PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves Questions for all you Fig Leaf and Wannabe Fig Leaf coalition members

AllTheWayUlthwe
17-09-2007, 22:51
Hi there everyone!

I bought two of the wood elf battalion box sets and I thought I would have all of the CORE troops I ever would need. I am not sure if it is? I have a load of archers and 24 dryads. I also have 20+ glade riders.
What my questions are:

1. Do I need to have more dryads, I have like 24? I want to steer clear of TOO many WOOD things in my army as I am going for a Winter theme and according to the fluff the tree things sleep during the winter.

2. Are Glade Riders all they are cracked up to be? Are they really good to take in every game?

3. Do I need more archers? I am not sure how many I actually have(I think like 48), but are 2 Batt. Boxes of them enough?

4. What Specials do ou think I need to have? I don't want any Treekin as they REALLY won't fit the theme. So what do you fellas think about Warhawk Riders and are Wardancers a MUST?

5. Are Way Watchers all that good to take in a WE army?

6. Do I need to have a Treeman to be competative? I realize I don't have anything that hits hard in HtH. Is shooting units and harrasing the flanks enough?

OK, those are alot of questions. But what do you think I should get next?

shadowghost
18-09-2007, 03:41
1. 24 Dryads should be enough, especially with the winter themed army.
2. I don't have much experience with Glade Riders, though I have heard they are very useful
3. You should have more than enough archers now for 2000-3000 point games.
4. I think you will need wardancers and probably some wild riders, so that you have something that can deal with armor. Str 5 might not be the best, but between that, a flank charge, and killing blow you should be ok. But I would definitely have one unit of both of wardancers and wild riders. The warhawk riders will be useful too, though I've not used them so I don't have much to say about them.
5. Waywatchers are very useful for march blocking from turn one on, and every now and then they even killing blow something. I've won games because of them, but I don't think that you can expect that from them, their shooting is more of a bonus to me. Keep the unit size down and keep them hidden, march blocking.
6. The treeman isn't necessary, though it is useful to have something that can reliably hurt knights, and that you can be reasonably certain will not break.

Alathir
18-09-2007, 05:37
1. 24 Dryads is more than enough even if you weren't doing a winter theme (which I love by the way). So you will have ample dryads.

2. Glade riders have a 6+ armour save and are toughness 3. But despite these weaknesses they are some of the best fast cavalry in the game; being able to march 18" and then take 5 or 6 arrow shots at an unsuspecting mage with no shooting penalties for movement is very deadly. They also fulfill a very important role in a wood elf army. That is their ability to flee as a charge reaction, since so many of the wood elf combat units are immune to psychology it is highly valuable to have a unit that can flee, auto rally due to their fast cavalry rule and open up awesome charges for your wild riders, wardancers etc.

3. 48 should be more than enough archers. In a winter theme you will probably only need 30 max. 3 Units of 10 will probably be the way to go.

4. I would say that wardancers and Wild Riders (although they arent completely thematically correct... or am I wrong?) are a definite must. I've seen wardancers make a mockery of just about every unit in the game; chosen chaos, temple guard, grail knights, black orcs, you name it. Two or maybe three units is enough. Wild Riders are also fantastic, causing fear on the charge is a definite plus and their 18" movement is awesome. Wild Riders led by a Wild Rider highborn are deadly.

5. Waywatchers are either game winning or the biggest non event ever. I never see a middle ground with these guys. They will either killing blow 4 grail knights or fail to hit that lone mage you want dead. Regardless I would still recommend them, they are fantastic march blockers (not to mention excellent at dealing with those dreaded Night Goblin fanatics) Two units, while expensive, is alot of fun. Plus, they have a 'cool' factor that is hard to beat.

6. You don't need a Treeman to be competitive. But lacking some hard hitting units like the Treeman and Treekin will just force to play a more tactical game which revolves around picking your fights and ganging up on the enemy. Remember, a fair fight for wood elves is 2-3 of units versus one of the enemies.

If you want to be thematically correct, then definitely pick up some Eternal Guard. They suit your army perfectly and, in my opinion, are freaking awesome! Fantastic models and rules and the ability to be stubborn is great and they can deal out an obscene amount of attacks. Plus, keep a BSB nearby and with a stubborn Ld 9 break test with a re-roll... they wont be going anywhere. I would definitely invest in a unit of these, or maybe even 2 or 3.

