsHere
12-09-2007, 23:01
I super glued my hand to my lips and my foot to the floor

What happened is the Paris Hilton scandal in the news I went <angry>omg who cares</angry> then their like, she went to JAIL AGAIN!!! then I got all <sarcasm>OMG!! </sarcasm> and slam my hand over my mouth but I had super glue on my hand. Then I turned around fast pulling cause I was trying to get it off my nose (couldn't breath) and I think thats when I hit my supper glue on the table and made it fall on the ground. Then after I did it I went to go up stairs and step in something wet and my foot couldn,t get off the ground...

My sister was sleeping upstairs... What I had to do was make the chair fall to make enough noise to wake her up, wich didn't wake her up I was stuck like that until my dad came home about 45 mins later (thank god the TV was on well acutally if it wasn't for the TV it wouldn't of had happened) and we riped out my foot out of the ground (actually I fell and it ripped out), (I went to pee) and then went to the doctors (I still have a big hole in my foot about like maybe 1/3" deep and 8/10" wide)

Cause of the chair on the ground I couldn't stil down to watch TV or change the channel (I was watching the news...)

D-End

killa kan kaus
12-09-2007, 23:04
A series of events got a TON of superglue on the back my hand then a devilfish stuck to it. I tore the dfish off but still have marks to remind me the fish o fury

scratchbuilt
12-09-2007, 23:50
Darwin will be claiming many of you very soon I think

The only thing thats happened to me is getting high on fumes.

Loved those old super pointy goblins. You could easily stab someone to death with one of them. Rather genius move on GW's behalf I don't think.;)

Eldar Pairidaeza
13-09-2007, 00:12
I once was using scissors to cut parts off the sprues because I couldn't remember where the modeling knife was. Everything was proceeding well until I felt a little stinging in the top part of my thumb. There was a big cut all the way to the bone and for a couple of seconds no blood appeared. Then with a nice throbbing sensation blood started pumping out making a mess of the Hammerhead sprue. The carpet is still stained with a trail of blood from my room to the kitchen to the front door :D

I also had a non-GW related accident with scissors to the same thumb at school which left a trail of blood from the classroom to the first aid room, ahh the memories :)

I have also drilled into my hand with a power drill when I was trying to pin the stupid Treeman together. Getting the drill bit out was the tricky bit.

There is of course lots of cuts with the modeling knife although no super glue incidents.

Batwings
13-09-2007, 00:18
Oh, I've got a good 'un:

Back in the day when GW was still something of a cottage industry on Castle Boulevard, the 'Eavy Metal team spent much of their spare time putting together and painting those big vinyl kits of movie characters and monsters. One Saturday, Jay, a particularly clumsy team member (so clumsy in fact that GW had to start an Injuries Book just to keep track of the damage he was doing to himself) was assembling a vinyl Alien 3 monster. After gluing all the pieces together he decided the kit was too lightweight and set about adding ballast by injecting plaster of Paris into the Alien's heel using a giant syringe.
It was impossible to tell how 'full' the little beastie was becoming until our valiant modeler withdrew the syringe, whereupon a jet of pressurised plaster shot out of the alien, hitting the poor chap right between the eyes, blinding him! He then proceeded to whirl around the tiny GW kitchen, like a garden sprinkler, hosing down the entire room.

It still makes me smile to this day.

Jonik
13-09-2007, 00:24

I was in my local GW when one of the younger kids managed to superglue his head to the painting table.... Highly funny! There was a spillage, and he didn't realise and bent down to pick up something off the floor... and couldn't get back up!!!

holymarine
13-09-2007, 01:24
I once cut my hand and in the hurry to get a tissue I got superglue in the cut.

Batwings
13-09-2007, 01:29
"I once cut my hand and in the hurry to get a tissue I got superglue in the cut."

Which is fine since that's exactly what superglue was invented for... emergency battlefield first aid!

MADJAP77
13-09-2007, 01:37
scratch building a SW russ for my friend and put my xacto knife 2 inches into my thumb. every time i play him and the russ is on the table 1st turn i have my 6 broadsides turn it to smoldering slag......viva tau

Jon_Irenicus
13-09-2007, 01:57
Managed to open up my knee after I had trying using a blunt Swiss knife (of which I left the blade out, and on top of my bed...).

I managed to introduce a X-acto into my thumb.

And possibly the most dangerous thing I have ever done. Using perfume soaked rolled paper, the perfume itself as spray, and a lighter without gas to light up a cigarette. No, wait, try jumping onto some bushes while playing "drunken hide and seek" (without a t-shirt), thinking "it'll be just like the cartoons and I'll fade out of view!".

Modelling wise I've got the odd cut, sore thumbs, leaky eyes thanks to superglue, and getting high sniffin' on an odd enamel plastic glue. Never had to get stitches, but I've been through hell and back for not washing my hands properly after fiddling with greenstuff. That stuff hits you harder than black beans, I tell you.

Isolation
13-09-2007, 02:32
Darwin will be claiming many of you very soon I think

The only thing thats happened to me is getting high on fumes.

Loved those old super pointy goblins. You could easily stab someone to death with one of them. Rather genius move on GW's behalf I don't think.;)

I don't think its possible to escape the world of modelling without at least one accident major on your hands. No one is perfect. We'll be waiting for the "...and there I was..." story.

I've had my fair share of deep cuts, nicks and thumb-to-index glue situations. The absolute worst I've had was having both, yes BOTH, of my hands stuck to my face via cyanoacrylite. I was screwing the cap to a large bottle of superglue (we're talking something the size of a candy bar, Snickers length, cylindrical) while having the fumes affect me from having to sneeze. If you came and talked to any of my gaming friends to know me....I sneeze rather violently. I wound up having the glue all over my hands and on the uptake to inhale, I wound up having both glued to my face (gotta love reflex actions, and I am at times, a klutz). I screamed like a little girl due to the chemical burn and subsequently fell back on a chair. ...and there I was, lying on the ground, hands-to-face, in the fetal position. Wound up having to rip the hands from my face. Hands have healed up as best they could, but I have trouble feeling some parts of my palms.

Looking back I laugh on it now, wasn't really funny then. It was at that point, I stopped buying large bottles of super glue.

Khorn8 Frenzy
13-09-2007, 02:48
I was playing in a tournament at my local hobby store when i cut my finger on one of my Khorne Rhinos. It is my firm belief that if you cannot kill your opponent with your models they aren't worth fielding. This particular one just happened to have a saw blade affixed to it. :evilgrin:

Anywho, I did what any good Khorne player would do and smeared the blood on the belly of the beast that wounded me. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!...and whatnot.

Isolation
13-09-2007, 03:26
A saw blade in a rhino....I may just now have seen everything.

Monospot
13-09-2007, 04:00
Well, this seems like a good thread for my first post.

Last week, I was working on a few Rhinos...in three days, I cut myself once across a fingertip with an exactoknife, drilled a small drill bit into two different fingertips, and managed to jam a pair of scissors edge first straight into the meat of my hand (to be fair, I was cutting flower stems for my wife on that one). All 4 injuries were on my left hand. My wife officially forbade me from touching anything sharp for several days (but she has to work sometime :) )

mistformsquirrel
13-09-2007, 04:08
My worst thus far (Keeping in mind, my total models assembled is around 25); has been to slash open my left index finger. I was creating an oversized 2handed sword as a "counts as" powerfist for my Assault Marine Sgt; slipped and it cut deeeeep.

The thing being, I knew about the "superglue as stitches" thing from my uncle who was in Vietnam thing. So, not wanting to interrupt my work for something as petty as blood-loss, I wiped it off with a tissue and superglued myself >.>

Funny part: It worked like a charm. I had to hold it for a fair bit, but the cut was the kind that you didn't feel to begin with, so I wasn't feeling anything anyway; and it sealed it up quite nicely. Half an hour after the accident I was back at it <'x'>

.. Oh and then I cut my thumb 4 different times in a row. Because I'm a freaking idiot. (Cutting little tiny things, like shaving the skulls off of marines to affix them to other parts of said marines; I was cutting toward my thumb... and of course, without realizing it, I'd cut my thumb several times. I didn't feel anything till I saw blood. Then I jumped!)

mistformsquirrel
13-09-2007, 04:09
I was playing in a tournament at my local hobby store when i cut my finger on one of my Khorne Rhinos. It is my firm belief that if you cannot kill your opponent with your models they aren't worth fielding. This particular one just happened to have a saw blade affixed to it. :evilgrin:

Anywho, I did what any good Khorne player would do and smeared the blood on the belly of the beast that wounded me. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!...and whatnot.

