PDA

View Full Version : Do CSM look after their gear?

Pooky
13-09-2007, 00:42
Do CSM look after their gear? I was thinking the loyalists look after all their gear quite carefully. There's the litanies of fixing things, they take a good part of their day to fix/clean things, there's servitors to make sure things are done right. But when I look at the CSM fluff art their bolters are all half mangled and twisted. Now I was thinking that Slaneesh CSM would clean their weapons out very frequently and would be highly precise about it. Nurgle on the other hand probably couldn't care less about their gear. Khorne would be somewhere inbetween. As a warrior they would want their gear to be in good working order, but they would also want the gore and blood their to make sure they still instilled fear in their enemy.

So, any thoughts?

Nazguire
13-09-2007, 01:01
Do CSM look after their gear? I was thinking the loyalists look after all their gear quite carefully. There's the litanies of fixing things, they take a good part of their day to fix/clean things, there's servitors to make sure things are done right. But when I look at the CSM fluff art their bolters are all half mangled and twisted. Now I was thinking that Slaneesh CSM would clean their weapons out very frequently and would be highly precise about it. Nurgle on the other hand probably couldn't care less about their gear. Khorne would be somewhere inbetween. As a warrior they would want their gear to be in good working order, but they would also want the gore and blood their to make sure they still instilled fear in their enemy.

So, any thoughts?

No reason that they don't. Just because they are 'Chaos' doesnt' mean tthat they don't have respect for their weaponry and other gear. The Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion I can see being very meticulous about looking after their weapons and wargear. Plague Marines I can't so much due to the fact that the whole rotting thing and Nurgle daemons would sorta make maintanence cycle redundant.

Lord_Crull
13-09-2007, 01:03
Of course. It would be stupid not to take care of you weaponry, if you don't then it gets you killed.

All the legions and renagade chapters take care of there weapons witht he obivous exception of Nurgle, but they are animated by Nurgle's sorcery so it dos'nt matter.

Commissar Bob
13-09-2007, 05:28
Well Im not sure the thousand sons take care of their weapons. It's kind of hard to disassemble and clean your bolter when you are just a pile of dust and arent exactly nimble.:p Unless they are somehow sorcerously kept clean.

Commissar BOb

jhon
13-09-2007, 07:23
saids who the death have a poor weaponary , the nurglings take care of papa nurgle's warrior well....
as for the k sons the familiar of some sort do the job for the dusty armour..

Pooky
13-09-2007, 07:37
so it seems ppl agree that CSM look after their gear*. Then why is it in fluff pics they all look mangled and battered? Look at the CSM in the rule book, the end of the clip of bolt shells is a little nub, daemon thing. That doesn't look like he's taken care of his gear... Leave alone the rest of his armor.

* by gear I also meant their tanks, their armor, their everything that makes them an army. So it's not just their guns I'm talking about.

Iracundus
13-09-2007, 09:20
They decorate and add ornamentation to their weaponry. It may be battered and dented but it remains functional. This is 40K where old usually translates to better. Also in the 2nd ed. Chaos Codex it states the old Legions still use their Great Crusade era weapons out of pride and bitterness.

Adra
13-09-2007, 09:33
I referance Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill. A CSM takes an enslaved woman and makes her clean his armour after each battle. So CSM do clean their kit, or at least get someone to do it for them. Ultimatly CSM armour is very old and often a bit spooky so the normal rules as to how much wear it can take before breaking down dont apply.

pookie
13-09-2007, 10:26
you also need to consider that 'mangled' may also me its been deformed by the power of Chaos, its still a functional weapon, just 'appears' diffrent from the norm.

Endemion
13-09-2007, 15:04
All soldiers look after their weaponry, it's what keeps them alive. CSM are traitors, not idiots

Nazguire
13-09-2007, 22:50
so it seems ppl agree that CSM look after their gear*. Then why is it in fluff pics they all look mangled and battered? Look at the CSM in the rule book, the end of the clip of bolt shells is a little nub, daemon thing. That doesn't look like he's taken care of his gear... Leave alone the rest of his armor.

* by gear I also meant their tanks, their armor, their everything that makes them an army. So it's not just their guns I'm talking about.

Mangled and battered? Because nine times out of ten those 'fluff' pics are of Chaos Marines fighting in a battle. You don't stay squeaky clean when the air is full of bullets and you're a seven foot tall, plate wearing killing machine. You become very high on people's target priorities.

The nub daemon thing is either ornamentation (much how loyalists may paint or sculpt on their Chapter symbol onto their bolter) or actually a daemon inhabiting the boltgun.

RedStompa
14-09-2007, 00:27
I would imagine a CSM would take as good care as a baby would for their diaper- they would soil it. With a whole foul manner of things. Just to spite the Emperor. Because everyone knows, Chaos Marines are just overgown noobs with spikes on their armor.

Erebus26
14-09-2007, 12:59
Certainly I reckon some of the Cult Marines wouldn't give a monkeys, but the other Traitor Legions, especially the Iron Warriors would just take as much care for their equipment as loyalist marines would!

Nazguire
14-09-2007, 13:20
Certainly I reckon some of the Cult Marines wouldn't give a monkeys, but the other Traitor Legions, especially the Iron Warriors would just take as much care for their equipment as loyalist marines would!

I can see a Berserker taking particular attention to his axe and pistol, or whatever he is using, as without them at optimum performance it's less skulls he can take.

Erebus26
14-09-2007, 13:28
Oh yes that's true in a way Naz, but I don't think he'd be really bothered about cleaning all that blood off his chainaxe do you? :D

ro9an
14-09-2007, 13:32
slaanesh I'm sure do, they might even like cleaning it a little too much!

Wolflord Havoc
14-09-2007, 14:01
I would imagine that troops as well trained as Space Marines regardless of their Chapter and loyalties would take very good care of their weapons.

An exception might be Cult Marines of the Death Gaurd and 1K Sons.

Their weapons are either Magical or...pus smeared and smelly....so they must be magical in order to work.

World Eaters are susposed to be the epitomy of a Warrior and as such would take exceedingly good care of their equipment. I suspect that they might be blood coated after a battle but certainly not prior to one.

As for the state of Noise Marine weapons - I am not sure I want to go there!!!

ro9an
14-09-2007, 14:17
slaaneshi marine: "these cleaning oils feels so good against my skin..."

maybe actually they just don't get around to cleaning them because they get distracted!