PDA

View Full Version : Marine Chapter Foundings

Shas'o'Fior
30-08-2005, 14:04
My question is: How exactly is a founding like? Does it originally compose of 'extra' marines taken from the chapters that are overfilling with recruits? or is it 1000 newly selected 'qualifies-to-be-a-marine' people from death worlds starting their 'process-of-being-a-space-marine' simultaniously?

Helicon_One
30-08-2005, 14:50
I don't think new Foundings are made up of spare Marines being thrown together as a new Chapter... it would be geneseed from existing Chapters being implanted into new recruits. It wouldn't have to be 1000 all at once, either, a newly founded chapter could only have a few dozen Marines to begin with, to lay the groundwork (assembling a fleet, construction of the fortress monastery, armouries and workshops, implementation of training routines, etc) while the chapter grows to full strength. I can certainly picture Marines from existing Chapters being attached to a new founding to assist and advise during this period, but they would return to their own chapter once their task was completed.

Tim

Str10_hurts
30-08-2005, 15:32
I thought a commander or other higher ranking officer from the index astarters is asked to create a new chapter (by highlords of terra?).

He'll probably get all the personel he needs and creates it from scrap under the supervision an help of another chapter.

Some data I found was in the uriel ventris series. the one with the nids.

starlight
30-08-2005, 15:38
One of the books (an IA?) said that it took 55 years from start to battle ready. Plenty of time to prep.