PDA

View Full Version : Building Power Armour

Mother_Mercy
30-08-2005, 12:10
Now, I've seen on teh Internets some madman building his own Space Marine armour (One Blood Angels suit, one Dark Angels and one Emperor's Children, IIRC). Does anyone know who I am talking about, and if so, do you remember the URL to the forum where he had posted the images?

Wiseman
30-08-2005, 12:29
i know what ya talking bout and ive seen pics of ultramarine power armour, but i dont know the links off hand

sigur
30-08-2005, 12:34
here you go (http://www.40kforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=620) old chap.

mirakel_jocke
30-08-2005, 14:00
That's one crazy man... Nice work of him though :p

@Sigur: Thanks for putting that link up.

/Mirakel_Jocke

Mother_Mercy
30-08-2005, 14:29
here you go (http://www.40kforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=620) old chap.

Yay. Thanks.

Mr.terminatorbob
30-08-2005, 14:50
he needs a life

Lord-Warlock
30-08-2005, 14:58
Who needs a life when he's got power armour?

Seriously, a wee bit extreme and a bit too cartoony for my tastes, but hey...

night2501
30-08-2005, 17:19
come on thatīs horrible, the proportions are just wrong...he should at least put some plataform in the foots so thething looks right, and the arms looks incredible short, an extension is needed there too...well at least I have recognise hi did a great effort and mi congratulations to him...
if you wanīt to see really well done armours look for the bubblegum crisis armour, they did real size ones for the 80 show, and they look incredible

Flame Boy
30-08-2005, 18:12
The problem being that the wearer of the suit doesn't exaclty have the proportions of a space marine, and if you looks at the various artwork over the years that's better than some of the marine drawings I've seen... They do look a bit S***t (yes, I said the space dwarf word, sorry), but I suppose if the armour isn't paper-thin, that would happen naturally, as he can make the arms proportionally longer to compensate...

warlordgrubnatz
30-08-2005, 18:33
wow......................... i need a lye down

Luke
30-08-2005, 18:48
heh, theyre ok i guess, better than some of the crap that turns up at events at any rate. obviously yeah, the proportions of a space marine are not acurate. certainly not comparable to your average joe bloggs. remember they are super human warriors, looking not dissimilar to many of the largest pro-wrestlers such as the rock and goldberg. big triangular mesomorphs, the armour accordingly is fitted as such.

the only problem i can see with that dudes suits is that the knees maybe could come up higher, that at least would add a bit more proportion to them.

methoderik
30-08-2005, 19:39
I think they are incredible! Superb modeling skills to say the least.

blood angel
30-08-2005, 20:41
I am the guy in the death company suit. (go figure) They were made directly to scale from the figures.

Mother_Mercy
30-08-2005, 22:00
....i need a lye down
Wouldn't that be sort of hazardous (lye=highly corrosive substance)?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

Oliver
30-08-2005, 22:57
They are very nice suits but for $1000* each for materials rather expensive.

*he says two people are footing the bill for materils of $1500 each so thats $3000 for all 3 suits so $1000 each.

blood angel
31-08-2005, 01:09
Yeah, that was just to build getting a really good deal on some of the materials and having access to some serious industrial equipment suited for the job.

FutureEmperor
31-08-2005, 05:49
i think it would be hilarious to show up at a tourney dressed up in one of those suits with an army to match...

Wiseman
31-08-2005, 09:38
our school disco was on tonight, we had to dress up as something fantasy, or sci fi, i wish i owned one of them now, imagine trying to dance in it!

Lord of ???
31-08-2005, 11:43
The problem with the mini vs real life is that the Minis are out of proportion to what a person would ever be like.

Makes creating a suit for anyone who is not a steroid muncher very hard.

My only critique on the whole thing is the paint job it could've been done better by taking a bit more time. Still a very very awesome project to pull off.

blood angel
31-08-2005, 13:19
Yeah, that was just to build getting a really good deal on some of the materials and having access to some serious industrial equipment suited for the job.

I'll prolly bring the power sword to the next one.

Playing in the suits would be damn near impossible. Of the 3, I am the only one who actually plays warhammer, heh. I will say that Jchas has really put a lot of effort into doing what many say couldn't be done.

Any problems that some may have with the paint job is more than likely due to the camera. Of course they don't have 4 layers of highlights - that stuff looks great on figures but really crappy on things that are life size.

Luke
31-08-2005, 13:21
Makes creating a suit for anyone who is not a steroid muncher very hard.

in all fairness, astartes power arour isnt intended for anyone who isnt a steroid muncher.

jchas26
31-08-2005, 14:19
hey its me the guy without a life(kind childish comment BTW, after all we are all posting on game boards and when you break it down playing with toys ;) )!
lets settle a few assumptions.
First off thanks for the critiques/complements I appreciate them, they help me get better at things. These were the first costumes I have ever made.
I am an artist, this was an art project for me, not an obsession with a game.
The parts can be laid out on the figures I scanned and fit exactly except where modifications had to be made to house a real person(steroids or not) When engineering these I discovered a human would have to have an extra 12" or so on his legs and an extra 10" or so in his crotch and armits to fit into armor made to the specs of the figs. What is screwing up your perception is that you are no used to seeing SM just standing around, you are accustomed to the familiar poses. I did take a few liberties with some details but not much and only when it looked bad to translate it into a 6'+ suit. They do have 3" platforms on the soles so I did make them as tall as functionality would permit. Since our knee joints are not changeable I had to work around that and I gots some stumpy legs! My goal was to make a replica of a fig painted not a realistic suit so the paint is not so detailed but admittidly the pics do not do it justice. To expect a suit that is 100% accurate and still want to be in it for more than 2 seconds however is just plain rediculous. Again, thanks for the comments
J

lapis_lazuli
01-09-2005, 01:20
Wow... just wow... :eek:

Imagine a lifesize Carnifex costume! :evilgrin:

Philip S
01-09-2005, 02:25
First off thanks for the critiques/complements I appreciate them, they help me get better at things. These were the first costumes I have ever made.
And very nice they are too!

The parts can be laid out on the figures I scanned and fit exactly except where modifications had to be made to house a real person(steroids or not) When engineering these I discovered a human would have to have an extra 12" or so on his legs and an extra 10" or so in his crotch and armits to fit into armor made to the specs of the figs.
I was looking at the pics, and obviously your can't change them now, but I was thinking about the leg length and I had an idea, not sure how feasible it would be;

Plaster stilts! (perhaps your next project or a retro-fit)

I don't know if you know them;

http://www.guape.cz/img/s10.jpg

http://www.guape.cz/cz/s10.php

You can get them shorter, and the bulk of the silt could be hidden in the lower leg armour. I have no idea how you would build a functioning foot onto this but I imagine it would be fun trying! Getting through door may be a problem too :p

If you put the top of the shin armour to knee hight it may visually hide the 'short thigh' look.

Anyway, great fun to see :)

Philip