PDA

View Full Version : VASSAL.. 40k online

Spleendokta
16-09-2007, 05:44
Did a search and found nothing so figured I would toss this out here for anyone interested in playing 40k 'online'. This is not DOW, its the actual table top game played on the PC.. and online! So if you US folks ever wanted to give one of those Euro powergamers a beat down... heres your chance. hehe ;)

Works on any PC, just need to download the Vassal program found here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

Then download the 40k mod found here:

http://www.100uploads.com/ht/files/082P3MX0XIIN/40KMod_vrs33

(ver 3.3 is the current as far as I now)

Been playing this for about a month now. Takes about a hour to get use to the controls, but its not a perfect system and no where near table top quality, its pretty damn nice for what it can do.

Peace.

(edited) I'm guessing these are the creators of the 40k mod for Vassal in this thread... so props to them and read about what there updating next.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91765

Couple of Screenshots:

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vassal2tl0.png

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vassal1ki1.png

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vassal3lu0.png (this one shows more of the game controls)

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vassal4hi0.png (with some of the game templates used)

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vassal5wd4.png (IG vs Tau)

Jester Boy
16-09-2007, 06:01
Sounds interesting. Do you have any screen shots?

Spleendokta
16-09-2007, 06:38
Just took a couple of screenshots for ya. Just through out some quick troops for Marines and Eldar. Thats only the Map that I enlarged. Theres another section for templates, dice rolls, and chat window.

Spleendokta
16-09-2007, 09:13
Posted a few more screenshots by request.

The_Patriot
16-09-2007, 09:14
Does it have Sisters of Battle?

Jester Boy
16-09-2007, 09:18
Thanks for the SS. Might have to give it a go.

Spleendokta
16-09-2007, 09:30
Yeah its got every 40k race, just didnt feel like doing a screenshot for each race. :P Theres still a few units missing yet but they are slowing filling in all the missing things. The graphics are pretty basic, but hey its TT 40k online, im not complaining. :)

BTW, who ever the hell made this, I will love you long time.

elvinltl
16-09-2007, 10:32
Is this legal? Because to do that you need to actually programme all the 40k races units inside with all the rules... Can you like play 2 players and is there AI to fight with. Excellent way for beginners to test armies before purchasing them.

Honestly, it will be nice if GW invested to make a Tabletop computer game that mimics that of Heros of Might and Magic turn based fighting style. Just imagine the awesome graphics you can enjoy with Farseers casting spells and summoning of Demons. :D

Flip side it will undermine GW profits for minitures. Damm money faces!!!

Orwin
16-09-2007, 13:31
I couldn't care less if it's legal or not. This is promoting their game, they are probally happy with it. Downloading it right away.

Brother Gabriel
16-09-2007, 13:51
In my experience the random dice generator of this vassal thingie isnt so random at all. The graphic sucks and its very hard to guess distances at the table. Btw. you can cheat because there is a button which lets you measure distance without the opponent knowing it.
I didnt really like the vassal engine i have to say, but its good to test new army lists a little or fool around with some crazy idears.

elvinltl
16-09-2007, 15:18
The programme is rather primitive... I've dled it and tried it and almost everything must be drawn from scratch. I giggled when i saw a 12" ruler being created. :D

I thought the programme had every race unit pre-entered and the programme will handle the role of determining hitting, wounding and killing. It, however, is helpful nevertheless. :)

Bookwrak
16-09-2007, 15:30
Generally, I feel that the best way to ensure GW doesn't get mad and try and take away our toys is not to go posting about them on a high traffic message board.

The Guy
16-09-2007, 18:11
Sweet can you make other games for it?

Rioghan Murchadha
16-09-2007, 21:36
GW doesn't really have a leg to stand on to fight this. It contains no rules, the art is drawn by the author of the mod, not cribbed from GW work, no money is being made on it. You still need to own a copy of the 40k rules, and army books to play.

It doesn't devalue their product in any way. It's simply a way to, if you already own 40k, play with someone that's too far away to get a game with normally.

(Besides, people have been playing BFG with Vassal for ages.. ;)

sunhawk88
17-09-2007, 01:24
does it take doctrines and chapter trait into account?

Rioghan Murchadha
17-09-2007, 01:46
does it take doctrines and chapter trait into account?

No.. all it does is provide some badly drawn digital models, and a system whereby you can move them around a digital tabletop whilst randomly generating numbers, and chatting with your opponent. Your measuring tape is an actual image that you lay out on the digital table. You have to use the actual 40k rulebook/army books in order to play. Vassal doesn't handle any rules or army list stuff at all.. which is why I'm pretty sure it's safe legally.

Orwin
17-09-2007, 01:54
I spent the last 3 hours and a half to get in the 3rd turn of a 1k points BTs x Tau game...it's just too awkward for me....the idea is good, tough.

Shadow-BOT
17-09-2007, 02:13
I like the idea as a whole, but the engine really does suffer. I find that the best way to do it would be a more effective grid system, so you can have your measurements without that pesky ruler. It would also help if they had "packs" you could download that automatically make your army, so you don't spend hours making your own army units.

Takitron
17-09-2007, 03:06
little cyber wars (http://www.siegetower.com/littlecyberwars/)

I think its a rival. I havent used it, I know nothing about it...

Re: VASSAL
I'm going to download it and check it out... it might be fun for apoc if you can select units as a set :)

TheBigBadWolf
17-09-2007, 09:18
I think i will wait and play 40K Squad command on the DS. Turn based, online and 3D graphics no contest

Bookwrak
17-09-2007, 09:21
I think i will wait and play 40K Squad command on the DS. Turn based, online and 3D graphics no contest
You mean my DS is good for more than Phoenix Wright?

Can you introduce me to these people? Because I seem to be the only person within a 1000 km radius who plays.

LeeJerrum
13-12-2007, 13:06
I played a game with this Vassal last night.

AWESOME.

People can moan and bump about not generating rolls etc but I can pretty much guarantee this game will improve your tactical ability.

It isnt slower than a regular game by a long way. My first 1500pt game (the only one ive ever had) lasted 2 hours from start to finish.

I think we're going to be running an online tournament on http://www.heresy-online.net in the next couple of weeks. Possibly with prizes if anyone is interested.

Jez

Ianos
13-12-2007, 15:15
I cannot find the file in 100 uploads, it seems it has been removed....

Grazzy
13-12-2007, 17:28
Ive seen this before, and it looks great. I should really get it...

EmperorEternalXIX
13-12-2007, 18:05
I dislike this sort of thing. Just because, I want to support Warhammer 40k. I do that by buying GW stuff. Anything that hurts GW, I don't like. Call me a fanboy, or argue if you like, this is still too close to "Play the game without having to buy anything!" for my tastes.

That and, with the dozens of unique scenarioes that crop up in an average Warhammer game, there's no way this thing is as 'flexible' as the table top.

sigur
13-12-2007, 18:19

...and has nothing to do with this thing. This isn't a computer game, it's just a program that simulates a real game on the computer. There's no need for graphics that are more flashy than 2D sprites.

I don't think that it would hurt GW too much really. You don't play 40k because of it's rules or because it's a good tournament system, do you?

LeeJerrum
15-12-2007, 13:56
I dont think GW can do anything about this.

It doesnt use any of GW's copyright. All the images are hand drawn and none of the rules are represented in the game.

Its just a virtual battlefield.

I dont believe it does hurt GW at all. On the contrary, as with Bloodbowl and Fumbbl this kind of thing can only help.

It gives me a playing field to test armies and play out of regular gaming hours before I buy my models and go to the weekly GW vet nights.

thechosenone
15-12-2007, 16:43
I dislike this sort of thing. Just because, I want to support Warhammer 40k. I do that by buying GW stuff. Anything that hurts GW, I don't like. Call me a fanboy, or argue if you like, this is still too close to "Play the game without having to buy anything!" for my tastes.

