PDA

View Full Version : possibly immature question about bionic implants

Aun'aart'al
30-08-2005, 08:08
Now before you read on more, please be aware that this is meant to be a serious question, and is in no way meant to offend any who decide to read this. This question is meant to be an honest question.

When a Space Marine (or say Imperial Guardsmen) are in battle and say, their reproductive organs (testicles for the slow), are blown off along with a leg, do they recieve a bionic.. er.. piece/body part? or some sort of flash-cloned.. er.. body part..? also, what about their posterier? (behind) do they recieve a bionic rear, or a flash-cloned rear? :eyebrows: :confused:

Mikko
30-08-2005, 08:24
Vat meat. Bionics wouldn't serve any useful purpose in those parts.

FutureEmperor
30-08-2005, 08:28
unless thier wife was into that sorta stuff....... lol

im just joking personally i wouldnt think so, maybe thier "behind" as it is needed to sit, but those other organs probably not as they are non essential and battle bros dont need those things (do they?)

Although without thier "you know what" they probably wouldnt be able to be seduced by slannesh... (an elite storm trooper regiment armed to fight chaos, by being disarmed ;) )

Aun'aart'al
30-08-2005, 08:43
well I would imagine that they would need both, granted, a Space Marine wouldnt need his testicles for a sexual reason, but what about removing waste? or.. do their bodies even produce much waste?

and imagine that, a bionic butt, haha POWER SIT! ahahaha

Inquis. Jaeger
30-08-2005, 09:27
Marines don't need it. They're chemically castrated during the bio-augmentation process.

Aun'aart'al
30-08-2005, 09:33
seriously? bad picture there dude.. :eyebrows: I can just picture the Marines screaming, much like how little kids are frightened to goto the dentist because they hear the person who went before them screaming.. saaaaame picture..

pnweerar
30-08-2005, 10:00
I would hope they remove marine sex organs, serious waste of blood flow to keep those up. As a matter of the basic fine tuning of the human machine into a space marine, I hope the Emperor and his lab boys would have seen to that sort of thing a long time ago.

I'm not sure a Guardsman would survive losing his **** -- too many vital bits that are connected and closely packed there. I'm not sure a Guardsman would want to survive losing his **** either.

Better to die for the Emperor than live for your ****.

Navin

Yodhrin
30-08-2005, 10:04
If it were possible, they likely would give a Guardsman some kind of vat-grown replacements, if only for the reason that testosterone is linked to aggression.

Sai-Lauren
30-08-2005, 10:07
Marines don't need it. They're chemically castrated during the bio-augmentation process.
Without testosterone, a lot of natural aggression is lost. Ok, you can replace that with hormonal injections, but consider the case where marines are in the field for a long time (Shrike's Raptors, 13th Co, Crimson Fists and so on) - they'd sooner or later run out.
Plus marine implants need a male physiology to function, which pretty much means testosterone.

Their drives may be redirected through indoctrination and hypno-therapy into serving humaity rather than trying to continue their lineage, but the equipment is still there.

As for the original question, they'd probably have whatever was left reconstructed to support whatever functionality the surgeons can provide - same as someone suffering such an injury today. They might have to have injections if there's insufficient material to support hormone levels, or they may be able to regenerate or have the surgeons grow enough hormone producing tissue for them to be self-sufficient in that regard.

Mikko
30-08-2005, 10:41
Without testosterone, a lot of natural aggression is lost. Ok, you can replace that with hormonal injections, but consider the case where marines are in the field for a long time (Shrike's Raptors, 13th Co, Crimson Fists and so on) - they'd sooner or later run out.
Plus marine implants need a male physiology to function, which pretty much means testosterone.

Their drives may be redirected through indoctrination and hypno-therapy into serving humaity rather than trying to continue their lineage, but the equipment is still there.
I think the "chemically castrated" means not that the parts in question are removed, but rather that the guns are there, but shooting blanks. And/or with the hammer permanently decocked. So to speak.

("Decocked" is an actual gun term. Stop snickering, damnit.)

gunhed
30-08-2005, 10:54
I think the "chemically castrated" means not that the parts in question are removed, but rather that the guns are there, but shooting blanks. And/or with the hammer permanently decocked. So to speak.

("Decocked" is an actual gun term. Stop snickering, damnit.)

So do Slaanesii marines get recocked then? :D

Vaya
30-08-2005, 10:56
Snickering? This thread has me ROFL for about five minutes now. Luckily all my colleagues are on lunch break. :D :D :D

Seriously, when a Guardsman's ass is blown off, I don't expect him to live, let alond receive a new one. Important dudes might be able to get a bionic behind, but imo are skilled enough not to get their butt blown to kingdom come.