Hope that helps!

ironfather512
18-09-2007, 17:36
not gonna number them cus i dont have answers to all.

wardancers are great and are great for the theme as they would be preforming in the winter feast. wild riders however would not be seen so much as they only go on the hunt in spring.

eternal guard are good . need a good block of them though to make them worth while

dont think you can have too many archers or riders.

Mudir Nahya
18-09-2007, 17:54
Good start to an ace army!

1. I'd say that 24 Dryads is enough. In fact, I use 20 at 2000pts (2*10).

2. They are your essential rank breakers. There are only a few units that can bust rank bonuses reliably- Glade Riders, Warhawk Riders, Eternal Guard (why would anyone take them?), Tree Kin and Wild Riders of Kurnous. As long as you take some out of these units, you'll be fine.

3. No you don't need more. You've got enough to do 2-3 units of Glade Guard and 1-2 units of Scouts- when below 3000pts are you going to use more?

4. Wardancers are an absolute must. The toss up between Warhawk Riders and Wild Riders is up to you- personally I find Warhawk Riders a bit fragile, but that's personally.

5. Yes and no. This is a unit that really depends on the rest of your army- I'd say in your case that you have enough shooting, and the odd random Lethal Shot won't make that much difference in most of your games. Although when I have taken them, they've so far killed Morathi, Eltharion, Mannfred von Carstein and Karl Franz!

6. Treemen just aren't worth it. A lot of points for your opponent to ignore or tie up with some pointless little 50pts bait unit.

I'd give some serious thought to the charachters you are going to have- a few close combat monkeys probably wouldn't go amiss.

Oh, and Eternal Guard?- think over-pointed Empire Spearmen. And why the hell would an army of light skirmishers, light cavalry and harassing bowmen have a bloody great chunk of rank-and-file to feed to the enemy. In a winter theme army I suppose it makes more sense- all the redudant members of Athel Loren huddle together like Penguins in a pointless effort to survive! Just my point of view obviously!

AllTheWayUlthwe
18-09-2007, 22:08
WOW Fellas! Thanks for your suggestions. I will definately take your advice.

I am with the last post stating that Eternal Guard are really high priced spearmen. I would rather take my army on the harrassing side of the spectrum and taylor them to ALMOST never get into HtH. If I can shoot you to death, then so much the better. I do realize that I will be in HtH and I will need to fight those fights on MY terms and so Wardancers will definately help out.

However, do you guys think 2 units is too many? Will I be a cheesemonger for taking 2 units of 10 wardancers?

Let em know.

Alathir
19-09-2007, 00:34
The Eternal Guard are a damn fine unit. Fact.

No other unit is nigh guaranteed to hold a charge like the Eternal Guard.

Zensunni
19-09-2007, 03:18
Plus with the WE army, a good part of it is loose, fast, skirmish units. Having a block of 20 Eternal Guard gives your opponent to focus on thus leaving you more room to manuever and get the charges you need. I cannot say how many times this has worked to my advantage. They are a good unit.

Treeman, worth every point. Another big thing for your opponent to focus on and guess what.....most people will avoid him, thus you better control the movement phase,which is where the WE excell.

Caradryan
19-09-2007, 04:42
I haven't left home without my treeman since I can remember playing welves. To me it's like a HE bolt thrower, you just gotta take em.

Satan
19-09-2007, 05:45
It's been working out great for me using Eternal Guard and treemen along with a battle standard, though I usually play them the pricey way with the Rhymer's Harp on a lord. It does work, but I'm not sure if I would bet on it in tournament play. A skirmishing army would be fun to try, though it relies on timely charges or being able to avoid the enemy and hit standing targets. I think they'd work well against bretonnians, in which case you'd probably need some sacrificial units.

One of the WE's greater weaknesses in my opinion however, is that it can be really hard for them to break through heavily armoured units. Regular infantry you'll go through like a scythe, but 2+ saves can give you some headaches.

