PDA

View Full Version : Orgy of spending - How's this army looking? Chaos Mortals

Kadrium
17-09-2007, 22:49
Let me start off by saying:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/griggen/booty-small.jpg

Now then. The wood elves there are my wife's, the chaos is mine.

Purchased:
1 champ of chaos (lord/hero type) on foot
2 chaos sorcerers on foot
1 lord/hero type mounted
5 chaos knights
12 chaos warriors
2 x 16 marauders on foot
5 marauder cavalry
1 chariot
5 screamers

Scrounged up from other sources:
1 Giant
9 bloodletters

I'm also not bashful about proxying here and there, and in my circle of friends we don't care much about it.

I want the army to be mainly chaos mortals, with a smattering of daemons. I'm not too worried about what marks I go with, and my general will probably tend to be just undivided so that i can mix and match other unit marks and daemon units. I have no interest in beasts of chaos whatsoever.

#1 have I made decent purchases as a starting point for a mortal heavy/daemon light army?

#2 what else should I be looking to pick up? I'm planning on another box of warriors afoot, and eventually some more fast cav.

Belerophon709
18-09-2007, 00:38
Knights, marauder horsemen, screamers, mounted lord, chariot, marauders and maybe your other heros as well ---> good buys.

Warriors ---> generally a bad buy.

Don't get me wrong, warriors have their uses, but generally there are options available to you that do their job better and/or cheaper.

I would pick up some spawns and another chariot or two if I were you, and (since you have a giant - telling me you don't mind expanding into the beasts-section) some minotaurs and some dragon ogres.

Oh, and furies!!! Gotta have 'em. They work wonders when they do their ping-pong with screamers.

Khorghan
18-09-2007, 00:52
You already have maruader horsemen which is fast cav. a large portion of your army i see is fast and beast units can help you to acheive a fast force but if your not interested. I would also say get another chariot, chariots always work better in twos. As for the warriors i dont think theyre that bad, i know everyones going to say theyre to expensive but theyre good troops and can do alot-however id hold of on the other pack of warriors for now because it looks like the stuff you have will be pretty expensive already (im assuming your going for 2000 points). if you want another block of infantry go with maruaders as theyre cheap, this way youll have foot units that you can put each hero in if you wanted to and put your mounted lord in with your knights

Khorghan
18-09-2007, 00:53
Oh nevermind that thing about another unit of maruaders, i just realised you already had 2 boxes, my mistake.

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 04:56
There's just one unit of marauder horsemen right now, I'm thinking a 2nd would be nice. I'm not dead set on a point total at this point, I'd like to have the option to play anything from 1-3k. Most of the rest of the armies we own can go anywhere in that range.

I was looking at 2 boxes of chaos warriors so I could field one larger unit of 15-20, or two smaller units of 10, in larger games. 12 warriors just seems like it wouldn't be quite enough when i start pushing over 2k.

I'll look for another chariot when my LGS reloads.

And yeah, I really have no interest in including any beast units at this point aside from possibly the giant. I'm open to any advice on the mortal troops, or some smaller daemon units to augment and support the mortals.

Neknoh
18-09-2007, 08:07
Another box of Marauders, that way, you'll have two units of 24, an excellent start for an infantry army when supported by a unit of Marauder Horsemen (with Flails from the Marauder boxes), a unit of Knights and a unit of 12 Warriors with Additional Handweapons (fielded in two rows of six).

Now, for the next buy, some Daemons or some Beast units would indeed be prefferable, what god are you doing?

Damian
18-09-2007, 10:16
I also agree that you should definately get a second chariot. I'd say thay you souldn't field your warriors in units bigger than 12 models as they are so expensive that is the most efficient configuration. I would also make them chosen and give them halberds and shields, as then they can do some serious damage and will last longer. Also, what about getting a BSB. If you are going to have a mainly infantry based army, one could be quite useful to help pass the all important break checks.

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 12:44
Now, for the next buy, some Daemons or some Beast units would indeed be prefferable, what god are you doing?

No god in particular. I'm sure I'll offend some of the purists, but my friends and I don't particularly concern ourselves with WYSIWYG and aren't bashful about proxying. We don't want to force ourselves to spend even more piles of money to make sure everything we could possibly care to field is accurately represented.

Again, though, I really don't care for the fluff or look of most of the beast units, and I'll be keeping this army as mortal/daemons. This is intended to be my "fun" army where I care more about fielding units I like the look and fluff of. I already have a "ringer" army in my ogres.

For the most part, I'll probably be doing undivided, khorne, or tzeentch lists.

I'm looking at another unit of fast cav to help with interferance, march blocking, and charge baiting. For large games, I'll eventually snag some more warriors and another unit of heavy cav. I'll take the advice about one more box of marauders, and the 2nd chariot

After that, which daemons are solid choices? I like the screamers quite a bit, and I'll look into the furies as suggested. Chaos spawn was mentioned.. Anything else worth looking into for an army that will split time pretending to be undivided/tzeentch/khorne?