Anyway, all the 'functions' of an ass can be replaced by a pillow and a cholostomy bag. :D

Mother_Mercy
30-08-2005, 12:00

It is quite easy to imagine a scenario like that of a steroid abuser. They grow impotent, but muscular and highly aggressive.

Khaine's Messenger
30-08-2005, 16:06
do they recieve a bionic.. er.. piece/body part?

No. The mechanics of that bit of anatomy are a little too complex to bother about, and hormone factory or not (it should probably be noted that artificial drug-secretion glands are well within the Imperium's tech base anywho), the Emperor's military cares more about walking upright and carrying a firearm than how well its guardsmen can "perform," although going to the latrine is going to take some doing (then again, if the NASA astronauts in the 60's were man enough to use diapers, then by the God-Emperor, so can you ;) ). You might have enough stuff sticking out of that region to get an approximation of that job done, though, depending on the quality of the bionic pelvis and/or wheelchair you're going to have to get installed (pray that you're not given a stubber with one round in it--that'd ruin your day quick-like). To quote Joe from Family Guy, "'How does his pee-pee work, mommy?' Well let me tell you something, Suzy--NOT SO WELL!" ;)

Aun'aart'al
30-08-2005, 17:09
lol waaayy too funny :D lol but this thread wasnt meant to ask about whether a Guardsmen can recieve a bionic body part so he could preform for some dame better, but rather so he could continue on afterwords

Mother_Mercy
30-08-2005, 18:26
A Guardsman (or woman, for that matter) who is so badly wounded as to have a piece of his/her hip area missing would 90% of the time never live long enough to recieve any kind of treatment, let alone bionics.

It's a matter of how front-line medics have to work. Those with the greatest chance of surviving will be those who recieve medical aid first. Anything beyond mere flesh damage in the groin area means you're dead as far as the field medic is concerned.

Karhedron
30-08-2005, 19:32
So do Slaanesii marines get recocked then? :D
According to the Ian Watson novel "Chaos Child" they certainly do. They also get some additional "wargear" upgrades in that area if you take my meaning. Think master-crafted and twin-linked. :eek: :D

Aun'aart'al
30-08-2005, 19:36
pregnancy must be a problem then :rolleyes:

Mikko
30-08-2005, 20:33
It is quite easy to imagine a scenario like that of a steroid abuser. They grow impotent, but muscular and highly aggressive.
Exactly. "I have no gun and I must shoot." :D

Commander Dante
30-08-2005, 21:57
In the same serious by Ian Watson didnt Lex the Imperial Fist get 'aroused' during a specific ceremony? it's been a couple of years... but if IRC he did...

pnweerar
31-08-2005, 04:14
Great lines and phrases this thread has generated:

Vaya
"When a Guardsman's ass is blown off, I don't expect him to live."
"bionic behind"

Mikko
"Decocked. So to speak."
"I have no gun and I must shoot."

Me (cause why not?)
"Better to die for the Emperor than to live for your ****."

Khaine's Messenger
31-08-2005, 04:51
so he could continue on afterwords

Yes, he could; of course, "could" means that, given availability (local manufacture, standardization, maintenance issues, cost, on and on), functionality (whether or not the implant would allow for good enough movement or would just be an unpowered prosthetic, aka "peg leg," perhaps on springs and levers twitched by body movement at best), overall medical condition, and importance of the guardsman in question are definately controlling factors in raising or lowering the probability of this random Guardsman getting anything other than the Emperor's mercy or a wheelchair and a retirement lottery ticket (depending on how nice his regiment is, and if circumstances allow). The ultimate problem with a motive prosthesis in that "area" is that it either has to accomodate the functions of the lower torso or some organs and orifices are going to have to move or be "redefined" (again, this is likely to be within the Imperium's tech base, but such surgery's quality and, more importantly, success will depend on the degree to which access and care is given).

Given the amount of toxic material that comes out of that region, the likelihood for infection even if one is given a prosthesis is going to be ridiculously high, and that's some meds that could have gone to other troops, so you've just created a supply drain. Further, unless said Guardsman is inventive, you're going to have to provide for his reshuffled organs in some manner, and unless your entire squad, regiment, or quartermaster staff pitches in, your mate's probably going to be a gonner as far as that's concerned. And then maintenance...unless it's a peggie, you're up the proverbial creek unless you're in constant contact with someone who knows what they're doing (not unlikely, but then it'll be a concern when you least expect it).