The Old Scholar
19-09-2007, 07:04
AllthewayUlthwe,
Does an ice-draped forest dragon fit with you winter scheme?
You can skip the Treeman and use the dragon instead.
I love Wardancers and Wildriders.
Eternal Guard are great as well but not a must.

RavenBloodwind
19-09-2007, 17:48
I think you're well on your way with the models you have. I frequently play with absolutely zero forest spirits and have yet to see this as a disadvantage.

48 Gladeguard is plenty, although taking more can work very well it tends to make your opponent use bad language and think too much about throwing things.

Glade riders are fantastic and I never bring less than 2 units to a game. That said, I almost never let them get into combat. They are great march-blockers and war machine hunters. If needed they can put in a flank or rear charge in support of a skirmishing melee unit to remove ranks but they are so fragile they tend to just add combat res to the opponent.

Wardancers are simply fantastic. Bring them. Two 10-man units is not over-the-top although units of 8 are probably big enough as the guys who aren't in the fighting rank contribute nothing.

Warhawks are, well, flying cav. I can't seem to use them worth a damn and have given up and just take an extra unit of glade riders. That said, if you can use flyers competently they should work fine.

Wild riders are powerful but thematically a poor choice for your winter theme.

Waywatchers are great as they scare the hell out of many an opponent and make them do silly things. The opponent who simply gives them a slightly wide birth will make them very ineffective. The opponent who chases them into woods or shoots at them will make you smile.

Treemen are absolutely not necessary for a successful WE army. Many people find them too useful not to take but I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a treeman and I've never really been thrilled with his performance. I much prefer to take 2 blocks of troops and a few magic trinkets for my characters which ends up costing the same points.

As to eternal guard, they're effective and thematically correct for a winter army. I personally don't use them but it has more to do with the notion of blocks of spearmen in dense forest being silly (like an Empire engineer using a long rifle from horseback, yeesh) than not being useful.

Highborn
20-09-2007, 01:22
1. Do I need to have more dryads, I have like 24? I want to steer clear of TOO many WOOD things in my army as I am going for a Winter theme and according to the fluff the tree things sleep during the winter.

A true winter-themed army should not have any forest spirits. Don't sacrifice theme for fluff, and don't confuse a paint job with theme.

2. Are Glade Riders all they are cracked up to be? Are they really good to take in every game?
Yes and yes. A single unit of 5, with a muso, is one of the most versatile units the Wood Elves have access to. After that first unit though, you're going to run out of things to do with them.

3. Do I need more archers? I am not sure how many I actually have(I think like 48), but are 2 Batt. Boxes of them enough?
More than enough. I assembled 2 units of 10, used 21 to convert a unit of Eternal Guard and the rest found their way into other conversions or are sitting in by bits box waiting to become scenic bases for my new Tomb Kings.

4. What Specials do ou think I need to have? I don't want any Treekin as they REALLY won't fit the theme. So what do you fellas think about Warhawk Riders and are Wardancers a MUST?
Treekin might fit the theme better than dryads - they're spirits inhabiting lumps of dead wood. Lesson - don't take dryads. Warhawk Riders lend themselves well to the shooty-movey army you'll be playing without your forest spirit backbone. Wardancers are a must for an army without forest spirits - they and Eternal Guard will form your combat backbone.

Yes, they're good. Personally, I don't take them, but the few times I have I came to two conclusions. Firstly, a Treeman is better use of my rare slots. Secondly, an Eagle is even better than a Treeman (one Eagle. Never two.)

6. Do I need to have a Treeman to be competative? I realize I don't have anything that hits hard in HtH. Is shooting units and harrasing the flanks enough?
Do you want to be competitive or fluffy? Winter-themed Wood Elves need delicate execution. It's why every major invasion in Wood Elf history has happened during winter. It's a challenging list to use, but winning without forest spirits will be rewarding (and meet with less cries of cheese). Try running 5-man scout units with the march blocking banner - gives you some more time to shoot.

But what do you think I should get next?
Alters are a great thing, but they can be easily made out of dryads and glade guard parts. You've really covered everything, bar one. I've learnt the most important purchase for any Wood Elf player is a small wood, no more than 6" in diameter ...

Putty
20-09-2007, 02:31
Hi there everyone!

