PDA

View Full Version : Lupercal, for the Warmaster

Griffin
14-09-2007, 08:16
After reading the Horus Heresy novels, I googled the term "Lupercal" - this is what I turned up.

"
The Feast of Lubercus

The first interpretation has this celebration originating as a pagan tradition in the third century. During this time hordes of hungry wolves roamed outside of Rome where shepherds kept their flocks. The God Lupercus, was said to watch over the shepherds and their flocks and keep them from the wolves. Every February the Romans celebrated a feast called Lupercalia to honor Lupercus so that no harm would come to the shepherds and their flocks. Also during Lupercalia, but in honor of the goddess Juno Februata, the names of young women were put into a box and names were drawn by lot. The boys and girls who were matched would be considered partners for the year, which began in March. This celebration continued long after wolves were a problem to Rome."

Interesting he ? The wolf obvious is the legion simbol of the Luna Wolves, what I find interesting is that in this case It would be the legion roaming the Universe, and the People praying for deliverence from them - the ones they are supposed to protect. So it's a nice contrast.

Legion = Wolves
They protect the Imperium
The Imperium prays for protection from them.

Has anybody else found something similiar for the other legions ?

pookie
14-09-2007, 11:29
very intresting, the biggest and think mos well known is the similaraties with the missing roman legions and the missing SM Legions. GW often use ancient history for there names and ideas, Lion El Johnson iirc was a Irish poet?

Brother Enok
14-09-2007, 11:53
Yeah, he died from falling off a bar stool. So I guess the real Lion El Johnson died from a fall.

Erebus26
14-09-2007, 12:52
Well Horus is an ancient egyptian god, and he had four sons - aka the mournival in the HH novels! :D

Griffin
14-09-2007, 14:52
True enough - I just found it interesting that GW draws on so many sources - the Horus god inspiration is reasonably obvious, I did expect something like the feastival though. Makes you wonder if they really did this much research.

pookie
14-09-2007, 15:02
thers dozens of 'real' world things they use, makes me wonder how much the do make up of there own... lol, never knew the Lion fell off a stool! lol!

Shrapnel
14-09-2007, 17:42
ahriman - the 'bad guy' of zoro astrianism.

Sabbad
14-09-2007, 17:54
Ahriman is one (of many) Hebrew names for Satan. Abaddon is another.

Brother Enok
14-09-2007, 18:18
Abaddon is also a fallen angel in some literature, not the same one as Lucifer/Xion/ THE devil. the name means "Angel of the abyss"

The whole horus heresy is basically a mirror the biblical war in heaven with a few changes.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
14-09-2007, 18:19
Yeah, I guess those guys who write the fluff aren't us "unlearned" or idiotic as people rail at them for being.

Xandros
14-09-2007, 18:25
Has anybody else found something similiar for the other legions ?

Yes. As you may know the Thousand Sons are fashioned after ancient egyptian culture. The twist here is that they have become the chaos that the egyptians dreaded so much, symbolised by the ur-serpent encircling the world, being the boundary of ordered creation that was the pharaos kingdom.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Richter Kless
14-09-2007, 18:51
The poët on which Lion El Johnson's name is based, wrote a poem with the title 'Dark Angels'
Inquisitor Karamazov is named after the Russian book, The Brothers Karamazov, which contains a piece called 'The Grand Inquisitor'
Inquisitor Lord Torquemada Coteaz is based on the Spanish Inquisitor, Tomás de Torquemada.

GW sure has done it's research

Erebus26
14-09-2007, 19:29
Well my beloved Erebus was the son of the primordial god Chaos in Greek Mythology. According to the ancient greeks Chaos was the personification of darkness and shadow that covered the corners of the world.

Daemonslave
14-09-2007, 22:46
Lupercal is actually the name of the cave where a she-wolf looked after the children Romulus and Remus, the founders of the Roman Empire.

@Erebus26, regarding your namesake, Erebus is also a level of hell, where the souls of those dead or dying stayed until they could be ferried to Hell proper (sound familiar?).

Londinium
15-09-2007, 00:46
Theres also a Roman festival, named the Lupercalia, which was celebrated to avert evil spirits and purify the city, releasing health and fertility. Shame Horus couldn't avert evil spirits :P

swordwind
15-09-2007, 00:54
The Night Lords are more or less Apocalypse Now in space.

Griffin
17-09-2007, 11:10
Anything else a bit more shaky ?

biggreengribbly
17-09-2007, 13:18
If I remember correctly from a conversation I had a few months back,

Astartes is a general Hebrew term for 'false-god', with the possibility of being feminine.

and Macharius is ancient greek for 'happy'

Erebus26
17-09-2007, 13:27
Abaddon means Angel of the Abyss.

Iracundus
17-09-2007, 13:39
Random off the cuff: Baal, god worshipped by Carthage. Liked firstborn child sacrifice, sarcrificed by placing baby on bronze hands of the god's statue, then somehow the child falling into the flames lit at the base of the statue.

Regarding the Thousand Sons, it's interesting that someone suggests the relation of their symbol to the Egyptian Apophis serpent. However given the positioning of that fiery serpent, it looks more likely that it is a reference to the Ouroboros, particularly if one looks at the original Realms of Chaos book and its explanation of the various symbolism of the Chaos gods.

40K is riddled with borrowing from mythology, history, etc... However there's quite a difference between borrowing for fluff and ability to write good rules or be a good game designer.

Turanos
17-09-2007, 14:22
The word "Lupercal" itself also means the cave in which Romulus and Remus, the mythical twin sons who supposedly founded Rome, were raised by wolves.

pookie
17-09-2007, 15:57
Lupercal is actually the name of the cave where a she-wolf looked after the children Romulus and Remus, the founders of the Roman Empire.

The word "Lupercal" itself also means the cave in which Romulus and Remus, the mythical twin sons who supposedly founded Rome, were raised by wolves.

:rolleyes:

biggreengribbly
18-09-2007, 00:14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astarte

it seems I was close.

Actually a Specific god.

A god of Sexuality, Fertility and War.

...explains the Emperors children doesn't it. ;)