PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Choirs

Shibboleth
14-09-2007, 06:16
It's not unheard of for a psychic choir to suddenly explode if they become corrupted by chaos, but does this mean chaos can't have their own choirs? :evilgrin:

If not what would they use them for?
I was thinking maybe for creating kinds of forcefields, summoning warp rifts/daemons, mind control of entire populations, etc? or must this all be done by bloodshed in battle, actual-death sacrifices, and so on... :confused:

DantesInferno
14-09-2007, 06:32
It's not unheard of for a psychic choir to suddenly explode if they become corrupted by chaos, but does this mean chaos can't have their own choirs? :evilgrin:

A psychic choir presumably doesn't exactly need to be corrupted by chaos to explode: it can probably just be a warp-related accident to do with the amounts of power they're channelling. I wouldn't necessarily describe that as "Chaos corruption" per se. Having said that, we don't have many concrete background examples (I assume you have in mind the event mentioned in WD before the 13th Black Crusade?).

If not what would they use them for?
I was thinking maybe for creating kinds of forcefields, summoning warp rifts/daemons, mind control of entire populations, etc? or must this all be done by bloodshed in battle, actual-death sacrifices, and so on... :confused:

Yeah, sure, all of the above. There are plenty of examples of Sorcerors setting up prayer gangs of cultists to summon together their psychic potential for all sorts of ends. Sacrifices seem to be favoured if possible (they presumably heighten the psychic power being drawn to the area), but they don't seem at all necessary.

Shibboleth
14-09-2007, 08:38
A psychic choir presumably doesn't exactly need to be corrupted by chaos to explode: it can probably just be a warp-related accident to do with the amounts of power they're channelling. I wouldn't necessarily describe that as "Chaos corruption" per se. Having said that, we don't have many concrete background examples (I assume you have in mind the event mentioned in WD before the 13th Black Crusade?). It also happened at Medusa V, I think, but thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, sure, all of the above. There are plenty of examples of Sorcerors setting up prayer gangs of cultists to summon together their psychic potential for all sorts of ends. Sacrifices seem to be favoured if possible (they presumably heighten the psychic power being drawn to the area), but they don't seem at all necessary.I was thinking of something more of a permanent fixture, like a dedicated room in a Fortress or Tower or something, rather than an on the spot kind of ceremony.
I would also think it would likely involve actual Psychers and/or Sorcerers rather than just ordinary Cultists, but from what you say it wouldn't seem too unlikely...?

Could a choir, say, create an environment where a Greater Daemon could take up permanent residence in the physical realm, staying within their psychic range for as long as the choir is maintained?

DantesInferno
14-09-2007, 10:35
I was thinking of something more of a permanent fixture, like a dedicated room in a Fortress or Tower or something, rather than an on the spot kind of ceremony.
I would also think it would likely involve actual Psychers and/or Sorcerers rather than just ordinary Cultists, but from what you say it wouldn't seem too unlikely...?

Yep, sure. The most likely reason that standard ceremonies with normal Cultists work is that the latent, subconscious psychic power of the Cultists is channelled into the warp to create the desired effects. If you have actual psykers with conscious powers, I'd imagine that you'd be able to produce more impressive effects. And having the ceremony as prepared and planned is presumably more likely to enable people to use their psychic power effectively, so you'll likewise be able to get better effects than if you just started the ceremony all at once.

I might as well include the caveat that we don't actually know how these sorts of ceremonies work and that this is merely my best explanation of how things could work. Others might be inclined to give a much more prominent role to the whims of the gods, but I'm a tad more sceptical about that. Where possible I prefer to explain these sorts of effects as the results of psychic power, deliberate or not.

Could a choir, say, create an environment where a Greater Daemon could take up permanent residence in the physical realm, staying within their psychic range for as long as the choir is maintained?

Yep, I can't see why not. It's just like what happens in the Eye of Terror, just on a (much much) smaller scale. You'd need a pretty impressive choir to power a Greater Daemon, but it's pretty hard to put an exact number on it. At a rough guess, I'd suggest maybe 15 trained psychers, 50 acolytes or 200 standard cultists, although I freely admit I have absolutely no way to back up these numbers.

Feor
14-09-2007, 11:24
Thinking of starting up your own Astronomicon? :p

For some interesting insight into what happens when a bunch of Psychers get together, read the novel Blind. Ms. Calpurnia spends the whole novel inside the Tower of the Astropaths, and so gets some good insight on their workings.

Shibboleth
14-09-2007, 12:20
Cool, thanks guys. All the better to craft my fluff ...Bael'bek be praised. :evilgrin:
...and I didn't realise Blind was around that subject, cool.

schoon
15-09-2007, 01:32
It would also be very useful to you to read Matthew Farrer's Blind, whose setting is a large Astropathic station in the Hydraphur system.

According to his interpretation, the psykers have "minders" with pistols whose only purpose is to "act" if there's any hint of corruption, seeing as how one corrupted psyker could easily cascade if not stopped quickly.