If we ever game together for any reason, remind me not to make you made enough to hurl a model at me.

Ouch >.>

ssgtdude
13-09-2007, 04:38
cutting the tip of a tube of adhesive open with a scalpel. Blade cut through and continued on into my finger. Glued it shut with some CA glue check the pics.

Psycoticspacemarine
13-09-2007, 04:48
I have had my fair share of cuts and glue inccidents. My worst is a genestealer rending claw lodged firmly in my left index finger.

mistformsquirrel
13-09-2007, 06:01
I have had my fair share of cuts and glue inccidents. My worst is a genestealer rending claw lodged firmly in my left index finger.

Genie rolled a 6 eh? <,<

RainbowKittens
13-09-2007, 07:21
Sliced my thumb open the other day when converting my carnifex....

Captain Cortez
13-09-2007, 07:39
I've had my fair share of cuts from hobby knifes and stuff.

I think my worst was when I was glueing a tank (Leman Russ) and I was trying to sandwich the two parts of the track gardes. Well I put allot of super glue (CA Hot Stuff) and I put allot of presure into the tow pieces that go together (the track wheels). Then *clap* while my face was in front of the model I closed my eyes. Strange I couldn't open my eyes:confused:. I was trying and trying like that feeling when their's mucus crust keeping your eyes shut. My eyes were stuck closed! I stumbled out of my hobby area like a blind man, bumping everthingthing. I then came to a crawl.

I call to my mom and shes wondering why I'm walking like a mummy arms stright forward.

Well I was under some hot water for a very long time and luckly my eyes opened. My eyes are ok but it was a very close call. Problem was that my lower eye lashes had more hair than my tops;).

EmperorNorton
13-09-2007, 07:56
I have lots of small cuts on my right thumb, but I guess that just comes with the hobby.
I've glued my fingers together on several occasions.

The most interesting accident was when I glued my tongue to one of my teeth. I had to open a new bottle of super glue and was too lazy to get a knife, so I bit off the plastic cap and the glue - defying gravity - started spilling.

I also cut myself on a walnut once, but that wasn't hobby related.

75hastings69
13-09-2007, 09:06
I mangaed to put a pin vice drill bit right through my finger!!! If you think it was sore going in you should have seen me squirm trying to get it back out!!!! I ended up getting my wife to take the bit out of the vice and cut the skin over the drill bit so it would lift out, to be fair she did a great job with the craft knife and got it straight out! then I had to clean all the metal flash out of the very deep cut!!! I was going to take a pic for my project log, but she said there was something inherently wrong about that!

I also managed to glue a plastic beastman shield to my hand using Rocket Cyano glue, it was there for about 2 days!!!

fwacho
13-09-2007, 09:16
teh worst I 've done was while helping my buddie put some marines together I was trimming the dried superglue off the top of the glue bottle with a hobby knife (carpet knife in my case). a litte bit went flyign and got into my eye. it wouldn't ahv ebene so bad but it still had a little bit of glue on it. after washign it outf or about 5 minutes I stil couldn't see straight for nearly 3 days. all this time my buddies took punning pot shots at my stupidity.

Deamon-forge
13-09-2007, 09:28
And BTW lego does hurt when you tread on it.

I so agree with that LEGO do hurt!

IV done a few things in my time, Glued my hand to a model,mug,table,chair,tv,trousers. IV cut my thumb a few times, and iv got a scar on my arm were the knife blade broke and went up my arm (fix'd with superglue) And droped my knife and it went into my foot. I could go on and on......

Biomass Denial
13-09-2007, 10:25
First model i ever made was my carnifex. First thing i did was try to remove one of the legs from the sprues with a serated leatherman blade.......... second thing i did succeed in cutting leg out of sprue while at the same time splitting the nail on my left index finger and most of the finger under it. That was not fun.

I didnt get stiches but lots of bandaids fixed it good.

Curufew
13-09-2007, 12:25
Mine is regarding some stupid things I did to my models.

Once a upon a time, I heard some people says that models that are painted with vallejo paints get their paint scratch off very easily. So after spending like 2 hours painting on the model, I decide to test whether the rumors are true. I scratch the model with my finger nails and the paint got scratch off.

And also never ever paint your vehicles in Codex Grey. I learned it the hard way when I painted my first vehicle a Devilfish in Codex Grey. After spending 1 day on the fish, I brought it to the shop where we play and asked some of the people there how it looks. Most of their replies were, is it even painted? Until now, the devilfish have remain in this colour.

crandall87
13-09-2007, 13:24
8 Stitches is bad. The only recent injury I have had was when using my large Xuron clippers I missed the sprue and clipped into my middle finger.

My colleague did try and light a mag flint with a bowie knife and cut himself which may not be hobby related but that is just plain stupid.

Wing Commander
13-09-2007, 14:01
One of the lads in our LGS managed to superglue his forehead to the modelling table...
Fell asleep mid gluing and awoke to find his head merged with the table :)

Bookwrak
13-09-2007, 15:05
I've been slowly scratch building a baneblade, and after reading this thread, I'm scared to death of doing any further work on it, because I have yet to seriously injure myself, but I look at that uncut plastic card, and my hobby knives, and those paint brushes, and i know fear.

Osbad
13-09-2007, 15:36
I haven't (touch wood) done much to myself other than minor injury. The most embarassing though was tipping a pot of superglue over and having it dribble onto my leg. Didn't spot it in time and by the time I did my thigh was soaked through. Taking my trousers off fortunately did not remove any skin, but did remove most of the hair from my upper thigh. Which did bring a tear to my eye and caused my wife to mock me to this day about being "too cheap to get a proper leg wax"... *rolls eyes*.

Apart from that about the worst I have done is regularly mix my cup of tea for my brush-cleaning water (and vice versa...)

Andyalloverdaplace
13-09-2007, 15:40
Hey, has anyone shown this to the OP's wife yet?

Amornar
13-09-2007, 16:25
Not something that happened to me, but I know someone who in all his genius decided it would be a good idea to cut a model on his leg. Needless to say he slipped and cut his leg.

Jedi152
13-09-2007, 16:40
Which did bring a tear to my eye and caused my wife to mock me to this day about being "too cheap to get a proper leg wax"... *rolls eyes*.
Classic! :D

Apart from that about the worst I have done is regularly mix my cup of tea for my brush-cleaning water (and vice versa...)
I think we've all been there. Tea is pretty much an essential when i paint.

Crube
13-09-2007, 16:45
Indeed, but more of a waste when its vodka... :cries:

Supremearchmarshal
13-09-2007, 16:49
I once accidentally managed to pour out almost an entire tube of super glue on a single infantry model...

Also I learned the the hard way you should NOT put a Hellcannon of Chaos near the edge of a shelf, especially if there's a squad of marines on the table below...

A friend of mine once forgot to open the window when spray-undercoating his models...

pookie
13-09-2007, 16:59
im loving this thread

to the OP - please please get your wife on here, you seriously aint a *****, stupid maybe ;) but aint we all! ME included!!!

Andyalloverdaplace
13-09-2007, 17:01
Or give her a set of rubber soled slippers and tell her to sit by the fire, and put her feet up...

Emperor's Grace
13-09-2007, 18:36
Tea is pretty much an essential when i paint.

Seconded.

Tea (Orange Spice (by Bigelow) or Red Rose) and a movie I've seen a hundred times (background humor without too much distraction).

Though I have yet to confuse my tea and water due to a strict tea on left/water on right rule.

Bookwrak
13-09-2007, 18:51
I just never put my paint water in drinking cups. It seems like the easiest solution.

