PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms 2000pt

GodHead
30-08-2005, 18:08
My brother is starting an Ogre army, and I really don't have any experience with them, and he's decided to go completely without any gnoblars (not that they look very useful at all).

Tyrant
Wyrdstone Necklace
Greedy Fist
Deathcheater
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
1 Luck Gnoblar, 2 Sword Gnoblars

This guy is very difficult to kill. With T5, W5, 5+ ward 4+ save, destroy magic weapons with ward saves or armour saves, and the ability to force the enemy to re-roll to wound one turn, and the ability to re-roll an armour or ward save, I can't even begin to imagine that most armies will be able to scratch this guy in combat...

Butcher
Bangstick
Dispel Scroll

Butcher
Hellheart

Mostly for magic defence, between the 4 dice, 1 scroll, and the ability to shut down or severly hamper/danger-ify an enemy magic phase, these guys should do pretty well, they might even get a spell or two off in their own phase. Ogre magic seems almost as relentless as Tomb Kings magic.

6 Bulls
Light Armour
Musician, Champion

6 Ironguts
Full command

6 Ironguts
Full command

The Tyrant goes in the Bulls, the Butchers go in the Ironguts. All 3 units should be extremely devastating in combat, have significant unit strength, and quite a few wounds.

4 Leadbelchers
Champion

2 Maneaters
Heavy Armour
1 with Great Weapon
1 with Cathayan Longsword

These two units are tasked with holding the flank. Between the leadbelchers shots, and the Maneaters Stubborness/awesomness, I would imagine they can protect a single flank long enough for the rest of the army to get stuck in.

I'm a little worried about the lack of units, and the only thing I can see this army doing is a refused flank strategy, hoping to get charges off. Can this actually work?

samw
30-08-2005, 19:06
Drop the champions, they aint worth it. Put a standard in the other bull unit. Honestly I think gnoblars are quite useful but otherwise you need something to guard your flanks. Some DoW duelists could work very well now I think about it. Split the leadbelchers into two units of two, add bellowers if you can afford it as these guys tend to panic easy. Otherwise pretty good for Ogres.

GodHead
30-08-2005, 19:31
The champions aren't there for the +1 attack, they're there to take challenges the characters don't want to accept.

samw
30-08-2005, 19:52
Like what? Sorry but as you said that Tyrant is rather hard, surely you WANT enemy characters to hit him rather than the bulls, he can take it better. Very few characters want to challenge ogre heroes, any powerful enough to take them on would much prefer to annihilate Rank and File. True those irritating Empire wizards with the specalum could cause problems, but won't they always?

GodHead
30-08-2005, 20:06
It's not necessarily for protection, but choice. It can be disadvantageous to be trapped in a combat against the unit champion, instead of knocking down 3 or 4 knights for example. There are just circumstances where you don't want your characters in a challenge, either to protect yourself (the Butchers need protection more than the Tyrant) or to inflict more damage.

samw
30-08-2005, 20:11
Yes I'm sure there are, I just don't happen to think they're worth the 80(?) or so points you have invested, particularly to the detriment of a banner. And I stand by my Leadbelcher comments. A champ is superfluous, a musician is essential to them.