PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Tzeentch Mortals

Doomhawk
12-04-2005, 02:27
Well, technically it's not a Mortals army list, it's actually Archaon's Horde.
This is a basic plan for what else I'm going to buy for my Chaos army (I've got a little over 2,000 points right now, but I really don't like the way my army works, so this is rebuilding it almost from the ground up).

Chaos Lord General, Mark of Tzeentch, Halberd, Shield, 2 Dispel Scrolls, Spell Familiar, Armor of Damnation 454

16 Chaos Warriors w/shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command 260

16 Chaos Warriors w/shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full Command 260

25 Marauders w/shields, light armor, full command 175

25 Marauders w/great weapons, full command 175

7 Marauder Horsemen w/flails, throwing axes 133

7 Marauder Horsemen w/flails, throwing axes 133

6 Warhounds 36

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

8 Flayerkin Wallcreeper 126

Total: 1998 pts
Models in Army: 139
Power Dice: 8
Dispel Dice: 4

The Chaos Lord goes with one of the Marauder units. It would be better to equip him with a Great Weapon, but I've got a model I really like who's carrying a halberd, so... anyway, I'll probably get around to making a guy with a great weapon sooner or later.
Like I said, I'm rebuilding my army almost from the ground up, so I've got literally no experience with a list like this. Therefore, you can treat the entire above list as if it had a question mark after it. On the one hand, I really like the high model count and the large numbers of fast units and scouts, but on the other hand I don't have as much magic as a Tzeentch army usually would and I'm lacking in cavalry-killers. I can add more magic easily (I've got lots of Tzeentch champion minis) and a Hellcannon could ease my woes against heavy cavalry, but neither of those things made it into this particular list.
I've got a few questions in particular for more experienced players:

Do Marauder Horsemen need command or anything? I've got very little experience with fast cavalry.
I've had underwhelming experiences with non-Chosen Chaos Warriors, and so I'd like to make both the above units into Chosen, but I'm not sure where to take the points from. I'm thinking that maybe with the Horsemen and Flayerkin, I've got enough stuff to distract and harass my enemy, so I could drop the Warhounds and get points from there, but I'm not sure.
Are there any models for Flayerkin? I've looked around on the GW online store and I can't find any.

Thanks to everyone who reads this!

EDIT: Forgot to give the Flayerkin Wallcreepers.

User Name
12-04-2005, 03:15
I am guessing you wanted an Archeons hord for the flayerkin?

This list is well... different. It dose not look like it has much hard hitting power. The warriors should definatly be chosen. Maby trade one of them for a unit of 6 chosen knights

The marauder horsemen need to only be 5 or 6 models with flails and a musician

Artemis_Quinn
12-04-2005, 18:52
I'm thinking you need to add a few more characters to the army. This will help you to both dispel and cast magic (because lets face it...... one lord isn't going to ensure you a descent number of dispel dice by himself), plus, it will make the list feel more...... Tzeentchy(?). Also, if you do plan to take out any models to make units chosen I would suggest that you take those from either the flayerkin or the horsemen because warhounds aren't even worth getting rid of for points. Plus, I have to say that I'm one of the biggest fans of warhounds ever! They're well worth their measly 6 points :D

Kayin
12-04-2005, 19:05
As great as these warhounds may be, that many units could be dangerous. They could be a serious problem for panicing your army. All an opponent would have to do is take out one unit in a round of shooting and your lines could break. Otherwise I like the speed of it, just be carefull, and keep your general right in with your best troops.

Doomhawk
12-04-2005, 21:35
Thanks for the comments, you guys caught a lot of things I forgot or simply didn't realize. How's this look now?

Chaos Lord General, Mark of Tzeentch, Halberd, Shield, Power Familiar, Armor of Damnation 439

Exalted Champion Great Weapon, Shield, Spell Familiar, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch 266

16 Chosen Chaos Warriors w/shields, Mark of Tzeentch, full command, War Banner 377

25 Marauders w/shields, light armor, full command 175

25 Marauders w/great weapons, full command 175

6 Marauder Horsemen w/flails, throwing axes, musician 121

6 Marauder Horsemen w/flails, throwing axes, musician 121

6 Warhounds 36

6 Warhounds 36

Total: 1998
Models in Army: 108
Power Dice: 10
Dispel Dice: 6

I took out several of the Warhounds, cut down the size of the Horsemen, and removed one of the Warrior units (the points for it just weren't working out). That gave me enough breathing room for the Chosen upgrade on the other unit, plus an Exalted Champion on a disc, which boosts my magic power and adds a little more oomph to my harassing forces (horsemen, hounds, flayerkin, and now the guy on a disc too). That leaves me with three blocks of infantry for the backbone of my force, and two of those are Marauders, so I'm kinda iffy about that... maybe drop the second unit of Marauders and the Exalted Champion for another unit of Chosen Warriors and a bare-bones Aspiring Champion.
Oh, and are Throwing Axes useful on the horsemen? I don't have enough throwing axes to have much of an impact, or even cause Panic tests, so it seems like I might as well drop them. Perhaps they'd be better in a list that had more shooting (which is to say, not a Chaos army).

User Name
13-04-2005, 01:58
Yes I would recomend droping the axes since you will want to use the horsmen as flankers you could probably get another units of hounds for the points

PelsBoble
14-04-2005, 17:17
I guess in some cases the axes coulb be nice to have. Since they can shoot in a 360 degree angle. But i would drop them for this army.

Also dont you think its a bit risky having that chaos lord in a block of marauders. If a unit manages to break the marauder unit its alot of points going down.