Culven
13-09-2007, 19:05
I just never put my paint water in drinking cups. It seems like the easiest solution.
I have mine in bright yellow disposable cups. I never use those cups for beverages, so it is easy to avoid confusion. Of course, having them sitting on my paint try rather than next to it also helps be remember what is in them.

mistformsquirrel
13-09-2007, 19:22
I put my paint water in a mug, but my drinking tea in a 64oz 'bladder buster' cup.

Mixing those two up is QUITE hard! Plus I only have to get up for the occasional "OMG SHE'S GONNA BLOW" run to the bathroom >.>

Killmaimburn
13-09-2007, 19:34
Also I learned the the hard way you should NOT put a Hellcannon of Chaos near the edge of a shelf, especially if there's a squad of marines on the table below...Doesn't this take it away from the funny (self mutilation) and into the realms of real pain.. model loss.
A friend put the terrain back on a shelf for me (high shelves near ceiling), I didn't check. 2 days later a (12"square base pyramid,approx twice a monolith in size) came down. What was underneath 4ft foot underneath? ... i was working out how much nid stuff I had, you may note they are not in my sig. (casualties 20-ish genestealer sets of arms (some old some new),4 old plastic tyranids warriors ((from the scouts and nids plastics set of olde days)they were possibly the most fragile product line I ever held) a hybrid (and a guant had his tail shortned). I've never had the case malfunction of doom, but I've seen it happen.
But as I say If we carry on in this line we'll all be :cries::cries:ing, lets get back to eating soap.

Lavieth
13-09-2007, 20:37
teh worst I 've done was while helping my buddie put some marines together I was trimming the dried superglue off the top of the glue bottle with a hobby knife (carpet knife in my case). a litte bit went flyign and got into my eye. it wouldn't ahv ebene so bad but it still had a little bit of glue on it. after washign it outf or about 5 minutes I stil couldn't see straight for nearly 3 days. all this time my buddies took punning pot shots at my stupidity.

And here I was thinking I was the only one it happened too!

That was one of the most painful experiences I have ever encountered.

Supremearchmarshal
13-09-2007, 20:53
Doesn't this take it away from the funny (self mutilation) and into the realms of real pain.. model loss.
A friend put the terrain back on a shelf for me (high shelves near ceiling), I didn't check. 2 days later a (12"square base pyramid,approx twice a monolith in size) came down. What was underneath 4ft foot underneath? ... i was working out how much nid stuff I had, you may note they are not in my sig. (casualties 20-ish genestealer sets of arms (some old some new),4 old plastic tyranids warriors ((from the scouts and nids plastics set of olde days)they were possibly the most fragile product line I ever held) a hybrid (and a guant had his tail shortned). I've never had the case malfunction of doom, but I've seen it happen.
But as I say If we carry on in this line we'll all be :cries::cries:ing, lets get back to eating soap.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss:(
My incident was nowhere near as bad - nothing glue and a bit of green stuff couldn't fix. Must be the power armour.

Modern_Angel
13-09-2007, 21:39
lets see...

Spilled tubes of Glue over myself several times, usually superglue... also done the rub eye when tired but still have some glue on finger...

Managed to stick a scalpel into the *back* of my leg, was using it for some model cleaning, left it on my bed, promptly forgot about it, went out, fast forward 5 hrs later, came back, sat on bed and wondered what that stinging sensation in my leg was, stood up and looked to see said scalpel sticking out of my thigh, said a swearword, and pulled it out. :)

Cut a nice gash in my hand with a breadknife while cutting up Polystyrene, I just stuck a plaster on it, didn't bother with getting it checked out, it healed up eventually...

I did drop a freshly glued Chaos Dreadnought onto my bare foot once, was hobbling around for a few days afterwards...

TheEndIsHere
13-09-2007, 22:34
Lucky guys!: a part from gluing my foot to the ground at same time to hand over mouth...

This is the worst (2): Primering my whole army over my hot dog and thinking it had a weird taste... (you know you can get high on eating paint?)

Thankfully I've never mixed up my drink with dirty water. BUT i drank half of my chaos black... (it doesn't even LOOK like sprite...)

D-End

Triggerdog
13-09-2007, 23:44
I nail-gunned my hand to a shingle once when I was handing said shingle so a buddy.

we were putting together a shed in my backyard and I was stretching up to hand him a shingle for the roof and hand the nail gun in my other hand and I kept stretching but then I slipped and pulled the trigger on the nail gun and the nail went through my hand and bolted it to the ladder my buddy was on with the shingle in between.

It didnt hurt right off the bat mainly because I had to stand there looking at my hand and admiring what I had managed to do. After about five minutes the pain hit and we had to call an ambulance.

Venkh
14-09-2007, 01:27
I once slashed my wrist "suicide style" with a pyrex dish. I was scrubbiing it really hard and it snapped in half. My left hand came up fast and the broken edge cut quite deeply just off centre.

My other incident happened when i was working in Burger King. I dropped some metal tongs in a fry vat and in a reflex reaction grabbed them back out again. Needlessly to say, I worked the rest of the day with one hand in a tray of iced water.

jimbob
14-09-2007, 04:12
god this is embarrassing....

superglued my face to my table. yup. that's right. i was happily modelling my new knights of chaos. i spilt my superglue with a careless flick of my hand. before i could flip it up the right way, my flatmate chose his time to pull my chair out from beneath me. much pain ensued as my knees hit the floor, and my face smacked cheek first onto the worktop. then panic. i managed to peel my face off ever so slowly while my flatmate lay down the obligatory soapy water to loosen the stuffs grip on me. needless to say the A&E nurse was slightly shocked before she burst into laughter.

Chaplain Mortez
14-09-2007, 04:53
My story goes back a bit. It all has to do with my left thumb. For some reason, that one has always gotten the bulk of the trouble.

I once had starter fluid on my arm while preparing some outdoor dinner. I didn't realize this until my hand was on fire, particularly my thumb.

While cutting some rope, my pocket knife snapped shut and cut all the way through my thumb to the nail. Luckily, it missed the bone. But, it was so deep and I just sharpened the blade (making it a real clean cut), I didn't even feel the pain.

I set my hand on top of a lit propane lantern. I didn't realize that metal lid gets hot. I burned my thumb a second time. The skin was dead for the rest of the summer (so about one and a half to two months).

...those are the camping bits, but oh, yes, there's more!

I had finally gotten a hold of a hand-held vice drill. While tunneling into a metal model (High Elf I think?), the bit snapped in half and went right into my left thumb. Bought a titanium bit after I threw the replacement steel bit away.

Zip kicker. Boy, is that stuff ever fun! :D

While visiting some friends four hours north of me in another state (Washington), I was gluing together my old-school metal predator. Right as I was spraying, some runny glue went all the way down my left fore-arm. It burned. More than that time I lit myself on fire. I couldn't even look at zip kicker for two or three years (I just started using it again).

Oh, and just the other day, I sliced my left palm open on some shrapnel at work two inches wide. Don't need stitches like the original poster (lucky me).

...and I've fractured my left wrist when I was little while jumping off of a zip line.

Needless to say, the worst thing I've done to my right had is probably punched a guy with it (hurts for those of you who have never been in a fight. There's more bone in the cheek than you'd think).

Huh.

Maybe I just need my right hand for some things and take better care of it? :angel:

Kloud13
14-09-2007, 05:30

This one reminds me of my old boss. He was in our second shop, and he was welding on What I believed to be a 40 barrel tank. (I work Oilfield, and These tanks hold about 8 or 9 cubic metres of fluid, 1 cube is 1000 litres, yeah, I'm Canadien, so I'm Metric) And these tanks are used to hold just about any liquid that comes out of either an Oil Well, or a Natural Gas Well. Well, it seemed that this tank had not been properly purged prior to welding...... Meanwhile in the other shop, the walls suddenly rattled so hard, a large bolt bin, and a couple of shelving units fell over. We ran out side, and the siding off of two of the walls and part of the roof of the other shop were gone. The Strangest thing, was that our Boss, and another of of the guys were still standing in the middle of it, Eyes and mouths wide open, looking up, and not a mark on them.

Now I don't know if anybody has said anything about this yet,

But How Much Blood has been Drawn on the "Cities of Death" Terrain?

I know I got a few cuts and pricks from CoD. Not gushing, but it hurt.

PS- Tea is a must for Painting? hmmm, well it just so happens that today I was reading a little bit out of Douglas Adam's "Salmon of Doubt" and there was an Article in it by Adams, on how to properly enjoy tea. he had the very specific on how to brew it, and enjoy it, I'm actually looking forward to trying it.

Wing Commander
14-09-2007, 09:47
When I was younger I used to work with my Dads building firm, doing the general labouring to keep me busy in the summer. The worst accident I had was on a "simple" job where we were knocking through and old cupboard to create a new door into a kitchen. The house had belonged to an old fella who had died so everything was very stuck in a time warp, I drew the fun task of Sledge hammering the back of the cupboard out, on my first swing I went high as the cupboard was only about 4ft high, the reason the cupboard seemed so low (unbeknown to us) was that the old fella had wallpapered over the top shelf so many times that you couldn't see the old door and nobody knew that there was even a shelf there. The sledge hammer went straight through it almost taking my hand off, as I pulled back my middle finger had been split open to the bone all the way down and was a serious mess, that wasn't the best of it though - as the hammer came out is started raining bullets, very big bullets... there were around 100+ .303 rounds in the top cupboard, remnants from WWII that had been in there for decades and I'd just slapped a sledge hammer through the middle of them! Luckily we didn't set any off but I think that was due to luck more than anything else.

Osbad
14-09-2007, 11:58
Indeed, but more of a waste when its vodka... :cries:

Mind you, vodka's probably better at cleaning the brush ..!

Andyalloverdaplace
14-09-2007, 15:42
This one reminds me of my old boss. He was in our second shop, and he was welding on What I believed to be a 40 barrel tank. (I work Oilfield, and These tanks hold about 8 or 9 cubic metres of fluid, 1 cube is 1000 litres, yeah, I'm Canadien, so I'm Metric) And these tanks are used to hold just about any liquid that comes out of either an Oil Well, or a Natural Gas Well. Well, it seemed that this tank had not been properly purged prior to welding...... Meanwhile in the other shop, the walls suddenly rattled so hard, a large bolt bin, and a couple of shelving units fell over. We ran out side, and the siding off of two of the walls and part of the roof of the other shop were gone. The Strangest thing, was that our Boss, and another of of the guys were still standing in the middle of it, Eyes and mouths wide open, looking up, and not a mark on them.

Now I don't know if anybody has said anything about this yet,

But How Much Blood has been Drawn on the "Cities of Death" Terrain?

I know I got a few cuts and pricks from CoD. Not gushing, but it hurt.

PS- Tea is a must for Painting? hmmm, well it just so happens that today I was reading a little bit out of Douglas Adam's "Salmon of Doubt" and there was an Article in it by Adams, on how to properly enjoy tea. he had the very specific on how to brew it, and enjoy it, I'm actually looking forward to trying it.

OMG,
My firm also makes oilfield tanks. We had someone bring in an 86 bbl one (8 ft cube) they had dropped to get fixed. Our labourers filled the tank with water to purge any methanol left in it, but someone was smart enough to ask our safety coordinator if there was any chance some methanol had made it into the secondary containment (the tank is actually double walled, so one tank inside another). The safety boss loosened a small plug on the side and passed a torch over it.

Of the 12 seams on the outer tank, he managed to pop 3 of them with that trick, then he had to put the fire out, but the fire extinguishers (his responsibility) didn't work until he tried the 3rd one. He left for other opportunities before the week was over.

Good thing they remembered to purge the main tank first.

vampires are cool!
14-09-2007, 16:10
My friend managed to get a boltgun stuck in his eye if that helps...

Cap'n Facebeard
14-09-2007, 17:27
Once when sleep deprived come within 2cm of trying to rescue stuck toast from a switched on toaster with a knife. Was a real 'spare underpants' moment.

the old seer
14-09-2007, 22:10
I have a two inche scare on the base of my left foot from steping on a high elf, what's wost is it was one of the old style archers not even a spear man.Pointy helmets bad :D
On the superglue frunt I once had to walk to B&Q with the ral perther great red dragon(well most of the body tail and 3 of the legs) stuck to my hand. Good quolaty superglues a pain the cheap stuff comes off with out the releace and avoids the embassment

MutantMaggot
15-09-2007, 10:14
Superglue was actually invented to stick soldiers' guts and innards back in, so they could fight for a few more minutes. They'd die anyway, but at least they'd kill some more enemies!

icebergman
15-09-2007, 10:52
If you love the hobby then you're gonna bleed for it sooner or later....

Eothein
15-09-2007, 11:12
I've done some strange things like accidentally spilling superglue on the cat and I have a small blue stain underneath my thumb nail where a paint brush slipped under the nail which hut a lot.

But the worst has to be putting together a Mongoose Arachnid Warrior, I was slicing off a small knobbly bit on the abdomen with a Stanley knife, slicing away from myself for what felt like 15 minutes without even making a scratch. So I decided to try it by slicing towards myself because you can put more power in the knife that way and have better leverage, and we all know what happened, the first slice towards me cuts an inch and half gap into my index finger. So remember kids play it safe because as soon as you don’t you'll be finding yourself offering a small sacrifice to Khorne.

Adept
17-09-2007, 17:55
I once glued my teeth shut.

Some say it was the smartest thing I ever did.

MutantMaggot
17-09-2007, 18:15
How, Adept, just how?

Dervos
17-09-2007, 18:32
Not GW related but I was helping strip down and reorganize working parts on to some M1 rifles and you have to close the trigger mechanism a certain way which involves putting your hand in quite a degree of danger.

Hence I wasn't fast enough and got a nice part of the inside of my hand cut, it bled pretty good and it took forever to close up.

Another time at work I can't remeber what it was, but I think it was a small but uncannily sharp knife which sliced through my pinky finger prettyg good, That also took forever and my pinky was always so cold....

O and here the finale. My dad is checking the washing machine pipes in the wall ok? The ones that connect and let water go through them. Well as soon as he unattaches it the dang thing goes into the wall, and he decides the best way to get it out is to use a coat hanger. Well he pulls on it, slips, and hooks his eye lid with the metal hanger( kind you get at the dry cleaner's) he had to wear a eye patch for months ><

Norminator
17-09-2007, 22:27
I once glued my teeth shut.

Some say it was the smartest thing I ever did.

Managed to do it myself once. Great anecdote to share at times ;)

Be Afraid
17-09-2007, 22:53
lol, i once was trying too cut through a minotore's waist with a stanly knife, in end i slipped and slashed my own chest. it hurt. quite a bit ^^ i didnt bother with doctors, just put a few plasters on it, and some anti-septic day after. although apparently, if i had gone i would have had 10-12 stiches

my thumbs and index fingers are masses of scar tissue.

and it wasnt phisical pain, but pictre my face when i dropped a brand new pot of blue ink on parents cream carpet >.<

MadDogMike
22-09-2007, 00:49
As far as GW stuff has gone, I've only suffered the occasional nick while scraping mold lines off and the ever present glueing together of fingers (though never very severely since I go light on my glue as a rule). Not much worse than I've gotten working with hot solder and cutting glass for my stained glass hobby. Non-GW wise I have managed nasty burns from caustic aquious bromine in college chem class (never stand next to the lab klutz in line when the teacher makes a big deal about how dangerous something you're using today is; thank God I was smart enough to get my arm under cold water instantly) and a rather nasty puppy bite that required a tetanus shot, but that's about it.

My family on the other hand has all sorts of accident woes; I have a cousin (a chef no less) manage to completely put a knife through her left hand trying to cook something, and an uncle who broke his neck bodyboarding and apparently suffered some paralysis to his lungs, though the rest of him is fine. And my poor father has been taking beatings his whole life from various accidents. As a former scientist in chemistry he took one bad exposure to mercury when someone else's experiment blew and sent a cloud of the stuff out; no permanent damage but they had him peeing in a bucket for a while to ensure it came out. And his bones are apparently on the edge of osteoporosis oddly enough, so he's had a broken knee from a fall on our driveway and more recently spent almost a year recovering from stepping off a ladder wrong at my grandparents and shattering his right arm into seven fragments and breaking his right leg below the knee. Thank God I talked him into starting heavier exercise with me or he'd probably still not be OK. So I'm starting to wonder how long my luck's going to hold :D.