Anyways...Space Marines have the luxury of being Important (and secondly, they have that wankish constitution that allows them to survive such a thing). A Guardsman lucky enough to survive a leg and partial pelvis being blown off (and not be in shock and probably ignored in battlefield triage) is more likely to hobble through life on a nonmotive prosthetic (that isn't custom-fit, most likely, raising yet more medical concerns), be executed, or be "retired" (all with attendant bowel issues) than to get a prosthetic leg and pelvis (no gizmo beyond something to deal with liquid waste, if that's even necessary) and a "cleaned up" excretory system (and a complimentary testosterone gland to replace one's lost bitz).

Wiseman
31-08-2005, 10:47
well if i ever suffer a wound like that, slaanesh better be ready to adopt me so i can be returned to full combat readyness;)

Aun'aart'al
31-08-2005, 19:38
I'll let you hold onto that fantasy :rolleyes: lol

Wiseman
01-09-2005, 05:42
not like you have much choice on the matter do you Aun'aart'al!:rolleyes:

Aun'aart'al
01-09-2005, 05:45
well I could just state my opinion on it, AaMoF ;)

Wiseman
01-09-2005, 06:22
You could, but that still wouldnt effect me if i clicked ignore user;)

Iuris
01-09-2005, 07:47
well if i ever suffer a wound like that, slaanesh better be ready to adopt me so i can be returned to full combat readyness

I'm sure you'll be provided with a huuuge tentacle or crab claw to replace lost extremities... Probably with several eyes and mouths on it...

Brimstone
01-09-2005, 08:07
This is rapidly turning into a spam thread.

diddimz and Aun'aart'al if you wish to spam subscribe and do it in the wastes, otherwise you'll earn yourselves strikes.

Sir_Lunchalot
01-09-2005, 16:38
unless the Guardsman was REALLY important, my guess is noreplacement for him. Officers would have a chance, if it was convenient, but normal grunts? most likely to be loaned the sergeant/lieutennant/commissar's bolt pistol with one round in it. really, why go through all that work and upkeep to replace one guardsman. it's easier to get a new body than to repair an old one.

Space Marines are a different story. first of, if they're chemically castrated they'd still use the same bits to produce testosterone, there are different types of cells that make sperm. My guess is, since they're castrated anyways, they'd simply get a mechanical bit functional enough to allow them to use the lavatory, and an artificial gland to secrete testosterone in proper ammounts. :chrome:

Flame Boy
01-09-2005, 19:23
It's an interesting thought... I'd imagine it also depends a lot on what armed force you serve in...It's the genral consensus that it's mostly space marines and imperial guard officers that would get attention, but I would imagine for example, many Space Marines might eventually be retired from some chapters, but those with close links to the Adeptus Mechanicus like the Iron Hands would probably see such an unpleasant situation as a trial to overcome.

In the end, Colonel Ironsides might get sufficient replacement parts to get back into combat, with rudimentary bionics except where it is totally imperative to have more advanced systems installed. However, if enough effort is put into the operation, I'm sure he'd be happy with the result other than the slight inconvenience of going "clunk" every time he sat down... However, I'm sure the maintenance would be a nightmare... He'd need his own attendent to help lubricate and maintain his bionics if the damage was that severe, or he might risk locking up in a battle.... not helpful.

As a soldier, however, I'd imagine if he gets his manhood blow off, they are only going to replace it with a small tap and perhaps gladular implants if he's lucky. regardless of his rank, he's part of the Imperial Guard/Random Space Marine Chapter and his duty is to die for the Emperor above all other concerns.

Mikko
01-09-2005, 19:28
As a soldier, however, I'd imagine if he gets his manhood blow off, they are only going to replace it with a small tap and perhaps gladular implants if he's lucky.

Words cannot express my, uh, gratitude over that particular mental image. Gah.

Flame Boy
01-09-2005, 20:06

Words cannot express my, uh, gratitude over that particular mental image. Gah.

Well, I didn't exactly mean a silver-plated bathroom fitting, but you get the point. I would imagine most replacements in that region would be mostly fuctional rather than aesthetic.

Aun'aart'al
01-09-2005, 21:46
Well, I didn't exactly mean a silver-plated bathroom fitting, but you get the point. I would imagine most replacements in that region would be mostly fuctional rather than aesthetic.

.. and certainly not to impress the locally garrisoned Sisters of Battle army, either! :p :rolleyes: lol

Wiseman
01-09-2005, 23:51

with the tap, would you be able to turn it on and off as you please?

Aun'aart'al
02-09-2005, 00:26
ok this is just getting wierd lol

Brimstone
02-09-2005, 05:14
ok this is just getting wierd lol

And a waste of forum space.

I debated wasting this thread but instead I'm just going to close it.

If anybody wants to start threads like this in the future, don't. :rolleyes:

Thread Closed.