Also, what about getting a BSB. If you are going to have a mainly infantry based army, one could be quite useful to help pass the all important break checks.

Again, we're pretty freely open with proxy items, so I can try out a BSB for a couple games before I decided if I want to invest in a full time standard bearer. :D I agree it would probably be pretty useful in this army though.

Damian
18-09-2007, 15:02
What about 1 or 2 small units of warhounds to use as small, fast disposable bait units?

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 15:24
If they're fast cav and cheaper than marauder horsemen, I'm on board. :D

Neknoh
18-09-2007, 15:59
They aren't fast cav, but they're cheaper than ANYTHING you would normally field in a Mortal or Daemonic Chaos Army, they are the bread and butter of screening and baiting with Chaos.

Now, you said you were interested in Khorne, what you could do would be to include a unit of Fleshhounds, they are extremely good, in fact, they are insane, a unit of these and a unit of Screamers should lend you the support you need, also, both units can be modeled into a more "Mortal" look, where Fleshhounds takes the form of massive hunting dogs and screamers the form of giant bird-like creatures.

Now, for Spawns, I'd keep it up with the Khornate, Tzeentchian theme (a theme as worthy as any other, as long as they are united under an Undivided Champion and you have one character of Tzeentchian and one of Khornate nature, could well be a contest between a Khornate Jarl that is an expert at hunting anything and everything and a Tzeentchian Sorceror and his mutated followers to see which one is actually the better).

And what I mean by "keeping the theme" would be that you can either avoid fielding the giant and fielding two Tzeentchian and two Khornate spawns, or you alternate between two khornate and two Tzeentchian ones, or you field one of each, although, Spawns work best in multiples of the same type.

BTW: Don't you think that having "Jinxed" as your avatar will proove an actual jinx when gaming?

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 16:39
They aren't fast cav, but they're cheaper than ANYTHING you would normally field in a Mortal or Daemonic Chaos Army, they are the bread and butter of screening and baiting with Chaos.

I suppose with no ranged weapons, they only lose out on half the fast cav advantage. I like the reform and move that normal fast cav gets, but I'm used to screen/baiting with makeshift units, as an Ogre player.

Now, you said you were interested in Khorne, what you could do would be to include a unit of Fleshhounds, they are extremely good, in fact, they are insane, a unit of these and a unit of Screamers should lend you the support you need, also, both units can be modeled into a more "Mortal" look, where Fleshhounds takes the form of massive hunting dogs and screamers the form of giant bird-like creatures.

Now, for Spawns, I'd keep it up with the Khornate, Tzeentchian theme (a theme as worthy as any other, as long as they are united under an Undivided Champion and you have one character of Tzeentchian and one of Khornate nature, could well be a contest between a Khornate Jarl that is an expert at hunting anything and everything and a Tzeentchian Sorceror and his mutated followers to see which one is actually the better).

I'll look into the hounds, both war hounds and flesh hounds, then. And I do like the concept of the undivided champion overseeing the two competing tzeentchian and khornate characters, each one leading their own half army under his supervision. I had more or less planned on an undivided general anyway.

And what I mean by "keeping the theme" would be that you can either avoid fielding the giant and fielding two Tzeentchian and two Khornate spawns, or you alternate between two khornate and two Tzeentchian ones, or you field one of each, although, Spawns work best in multiples of the same type.

That will work in just fine, I'll keep an eye out for some spawns. Sounds like I have plenty of units additional units to shoot for now, a chariot, another marauder cav, a couple different hound units, and some spawns.

And the "theme" of the army worked itself out quite nicely, thanks for all the advice, everyone.

BTW: Don't you think that having "Jinxed" as your avatar will proove an actual jinx when gaming?

Hasn't hurt my Ogres one bit yet, I do quite well with them, but good catch on the reference. ;)

Neknoh
18-09-2007, 17:00
Love the game, despite myself always trying to use the dynamite in the first vault you get to and thus being blown up, haven't experienced much more of the game than that unfortunately... is it even possible to find a chip in that vault?

As for Spawns, the new plastic box looks rather good, just some legwork on the Spawns and they'd be ace.... oh, and you get two of them, this is why I like it when Chaos Space Marines are released and GW try to drive their sells up :p

As for the theme, just realised that for effectiveness of the army, you might also want to include one normal Sorceror at 2k, simply to get more than two levels of Casting. Justification for this is easy, the Sorceror records the victories of the Khornate and Tzeentchian champions as well as preventing the Tzeentchian champion from trying to draw the Khornate troops to his side. Also, you could then mount the Exalted in one of the Chariots and put the sorceror whereever you'd see fit (and where he'd be able to go).

