PDA

View Full Version : Non-GW themes for 40k armies

IronNerd
16-09-2007, 20:01
I am taking the first step in making a new army. Got my first box of Firewarriors. As I was paint testing, I remembered an idea I had a couple years ago. I tried a few colors, and I am sure of it now. I am going to be making an army based on one of the greatest cartoons ever... Invader Zim. The firewarriors are invaders, gun drones are robot bees... I have a slew of ideas.

This got me curious, how many people have themed armies from something other than the GW world. I've seen a Transformers Tau list, and everyone knows about the Hello Kitty marines. What are some of the interesting ideas you all have?

Brotherdraagor
16-09-2007, 20:11
My Tau, kinda controversially, are based on the Brown Shirts and SS, though I've not taken the iconography. I did this because people can view the Tau as the 'goodies' of the 40k universe, and I thought the irony should be noticed (castes, social control, censorship, pretty much all Nazi ideals). Tau symbols have the red, white and black of the flag easily transferred. The firewarriors/path finders are painted in a brown shirt style, as well as battlesuits. Squad leaders (names escape me and codex isn't to hand) in battle suits and firewarriors are painted in the SS style. Vehicles I've still not finalised, but drones will probably be camo, stealth suits SS colours, and the Ethereals I might just make white/light colours to give the idea and reality a contrast.

I think non-40k themes are fine personally, though as always one persons line to be crossed will clash with someone elses. I've no doubt my army offends someone, for which I'm sorry, but I also hope there are others who agree that the irony theme is fitting.

Gwedd
16-09-2007, 20:16
Comrades,

One of the coolest themes i ever saw was an IG army of Catachans all painted as Rastafarians/Jamaicans. Lots of colors, dreadlocks, etc. Way cool and done quite well.

Respects,

scratchbuilt
16-09-2007, 20:17
Well that could be seen as a bit distasteful, taking a bad event a bit too lightly.

Anyway. I had a chaos army themed on 'virus'. Not really I had the idea independently of the movie, but it was definitely not a typically themed chaos army.

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
16-09-2007, 20:45
In my oppinion, almost anything can be justified as "40k themed" except maybe a select few things. Zim could work very well as a tau renegade faction, the brown shirt tau, could either be a tau sept or renegades, and the jamaican Catachans could easily be from a world with a Jamaican culture.

Frep
16-09-2007, 20:59
Thinking about themed armies some of my favorites are either stolen from video games or are just plain hilarious for instance my brother is building an IG army based of the Brotherhood of Nod from Command and Conquer, meanwhile Doghouse has probably the best army ever, The Cosmic Space Knights of Doom or CSKoD for short, anyone with the battlecry "Remember where we're parked" is just great.

Personally I'm gonna start and IG army thats based on Praetorians except they actually wear their armour, I'm think some simple headswaps on cadian bodies and just 'forgetting" the shoulder tassels. (I'm gonna paint the armour bright red though.

Bunnahabhain
16-09-2007, 21:08
Guard armies are the most common examples of this, as a) it's easiest to transfer real world themes to them, and b) most of the GW guard themes are thinly disguised real world themes.

I've seen Guard forces based on zulu, star wars, just about every major combatant of every war of the 20th century, rambo, starship troopers, american civil war, napoleonic era ( most sides) the rastafarians, etc, etc and assorted ones in dubious taste- SS, KKK, IDF with Palestinian suicide bombers as demo charges.....

Damien 1427
16-09-2007, 21:13
I recall the Jamacian Catachans... If I remember rightly, he (The chap who made them) used to post on here, or back when this was Portent. Serpent, wasn't it?

I do remember COBRA Guardsmen. Those were great. :p There's also the typical Wermacht and Soviet Guardsmen, an anime Lost and the Damned list (Slaaneshi, featuring Japanese schoolgirls as cultists)...

There's also the seemingly endless number of Star Wars Space Marines/Guardsmen lists, too. Oh, as well as Alien Guardsmen and Alien Xenomorph 'Nids. I think I recall Kroot Mercenary Predators as well. there was also a Simpson Marine army floating around from the early days of Portent, too.

What I would like to do? Maybe a BPRD Inquisition army, generic death-robot 'Nids, maybe a guard army as a "Legitimate Businessmens Social Club"...

Frep
16-09-2007, 21:21
would that be command by Heroic Senior officer Fat Tony, accompanied by commisars Legs, and Louie perhaps

Damien 1427
16-09-2007, 21:23
would that be command by Heroic Senior officer Fat Tony, accompanied by commisars Legs, and Louie perhaps

But of course. But painting that many suits would drive me insane.

Frep
16-09-2007, 21:39
Especialy the pinstipes, but imagine the conversion possibilities storm bolter tommy guns, molotov cocktail grenades drive-by chimera shootings

The Highlander
16-09-2007, 22:08
Well my IG army is based on the highland infantry regaments of the napolionic war, complet with kilts and 2 pipers!

Jester Boy
16-09-2007, 22:12
I think we need pics. That being said, I have none :eyebrows:

atomictophat
16-09-2007, 22:22
Well, I've given my chaos marines an anime theme, by making them 8-foot power armoured maids that could summon chibi chaos marine demons. So that's pretty odd, right?

Gensuke626
17-09-2007, 00:04
I've seen a few Non GW things here in Hawaii at my FLGS. the one I remember most was the berzerker army with the "Tickle-Me Bloodthrister" (Blood Thirster converted to look like a huge, cuddly, smiling, clawed, winged, monstrous Elmo) and the "Blood Letters" (Pipe Cleaners bent to spell out the letters B L O and D. 2 Os per 5 man group.) The googly eyes everywhere made me smile, and laugh at whatever was getting the snot beated out of it by Elmo.

My second favorite was a Marines Chapter called the "Screaming Mimes". All the Marines had flat black armor and pure white faces with some details. No bolters in hand. He had a rhino too, which was a vaguely Rhino Shaped piece of flat cardboard to be the Rhino's Shadow, and a couple of drivers suspended by bits of wire. It always amused me to see them mow down enemies and leave me thinking "hehehe...they were mimed to death."

IronNerd
17-09-2007, 02:02
It seems there are a decent amount of themes out there. I will hopefully be starting a project log on my Zim army. I want to get more than one model done first...

redbishop
17-09-2007, 06:14
I am waiting to see a new Dark Eldar Codex, but when I do I'll be making a Yuuzahn Vong army. For those who don't know, the Yuuzahn Vong come from the Star Wars Expanded Universe and use Bio-Technology and worship Pain. If anyone has an idea for models that could be converted into Yuuzahn Vong without much skill(as I have none) that would be great. Thanks.

Ilmarinen
17-09-2007, 10:51
If I ever finish my several other armies (unlikely!) then I'd love to do a Necron army themed as the Robots of Krikit from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (perhaps they were the original inspiration for the necrons - legions of robots whose sole aim is to destroy all life in the universe! Hmm).

Darnok
17-09-2007, 11:32
"Star Wars" is a hugely popular theme. I don't remember the SW-themed IG armies I've seen so far, and Tau are almost ideal for a Clone Trooper army (almost no conversions needed).