That and, with the dozens of unique scenarioes that crop up in an average Warhammer game, there's no way this thing is as 'flexible' as the table top.

Its a way to test tacics dude and a way for people without any opponents around to play a game.

Do you hate DOW? Cause for a mere forty bucks someone never has to shop GW again either? Do you hate guys that don't buy GW tape measures and dice? Do you hate every Ork player for making his own vehicles rather then using GW's old trucks? Do you hate green stuff modelers? Do you hate guys that write their own narratives(I hate the word Fluff) instead of only buying Black Library and never thinking outside the box?

I support GW, i like the people that work there, i like the game and all that. its fun, its my hobby and i love those guys too but they do gouge us for cash. If you think it costs sixty bucks to make a monolith and they give us a fair price you're being a tool.

The only people that really know anything about little cyerwars and Vassal are people on a warhammer forum. Any first time buyer whos einterested but doesn't want to spend the money for models might settle for DOW but what's he gunna do that Vassal will hurt. He's not gunna say to himself "Yeah, DOW is nice with its story and graphics and sound but i wonder if there's something out there that's marginally better then stick figures? That's for me"

Like i said, i love their stuff, i eat it up with a spoon but I'm also able to see the difference between molding my own GW figures (Which would be something that hurts the company) and an only battle map with poor graphics where i can test my army and play a game with someone without having to leave my house.

LeeJerrum
15-12-2007, 20:26
The online tournamnet is in the planning phase now.

I'll link the thread here as soon as we've gone over the details.

LeeJerrum
16-12-2007, 15:19
Online Vassal Tournament (http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4045)

Heres the information for the tournament.

ScooterinAB
16-12-2007, 18:59
I want to shed some light on the situation.

Vassal does not have any rules imbedded into it. It's basically a glorified play by mail system. You still have to know the rules in order to play. The idea is that you would be able to play with other people that you normally wouldn't get to play with. I made a module for Necromunda as a way to play with other people online, while still being able to play with my friends here. Same idea.

On the topic of GW pissiness. No, GW has no grounds to get upity about Vassal, yes they did. I received notice that GW has forced Vassal to take down all modules for GW games. Even though there are no rules contained, having a 3rd party program anywhere near a GW product is apparently an IP violation.

It's dumb, really.

I was aware that there was a 2nd Edition Vassal module. If I saw a current one, I would be bvery interested in playing, as I still think that I can play online and still fill GW's pockets with money from the minis I buy.

scarletsquig
16-12-2007, 20:17
Generally, I feel that the best way to ensure GW doesn't get mad and try and take away our toys is not to go posting about them on a high traffic message board.

I received notice that GW has forced Vassal to take down all modules for GW games. .

*sigh*

Point proven. :(

silence
16-12-2007, 22:18
just been to the website, it appears that it is still possible to play the 40k mod

LoneSniperSG
17-12-2007, 06:49
GW doesn't really have a leg to stand on to fight this. It contains no rules, the art is drawn by the author of the mod, not cribbed from GW work, no money is being made on it. You still need to own a copy of the 40k rules, and army books to play.

It doesn't devalue their product in any way. It's simply a way to, if you already own 40k, play with someone that's too far away to get a game with normally.

... Really? Damn you for saying things, now this will chew at the back of my mind for the next two days... then I'll forget.

I want to shed some light on the situation.

Vassal does not have any rules imbedded into it. It's basically a glorified play by mail system. You still have to know the rules in order to play. The idea is that you would be able to play with other people that you normally wouldn't get to play with. I made a module for Necromunda as a way to play with other people online, while still being able to play with my friends here. Same idea.

On the topic of GW pissiness. No, GW has no grounds to get upity about Vassal, yes they did. I received notice that GW has forced Vassal to take down all modules for GW games. Even though there are no rules contained, having a 3rd party program anywhere near a GW product is apparently an IP violation.

It's dumb, really.

I was aware that there was a 2nd Edition Vassal module. If I saw a current one, I would be bvery interested in playing, as I still think that I can play online and still fill GW's pockets with money from the minis I buy.

