PDA

View Full Version : The Curses of Warhammer 40k

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 02:47
We all know the Imperium's taunting shouts and demeaning yells, but that cant be all of them... Surely other races have ways of belittleing their foes and cursing at them during battle. What are they? Also What are the Litanies of Hate? An actual emboldening spell? Or A string of curses designed to terrify xeno and heretic scum?

How would the following yell/curse at eachother?
Eldar to:
Tau
Space Marine
Imperial Gaurdsmen
Chaos Marine
Tyranid
Ork
Dark ELdar

and the rest of them to the other races... I think you get the idea:chrome::D:eek::angel:

icegreentea
13-09-2007, 03:05
eldar to IG and SM. monkeighs. duh. maybe even throw a banana.

Nargrakhan
13-09-2007, 03:09
Space Marine to everyone:

FOR THE EMPEROR!!!

And that's about all they need to say. :)

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 03:10
Everyone that isn't Eldar or non-humanoid is Mon'Keigh.

The Tau call Humans Gue'la, which means something like "Lowest Being". Incidentally, the Tau call the Orks Be'gel and Or'es (I assume one means "greenskin" and one means "Ork") and the Tyranids Y'He.

And of course, the Tyranids call everyone Dinner (or lunch or breakfast depending on the time of day I guess).

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 03:13
im sure the SM say some pretty mean stuff to xenos and heritics...

Nargrakhan
13-09-2007, 03:21
The Tau call Humans Gue'la, which means something like "Lowest Being".

Everyone looks down on humans until we're genociding their entire freaking species... then they're like: "Mercy! Please stop! Don't do this!"

Bah... ingrates... stupid roaches should know the galaxy is ours by now. :evilgrin:

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 03:33
Everyone looks down on humans until we're genociding their entire freaking species... then they're like: "Mercy! Please stop! Don't do this!"

The Imperium will have the last laugh when it comes to the Tau. Either that or the 'Nids will.

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 03:35
how close did they come to wiping them out int he daemonclese gulf?

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 03:36
how close did they come to wiping them out int he daemonclese gulf?

IIRC (and I probably don't) they cut a pretty deep swathe, penetrating all the way into the region surrounding T'au itself.

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 03:39
then HOW the hell did they fail? and was there a GW campaign about this or something?

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 03:40
then HOW the hell did they fail? and was there a GW campaign about this or something?

No, there was no campaign.

The reason the Damocles Gulf crusade was unsuccessful was because 1. It ground to an attritional halt, 2. because the Tyranids had hit the Imperium hard and they needed the Fleet and soldiers elsewhere.

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 03:58
but otherwise they would have been able to wipe them out? By the way... why was it started in the first place?, besides hated of the xeno...

anyways pack to the topic (after you answer these qs)

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 04:03
but otherwise they would have been able to wipe them out?

Not with the insignificant forces they had on the crusade no...there was only a tiny, tiny amount of Imperium resources in the Crusade.

By the way... why was it started in the first place?, besides hated of the xeno...

Basically, someone said, "Hey, we need to get rid of these Tau!"

100 years later, after the bureacracy of the Imperium approved it, they attacked.

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 04:32
and they still mashed a huge swath out of tau worlds.... tau are definately the noobs of the galaxy.

Hellebore
13-09-2007, 04:50
Because the tau were influencing imperial planets, and had actually caused several to secede form imperial rule. The imperium couldn't stand for that, so they decided to do something about it - in a hundred years.

Isn't the ork word for most heinous foe also the same one for dearest friend? The whole point being that anyone who challenges you for victory and makes a good show of it is doing something nice for you.

Hellebore

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 06:02
I am curious to know what the Litany of Hate is.

I imagine it is something like:

To be Unclean
That is the Mark of the Xenos
To be Impure
To be Abhorred
To be Reviled
To be Hunted
To be Purged
That is the fate of the Xenos
To be Destroyed
For that is the fate of all Xenos

Tehkonrad
13-09-2007, 10:18
thats the litanie of xeno

Supremearchmarshal
13-09-2007, 12:56
The old Chaos Gate game has a lot of taunts and curses for SM vs. CSM

SM:
The Emperor orders you to die!
(throws grenade) Let chaos taste this!
May your dark soul feel the light of the Emperor!
Fall before me, chaos traitor!
(using plasma weapon) Starfire shall devour your black soul!
(SM suffers light hit) You cannot harm the pure of faith!

CSM
I will crush the life from you!
Burn their lives away!
Death to all who serve the Emperor!
Die beneath our bolts!
Let them taste the flames of chaos!
(CSM suffers light hit) You waste my time!

Chaos Cultist
{moaning}
{berserk roaring}
Join us!
Come to Chaos!

Supremearchmarshal
13-09-2007, 13:02
I am curious to know what the Litany of Hate is.

Yep, that's xeno, did you mean the Silver Skulls litany of hatred?

"While vile mutants still draw breath, there can be no peace.
While obscene heretics' hearts still beat, there can be no respite.
While faithless traitors still live, there can be no forgiveness."

