PDA

View Full Version : Casting on "any" unit on the table

ebonicmaser
12-09-2007, 15:06
Lets take the Foot of Gork for an example

The spells reads that this may be cast on any unit on the table. Does this truly mean ANY unit, even into close combat?

Horn
12-09-2007, 15:22
"Wizards cannot cast spells at units engaged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise."

The spell's description doesn't specify otherwise, so no.

theunwantedbeing
12-09-2007, 15:31
It states any unit right?
Then it means "any" unit.

Several spells are stated to be cast onto any unengaged unit,as opposed to just any unit.

So yes,you may cast it onto a unit in close combat if you wish.

Horn
12-09-2007, 15:42
On the very next page, for Fists of Gork, the spell's description says that it can be cast on "any single enemy unit, even if it is in close combat". It'll take me a while to look for all the other spells that can be cast on 'any unit' for comparison, but I'd say that Fists of Gork qualifies as 'specifying otherwise' while Foot of Gork doesn't.

explorator
12-09-2007, 15:46
"Wizards cannot cast spells at units engaged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise."

The spell's description doesn't specify otherwise, so no.

This is correct. The use of 'any' in the FoG spell description does not trump all other rules.

Festus
12-09-2007, 16:05
Hi

Yes, any is any eligible unit. A unit in close combat is not a legal target of a spell unless said otherwise.

Neither can you cast such spells on units not on the table :eyebrows:

Festus

Urgat
12-09-2007, 17:13
Can you cast it on lone characters, btw, since they're supposed to be considered as units now?

gerrymander61
12-09-2007, 17:47
Can you cast it on lone characters, btw, since they're supposed to be considered as units now?

Yes, you may. Have fun.

It states any unit right?
Then it means "any" unit.

Several spells are stated to be cast onto any unengaged unit,as opposed to just any unit.

So yes,you may cast it onto a unit in close combat if you wish.

Sheesh. Peoples need to stop being so literal. When I play with friends, we're big fans of 'the spirit of the rule' and I'm pretty sure, that would be against it. Skaven are the only race meant to be able to hurl death into combat with reckless abandon, and any other race trying to do so goes against the spirit of the rule. No, I'm not just saying this because I play Skaven, I just think people need to be less silly. Like this guy I played with at the local hobby store who fielded a Liche High Priest and Settra in the same army because 'the rules say that any army that includes Settra cannot include any Liche Priests, there's nothing about any High Priests.'

*Shakes head*

theunwantedbeing
12-09-2007, 18:02
Yes....I need to stop thinking that any means any.

Makes you wonder why they bother adding words like unengaged onto the back of any on some spells really doesnt it?(well it does to me....)

Seeing as if any means,"any that isnt in combat" its not needed.

EvC
12-09-2007, 18:37
It gets really confusing with magic and shooting that use wording like "ignoring all restrictions", like a Pageant of Shrikes... okay it doesn't say they can specifically shoot into combat but it says they don't have the usual restrictions...

Guillius
18-09-2007, 18:17
Hmmm, I believe this to be rather simple. Unless the spell says into combat you can't cast it into combat. There are spells that specify into combat. Why would they do that if there was also "any" category spells that did the same? *shrugs*

theunwantedbeing
18-09-2007, 18:24
Guillius that argument works both ways though.

Seeing as there are spells that specify any unengaged unit.Why would they do that if there was also "any" category spells that did the same?
*shrugs*

See works both ways.

Atrahasis
18-09-2007, 18:30
"Any" is not specific, it's about as general as you can get - and the rules require specific permission to cast into combat.

Corrupt
18-09-2007, 19:16
Can one fry ones own units with an "any" target spell?
I know it aint that smart for HE or people, but for skaven or goblins to panic their own troops to avoid a deadly charge on the generals unit or somthing could be useful and quite fluffy

Festus
18-09-2007, 19:30
No, you cannot. You may not deliberately target your own units. Only enemies. Apart from Skaven, you may not even undeliberately target your own units. :)

Festus

theunwantedbeing
18-09-2007, 19:34
Care to back that up with a page reference festus?
(although I know everyone will belive you,it helps to actually prove things)

Atrahasis
18-09-2007, 19:47
I don't think there is one - most (damage/negative) spells specify "any enemy unit" though.

Festus
18-09-2007, 19:51
Hi

Well, p.25 tells us that targets for shooting attacks are enemy units, p.32 does the same for close combat, and with spells, they always explicitly say which are eligible targets, friendly or enemy units (or both in rare cases).

edit: Magicv Missiles have to declare targets like shooting, as detailed on p.110, so we are back to p.25 again :)

Festus