PDA

View Full Version : Maruaders with GW?

Markconz
30-08-2005, 22:41
I know that HW&S is the default armament for Marauders for most people... but I was wondering if anyone has used them with Great Weapons? I was thinking a unit of 12-16 might be worth a go for something different - maybe going 6 wide. Any thoughts?

Lordmonkey
30-08-2005, 22:45
They'll get shot to hell?

Depends on your opponent. For a balanced force, I'd usually kit them out with flails and take a HUGE unit of them. If your going for Chaos undivided or slaanesh it's better because your less likely to panic (or not at all!).

Trunks
30-08-2005, 23:53
With proper support (or screening) they could do fairly well theoretically (I've never used them myself).

I'd think they'd do best as support regiments rather than a main battle line regiment.

Frankly
31-08-2005, 01:18
I use GW units in my Ulric armylist. I think they work fine, they're a pretty effective countering unit, but you MUST get a charge with them.

If theyre a countering/support unit then sure they'll get shot up by ranged attacks, but then aagain most units getting heavily targeted in your opponants shooting and/or magic phase will get thumbed even if that unit has L.armour and shells.

It also depends what else you have in your armylist, if you have alot of heavy hitters then L.armour and shields would make a more stable support rank and file unit.

Just keep the unit cheep, for example no armour, if your supporting other bigger units, ask yourself if they need a commnand, i usually don't go higher than 16 models.

Avian
31-08-2005, 12:02
I was thinking about a couple of units of 10 one with flails and one with great weapons. They'd normally be deployed 6 wide and act as a support unit.

PelsBoble
31-08-2005, 12:41
IF they support a unit of 25 marauders with la+shield i think they will do pretty good. Sure they may be shot up but its like 70 points. As avian said units of 10 max 12 is probably best. And with no command to keep them cheaper

asmodai_dark86
01-09-2005, 13:20
You could in theory use them as a main regiment and give you opponent one hell of a surprise.

Plus a unit of beastmen is a pretty cheap screening unit - I saw try it against faster armies (elves) and tough armies (dwarves) but against men, stick with hand weapon and shield.
My reasoning is that against elves your going to strike last anyway, so at least get the guarenteed kill, against dwarves you'll need the strength bonus, but against you're average human foot solider? meh go for the shield

Angelripper
04-09-2005, 17:01
I use them in small units in a flanksupport role, screen them with hounds or a beastherd for example and smash them in the flank.
Workes quite well for me against Empire and Vampires

Crazy Harborc
04-09-2005, 17:14
I would try to have them be the backup unit to support another unit's attack. As mentioned they would get shot up on the way in. Especially if they were the first unit going in.

I always shoot up an incoming Marauders unit while they are still at long range. Larger units of them might arrive to enter HtH a lot surer than 16, make it 20-30 bodies if possible.

User Name
05-09-2005, 04:19
I havent really used them but in a marauder horde situation they make a nice counterpart for a larger unit and can cause wounds on the charge.

I prefer to use marauders in units of 25 to add static CR and numbwes to my otherwise eleit msu army.

TCJay
06-09-2005, 14:12
Flails are better than GW: 1p cheaper mainly and GW strikes last while Flails still strike with I. They both give +2S on the charge...

Genome
06-09-2005, 20:33
I'd vote flails, mid-sized units (~12) as suggested before. They're good support flankers, but I'd definitely suggest HW&S for the larger units as they tend to act as meat shields.

Hywel
06-09-2005, 22:51
I've considered using a unit of these guys with an exalted champion carrying whip of slaanesh... if he can clear out most of the enemy front rank first, they could be a very good linebreaker.

Of course, this is a theoretical musing. Soemthing about 30 marauders has meant they've lain on my desk half-painted for two years.

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2005, 00:10
I do love it when Marauders come towards a unit or two of my shooters.....They die so well. IMHO, the do need a little more armor. But then................never mind leave them semi-naked.