MutantMaggot
22-09-2007, 08:11
Everyone, avoid all of MadDogMike's family, and him. Though it appears to be hereditary, I believe there is minor chance it may be infectious. Just everyone, avoid MadDogMike! :D Sorry, MDM

Dervos, did your father's eye ever work properly after that? Did it heal fully?

Adept
22-09-2007, 17:08
How, Adept, just how?

Well, you know how a tube of superglue can get that build-up of dried glue around the end of the nozzle, which can block the tube?

I decided to remove that build-up by placing it between my teeth, and pulling on the tube. My plan worked, unfortunately as a result, I was squeezing on a tube of superglue with the nozzle pointed into my mouth...

Gaius_Baltar
23-09-2007, 03:54
Hmm.. Well I got a good 1/2 CM deep, 1 inc wide cut on my thumb while trying to convert a Land Raider.
It hurt like hell, bled like hell, and took a good 3 days to scab up (That's only because I left it unbandaged after it stoped bleeding so it would scab up faster)
I patched myself up, not needing to go to the hospital, though luckily my brother was there to hel;p me, since it woul've been rather hard to bandage it all up while shaking as much as I did, with blood pouring out of one hand.

I still have the scar which runs straight across my thumb.. And I must have screwed up a few nerves or something because I can't really scence heat that well with my thumb anymore.

forgotten hero
23-09-2007, 11:49
im sure every hobbyist has battle scars, i know i have, from little nicks of fingers to slicing my wrist.. i didn't think i was gonna die with blood gushing out my wrist... lol, turns out no real damage done, but it scared the life out of me!

-Rob

Ward.
23-09-2007, 12:36
I once spilled superglue onto my shirt during a routine conversion session for an homemade game.
Wouldn't matter except it got into a piercing, twenty seconds later there's blood running down my chest and it's still healing kinda strange.

TYRANOODLE
24-09-2007, 20:44
Nice.

Way to go putting people off modelling!

MutantMaggot
25-09-2007, 17:16
I won't even comment on the piercing, Ward.

Adept, did that help you discover the truth about how toxic superglue is?

mnbrit
25-09-2007, 21:50

i used to have a unit of those, my wife was cleaning up my studio one day ( something i have expressly asked her NEVER to do all the years we have been married) she moved the unit and its tray onto my chair while cleaning and accidentally left it there, i didn't realize it was there until it was too late and got what i can only describe as a goblin spear enema. it still hurts to think about it

JT-Y
26-09-2007, 07:09
A good few years ago I slipped with a pin vice and stabbed my finger.

Not the worst injury possible, but compounded by the bit going deep enough and hard enough to stick into the bone. Right into the bone.

It hurt like nothing has before or since (I could feel the pain all the way up to my ears), and pulling the damn thing out was unpleasant to say the least.

Regarding spears, my missus has a Macedonian army for WAB, complete with 10cm steel pikes.
So far she's been lucky, only a couple of jabs, but I do know of someone who had to visit A&E to have a pike phalanx surgicaly removed from his forearm, and I've heard of worse.

sergio.vo
05-08-2009, 00:40
I'm quite a ***** actually, and with a hugh amount of sharp stuff around me when I build...

The worst was a cut in my left hand while holding a cardboard kitchen-paper core to cut it in the air (I know, I know). As a result I had to woke up my brother kicking him in turns (cold water on my hand, new towel stained in blood, running to his bedroom and kicking him "Wake up! Wake up!". Running back to the bathroom and again, and again... My brother is not a light sleeper). After that, a taxi trip to the hospital with the towel and hand dropping as a rainforest from outside the taxi window, emergency sewing and a bunch of stitches.

Just after the cut I thought I had sectioned my tendoms because I didn't feel my fingers and couldn't move them, but a few minutes of bleeding and pain later I began to recover movement...

Still two hands indeed!!

Joewrightgm
05-08-2009, 01:09
I can claim a war wound from a Tie Fighter. I was hacking off one of the solar panels (cutting towards myself), and the blunt knife opened my left index finger from the first knuckle to the second.

I didn't feel anything, because I severed a bunch of nerves and I saw bone. I ran up stairs, leaving a snail trail of blood up the basement of stairs as I got my 1st aid trained brother to seal me up. My mom came home (I was about 13 at the time), picked me up, and 8 stitches later, I was back to normal.

Condottiere
05-08-2009, 02:43
I'd rather repress that memory.

Wolfguard Gnarl
05-08-2009, 03:12
worste thing I have done is jab my thumb with a pin vice also, it still amazes me how I was able to cuss up a storm while I was clenching my teeth! yeah it hurts as bad as all the other pin vice jabbers have been saying.

Messiahnide
05-08-2009, 05:17
Once I was supergluieng a mini after eating and realised there was some food stuck in my teeth, stuck my finger in my gob and glued it to my canine lol.
Another time I was cuttin the legs off an ork stormboy and stuck the stanley blade into my knee cap about a centimetre, that one hurt to pull out.

snurl
05-08-2009, 07:50
I have not managed to cut myself since I switched from x-acto style knives to the ones with the retractable snap off blades.

zedeyejoe
05-08-2009, 10:17
Accidents happen and pain is a deterrent. Think when you are using dangerous equipment and lets try and keep accidents down.

And watch out for resin folks, you may not be able to tell the damage it is doing to you until years later.

My worst accident: walking toward a forge to heat up a metal rod. As I walked toward it, another chap turned round from the forge with his red hot piece of metal and it slid into the palm of my hand. It took a long while but healed nicely.

Kriegfreak
05-08-2009, 10:22
Was cutting the arm off of a Space Marine with a bolter in his hand. The tip of the bolter blasted off, flew right into my eye and scratched it so badly I had to wear a patch for a few days and constantly put eye drops in it.

Sucked!

badgeraddict
05-08-2009, 10:52
I've set fire to my leg with GW Superglue before. It seems I spilled some without realising...landed on my jeans and started smoking. I did not even notice until my friend looked up and said 'Dude. Your legs on fire.' At which point I looked down and the glue had gotten through my jeans and started burning my leg. Very painful! Didn't help that I started patting the sparking glue onto my leg. /facepalm

Aside from that I am often stabbing myself with the craft knife, pin drill and models I'm working on.

Funny thing is, I cannot stand the sight of my own blood. Makes me want to feint! LOL

only joking...
05-08-2009, 10:59
Metal Uruk Hai sword covered in super glue in my eye. I was damn lucky not to be blinded...

Lord Malorne
05-08-2009, 11:01
Never had a memorable accident :p.

badgeraddict
05-08-2009, 11:03
Metal Uruk Hai sword covered in super glue in my eye. I was damn lucky not to be blinded...

Good gods...I think you should win '***** of the thread' award! ;)

*says he who set his leg on fire...:D

Earthbeard
05-08-2009, 14:05
I once sliced my thumb to the bone, while assembling a basilisk, nto sure how, but christ it hurt.

Other myriad injuries over the years, funniest is accidently gluing my index finger to my tab key, while modelling and pvp'ing :D

Atherakhia
05-08-2009, 14:21

Dude that is SO going in my sig

lijah_cuu
05-08-2009, 15:04
When I first got into the hobby I managed to superglue my finger to my eyelid....i now have a nice little scar where I ripped it away!

gunmonkey
05-08-2009, 15:48
Was cutting the arm off of a Space Marine with a bolter in his hand. The tip of the bolter blasted off, flew right into my eye and scratched it so badly I had to wear a patch for a few days and constantly put eye drops in it.

Sucked!

Just goes to show, even in 28mm scale, bolters are still vicious weapons!!

Billpete002
05-08-2009, 16:12
sliced my thumb open while cutting minis 2x - both times I've glued it shut with model glue - heals in 2 weeks.

screw stitches.

Flying Toaster
05-08-2009, 21:39
I'm quite a ***** actually, and with a hugh amount of sharp stuff around me when I build...