I bought two of the wood elf battalion box sets and I thought I would have all of the CORE troops I ever would need. I am not sure if it is? I have a load of archers and 24 dryads. I also have 20+ glade riders.
What my questions are:

24 Dryads is enough to have a rotation between 8 to 12 Dryads a unit. If you decide to go Dryad heavy in future, you can bump it up to 40. ;) A tip I can give you about Dryads is with your leftover parts, you can actually make additional Dryads but you would need the torso bit. Look around and try to get them from places like The Warstore and you save heaps on additional units. ;) I got 32 Dryads for the price of 24. ;)

Glade Riders are very good if you have a big enough table to have them harass the enemy. If you can slip them behind the enemy lines (literally behind), they can weaken units simply by shooting and be never in range for a retaliation charge. They are also used to bait the opponent to charging. They flee 3d6, hence you can bait your opponent into range of your wardancers or dryads, treeman etc...

Usually, a 2k WE army houses just 2 units of Glade Guards. Anymore and you have difficulty with army composition ratios and space to field other units.

Wardancers are pretty much staple. 2 units (usually with a lord) between 6 - 9 are highly recommended. Warhawk Riders are good for rear harassment or warmachine stoppers.

Subjective unfortuately. They are pretty much overpriced scouts (sorry to them waywatcher fans). Their Lethal Shot ability is good but not that good. Fielded in units between 5 - 8, its quite hard to roll lethal shots enmassed, unless you are very lucky. But they fill the same role as Warhawk Riders, they are used to shock, delay and distract the enemy while the rest of your army marches into range.

They are as expensive as Warhawk Riders, but WHR has more flexibilty because it can fly and hence has a longer range. Most of the time I swap out WW and WHR and just field another Treeman :p

Its quite hard not to have a Treeman. He is very good as a hammer unit. You can swap him out and go for a few more units of Dryads or Wardancers, but it will deny you abit of flexibility. Mr Treeman also has another use. The fear factor. Players hate the Treeman and by fielding one, you can actually use that to your favor.

OK, those are alot of questions. But what do you think I should get next?

You are pretty much set. Except for various special and rare units like Treeman, WHR, Wardancers, you can field an army that consists only of core troops. Its a good starting point because core troops are the bases of any army.

WOW Fellas! Thanks for your suggestions. I will definately take your advice.

I am with the last post stating that Eternal Guard are really high priced spearmen. I would rather take my army on the harrassing side of the spectrum and taylor them to ALMOST never get into HtH. If I can shoot you to death, then so much the better. I do realize that I will be in HtH and I will need to fight those fights on MY terms and so Wardancers will definately help out.

However, do you guys think 2 units is too many? Will I be a cheesemonger for taking 2 units of 10 wardancers?

Let em know.

2 units of 10 wardancers is hardly cheese. but its quite un-necessary because your are suppose to screen them with dryads and such and use them only as a flank charger. Fielding just 2 units of 7 saves you points and has just enough numbers to survive the footslog if they accidently get into some range trouble (which shouldn't happen in the 1st place. Bare in mind that WD are flank / rear chargers, so at any one time, only 5 - 6 will be in combat. Having anymore will render the remainding numbers just... dancing around.

You might want to field 10 in the beginning, but as you gain experience with your army, you will shave them numbers. Having a unit of 10 WD is a solid way to be sure at least a good number will get into combat. But remember not to charge them front first into a enemy unit, because they will

1) fail their C.R and flee.
2) crumble after the charge because they are only T3 (their ward saves are quite rubbish.)

IMHO, WE aren't that great at shooting because they don't own any warmachines. Their BS is good but S is low (even the GG's S4 shots @ close range can sometimes be too little, too late). Their arrows will have difficulty killing anything that has T4 + (Trust me I know this... I play against medium armored armies all the time).

Their shooty-ness is best aimed at badly armored, low T units (mainly cannon fodder or maybe that warmachine?) so that you have less units to kill, avoid and hit the more important units of the enemy (usually the hammer units).

There is a player who fields Eternal Guard heavy lists (at one point he fielded 70 eternal guards) and was very successful. However, I don't think you need to go that way, you got enough stuff atm to give you enough variaty.