This would lead to something like:

Exalted Champion of Chaos Undivided
- doh-dahs

Sorceror of Chaos undivided
- lvl 2, doh-dahs

Exalted of Khorne
Exalted of Tzeentch
- both with doh-dahs

24 Marauders
- your choice of weapon setup, Full Command, housing Khornate champion

24 Marauders
- your choice of weapon setup, Full Command, housing Tzeentchian champion

and then you'd still have Knights, one Chariot and the Warriors to mark as you'd see fitting for the theme, and then you'd add in the Horsemen and the Daemonic units, ét vóila

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 19:10
Well, I'm pretty stoked about that sort of theme. Divide the army in half, with some undivided in the middle to pull them together. My opponent gets raging khorne units up one side of the battle field - marauders, chariot bloodletters- tzeentch magic up the other side - screamers and exhalted casters and stuff, and some undivided warrior/cav/chosen up the middle.

I'm pretty happy with that plan, and even if it's not the most competative, it's got a fun theme, and each half of my army will play different from the other side of the board. Cool :D

Putty
18-09-2007, 19:33
wow kadrium! u look all kit out.

playing undivided is always good. it allows you to get a real feel of how chaos plays. I think playing a mix of undivided and khorne is rather snazzy. ;)

good buy with them maruaders, they are actually best if you have 2 units of 20 - 25 (5 x 5 or 5 x 4 ranks) and stick a character inside both or 1 of them.

basically you look like you have an army that plays in 2 waves. the 1st wave stops warmachines from firing and slows down the advancement (if any) while your slower stuff catch up.

chariots are good shock units, they help soften units up, but don't expect them to live for long.

try and have your general on horseback, an exhalted champion on barded steed attached to a knight unit and getting a flank charge on an enemy unit that is engaged is always gold.

I usually don't field less than 15 warriors (if khorne) in a unit. and at least 20 if undivided. but they are expensive point wise and its usually 3 (marauders) : 1 (warrior) ratio in an almost mortal army.

if you plan on bumping your army towards 3000 pts, you might want to invest in alot of marauders and a unit of mounted daemonettes. other long term investments perhaps is a unit of furies and about 20 warhounds. (rather expensive metal models :-/) and maybe a hellcannon just for fun. ;)

chaos is a fun army to play becoz you have so many options. i'm skeptical if they will still be this fun if they get an army book redux, but have a bomb meanwhile! :D

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 20:35
Thanks for the advice :) I'm taking it all on board and trying to plan out a few smaller augmenting purchases in the future. Sounds like I'm good to go on warriors for now with 24 - I did get one more box last night - but I'll be looking into at least one more box of marauders and a little more cav, and then expanding the khorne and tzeentch daemon units, and going with the split army theme.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Khorghan
18-09-2007, 21:34
You said you dont like the number of chaos warriors which comes in the box, however since warriors are so expensive your not going to want to have any in the back doing nothing, 2 rows of 6 is perfect.

Kadrium
18-09-2007, 21:44
Looks like I have 2 units then.

I don't mind having this army expand well above 2k, I have friends that can easily field 3-4k. 12 chaos warriors really is enough for a single unit at 2k? 15 in 3 ranks of 5 is overkill?

Salyx
19-09-2007, 00:41
Well I think that Chaos Warriors are very strong as defensive Unit- 18 Warriors with shields and mounted BsB joining them aren't too expensive and can stop nearly anything. 12 Chaos Warriors standing 2x6 are only good when they got 2 attacks and Halberds or Great weapons.
Have you thought about buying another box of Knights yet? Then you could play 2 Units of Knights,one Chosen and one with the mark of Khorne. any other things you should get for a Chaos army have already been said...oh and if you don't want to spend too much money for the doggies have a look at the goblin wolf rider's wolves or at the dire wolves...they can also be used as Chaos Hounds but cost less...though the Chaos miniatures look better imo...

Kadrium
19-09-2007, 01:16
I'll post an army list for what I'm planning once I have one written up. I have indeed considered another unit of knights, however due to the way the "theme" of the army accidentally developed, I'm not too concerned about getting them immediately.

Roughly, right now, I'll have:

Center-
Lord undivided in unit of chosen knights
Sorceror undivided in unit of marauders

One flank-
Exalted of Khorne in a unit of chaos warriors of khorne
Chariot of Khorne

Other flank-
Exalted of Tzeentch in a unit of chaos warriors of tzeentch
Screamers

Where needed-
Marauder cav (flails I guess? throwing weapons not so good?)

That gives me the lord and his personal attendant undivided in the center, overseeing the competing khorne and tzeentch factions fighting on his flanks.

Khorghan
19-09-2007, 01:22
you want to get extra attacks on a std 5 wide unit. make them chosen id say.

Kadrium
19-09-2007, 01:24
The warriors? I was looking to run them in 2 ranks of 6.

Edit: Potential list is now posted in this thread. (http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-army-lists/103473-2k-chaos-mortals-no-idea-what-i-m-doing-post1925008.html#post1925008)