PDA

View Full Version : The emperors holy pinny

mcl
14-09-2007, 08:53
One of the more fascinating and irritating aspects of modelling space marines/wombles is the paraphernalia that goes with them. Thus we have items that look like:

The emperors holy nunchuks
Various holy pinnys, drapes, tea-towels and mini-skirts

However try as I might (and believe me I have looked), I cannot find official documentation that provides some kind of guidance on these things.

Can someone kind soul point me in the right direction? Lacking official names has the inquisition breathing down my neck. Apparently the emperor does not have a mini-skirt or pinny.

Shibboleth
14-09-2007, 10:21
...However try as I might (and believe me I have looked), I cannot find official documentation that provides some kind of guidance on these things.Then Jervis has failed. ;)

The emperors holy nunchuksThis is a parchment or scroll rolled onto a metal rod.

Various holy pinnys,Honour badges, the various forms being described in the 2nd ed. Codex: Ultramarines.
Common ones on the sprue are:
- Skulls, known as the 'Iron Skull' awarded for Leadership, given to sergeants, etc.
- Laurel wreaths are called 'Imperial Laurels' and awarded for "Acts of valour leading to great victory". All Standard Bearers must possess this award.
- 'Purity Seals' are the wax and parchment blessings from the Chaplain. They can sometimes be permanently fixed and made from 'solid electrum'.
- The winged skull is 'The Imperialis' worn by loyalists during the heresy and now represents the honour of righteous victory.
- The square sided cross is the 'Crux Terminatus' worn by Veterans as a symbol of rank. It's used to represent Terminator Honours in the rules.
Large stone versions are worn on Terminator's left shoulder, each containing a piece of the armour worn by the Emperor during his fight with Horus, but smaller versions are also worn in other places, so they're on the sprue...

drapes, tea-towels and mini-skirts I'd call them Robes, Capes, Tabards, Loin Cloths, Aprons, etc. ;)

mcl
14-09-2007, 10:52
Thanks for that.

I had figured out most of the things on your list - stuff like purity seals, skulls, etc are quite well documented.

It is the pinnies and nunchuks in particular that had me foxed.

And apologies for the 'pinny' word. I just looked it up and apparently it is a 19th century word. Obviously the dictionary authors havent spent any time in NE England (Heh waiting for the obvious baiting from other Brits at this point :p ).

A pinny is an apron in effect.

So the emperors holy nunchuk is in fact a scroll. Ahah! :D

And here's me thinking it might be some kind of funky power weapon wielded by the cult of Lee. Oh well.

El_Phen
14-09-2007, 11:16
So the emperors holy nunchuk is in fact a scroll. Ahah!

Welcome to my signature. Though it does sound like a line from Turn Signals on a Land Raider.

mcl
14-09-2007, 11:33
Excellent! Fame at last! ;)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-09-2007, 14:07
Pinny is short for Pinafore, a style of apron.