The worst was a cut in my left hand while holding a cardboard kitchen-paper core to cut it in the air (I know, I know). As a result I had to woke up my brother kicking him in turns (cold water on my hand, new towel stained in blood, running to his bedroom and kicking him "Wake up! Wake up!". Running back to the bathroom and again, and again... My brother is not a light sleeper). After that, a taxi trip to the hospital with the towel and hand dropping as a rainforest from outside the taxi window, emergency sewing and a bunch of stitches.

Just after the cut I thought I had sectioned my tendoms because I didn't feel my fingers and couldn't move them, but a few minutes of bleeding and pain later I began to recover movement...

Still two hands indeed!!

AHHHHHHH threadromancy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wallacer
05-08-2009, 23:47
i used to have a unit of those, my wife was cleaning up my studio one day ( something i have expressly asked her NEVER to do all the years we have been married) she moved the unit and its tray onto my chair while cleaning and accidentally left it there, i didn't realize it was there until it was too late and got what i can only describe as a goblin spear enema. it still hurts to think about it

A friend of mine did the exact same thing, except he impaled himself on one of the old Heresy Netherlords.

-=Lazuli=-
06-08-2009, 02:02
I did the same thing trying to remove an autocannon team off it's base. Got ten stitches :)

Check my log in sig, page 21 if you dare :)

only joking...
06-08-2009, 02:14
Good gods...I think you should win '***** of the thread' award! ;)

*says he who set his leg on fire...:D

I would happily take home the award but since you set your leg on fire... :D

Maybe not.

Chewbacacabra
06-08-2009, 07:53
I picked up the phone once and forgot I had a knife in my hand. I gesticulated and promptly buried the knife to the hilt in my side.
I pulled it out without even thinking, but man did that sucker bleed. It hurt for a long time afterwards too.

badgeraddict
06-08-2009, 09:57
I would happily take home the award but since you set your leg on fire... :D

Maybe not.

Sigged! :cool::D

MutantMaggot
06-08-2009, 17:08
Hah, I've still got a scar from attampting to do something to a bloodthirster's arm with a craft knife (can't remember what it was) a few years ago.

As for non-hobby-related injuries, though, I think my worst one has to be the one I suffered a few weeks ago - jumping out of a tree onto a nail or root or something in the ground which went an inch or two into my foot. It bleed a lot, and I nearly fainted from bloodloss ... :(

TheBigBadWolf
06-08-2009, 22:37
I did the same thing trying to remove an autocannon team off it's base. Got ten stitches :)

Just had a look at page 21, :eek: that is a cut and a half :D

Tzar Boris
07-08-2009, 00:03
Had a few, erm, scrapes in my time. Har de har.

Couple of stanley blades wedged in thumb bone - much blood spurtage! I mean, I like to think I'm a normal sensible person, but totally ignore the most basic of rules when using blades.
"Sealing" a freshly painted and flocked table with Ardcoat. Indoors. You know how you just know something is a bad idea before you do it. But then you do it anyway - it was like dry ice in a Whitesnake Video - and nearly killed about three of us, cos we were so busy laughing about the fogging effect we didn't notice the effect it was having on us. Like making us laugh about the fogging. Very good - I have nice shiny lungs though...

...but the best, by far, has got to be the sculpting blade through the door.

I know GW staffers at the best of times don't get a lot of respect, but here I am, owning up to it. We were bored. It was a very quiet wednesday, no-one had been in all day, and we very bored. We had played a couple of games of 40k, painted up some models, finished doing all the usual stuff when we started playing "sculpting tool darts" - where you flick the tool at a foam gaming table and make it stick like a proper throwing knife. Which is fun. If you're bored. And have killed half your brain cells by spraying Ardcoat indoors. Soon it progressed to hitting the knight in the middle of the old WFB box with the sculpting tool. Which is trickier, and probably indicative of the boredom we were facing. You can see the pattern emerging. After hitting that smug get a couple of times, we played "pass the sculpting tool" - which was much like the darts variant, but with each player standing either end of a six foot foam table, and trying to get it as close to the opponent without impaling them. Okay, all's fairly Beavis and Butthead so far. I decide I'd had enough, and went to wash up the days painting gear through the back, at the same time, my colleague "jokingly" flings the tool at me as I close the door.

Miraculously, the Sculpting tool fails to hit the door, and enters the rear hall through the closing gap of door and frame. As the door slams, I emit a high pitched "Ayah-fashan-mu-ba-fugga!" - and notice the sculpting tool buried in my foot up to the end of the blade end. Now ladies and gents, I urge to go and measure that blade now, and you will find that that is at least one whole inch long. In my foot.

Have you ever seen a geyser? Well imagine a red one as I remove said sculpting tool and proceed to pour blood all over the place.

So kids, don't play with sculpting tools, or anything else sharp. And those warnings are there on spray cans for a reason. I do these things so you don't have to.

BTW, Super glue was invented as a skin bonder - so, if you ever run out of Band-Aids...

P.S. If you ever bought anything from GW that has a variety of interesting holes through the front of the boxes, you know that the staff have been very bored, and if they invite you for a game of something, ask politely what game they had in mind...

P.P.S - I no longer work for GW, mores the pity. I don't know, where i work now they look at me funny if I suggest one of my repertoire of "Specialist Games" for a time killer.

P.P.P.S - This post has been edited slightly for comic effect. However, the injuries were real, and the hazards involved are not comical. I am a professional, and also currently (as well as my other duties) hold the role as Health and Safety officer at my workplace - I always make sure everyone understands that they have a responsibility to themselves and others in the workplace. We understood the risks involved, and blame a slight defect of mental acuity, and possibly too much Gotrek running his thumb down the blade.

unheilig
07-08-2009, 00:15
i have sliced my thumb open with an exacto so many times it no longer bleeds.

its pretty weird.

Cpt Rudder
07-08-2009, 00:16
I've set fire to my leg with GW Superglue before. It seems I spilled some without realising...landed on my jeans and started smoking. I did not even notice until my friend looked up and said 'Dude. Your legs on fire.' At which point I looked down and the glue had gotten through my jeans and started burning my leg. Very painful! Didn't help that I started patting the sparking glue onto my leg. /facepalm

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213027
I mentioned just that very phenomenon on that thread but I'm quite sure nobody believed me! Obviously an issue of superglue on porous materials.

Bubbatron
07-08-2009, 00:21
the worst i have done is slice my finger open and just miss the tendon by millimeters, but one of my really close friends managed to superglue his eyelid to the bit above your eye just below the eyebrow ! hes also superglued his teeth together opening some glue with his mouth, we always used to laugh and point at him when the old discovery channel ad of the people with airplanes and battleships stuck to them came on the tv !

Clone-Trooper
07-08-2009, 05:30
Using a power drill to get some hold in pins for my entire karskin force (contains 35 guys) i drilled through my hand.

alex03
07-08-2009, 06:18
I think everyone who puts together mini's has cut themselves with a modeling knife at some point. Just a couple weeks ago I did the knife slip while shaving some plastic piece, hmmm did I hit the finger I dont feel any pain, oh yep theres that line of blood.

I'd also like to add that the old old metal dark elf spearmen were just as nasty as the gobins. I've gotten them stuck into my hand once or twice.

Napalm
07-08-2009, 11:00
Please guys I can't be the only ***** out there; and this is one record I don't want to keep.

Well, I was working on this cathedral:

http://uppix.net/c/8/8/e3934d2a3f8f206c39ad8dba21034tt.jpg (http://uppix.net/c/8/8/e3934d2a3f8f206c39ad8dba21034.html)

Cutting a big piece with a modeling knife instead of a saw, and I just manage to get the whole blade in my leg. Not painful, but when I removed the blade, lots of blood. It was a sunday evening, had to go to hospital to get some stitches too... Not long but deep cut.

Since, I've bought a modeling saw :rolleyes:

Satan
07-08-2009, 11:04
Funny. Looking at them now I see all sorts of small scars on my fingertips. IIRC the tissue there heals rather well though, doesn't it?

I do suspect however that by playing around with all kinds of glues, sprays and acid chemicals whilst engaged in this hobby has impaired my sense of smell somewhat. I sometimes don't react to smells at all, or they appear much weaker than it would seem from other people's reaction.