It is dumb. I like GW, but... They aren't police. They aren't any kind of army either. Unless they throw all their chaos marines and orks at us. They can't do much to make people stop playing the mod, now can they? And I doubt they can launch a grand crusade to reclaim all distant mod-hosting websites. Play like normal and don't care what they say.

If they were really REALLY bright, they'd have thought of this themselves. But then we'd have to pay for it. I SEE YOU, RANDOM GW SPY!!!! >>;

zealot!
17-12-2007, 06:56
garbage. what is the point of this? saving time at the expense of what? every single good thing about the hobby.

modeling
painting
friends (well... you could get ur friend to play you in this, but he might not like you afterwards)
smoking
drinking

WHAT!?
dice

LoneSniperSG
17-12-2007, 07:08
garbage. what is the point of this? saving time at the expense of what? every single good thing about the hobby.

modeling
painting
friends (well... you could get ur friend to play you in this, but he might not like you afterwards)
smoking
drinking

WHAT!?
dice

Some of us hate painting or building or something that discourages us from completing our $1000+ army.

zealot!
17-12-2007, 07:39
yeah there's a video game called dawn of war. and miniatures games that cost less than 100 dollars and require no painting.

/me looks at the pics again and pukes

LeeJerrum
17-12-2007, 07:48
Hilarious.

This game gives me an opportunity to playtest my GT army before I spend 300 on it, buy a ticket for 55 and fork out 200 for a weekend away.

Is there a problem with this? GW get a massive proportion of my income per year. This game allows me to play outside gaming club hours and if anything will provoke me into buying additional models.

All this does for me is allows me to play games against valued forum buddies that i'd never have the fortune of meeting or playing over a tabletop.

I would never replace my gaming club battles and I certainly wouldn't play a game versus one of those guys over the internet.

Gaz Taylor
17-12-2007, 11:21
garbage. what is the point of this?

No point apart from being another way of playing 40k. It's good for those of us who -

Want to try a new army out before committing cash to it
Want to play people we know from the Forums and would never be able to play due to them living on the otherside of the world
Aren't able to play against anybody locally (due to time or no opponents)

It's not going to replace the models, but it's another way of playing ;)

jason_sation
17-12-2007, 22:58
really dumb question here. Can you change the color of your army, in case you have Tau and your opponent also has Tau, or do you both have Orange Tau pieces?

Dark Scipio
28-12-2007, 16:48
really dumb question here. Can you change the color of your army, in case you have Tau and your opponent also has Tau, or do you both have Orange Tau pieces?

In 3.5 (coming soon) we have impleted different bases, so you can easier field to armies of the same species/fraction against eacht other.
We are also planning to do at least 2 sets of every fraction in different colours so you can easier play them against each other and fit your own real paintingsheme a bit more. Space Marines will get sprites in every possible main colour, other perhaps later.

In 3.4 (newest version) and in 3.5 we hope to have removed the most unwanted thing in the module (possiblities of cheating are now not any larger than on a real table).

We are open to any critic, suggestion, question or wish. :)

Sons of Russ
29-12-2007, 09:50
Man, I just had a great game online with my Imperial Fists against a Chaos 1750 pt army.

The reason I sound so happy is because I have had to move to a small town where the nearest game is a 3 hours roundtrip. Thus this was my first game in about 2 years!

It was great to be able to not only play, but observe other peoples' games from the comfort and convenience of home!

I encourage all the armchair generals out here who dont have the time to get a game in to try it. Its worth the download and install and learning curve!

Dark Scipio
29-12-2007, 17:48
Man, I just had a great game online with my Imperial Fists against a Chaos 1750 pt army.

The reason I sound so happy is because I have had to move to a small town where the nearest game is a 3 hours roundtrip. Thus this was my first game in about 2 years!

It was great to be able to not only play, but observe other peoples' games from the comfort and convenience of home!

