PDA

View Full Version : Malcador and Macharius tanks

CELS
14-09-2007, 12:56
Quick question; how common are Malcador and Macharius tanks supposed to be? Oh, and how tough are they compared to Leman Russ and Baneblade tanks? Do they both count as super heavies?

I'm just wondering if Forgeworld's latest toys have changed the image of the armoured forces of the Imperial Guard drastically, or if the new tanks are very rare, just like the Baneblades and Shadowswords. Could there be entire companies of Malcadors/Macharius tanks? Regiments, even?

Dio´Ra
14-09-2007, 15:39
well we cant say much about the malcador, but the macharius is referred to as ´second generation´ Baneblades. the macharius is more common the ancient baneblade due not requiring ancient STC data to produce. Thus more forge worlds can produce the macharius then the baneblade. But the macharius is nowhere as powerfull as a Baneblade :), but in my opinion better looking :p

another excuse why we see the old macharius showing up is that Mars has now allowed the production data to be used on other forge worlds. As the first machariuses were created and produced only on forge world Lucius, the first machariuses were produced for the DKoK in 852.M41. By now more IG regiments have machariuses.

Easy E
14-09-2007, 15:58
Malcador are very common... in PDF's and holed up in storage all over the galaxy. Essentially, they were a pre-cursor to the Leman Russ/Demolishers we see in 40K today. However, they weren't simply tossed, but moth balled instead. Hence, why there are so many on Vraks. They were essentially put in storage in case they were needed (IIRC). So the Malcador, both styles; were replaced by modern Leman Russ and variants.

RexTalon
14-09-2007, 18:07
well we cant say much about the malcador, but the macharius is referred to as ´second generation´ Baneblades. the macharius is more common the ancient baneblade due not requiring ancient STC data to produce. Thus more forge worlds can produce the macharius then the baneblade.

I'm sorry, but you're kind of wrong about that. The Macharius was put together using existing STCs of Baneblade tanks. The Techpriest who put it together used existing STCs and Baneblade STCs to engineer the final product. He then petitioned Mars for the rights to produce the tank on his Forge World, Lucius.

His petition was answered (I think he ended up dead, just before or after this. I can't remember and I'm a little far from my reference material just now) and his FW was given the right to produce the tanks. They needed a smaller tank that used less resources and was faster to produce yet durable, that's why he pursued it to begin with.

Since they don't require as many resources, you could argue that they would be more numerous, but since they're newly acquired, you could similarly argue that they would be less numerous.

However, Dio is correct in saying that many FW now have the rights to produce the tank, making them widely available. There is no reason one couldn't be in a given army.

As far as the Malcador, it's older tech and I would expect to see less of them unless it was a munitorium planet. No FW in it's right mind would produce such a vehicle if it had the right to produce something newer and, in my opinion, better.

I'm a bit biased though, I own a Macharius and I absolutely LOVE the look of it.

CELS
14-09-2007, 22:49
Hmm... so, for once, the older tank is actually worse than the new tank? Heh, not bad. Thanks for the info, everyone!

Dio´Ra
15-09-2007, 01:54
Hmm... so, for once, the older tank is actually worse than the new tank? Heh, not bad. Thanks for the info, everyone!

well actually the older baneblade is still better then the newer macharius :p

CELS
15-09-2007, 11:02
Well, yeah, but the Malcador is still worse than the Leman Russ, right? (Hence "for once") :)

Hellebore
15-09-2007, 11:07
I don't know - it sacrifices some armour to be more resilient (ruleswise it has 2 structure points, but only armour 13 on the front). It also has a craptin more weapons than your standard LR.

You can check out their rules on the FW website.

Hellebore

CELS
15-09-2007, 11:53
Hmmn... having read the background on the FW website (thanks, Hellebore), I don't see why one would call it a pre-cursor to the Leman Russ, when FW merely says that it "maybe" pre-dates the Leman Russ. It just seems to be a completely different tank, somewhere between a Leman Russ and a Macharius. They don't seem particularly rare either, which is good!

Easy E
16-09-2007, 18:43
However, the Malcador has a much worse engine/propulsion system then a Leman Russ. That makes them less than admirable for the Blitzkreig attacks and armored spearheads that the Leman Russ is used in.

In addition, the turret allows for a better range of fire than the Malcador's limited traverse battle cannon or Demolisher cannon.

The Leman could clearly out manuever the Malcador and then out gun it at range.

Edit: I can't belive I'm even thinking this much about it. I just like the idea that the Imperium does improve its arsenal on occasion.

CELS
17-09-2007, 01:20
I'm afraid that's Heresy, Easy E. Come with me and I'll administer the Emperor's Forgiveness... *starts looking for his hand flamer*

At any rate, it doesn't seem to work, because the Malcador dates back to the Heresy and the Leman Russ was already around by then. Although one does wonder if any tank existed in a previous incarnation before the Great Crusade... obviously, no one knew of Leman Russ back then, and probably not Malcador either.

Ktotwf
17-09-2007, 01:27
What about the Baneblade? Is the Baneblade still produced at all? Or do they just use the Baneblades that already exist?

Easy E
17-09-2007, 10:19
At any rate, it doesn't seem to work, because the Malcador dates back to the Heresy and the Leman Russ was already around by then. Although one does wonder if any tank existed in a previous incarnation before the Great Crusade... obviously, no one knew of Leman Russ back then, and probably not Malcador either.

Well, I guess there is that. So much for righteous progress in the name of the Machine God.

Iracundus
17-09-2007, 10:22
The Imperium's R&D is often one step forward two steps backward. Though it sometimes improves its technology, often at the same time it forgets some other more vital piece. Example is from BFG. They rediscover how to make "super fired plasma weaponry" giving longer range, leading to the creation of the Tyrant class cruiser. However they also forget how to make Grand Cruiser (bit like souped up battlecruiser) scale engines, leading to the phasing out of grand cruisers.

Baneblades are still produced. Though its background suggests production numbers are dropping, and that once entire regiments might have lots of Baneblades. In the current 40K era, the largest formation of Baneblades that is assigned around is company size (3 tanks).