PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Beasts of Chaos (Ambushtastic!)

mistformsquirrel
13-09-2007, 23:01
So anyway <@.@> some of you may have noticed my poll in the general section. While it'll be open a good while longer, and there's a long time for me to change my mind... I decided to whip up a Beasts of Chaos list that follows the general idea.

To get an idea of what I'm looking for stylistically, go here: http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-general-discussion/102474-counts-as-army-which-list-to-use.html

Anyways, here's the list I've worked up so far.

Characters:

Beastlord w/ Slaughterer’s Blade, Armor of Damnation, Horn of the Great Hunt

Wargor w/ Additional Hand Weapon, Pelt of the Dark Young, Heavy Armor –

Core:

Beast Herd w/ 15 Ungors w/ Shields, 10 Gors w/ 2x Hand Weapons, Full Command

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

5 Warhounds of Chaos

5 Warhounds of Chaos

Special:

Braganza and 14 Besiegers

2000pts

The idea is pretty close to the theme I'm after honestly. I'd have loved to have included more shooting, but the only 2 units that seem to remotely fit the way I see this group fighting are the Halfling Fighting Cocks (Skirmishers) or Braganza's Besiegers (because I can imagine a group of primitive catpeople setting up heavy wood shields to hide behind when they ambush their opponents in the forest).

Unless I'm mistaken though, you can only take a Regiment of Reknown once, so that of course creates the problem of having one too-big unit to pour too many points into.

But still, 15 crossbows is reasonable, much more than a normal beast list is likely to have eh?

The Chariots are something I was inspired by in that other thread, after someone mentioned "Lion Chariot" - that was kinda it. I had to have a few. Plus it gives me a chance to really frustrate my opponent on the first turn or two before the ambush strikes home.

Then of course we have the meat and potatoes - a ton of ambushing beasts. They aren't particularly strong individually its true; but I think there's a pretty fair chance they'll be hitting vulnerable flanks as opposed to being forced to charge head on; which aught to put the enemy in a difficult position.

The lack of magic is kinda unfortunate, but it was that or the crossbows, and the crossbows were more fitting to me >.< I'm not horribly worried about winning or anything; but any refinements along the theme would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Khorghan
13-09-2007, 23:50
Drop the besiegers, add a sorcerer- maybe bestigors. i like the huge number of chariots

gerrymander61
14-09-2007, 14:45
The rest of your army is all fast moving and combat oriented. Plus, they're skirmishers and will block LoS like a fat child. I don't really see how they'll fit in with the rest of the army. Why not take 2 Galloper guns, unless they can't be hired by Beast armies.

If you drop the sheilds on the ungor and some unit champs you might be able to scrape points for a caddy, which imo you should have.

mistformsquirrel
15-09-2007, 23:18
Well, the Unit Champs increase Ld >.< so I figured they'd be kinda useful. I admit, the shields aren't all that helpful for the Ungors though. I may take them off now that I'm thinking about it >.<

Remember though, that a huge chunk of the army is going to be Ambushing; so a lot of those skirmishers won't start the game on the board. So I'm not sure Line of Sight is going to be that big a problem. That said; I think I'm going to exchange the Besiegers for Halfling Fighting Cocks, because the Fighting Cocks are skirmishers themselves, which suits the nature of the army a bit better >.<;

(the reason I'm sooooo hard up for some shooting though, is because it really just suits the character of the force - having no bows in an army of this type really seems silly conceptually >.<)

I'll see if I can wrangle the points for a sorcerer >.<b Thanks for the help! (I have a loooong time to work on this list >.> so nothing is concrete yet)

Salyx
16-09-2007, 01:50
What would make such a big ambush really effective would be Heroes in the ambushing Units, best would be Khorne-Heroes.So an effective ambush would see 3 Herds with Heroes, if you have not enough Units on the Battlefield the enemy has 3 turns to adjust to your ambush(They take at least 3 turns before they can attack). Also I see no sense in your Wargor the way he is equipped. Pelt offers him no real protection and 2 Hand weapons are just no match compared to a great weapon.
I would drop a herd and get 3 Khorne-Heroes to put some real combat power into your ambush. And then you do not need to worry about a caddy though your magic defense would be pretty poor before the ambush takes place.
Another way to get points for the Heroes would be to drop a few Ungors and one Gor out of the ambushing Units since they will be replaced by a character.
Another way to get points would be to swap the Slaughterer's blade with a standard great weapon.
Anyway,hope your concept will work out,sounds like a nice army :)

mistformsquirrel
16-09-2007, 07:48
Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

>.> Well ok maybe not that far. But some interesting thoughts there, I'm going to have another go at it tonight. I really doubt I'll mark anyone - there's a good reason for that in the backstory; but other than that, some good points.

popisdead
22-09-2007, 00:34
w/ a 10" 360 charge there is no reason to not have a GW on your Beastlord.

you have no magic? is it low-fantasy? otherwise you're going to die and panic in the magic phase.

DoW aren't so hot in BoC.

You need some serious hitters (minotaurs w/ GW's comes to mind), as well as some furies or marauder fast cav.

mistformsquirrel
22-09-2007, 02:47
Ack, forgot about this thread hehe <,<;

I've done some revision of the original list; I'll post it up tonight. The Slaughterer's Blade though is a Great Weapon isn't it? as well as letting me heal wounds too?

mistformsquirrel
22-09-2007, 07:20
Ok, updated list:

Characters:

Beastlord w/ Slaughterer’s Blade, Armor of Damnation, Horn of the Great Hunt

Wargor w/ Additional Hand Weapon, Pelt of the Dark Young, Heavy Armor

Wargor w/ Trollhide Armor, Great Weapon

Bray Shaman w/ Upgrade to Level 2, Chaos Armor, Braystaff

Core:

Beast Herd w/ 15 Ungors, 10 Gors w/ 2x Hand Weapons, Full Command

Beast Herd w/ 15 Ungors 10 Gors w/ 2x Hand Weapons, Full Command

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

5 Warhounds of Chaos

5 Warhounds of Chaos

Rare:

Lumpin Croop, Ned Hamfist, and 18 Halfling Fighting Cocks

I think the Halfling Fighting Cocks suit the playstyle I'm going for a bit better, and as Skirmishers, suit the loose and disorganized theme well. I'm going to use them as juvenile catpeople, basically those too young to fight in the ranks; but old enough to contribute to the cause. They, 2 Warhound units, the Chariots, 2 Herds, the Beastlord and Bray Shaman will start on the table; while the 2 Wargors and the other 4 Beast Herds will come in via Ambush. The Horn of the Great Hunt should help make sure they come in where I want them too as well. So the first couple turns, I plan to draw the enemy in toward me, hitting them with some light shots from the Fighting Cocks and maybe engaging a couple units with the Chariots. Then sound the Ambush and prey on their exposed flanks and rear.

At least that's how I'm seeing it >.> What do you all think of the updated version?