I encourage all the armchair generals out here who dont have the time to get a game in to try it. Its worth the download and install and learning curve!

Thats nice. That is why we made this module. I hope you like the Imperial Fists :p.

Dark Scipio
08-01-2008, 11:07
We have created a small Vassal module forum (our 40k module and the recent begun Epic and Fantasy module). Just for easier communication.

There you can see sprites that are already made, post wishes, suggestions, critic and even post sprites you made yourself to be impleted into the module.

Vassal module Forum (40k, Epic, Fantasy...) (http://pickle.freehostia.com/phpBB3/index.php)

The Song of Spears
08-01-2008, 16:41
I got white dwarf 300 on the recommendation that it has movie marines in it, this was wrong BTW, it mentions no such stats, but anyway, i noticed that in all the WD bat-reps in that mag they were using VASSAL and have pictures posted up from VASSAL screen shots.

Its a great little item and i hope to get a updated 40k module here soon, cheers!

LeeJerrum
09-01-2008, 13:26
The Heresy Online tournament kicks off in a few days guys.

But there's still time for last minute entrants.

Check it out here (http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4045)

Dark Scipio
01-02-2008, 10:59
To remove some minor bugs here is 3.5.5:

http://www.mediafire.com/?df4ygbgbxvx

http://www.pictureupload.de/originals/pictures/310108145750_3-5Beispiel.jpg

V40k3.5.4
--fixed necron basing
--fixed ork basing and missiing warboss mega armor, tankbusta, kommando w/ big shoota, burna, shoota, trukk, stormboy nob. Removed second deff dread. Changed the mad dok image to the JT one, much better.
--fixed chaos basing
--Checked Dark Eldar
--Eldar basing checked, Swooping Hawks redone
--Eldar war walker now has layers for the different weapons layouts. (can you have 2 different weapons on the walker?)
--Resized and layered all Eldar vehicles and jet bikes
--Began adding new terrain sprites from JT
--Added Ultramarine Chaplain on bike, Adjusted bases on ultramarines
--replaced DarkAngel sprites with better ones. Missing quite a few but at least they look better now. DA Dread has configurable weapon mounts.
-- Change LOS thread to red. Shows up better on most terrain types
--Add text label selection for terrain pieces
--Casualty markers
--DE, 2 wyches with CCW + splinter
--Added new Avatar sprite, resized and layered the Eldar Wave Serpent, Fire Prism and Falcon.
--Added vehicle prototype. Includes Immobilised and Condition (shaken, stunned, destroyed) layers. Applied to all vehicles.
--Changed Tau Devilfish/Hammerhead/Piranha sprites. Added layers for weapon mounts.
--New Kroot sprite
--New IG sentinel, chimera, leman russ, demolisher, basilisk and hellhound with layers added, Pickle – The Boy Squig did the baneblade and Leman Russ Executioner. Basicly loads of new IG tanks added thanks to the Pickle man.
--New IG infantry done.
--Assassins added to Inquisition list
--IG Vulture, Valkyrie and Thunderbolt flyers added.
--Dice bucket implemented. Select the number of dice, hit ctrl p, push the button with your target number. All dice show the number and a big F if it failed the number. Rerolls are doable (rerolls the last set of failed dice, red Fs). Armor saves will be last and all failed armor saves will show up as big red Fs. Up to 120 dice can be rolled this way.
--Space Wolf predator and landspeeder put in with layers.
--Space Wolf should be complete now with all vehicles and infantry done.
--The Pickle warhound was put in.
--Scale has been changed to 25 pixels per inch
--Put bases on harlequins and wraithguard
--ork mek boy force field now has the 6” field effect as a key command
--many terminators have now been put on 40mm bases
--created the hellstorm apocalypse flamer template.
--Added transparent bases. You have to select no base and the hit ctrl-z for the AoE to activate.
--Added a marker that will show firing unit, direction and target. Place it on/near the unit firing. Point arrow at target and then place marker on/near target. It will leave a trail showing who is shooting what
--Dark Angels added
--Redid the UI to the simpler images and fonts and put similar buttons into sub-menus
--Each model has a 2” radius AoE. Just select your base size
--Smoke added to all vehicles
--Fixed issue where vehicles showed up as ‘Clear’ when the mouse over was used
--Added Stompa, Chaos Warhound, Reaver, Nightwing
--Deamon Hunters have been updated (Pickle). Most have layers
--Added a ‘go backwards 1 inch’ command to all pieces
--Added 2, 6, 12 and 24 inch range circles to all models that have a round base
--New kill markers done by DS. Randomly picks from 3 with random facing
--Necrons now have a repair layer

