PDA

View Full Version : What country in history has been most like the Imperium?

Ktotwf
17-09-2007, 03:38
Okay, here goes:

I am gonna go Soviet Russia.

Massive and frivilous waste of manpower- check
Xenophobia - check
Perfect "God like" leader who is all but worshipped - check
Commissars - Check
Indoctrination -Check
Large masses who toil endlessly for little profit - check

MrPickles
17-09-2007, 03:57
Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia are the only ones that come close IMO.

Kloud13
17-09-2007, 04:13
I was comparing my own Country, and this is What I come up with compared to Russia.

CANADA

Massive and Frivilous Waste of Manpower. -Well not Quite, we had a Liberal Government for Years, so it was more a Massive Waste of Taxpayers Money.

Xenphobia- Well We don't fear Chaos, it's worse, We have French. Actually Worse than That, we have Liberals. (I'm kidding, I don't mind French People. But Liberals on the other hand.......And I am serious about that.)

Perfect "God like" Leader who is all but worshipped- Maybe not so much at a Federal Government level, (like not at all.) But at Provincial Level, We had Ralph Klien. I miss Ralph. (In Canada a Province is Metric for State. lol)

Commissars- We got Mounties, They don't shoot you, they just take away your beer.

Indoctrination- Hell Yeah, you see for years, The Liberal government (gag me) has been screwing up, and to cover it up to the West, They Fed the West a bunch of lines about the French People out East causing all manners of problems, and Then They told The French about those Rednecks out West causing grief. As it turned out, Western Canadiens are Awesome people, And French People arn't to bad either, It's Ontario that sucks. There is even a song called "Ontario Sucks" download it , it's great.

Large Masses who toil Endlessly for little Profit- Oh, we are way out to lunch on this one, we have large masses who don't toil at all, and get a huge chunk of MY profits. (My Tax Money) Has something to do with the fact that they had Reservations, or something

Green-is-best
17-09-2007, 04:15
I'm gonna go with the Soviet Union too.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-09-2007, 04:17
I think the Soviet Union definitely has the lock so far...but we'll see, Chavez is gaining in Venezuela!!

Shibboleth
17-09-2007, 04:38
Medieval Catholic Europe around Crusade times pretty much fits the bill aswell.

Admiral Koppenflak
17-09-2007, 04:42
I agree with Shibboleth; the crusades where multiple nations answered to the Catholic Church. (Heck; the "inquisition" is a good example!)

although it seems pretty clear that there are elements of soviet russia as well... Especially when you look at the organization and mass-production of the Imperial Guard.

DantesInferno
17-09-2007, 05:33
More than passing similarities to the Roman Empire, too.

Ktotwf
17-09-2007, 05:34
More than passing similarities to the Roman Empire, too.

In what way, other than overuse of Latin?

DantesInferno
17-09-2007, 06:22
In what way, other than overuse of Latin?

Well, the Romans conquered territories with their Legions, then placed semi-autonomous Governors to rule the defeated lands with a whole lot of military force to dissuade succession. Tithes in both money and goods were sent back to the centre of the Empire. Auxiliaries from the new conquered territories went to strengthen the might of the central authority. They were ruled by an Emperor, who would be officially deified after his death. Within the upper classes on Rome, vicious and sometimes violent power-struggles would occur, often sorted out by which side the Emperor's elite bodyguards chose to join (cf. Vandire). Yet while the small upper-class played power-games, the Empire was fueled by the unseen hard work of its lower-class citizens and slaves.There was also a period of intense civil war, in which generals lead their personal armies against each other. At the end of the period of unrest, the Empire settled down under the rule of a single Emperor. Once the Empire reached its effective limits, it managed to maintain a time of relative peace and security until it became overstretched and began to falter.

But initially in its expansion, Rome was content to form alliances with other powers until it was able to subsume them within its overall power structure (cf. Mechanicus).

I'm not saying that it's by any means a perfect analogy (the Imperium isn't an exact port of any single historical Empire), but there are certainly some Roman-flavoured elements.

Iracundus
17-09-2007, 07:29
The Imperium is a mash of multiple historical empires/nations so it can't be simply compared to one without really stretching the similarities or analogies. Its Ecclesiarchy is directly based off of the medieval Church, but the Imperium as a whole is run as a feudalistic society with features of the worst bits of Stalinism and fascism.

masecase
17-09-2007, 08:25
How about the chinese empire ( end of the 20th, start of 21th century).
The individual is treated like a dog, its a giant nation, many people are xenophobic and chauvinistic, abhore things not made in china/ blessed by the party god, and they worship an ancient power, most chinese never have seen, which teachings are now comletely corrupted and bend to suite the whims of the High concil of Terra, I mean Bejing.:cool: