PDA

View Full Version : What is a Conscript?

Inquisitor Castleman
12-09-2007, 16:27
So what is a Conscript? Is he/she a trainee IG? Or is he/she just someone they chain-ganged into service to act a s a meat-shield for the more experience, more valuable footsloggers to the back?

I want as much info on this you can give please. Ages? How and why they become Conscripts? If its a doctrine, why doesn't some planets use them? etc..etc...
Cheers.

Quentin
12-09-2007, 16:34
It depends on the regiment. On Cadia and other fortress worlds where everyone is a soldier to some degree, "conscripts" are in fact the inexperienced Cadian Youth Army, or Whiteshields.

I'd imagine some regiments might ad hoc press-gang imperial citizens, giving them nothing but a Lasgun, helmet, maybe some flak armor and being told (not taught) to fire at whatever is attacking.

Crube
12-09-2007, 16:35
I've always envisaged them as almost a citizen militia, hastily press ganged in to service, given a las gun and told which end to hold....

Leftenant Gashrog
12-09-2007, 16:55
the 'Conscript' tabletop unit represents poorly (if at all) trained cannon-fodder units, it doesnt necissarily represent actual conscripts ~ it could just as easily represent volunteers who are thrown into the heat of battle without proper training out of necessity, whilst regular IG units can be fluffed out as being conscripts (the Vostroyan Firstborn regiments for instance are conscripts to a man, yet are well trained before seeing actual combat)

Adra
12-09-2007, 16:57
They are the closest thing in 40k to...well...us

Kage2020
12-09-2007, 17:08
For me? They are something that is conscripted. Erm, the nature of the conscription is the significant thing, not the fact that the term is used in various parts of GW canon. ;)

Kage

chaos_core
12-09-2007, 17:10
Conscription is a general term for involuntary labor demanded by some established authority, but it is most often used in the specific sense of government policies that require citizens (often just males) to serve in their armed forces. It is known by various names for example, the most recent conscription program in the United States was known colloquially as "the draft". Many nations do not maintain conscription forces, instead relying on a volunteer or professional military most of the time, although many of these countries still reserve the possibility of conscription for wartime and "crises" of supply.

"Conscription" has also sometimes been used as a general term for non-military involuntary labour demanded by some established authority; for example, some translators of Old Testament commentaries use the term to describe the levies of labour used to build the Temple of Solomon. In Japan during World War II, Japanese women and children were conscripted to work in factories.

Referring to forced service in the armed forces, the term "conscription" has two main meanings:

* forced service, usually of young men of a given age, e.g. 17 18, for a set period of time, commonly 1 2 years. In the United Kingdom and Singapore this was commonly known as "national service"; in New Zealand, at first compulsory military training and later national service; in Norway, Safeguard Duty / 1st time service.
* forced service, for an indefinite period of time, in the context of a widespread mobilisation of forces for fighting war, including on the home territory, usually imposed on men in a much wider age group (e.g. 18 45). (In the United Kingdom this was commonly known as "call-up").

Sojourner
12-09-2007, 17:28
Conscripts could, in principle, also represent Reservists, if you think about it. As an example, supposedly every German male who's done their national service is also on paper a reserved soldier who can be called up in a time of war. That doesn't mean they're going to be any good after years as a civvie.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Germans...

The Emperor's Faithfull
12-09-2007, 22:02
The conscripts for the IG would come from whatever world they are fighting on. Cadia uses conscripts because they are constantly attacked. Conscripts wouldn't travel with the IG...most likely they would be disbanded after whatever war on a world is over...assuming some survived. Whether or not they are voluntary....most likely not. People would only be conscripted if the Guard on whatever world is hurting for people and they need more troops while waiting for reinforcements to arrive.

Outlaw289
13-09-2007, 03:24
Correct me if I'm wrong, Germans...

I read that as a threat for some reason :p

bertcom1
13-09-2007, 19:04
Conscripts are soldiers.
Guardsmen are infantry.

MrBigMr
13-09-2007, 19:31
I'm a conscript.

Lord_Crull
13-09-2007, 19:52
I'm a conscript.

It must suck then to have BS 2 then.:p

Kage2020
13-09-2007, 20:15
Must... resist...

No, MrBigMr has a much higher BS value than 2. ;)

(I don't really mean it, but I really couldn't resist! :D)

Kage

Sojourner
13-09-2007, 20:20
Kage wins the thread.

MrBigMr
13-09-2007, 20:21
Aren't all Cadians conscripts (BS3 and Sharpshooters). They're requiered to do military service, right? Thus they're all conscripts by fluff. By TT conscripts are White Shields.

And don't get too exited, I have Scout and Infiltrate USR, BS3 (I was a good shot, as were many of us, we're not your average grunts) and can be equiped with Meltabombs for 5pts. and a Demo Charge for 10pts. And I have a medi-pack. Almost forgot that.

Luthien
13-09-2007, 20:33
Aren't all Cadians conscripts (BS3 and Sharpshooters). They're requiered to do military service, right? Thus they're all conscripts by fluff. By TT conscripts are White Shields.

And don't get too exited, I have Scout and Infiltrate USR, BS3 (I was a good shot, as were many of us, we're not your average grunts) and can be equiped with Meltabombs for 5pts. and a Demo Charge for 10pts. And I have a medi-pack. Almost forgot that.

And all for 25 points, great value

Kage2020
13-09-2007, 20:34
Kage wins the thread.
It just so takes the wind out of your sails when they don't even respond to it, though. :cries:

Kage