3.5.5:
- Corrected Grey Knight/Justicar weapon options
- Corrected Grandmaster layer bug
- Added Grey Knights Special Weapons
- Corrected =I= Stromtroopers, added two weapon options
- Corrected Gov. Palace and Streefight map tiles

Unfortunally the Raven Guard didn`t got in due to lack of time.

MrPickles
01-02-2008, 12:26
Can the VASSAL program be installed on vista? I can't run the .bat file.

Glabro
01-02-2008, 13:36
That last screenshot is markedly superior, the units zoom up real nice.

I'll definitely check this out. Testing out armies with Vassal is a LOT better than playing with proxies.

Eldrad
01-02-2008, 17:23
I cant get the mod to run is there a step by step to install it? I have Vassal but the mod wont. I am retarded with computers btw.

Marneus Calgar
01-02-2008, 18:02
I have downloaded VASSAL, yet I am having trouble opening up the 40k mod page. It says page is not found. Would someone like to share a link please?

Dark Scipio
02-02-2008, 09:19
MrPickles: It should, perhaps you try the weblauncher or the other options from the vassal site, as they dont even have a bat file to start (just a Java file jnlp).

Eldrad: Start vassal and then load the module file, the rest should be selfexplaining. You only have to download the module there: http://www.mediafire.com/?df4ygbgbxvx

Perhaps this helps:
http://hometown.aol.de/JTPeter/images/Anleitung.png

MrPickles
02-02-2008, 12:11
Thanks for the help, I found out that a simple java update was all I needed.

Dark Scipio
18-03-2008, 10:37
Now after I am back and would like to slowly start work on it again. Has anybody some suggestions or whises?

People that would like to help (create sprites) are also very welcome. ;)

The Song of Spears
18-03-2008, 16:59
I assume you are aware of the sprites needed? Or would a list of missing sprites be helpful?

I wish i could make sprites but i dont think i am up to the task :P ...hmm... maybe i could go screen shots from DoW? Then somehow modify them to work as sprites for VASSAL?

Dark Scipio
18-03-2008, 20:44
A list of spirtes that are missing is always welcome.

Dark Scipio
07-05-2008, 19:34
Is somebody is keen to see a preview on 4.0 here are some new Chaos Sprites:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Vassal%20sprites/chaos/SHEETcopy.png

The Song of Spears
07-05-2008, 20:48
All i can say is WOW! Chaos looks superb!! I love the way the sprites look ,even the nurgle greater daemon "booger"! :p

Dont forget to add the Defiler(keep current one?) and the Unbound defiler = Soulgrinder from codex daemons!

For eldar:
Can we get Prince Yuriel and have the sprite size increases on the waveserpents/falcons/prisms (they are 6" long in RL)

For Necrons:
Can we get the Monolith sprite size increased, (its about 6" square in RL)

For Tau:
Do you have vespids yet?
Do you have marker drones get?
Do you have markerlight markers to use?

For orks:
the shokk attack gun
deff koptas

Inquisitor Karamazov for witchhunters please?

I have three new maps i edited to be the 40k 6'x4' table size, would you like them?

Dark Scipio
08-05-2008, 08:41
If you have boards, you can summit them there:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8050

We are happy to include them.

We also have a new Necron Set:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Vassal%20sprites/Necron_sprites.png

We are working on the missing things, Tau are in the making.

