PDA

View Full Version : Base size Sheet

Grunge
18-09-2007, 16:51
There was one of these sheets with base sizes for everything handed out in a past WD, i searched online but couldn't find any active link, can anyone help me get this?

Atrahasis
18-09-2007, 16:57
Hmm, you're right, GWUK seem to have removed it.

Guess that means it isn't current any more.

EDIT : File is still there, only the page has been removed : http://uk.games-workshop.com/download/download.htm?/warhammer/base-chart/assets/base-chart.pdf

Guillius
18-09-2007, 17:42
wow, glad I found that, very nice reference.

Atrahasis
18-09-2007, 18:29
It's actually a pretty poor reference. There are several errors still in it despite that being the 2nd or 3rd revision. Perhaps that's why there are no live links to it any more.

Voltaire
18-09-2007, 21:59
Hello one and all,

When modelling a unit, does base size actually matter?

What would happen if, for example, I modelled some zombies on 25mm bases - would you all object to that?

Grunge
18-09-2007, 22:28
It has an impact game-wise in, for example, 5 Zombies on 25mm bases have a larger unit front than on 20mm. That can be used on your favor on some circumstances or in favor of your opponent.

Other than that its quite easy to mentally do the maths on whats in base contact with what.

Last but not least, thank thee for your finding, Atrahasis.

ZomboCom
18-09-2007, 23:01
Yes, it matters, and will really annoy some opponents. Don't do it unless you have a really good reason.

Kadrium
20-09-2007, 03:23
Models put on 25mm bases instead of 20mm bases take less hits against stonethrowers, and can contact more models total in base-to-base contact, just for starters. It would annoy me to play against someone who had models miss-based, though I don't think I'd outright refuse to play someone with that setup, unless they started abusing it somehow.

Urgat
20-09-2007, 10:27
Yeah, same, that's one of the few things I think I'd actually frown upon. Wouldn't refuse to play you still, but huge blocks oz zombies blocking the way in every direction would probably be a pain.

warlord hack'a
20-09-2007, 11:23
base sizes are there with a reson, so NO you can not put things ona larger or smaller base than they come. Period.

huitzilopochtli
20-09-2007, 17:47
bigger base sizes are a worse idea for you than your opponent in H2H. for example if you are charged by a single model with a 20mm base size and you have a 25mm base, your opponent will get all his attacks and you will get one less back than if you had been on 20mm base sizes. this may not seem like a lot on paper, but when playing it can mean the difference between slaying a character and having your unit broken.

they're an advantage to you when it comes to templates in most cases.

and as well as these things they mess up maneuvering, taking up more space than they should, blocking charges they shouldn't etc. keep base sizes the same.

Crazy Harborc
21-09-2007, 01:40
A new opponent shows up with an army containing a/several/all units on the wrong size bases.....for a friendly game. I would talk to him and try to find out what gives......Why the larger (or smaller), the wrong size bases. If I find out he(she)is new to the game.......I would play against them......maybe. Unless they have a real good reason....NO game.

Wrong size bases for a "friendly game"?? Wrong size by their choice?? The possible motives I can think of boil down to...well, cheating, trying to gain advantages that were not intended by the game designers.;)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
21-09-2007, 01:52
Hey, if I decided that all my Bretonnian knights were flying, would you object? Most likely, and I'd hope so because that's not part of their rules. The base size is also a part of the rules, otherwise GW wouldn't produce those handy little sheets or send you the correct size bases in with the models. Let's just stick to the rules, shall we?

Kadrium
21-09-2007, 12:48
Its easy to make a mistake or glue the wrong base on something, though.

My wife just bought the wood elf battalion box, and started cutting out dryads and sticking them on bases. She'd never really put together very many models before, I wasn't paying close attention, and neither of us were very familiar with wood elves, so it was 8 or 9 models into the process that we realized she was putting the dryads on 20mm when they should go on 25mm. We were using plastic glue, so it was rather impossible to remove most of them, since it had dried.

Mistakes happen. If it was an honest mistake, I'd still play the person.

Griefbringer
21-09-2007, 13:14
Back in the 3rd edition the base size was part of the official rules for every creature type.

Why they dropped that with 4th edition is still a mystery to me, as well as why it has not been re-introduced to army books since then (it would only take a maximum quarter page per book).