Poseidal
07-08-2009, 11:11
When drilling a model for pinning, once I wasn't paying attention and drilled straight through the model into my finger. With an electric drill.

pringles978
07-08-2009, 12:24
spent three days stripping a chaos dwarf army in nitro mors, then three weeks for the chemical burns to heal. didnt even feel them while it was burning...

eltanko
08-08-2009, 07:19
I have a read doozy. took out of our freezer what I believed to be a icelolly, turns out it was some metal thingy which the other half uses to numb her leg before waxing. Now wet tongue and freezing metal makes a pretty strong bond, and in a panic I just pulled it!
Result: chunk of tongue missing, LOTS of blood, and unable to talk eat or drink properly for a fair while after. And when you work in a comms centre, and spend all day talking to people, its kind of embarrassing!!!
Oh, and it was the most painful thing ever!

ElTanko

chromedog
08-08-2009, 07:51
All I've seen so far points to the mantra of "the right tool for the right job, please."

That and many people seem to be 'right tools'.

I've had an x-acto roll off my desk and impale itself 30mm into my instep (bandaid).
I've had an x-acto slip and scratch my palm (not even through the epidermis).
I've scored my thumb pad with an x-acto so many times I've lost count, and my thumb is a mass of scar tissue with bugger-all feeling (however, a work injury where I bisected my radial nerve at my thumb is responsible for that.).

For cutting thick stuff, I use a saw.
For cutting metal, I use clippers or a saw (or a dremel, depending on case).

static grass
08-08-2009, 08:46
I have a read doozy. took out of our freezer what I believed to be a icelolly, turns out it was some metal thingy which the other half uses to numb her leg before waxing. Now wet tongue and freezing metal makes a pretty strong bond, and in a panic I just pulled it!

"Hey cool a metallic coloured ice lolly"!
*reaches in*
"Wow a really heavy metallic coloured ice lolly"!
* inserts into mouth"
"WTF!?!?!!1!!"
*yank.... bleed bleed*

:angel:

eltanko
08-08-2009, 09:00
"Hey cool a metallic coloured ice lolly"!
*reaches in*
"Wow a really heavy metallic coloured ice lolly"!
* inserts into mouth"
"WTF!?!?!!1!!"
*yank.... bleed bleed*

:angel:

That just about sums it up :)
and would you believe im NOT naturally blonde!!

ElTanko

static grass
08-08-2009, 10:44
well next time you free something to your tongue use cool or tepid water to get it off. :D

I understand it can be quite painful to have something frozen your tongue (it is basically the same pain as burning) so freaking out when it happens is understandable :)

I hope you sound like you have a normal IQ when you talk :)

bringerofdecay
08-08-2009, 18:04
I mentioned just that very phenomenon on that thread but I'm quite sure nobody believed me! Obviously an issue of superglue on porous materials.

did the same to my hoody, completely wrecked the whole sleeve and it smoked like crazy, the fumes were horrible.

Grapeshot
08-08-2009, 18:31
Perhaps it is time for GW to offer some kind of sturdy hand protection in their Citadel Tools range...

alex03
09-08-2009, 06:42
Perhaps it is time for GW to offer some kind of sturdy hand protection in their Citadel Tools range...

Yes, but it would end up having an ultramarines symbol on it, and then all the xeno's fanboys would be up in arms. :p

Ekranoplan
09-08-2009, 16:43

Your actions aren't that moronic, peopel always slice their hands open with hobby knives. Of course, "you are moronic to an average degree" is not as fun or funny of an insult. :)

Grapeshot
09-08-2009, 17:05
Perhaps the real question should be for those who have been in the hobby for sometime, who has not yet cut his finger with hobby knife?

aekold666
11-08-2009, 08:23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superglue#Reaction_with_cotton

Here is the answer.

howlinmonkey
13-08-2009, 08:36
I've had some great blood effects while tidying up figures with
the trusty scalpel,pity the models were not painted at the time.
Pin viceing my fingers is another favourite pastime also.
Super glue:probably the most irritating chemical in the world!
In no particular order: not realising I had glue on my fingers
and cleaning metal filings away with said digits,it took days
to get rid off, kitchen roll glued to the fingers, discovering
that using super glue that I'd had for a while was not a good
idea!Smells really strong gave me a headache for hours afterwards
and felt sick for the rest of the day.

I also discovered it is possible to start a fire using varnish
and superglue!

Cpt Rudder
13-08-2009, 19:01
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superglue#Reaction_with_cotton

Here is the answer.

Excellent, thanks mate! I've had it heat up on me as well when I used it to stick two sheets of plasticard together. Obviously a better warning lable might be in order.

warhammergrimace
14-08-2009, 11:42
I've not managed to injure myself whislt modeling or gaming, though I ahve on many other occasions. One of the dumbest was years ago I was trying to prise two frozen pies apart, holding the pies in one hand and using a very large kitchen knife in the other.

Whilst I was doing this the other half said, "You'll stab yourself in the hand, if you're not careful". My reply was to shake my head and say don't be daft, I'm perfectly safe".

At which point the knife shot between the two pies and straight into my hand, LOL. I should have paid more attention to the wise words of the wife.

Cpt Rudder
14-08-2009, 14:57
I managed to saw through to the bone on the side of the knuckle on my left index finger while attempting to cut a frozen breakfast muffin in half. It required stitches and eventually got infected. Funny thing thjough, while I was bleeding I toasted and ate that muffin!

Modelling, other than the exploding tissue issue (see what I did?) I've only had knife issues. I use a stanley 10-598 knife(http://www.cglass.co.uk/stanley-10-598-folding-pocket-knife-pr-18236.html) and it's small but heavy, you can get control with it but I'm a bit off a butter fingers and drop it all the time. One time it ended up going through my shoe and was sticking out my foot.

Joewrightgm
14-08-2009, 17:07
I've had some great blood effects while tidying up figures with
the trusty scalpel,pity the models were not painted at the time.
Pin viceing my fingers is another favourite pastime also.
Super glue:probably the most irritating chemical in the world!
In no particular order: not realising I had glue on my fingers
and cleaning metal filings away with said digits,it took days
to get rid off, kitchen roll glued to the fingers, discovering
that using super glue that I'd had for a while was not a good
idea!Smells really strong gave me a headache for hours afterwards
and felt sick for the rest of the day.

I also discovered it is possible to start a fire using varnish
and superglue!

Though, oddly enough, berserker models and models with the Mark of Khorne rarely miss in combat once anointed with blood . . .

FluidSpace
16-08-2009, 02:36
I heard about a guy at the GW that i go to who put this head on the table to get a better look at the model. Well thats where his head stayed until they came with a saw and cut a part of the table off with his head still stuck to it...

Bookwrak
16-08-2009, 05:56
No, that was an episode of Home Improvement. :D

snottlebocket
16-08-2009, 09:19
No major cuts but a combination of late night army basing, superglue and an itchy nose did cause me to flock my upperlip once.

badgeraddict
16-08-2009, 18:52

Yeah I reckon so. I went to GW Canterbury a few days after and told them of my incident; they were miffed that such a thing could happen with GW Superglue. I wore the same jeans as evidence. Afterwards we had a good laugh about it.

Thud
16-08-2009, 19:19
Not GW related, but...

I once went to get a marshmellow off the bbq and ended up with five stitches and a split kneecap.

C-Coen
16-08-2009, 19:27
Ah, the famous 4th edition goblins...
Heard a lot of stories about them, but don't have a clue how they look like.
Are they like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARHAMMER-ORCS-GOBLINS-23-x-Vintage-GOBLIN-SPEARMEN_W0QQitemZ220464815952QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item3354ba1f50&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ?

pookie
18-08-2009, 15:06
Ah, the famous 4th edition goblins...
Heard a lot of stories about them, but don't have a clue how they look like.
Are they like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WARHAMMER-ORCS-GOBLINS-23-x-Vintage-GOBLIN-SPEARMEN_W0QQitemZ220464815952QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item3354ba1f50&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ?

aye thats them. Spikier than a Rabid Hedgehog Orgy! :evilgrin:

Graf of Orlock
19-08-2009, 09:13
When I was 14, my brother and I were playing a 40K game on the living room floor once, and I had bare feet like I usually did back then. Someone knocked on the door and I got up, failed to look where my feet were going and I ended up with one of my lead Goff Nobs (the one with the helm with the spike on the top) stuck in my heel. Of course, there was a cry of "AARRGGH! I've trod on my nob!" which scared off the Jehovas Witness and led to many years of mickey taking, and rightly so!