SV_Harlequin
13-09-2007, 13:08
You know killing them instead of yelling insults it a pretty good indicator of not liking someone.

Nargrakhan
13-09-2007, 13:40
Come to think of it... the words heretic, mutant, and xeno are probably swear words to the Imperium.

Also novels that feature the IG as the central characters, often show them having "fictional curses" that substitute IRL words to pass censors. Sorta like how Shadowrun replaces "the f-word" with "frak" and "frag" and whatnot. However I don't recall any of them off the top of my head. :(

atomictophat
13-09-2007, 14:08
Well I know the orks use the words zog and frag as curse words, but other than that I'm not to sure.

As for trash talking, Dark Crusade is rich with it. Many on Gorgutz's behalf.
'You callin' me names, grey skin? My boyz are going to have to teach ya some manners.'
'Do you always yammer so much, humie?'
'Do ya die any faster? I gots to plan the rest of me day.'

FarseerMatt
13-09-2007, 14:36
I thought "frak" was Battlestar Galactica? :P

Yeah, in Gaunt's Ghosts they use "feth" for the f-word and "gak" for the s-word. Milder curses include things like "Golden throne!" and "Emperor's teeth!" lol

The only Eldar curse I've heard was in Shadow Point where Lileathon said "Ceiba ny shak!", though something like "Blood of Eldanesh!" might be considered swearing because of the shock value (it's associated with disaster and death) and other god-related exclamations like "Isha's tears!" more mildly so.

Orks have at least one universal swear word, which is "zog" :P As in "Zog this!", "Stupid zogger" and "Stomp the zoggin' 'Umies!"

Dunno what Tau curses are like, though anything relating to the Mon'tau might be considered shocking.

As for taunting each other...see DoW for inspiration

"Orks...they are the cancer, we are the cure." - Eldar Farseer
"Eldar! Purge the witches!" - Space Marine Commander
"Feel the wrath of Chaos!" - Chaos Marine
"Burn, heretic!" - Space Marine Dreadnaught
"Cleanse this Chaos scum!" - Chaplain Varnus
"You will die by Eldar hand." - Eldar Guardian
"Shoot 'eeeeeeem!" - Orks
"Orks! Purge the beasts!" - Space Marine commander
"Your death will mirror your pathetic life." - Chaos Sorceror
"Welcome to your death!" - Eldar Ranger
"Crush the runts!" - Orks in assault
"Die! Die! Die!" - Space Marine Dreadnaught
"Chaos calls for you soul!" - Chaos Lord
"Why won't you die!?" - Eldar Guardian

Also the banter in Dark Crusade. Farseer Taldeer has got to have the best lines ever :D All those ice-cool quips in response to the enemy tirades...

"I have come to destroy you, monster." (to Necron Lord)

Aun'el - Eldar, your attack against us is ill-conceived.
Taldeer - I choose the path of war because it is the only one left to me, Aun'el Shi O'res of Tau.
Aun'el - War against the Greater Good is never justified.
Taldeer - Naive child.

Gorgutz - You Eldar are startin' to be a real pain, ya know that?
Taldeer - Our task here is too important to let one such as you derail it.
Gorgutz - Huh? Did ya say somethin', Eldar? I couldn't hear fer all that hot air you'z blowin'.
Taldeer - Your infantilism is boundless, Ork.
Gorgutz - And she still won't shut it!
(Later)
Gorgutz - 'Nuff o' your sneakin' around, Eldar. Let's see if I can get me some o' yer pointy skulls fer me stick.
Taldeer - Your ill-begotten invasion ends now, Ork.
Gorgutz - I'll be gettin' what now? You Eldar is mighty proud of yer big words, ya know.
Taldeer - Knowledge brings power with it, barbarian.

Thule - Go back to the shadows, Eldar. You can't win here.
Taldeer - I have already seen our victory, human. You simply delay the inevitable.
Thule - The Blood Ravens have never bowed before destiny or fate and we won't start now!
Taldeer - Seeing virtue in idiocy is the prerogative of the young.
(Later, when the relic falls)
Thule - Alien witch! You despoil our chapel with your presence!
Taldeer - Your Emperor is an illusion, human. I cannot blaspheme against something which is not divine.
Thule - You dare...!
Taldeer - Unless of course you pray to something else altogether in this ruined temple?
Thule - We will send you back to your Craftworld in a tomb!
Taldeer - I have known my death for ten of your lifetimes, captain. Dn't think to scare me with it.

And of course, her exchange with Captain Thule when the Castellum is attacked, which I sigged :D

Supremearchmarshal
13-09-2007, 14:38
Speaking of Orks, this one's from Final Liberation:

"Hey, you humie! We're comin' for ya. You'd better RUUUUN!"

RedStompa
13-09-2007, 15:15
You know killing them instead of yelling insults it a pretty good indicator of not liking someone.

but shouting something bad at them is an even greater indicator- plus if you taunt someone like a Chaos marine saying "DIE, SCUM!!" while putting a bolt round through his head, it gives you more confidence to you and those around you that you will win the day...

unwanted
13-09-2007, 15:51
"SkumGrod" is Ork(ish?) for favourite enemy/hated friend, if memory serves me correctly.