Ork Shokkgun:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/amdor/SAG.png

The Song of Spears
08-05-2008, 17:09
The maps have been posted, hope they are to your liking :)

great work on the crons, when can were expect to get all these new goodies?

Oh yeah and can i assume you are adding all the phoenix lords for eldar as well as various Autarch config sprites?

x-esiv-4c
08-05-2008, 17:16
I'm going to have to give this a shot at home tonight...

Dark Scipio
09-05-2008, 07:41
The maps have been posted, hope they are to your liking :)

great work on the crons, when can were expect to get all these new goodies?

Oh yeah and can i assume you are adding all the phoenix lords for eldar as well as various Autarch config sprites?

Yes thanks, I saw them already. We try to get 4.0 with all thses new sprites in around August. And yes we also want to try to complete almost all sets, although thats a lot of work.

Dark Scipio
09-06-2008, 11:10
If you are interested: We have a new webiste, with news and guide online:

Vassal40k.com (http://www.vassal40k.com/)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/Vassal%20sprites/Banner.gif

The Song of Spears
09-06-2008, 16:28
Great site mate, i cant wait for your next big release!

Dezartfox
29-06-2008, 23:19
Hey all, I run the website and make a lot of the new sprites, the chaos, necrons and daemons which you'll see in next module :)

Misanthrope
30-06-2008, 09:24
Post pics and screenshots nub! :P

Vassal is an *awesome* way to test out new list schemes, tactics and other really cool stuff from the safety and comfort of your own home without having to risk life and limb venturing into the terrorism-ridden quagmire of the outside world. You can find dozens of people every day in the Vassal 40K multiplayer lobby to drown in the wretched depths of your deranged ocean of cheesy facial folicles following all the rules we know, love and despise.

Thus concludes my broadcast day.

Dezartfox
30-06-2008, 14:42
Hahaha hello Misanthrope, you seem to be popping up everywhere these days,

We'll have a battle report for everyone very very soon ;)

Dezartfox
04-07-2008, 16:32
Finished the SoB sprites,
www.vassal40k.com

Dezartfox
07-07-2008, 01:23
Also made a new tyranid set :)
In two colours :D

Dezartfox
10-07-2008, 14:36
We have our first battle report up on the website now, as well as a huge screen shot of the new orks and Nids with new terrain etc.

Dezartfox
12-07-2008, 01:30
I started working on teh Tau today, have the set 90% done now, just need to colour them.

Drogmir
12-07-2008, 01:43
I was just thinking. The Grass in the game is essentially a big blob of green.

Is there any way to modify the Vassal engine to give more texture?

If you could use pictures of mini grass instead of that solid green it would do wonders for the visual look of the game.

Dezartfox
12-07-2008, 11:17
Yeah we've got some custom tilesets made up to give a bit of texture, they take a second or two to load but after that they work brilliantly :) these were our tilesets that Misanthrope presented us

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Dirt.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Green.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Temperate.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Grassland.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Desert-Sand.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Desert-Cracked.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SpikedHelmet/Snow.png

Top-Bottom:

Muddy
"Green"
Temperate
Grassland
Sandy Desert
Cracked Desert
Snow

Mercurious
13-07-2008, 13:12
Played my first game last night.

I absolutely love this thing, no way will it replace actual tabletop 40k, but it captures the spirit and a lot of the fun of the game very well. The fact it has no rules and leaves all the calculating and conflict resolution up to the players makes it seamless and flexible. Plus you can take it at you own pace having a nice chat on the way..........

Definitely up there with sliced bread in my opinion, especially if you got the itch but not a model in sight.

Dezartfox
13-07-2008, 20:47
Hahaha, it is awesome, next version will be ten times better too!
Hell you can even save your games and come back to them a day later if yu want a big battle :)

Vassal40k
19-07-2010, 22:24
We are still working on a new version (and we are always glad if more spriters or Coders would like to join us).

A very tiny preview put up on the Lexicanum:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/e/ed/Vassal40k_Tzeentch_LandRaider_Preview_5-3.png