PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Terran history, brodcast LIVE (38,000 years ago)

Cadian 122nd
12-09-2007, 23:11
Alright 40k buffs, we all know ancient earth history is sort of a murky subject. But wrap your heads around this. What if, lets say a research station (Imperial for arguments sake) was set up roughly 38,000 light years away from Terra. And this station is specificly tasked with monitoring comunications in its sector (radio, vox, pict, etc.) If it were to turn its listening devices towards terra, if im correct (and im no astro physisit) it would hear AC/DC, Rush Limbaugh, etc. on AM and FM frequneceis. And see CNN and The History channel on UHF and VHF frequencies. So in theory these signals could be picked up accidentily while listing for rebel comms in the sector.

Arguments against this that poped into my head that could further the discussion:
1. Would the signal degrade over such distance and be undecypherable?
2. Imperials cant understand English, etc. (Perhaps it could be translated)
3. Techno Heresy - An imperial citizen wouldnt dare report strange messages coming from Terra's direction
4. Imperials use more advanced pict/vox frequencies that surpass AM/FM/UHF/VHF

Now provided all the above questions dont interfere with the ablity to receve the transmissions, could someone know alot about ancient earth by just listeing in on us?

El_Machinae
12-09-2007, 23:44
You'd need a huge freaking dish, I think.

It's been awhile since I checked, but I think our current SETI system could only "hear" modern-day Earth about 40 light years away. In other words, if we set up SETI on a planet 40ly away from Earth, they could barely hear us now.

With the signal dilution of 38,000 ly, you'd need a massive system to detect any deciferable signal.

Of course, 40k is ALL about huge projects!

dr.oetk3r
12-09-2007, 23:48
I bet many a psyker has gone mad listening to the mutterings of Rush Limbaugh.

:D

carlisimo
13-09-2007, 00:08
Yeah, in theory it works. In practice... well, silly to wonder about what works in practice in a made-up universe. So yes! But it'd be heretical to do so.

Khaine's Messenger
13-09-2007, 00:27
If it were to turn its listening devices towards terra, if im correct (and im no astro physisit) it would hear AC/DC, Rush Limbaugh, etc. on AM and FM frequneceis.

It might; however, there are no guarantees about the origins of those signals due to the speed with which mankind achieved superluminal travel capabilities and started polluting the universe more and more with its radio signals (as well as those of other races!).

2. Imperials cant understand English, etc. (Perhaps it could be translated)

They can, but there would be barriers to understanding due to thirty-eight thousand years of linguistic drift. English used to be one of the languages that pidgin'd/creole'd into Tech, one of the dominant languages of the DAoT, but it's not exactly common nowadays. *EDIT: d'oh. Not to say everyone nowadays speaks English, of course. Just meant that as an example.

3. Techno Heresy - An imperial citizen wouldnt dare report strange messages coming from Terra's direction

Or they may just be routine. Or disregarded on an automated level because they do not carry recognized prefix codes, tones, etc.

4. Imperials use more advanced pict/vox frequencies that surpass AM/FM/UHF/VHF

Radio traffic sniffers would be much less useful than astropathic traffic sniffers or even intercepting couriers, since radio traffic is much slower than "routine" warp travel (even a low-end warp-capable vessel can go in a short jump a distance that takes radio four years). Then again, there have been cases where system defense grids detect long-range pleas for help via radio, so....

could someone know alot about ancient earth by just listeing in on us?

In a sort of incomplete and detached fashion, sure.

Russell's teapot
13-09-2007, 07:19
Given that the 40k universe appears to be littered with space-faring sensient beings, and a whole load of minor guys too, I'd expect that the ether is swimming with ancient signals from all types of races. Add previously unihabited planets that are then populated by humans/xenos, I expect that the messages are all garbled together & that any meaningfull distillation of a specific frequency would be nigh-on impossible (assuming you knew the original frequency, it's origin & how long ago it occured).

I would also wager that these would not be looked at by the Imperium for fear of these being heretical wisperings of Xenos, or Daemons.

Mr Kibbles
13-09-2007, 07:49
I would also wager that these would not be looked at by the Imperium for fear of these being heretical wisperings of Xenos, or Daemons.
Yeah, they are a supersticious lot the imperials!:):D:rolleyes:

Shibboleth
13-09-2007, 09:53
Pre-Crusade era pretty much the entire galaxy was overtaken by warp storms, which I imagine would have wiped all such signals away.

Hostilius
13-09-2007, 13:02
Pre-Crusade era pretty much the entire galaxy was overtaken by warp storms, which I imagine would have wiped all such signals away.

Be reminded that our present day signals only travel through material universe, not the immaterium. Whatever happened in the warp have no effect on the material space.

codicium_aeternum
23-09-2007, 18:26
more likely is a race somewhere far out possibly beyond this galaxy that left near the end of the DAoT that still contains massive amounts of data and a complete STC, probably still travelling tbh with its crew in statis

McMullet
23-09-2007, 19:28
In theory it's possible, though very unlikely; in practice, the main issue is that you'd need to try really hard to do it (though I suppose Radical elements in the Adeptus Mechanicus might be interested in peeking back a few hundred centuries...).

This is, nevertheless, going to be the justification for my Dooks uv Azzud themed Ork army.

Ironsides
24-09-2007, 04:56
The real question is which programs the various races/factions would prefer:D

Orks-80's hair bands
tyranids- the Aliens movies
Necrons- Terminator
Chaos- er... Teletubbies?
Tau- Iron Chef
Gaurd- anything with girl-on-girl action

Invader Nails
25-09-2007, 22:39
Mm, indeed.

I reckon that most Imperials are too ignorant/superstitious to embark upon such a project, and almost nobody else would even bother. I could see the Tau trying it out, however, being the clever little xenos that they are. It would be pleasantly ironic if the Tau ended up having a greater understanding of certain areas of human history than the humans themselves.

izandral
25-09-2007, 22:50
is there not radio interference in space due to various phenomenon ? I mean there's lots of radiation form various sources in space so although in theory the signal travels eternally i'm thinking it would be lost to background noise after a couple of thousands light year

Invader Nails
26-09-2007, 00:35
Oh, undoubtedly. There are singularities and quasars and pulars and Emperor knows what all else out in space that would mess with things, but it's fun to speculate about nonetheless.