Don't know where else, but the Grand Warlord (Adrian Wood) used the phrase in the inaugural battlerep for 40K 3.0

Ktotwf
13-09-2007, 20:49

The Insults aren't for the enemy...

Kage2020
13-09-2007, 21:23
For me?

GW!!!!!!! Damn you....!!!!!!! :D

Erm, I'm only kidding...

Kage

Drogmir
13-09-2007, 22:03
I remember in Chaos Gate there were insults from both sides

Chaos to SM: You shoot as poorly as all those who serve the emperor!

SM to Chaos: The Emperor mails you his wrath!

and there were many others

RedStompa
14-09-2007, 00:24
SM to Chaos: The Emperor mails you his wrath!

*pictures a SM stuffing a CSM in a post office mailbox*

Am I interpereting this the right way or was it a typo?

What would an Ork call an Eldar, besides sending 'alf the boyz 'ome, and calling it puny?

I know they call tau fishfaces,greyskins,horsefeet.... ooh those orks. :cries::p:o:cheese:

Drogmir
14-09-2007, 00:51
*pictures a SM stuffing a CSM in a post office mailbox*

Am I interpereting this the right way or was it a typo?

What would an Ork call an Eldar, besides sending 'alf the boyz 'ome, and calling it puny?

I know they call tau fishfaces,greyskins,horsefeet.... ooh those orks. :cries::p:o:cheese:

that or sends whatever

IronSythes
14-09-2007, 01:45
if i remember alot of the curses in dan abnet modles are replaced by Feth!! and Gak!!

RedStompa
14-09-2007, 15:14
hehe Gak is a funny one case it just sounds so odd.

GAKKKKK!

Shrapnel
14-09-2007, 18:02
he uses '****' later on in the series, and the ciaphas cain series uses 'frak', just like BSG.

dakka_dakka223
14-09-2007, 20:20
i think the nids would just go boo and then eat them as they tried to run away [apart from marines and they just go boo back]

RelictorLord
14-09-2007, 21:05
In several instances of fluff guardsmen have been known to say feth instead of the f word, I dont think marines would resort to using naughty words TBH there far to literate i.e. instead of fething bug-yee acursed vile stain on the emporers domain! you get the picture

Nargrakhan
14-09-2007, 21:23
i think the nids would just go boo and then eat them as they tried to run away [apart from marines and they just go boo back]

Actually I think their curses are more the lines of:

Salivate, Snarl, Roar, Crunch, Munch, Munch, Munch, Gulp, repeat. :evilgrin:

FarseerMatt
14-09-2007, 21:30

The colloquial name among Orks for Eldar is "pointy-earz" (oddly enough, the same name the Imperials use) although I imagine names like "fairiez" and "poncy gitz" would be on the cards too...

PrinnySquad
14-09-2007, 22:02
It's also panzee's I think.

Brother Enok
14-09-2007, 22:16
In the HH series Marines swear normal. Ergo "bastard" and "Sh1t". Thats more the 31st millenium however so meh.

The Guy
15-09-2007, 10:54
Ooo necron swearing...*glare* *zap* *hostalavista..baby!*

stormblade
15-09-2007, 17:21
The best 40K curses that I've seen is in Winter Assault- That Khore dude(what'shisname) has some of the best threats a man can make.

"Make one more step towards that Titan ork and I'll push my fingers into your greasy eye pits!"- It's the way he says them that makes it magical.

RedStompa
15-09-2007, 22:11
Yeah Ive been thinking about that too... how would Orks regard chaos marines? besides 'spikey boyz'

do they actually respect them? or do they hate them more?

GodofWarTx
16-09-2007, 07:22
i think to orks eldar are panzees. Dark Eldar are Spikey Panzees.

The Guy
16-09-2007, 10:48
SoB to nid hive tyrant " Get away from her you b**ch!"

Ork to salamander " Die gient Bogey wiv fia!"
Salamander's reply "Umm..You are green too"
Ork's reply "Kwit ya Racizm!"
Salamander ":wtf:" *Burns Ork*

RedStompa
16-09-2007, 18:23
I thought Salamanders were orange...?

I wonder what an ork would say to a... dark eldar... that had no legs.... or arms.

stormblade
16-09-2007, 19:22
I thought Salamanders were orange...?

I wonder what an ork would say to a... dark eldar... that had no legs.... or arms.

- Easy pickings, yummy, get 'iz teeth- or something like that.

The Guy
17-09-2007, 20:39
What would a tau fire warrior say to a nid ripper with bunny ears on its head? :confused:

RedStompa
17-09-2007, 20:44
nononono, Khorne bezerkers with bunny ears.

by the way guytwiththejammedtorch... is there a story behind your name...I cant help but picture an embassacing moment where a Gaurdsmen somehow jammed his flamer.

The Guy
17-09-2007, 21:15
Lol I just thought that with my bad dice rolls I always seem to get that I'd be likely to jam my gun if I were in the warhammer40k universe :(