Scion of Ferrus
24-08-2009, 23:20

How? Your Log is only 20 Pages long.

Have to say I've only cut myself a few times and super-glue incidents minor as I exercise my common sense.
Non-GW: I stepped on a D4 with no socks on, now That Hurts!:D

Captain Micha
25-08-2009, 01:31
Supergluing my Wraith to my kitchen table.

I'm just glad I was able to get them off.

Other gems include, my Suicidal Guardsmen, who during a game of 40k were apparently jealous of the other guard minis I had taken out to use for that game. Next thing I know I hear a box move and then a sound akin to breaking glass, and a feeling as if I'd been punched in the gut. Turned around and saw to my horror.guardsmen broken everywhere.

Not being in a well ventilated area while gluing and painting minis. I got a headache that lasted for three days, and the smell stayed in my sinuses for a week.

stabbing my toolbox with a razor blade as I was removing mini from sprue...

Kronos
25-08-2009, 02:34
glued my tongue to my lip today... was only for a few seconds but still painful to pull it off.

also put half the blade of a stanley knife in my thumb hacking up a lotr orc long ago, no scar amd healed quickly because it was such a thin cut, deep, but thin (thats when i believed the saying paper cuts are the worst pain is a lie.

jabbed some night goblin spears in my hand removing then from the sprue.

and currently i have no senstaion on my fingers because they are covered in dry super glue.

but thankfully no major accidents yet with the hobby...

FLUEVOG
25-08-2009, 02:46
I've spilled a whole bottle of Zip Kicker on my crotch.
Luckily the glue didn't follow or else I'd have a permanent tuck-under!

SatanikHeaven
25-08-2009, 09:59
Super gluing your fingers is part of hobby life and it doesnt bother me so much, however on one occasion i glued two fingers together really well, no matter what i couldnt get them apart. In the end i just starting trying to cut the glue with a stanley knife, i wasnt sure if i was cutting my skin or the glue while doing it, made me feel sick as hell :|

Horus38
31-08-2009, 05:28
My cousin nailed his hand to the table with a hobby knife. How's that?

Yeah, he just dropped the knife, it went straight through his finger and into the table.

Wtf!? How high up was this knife suspended when he dropped it? And how big was the knife?!

No horror stories personally, only the usually cuts and glue incidents :cries:

CasperTheGhost
31-08-2009, 13:45
I've not managed to injure myself whislt modeling or gaming, though I ahve on many other occasions. One of the dumbest was years ago I was trying to prise two frozen pies apart, holding the pies in one hand and using a very large kitchen knife in the other.

Whilst I was doing this the other half said, "You'll stab yourself in the hand, if you're not careful". My reply was to shake my head and say don't be daft, I'm perfectly safe".

At which point the knife shot between the two pies and straight into my hand, LOL. I should have paid more attention to the wise words of the wife.

To be honest it seems to me as if you knifed yourself because your wife distracted you and so you weren't watching what you were doing :p

Not GW related, but...

I once went to get a marshmellow off the bbq and ended up with five stitches and a split kneecap.

:eyebrows: I have to ask how. Did it per chance involve tripping over?

And I don't think I've ever hurt myself doing the hobby, although I have dislocated my arm when I grabbed a branch one handed as I feel from a tree. To be fair I've never many serious injuries (I had a metal object hit me in the head if that counts) and *touch wood* most likely won't. I do however randomly gain bruises and cuts, while never noticing when or how I got them.

If you want accident horror stories you need to talk to my brother.

simonr1978
31-08-2009, 21:19
Again, not a GW related one, but a co-worker is completely accident prone, his best effort so far has been electrocuting himself trying to install an oven and cutting his own finger off at the first knuckle in the same week.

TheDarkDaff
01-09-2009, 13:14
My greatest hobby injury has to be breaking my foot while trying to cut something metal (i really don't remember what it was). Had it on the table and was cutting down and away from myself like a good boy. Decided to "use my wieght" to get through a bit quicker so lifted my feet of the floor to push down through the knife. Table then proceeds to break and land on my foot as i fall in a screaming heap.

To go out of the hobby i expand to my whole family. My older Brother fell out of a tree and broke his arm. The broken arm got caught in a branch and he was dangling from the tree by it until Dad ran over and had to lift him up to unhook his arm (he has broken both arms at least twice). Both my older brother and i have cracked vertibrae in our necks and the litle bro recently fractured his skull (all playing Rugby League).

But the most traumatising injury i have ever suffered happen playing Rugby League against a Maori Girls team when i was 14. This beast of a girl headbutted me (breaking my nose) which knocked me on my backside. She then proceeded to stomp on my man bits with steel studs and managed to break the bit of connecting tissue. I crawled off the field and lay there until the trainer came to see what was wrong. For some reason my Dad came around the field and found it incredibly funny.

poi_gal
02-09-2009, 22:39
well, let see, your wife was wrong in the sense that your the biggest ***** for doing this...my husband is! lol he did exactly the same thing but ended up with 10 stitches, blood over my carpet his jumper, my jumper and a few other places. after a trip to the hospital he came home with stery stripes rather than stitches much to my disbelief, 10 days later during his dressings being changed and me still moaning a trip to a bigger hospital was called for after the doctor said he should of had proper stitches to begin with and may now have to have plastic surgery. over an hour later we got to the better hospital...in a different county.over four hours later he finally came home with 10 stitches and two weeks later luckily without plastic surgery it had healed nicely into a scar.

ard boy stu
03-09-2009, 16:33
once a while ago now i got super glue on my hand and stuck my hands together and my brother had to seperate them with hot warter and then my brother left and i tried turning the hot warter tap of and my hand stuck to it :P

Hakkeshu
04-09-2009, 08:49
When I got back into the hobby back in 07 I would use the dining table to do my modeling on since we actually dont use it to eat on. One day my mom took off the table cloth to put a new one on and discovered all the little knicks from the hobby knife, woops! I bought a plastic table from Costco and use that now for my modeling needs :)

burad
05-09-2009, 03:31
I was gluing two things together with super glue, one of which had a pointy end on it. Slipped briefly and stuck the superglue-coated pointy end into my finger. Didn't think anything of it until over the next two days i watched the veins in my arm slowly turning green higher and higher up.
Fortunately it went away after that, or I would have gone to the ER.
Cyanide poisoning, you know.

EffCee
05-09-2009, 18:21
I cut into my thumb about 5 years back, still get some numbness if doing anything fiddly like turning a key, thankfully it was my left hand so it doesn't happen often.
Dripped superglue onto my jeans, which then started smoking causing a burn on my leg, that was about 10 years ago, still have the scar.
Stood on the old Felix Jaegar model causing the sword - runes included - to slide into the base of my foot, leaving some of the paint in there (and possibly some lead), and many, many more!

Oh yeah and numerous instances of bits of metal flying into my eye whilst trimming, it's like they have some sort of target lock.

Grimm Toof
07-09-2009, 04:58
Pin vice drill slipped and went to the bone in the center of my palm. That sucked. Bad. Coincidentally it was also in effort to make an orksy battle wagon out of a land raider. I guess it worked out ok because its a damn cool BW, and since i havent painted it yet its literally caked in my own blood. I think of it as a conversational starter.:p

mr.kislev
11-09-2009, 12:58
khorne must love you guys

Hypaspist
18-10-2009, 12:53
News just in, at 10:15am today I managed to achieve what can only be described as new levels in idiocy....

I was about to start assembling Azrael, the Pin drill was stood up on the desk, see the picture for what happened next....

Operation to remove it is tomorrow!

EDIT: Took the Surgeon a 2.5 Inch Incision, 30 minutes, and 7 Stitches to rectify my cack-handedness.
Lesson learned!

Aaaannnd Closure!