PDA

View Full Version : Chaos MSU tactics?

Gamgee
31-08-2005, 08:21
Hello to you all,

I've been absent in the fgantasy game for 2 years or so and ready to start again. Now I've been reading some real nice MsU tactics for Dark Elves and I was wondering if this could be used in chaos mortals as well.

I realy like the chaos warriors modelwise, but big units cost to much compared to marauders. Could using small marauders unit combined with small chaos warrior units work? Or is their M4 to big of a problem? Doe anyone have experience with this?

Greetings,

Gamgee

Hrath Dreadaxe
31-08-2005, 08:59
I carnt realy see it working as chaos dont really have the Manoeuvrability to pull it off, if you did a slaaneshi daemon leagion then yes otherwise no, you could do a chaos cav army? They work well from personal Experience

athamas
31-08-2005, 09:04
from what i have heard/am starting...

small units of knights are good, lots of them, and mob big units and try to break them...

im doing slaanesh, so will be using the hero mounted of steed tactic, to have fun, and combined with a flank charge of mounted deamonenets the idea should work...

the point with MSU is you need lots of small fast [M5+] hard hitting units,

cavarly fill this, as do deamonets sometimes....

Hrath Dreadaxe
31-08-2005, 11:19
That exactly what i do, i play a slaaneshi cavelry army with lord on steed of slaa, well exalted

Frankly
01-09-2005, 12:40
All cavalry khorne msu is friggen awesome.

The biggest thing to remember is SUPPORT units, warhounds/furies/chariots are just as important as khorne cavalry.

The above all else support units will get your frenzied units into combat, then they'll flank, they'll go after warmachines/mages/etc, etc.

You khorne units will deal the damage out in combat and add dispel dice to your armylist.

My mates all cavalry khorne is one of the most successful all-round armies around these parts.

Hrath Dreadaxe
01-09-2005, 12:51
Although khorne can be devastating they have a real ecealies heel in frenzy, you must be confident you can control frenzy, your best bet would be slaanesh if you want to include magic and undivided otherwise

Frankly
01-09-2005, 13:02
they have a real ecealies heel in frenzy

No, I disagree, .

If well supported , then frenzy isn't a issue.

For example, 4 undivided chariots, furies, 2 units of fast cavalry and anything between 40 to 60 warhounds can easily get the rest of your army going in the right direction.

Hrath Dreadaxe
01-09-2005, 13:21
and anything between 40 to 60 warhounds can easily get the rest of your army going in the right direction. One moment 40-60 hounds! lol sorry but that is a dam lot of hounds.

And that is alot of points sucked into support, i am not saying it carnt be done and i am not saying it canrt be done affectively, i am just saying you need to be clever around the way you do it, a clever opponent will just lead you all over the place

Gaius Marius
01-09-2005, 19:19
Aren't hOunds like 6pts each?

In a 2000pt game 240 to 360 pts on units of hounds is nothing. You could afford to lose them every game and still win.

Oh course 8 to 12 units of 5 hounds each would also give you the lock on deployment, as you would almost certainly see your opponents whole army before he saw anything but hounds...

Hrath Dreadaxe
01-09-2005, 23:17
Right 360 points is fairly steep, its more than a unit of knights, + that wasnt the point, would you fork out 180 on hounds? I dont think so

Frankly
02-09-2005, 05:57
One moment 40-60 hounds! lol sorry but that is a dam lot of hounds.

And people wonder why their khorne troop never make it into combat. :rolleyes:

Is 240-360pts of W.hounds worth it ... yes.

They are an EXCELLENT support unit for all cavalry armies, just like chariots and flyers.

They are the only core unit that can keep up and screen knights, flank charge with knights, set up charges with flee reactions, they can deal with things like warmachines etc, etc.

In combat they all important ranks and numbers, khorne knights will do the rest.

They're the perfect msu support units(due to mobility and points cost) if you want to go like on unit strength in your list.

User Name
02-09-2005, 16:04
doggies in ranks are bad as they panic easy and if things go wrong and you loose your frenzy then the knights will have to take panic from doggies running. That being said however I do love doggies, there so usefull, but with that many they woulr probably end up blocking charges for the knights. I run 3 units of 5 in 1500 and I find that unless my opponent takes the bait then they are just a hinderance moreso them a help.

Frodo34x
02-09-2005, 16:46
Right 360 points is fairly steep, its more than a unit of knights, + that wasnt the point, would you fork out 180 on hounds? I dont think soUse wolves. 8 for 18 , comes to 90 for 40. Add in the fact you can sell off the goblins, It gets quite a bit cheaper.

Frankly
05-09-2005, 06:08
doggies in ranks are bad as they panic easy and if things go wrong and you loose your frenzy then the knights will have to take panic from doggies running.

I don't understand, Khorne of immune to pyche. Doggies have the same L.d. within 12" of the general as anyone else.

At foddo, I have around 80 dire wolves for my V.C. army, those wolves get used in my Ulric army, my BoC etc, etc. It's the way to do it on the cheep.

jma037
05-09-2005, 06:26
I'm experimenting with a 4+1general knight unit with two 5 men horsemen unit and some doggies for screening in my marauder list. Check it out here. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10661

Could this set up work?

Cheers for any comments.

MarcoPollo
07-09-2005, 03:05
Too many units can also mess up your own battle lines. You start to figure out the "speed bumps" in the way and your units wait until the last turns to get into combat.

I prefer to use beasts as a screen. But what is more important for me is to use waves of attack.

I think of my army in sets of two or three waves. Shock troops first like chosen knights, giant. These are generally fast moving units/characters. I use them to hit my opponents line. If they break through, then good. If they break themeselves, still good as they usually won't get caught. They can regroup and charge late in the game to win those expensive last stand fights. If the shock troops stick to fight more rounds that too is good because they usually are nasty, killy fighters.

I expect them to get broken and I also expect them to regroup. If I can I like to pick on a weak unit that I can break and get in behind enemy lines. The key is to not make them too expensive with standards and musicians or even heros or marks. This allows you to spend more points on the second wave.

The second wave is designed to have lots of rank and numbers. They are not meant to win by killing alone. This includes huge marauder units, huge beast herds, and medium size wariors.

Usually these slower foot troops get charged and thus must remain tough to kill. Their numbers make up for their lack of kill power.

Hopefully, your shock troops have hurt your opponent bad enough that what he send sagainst you will not have the power that they had at the begining. If any of your shock troops have broken his lines, this makes his movement that much more dire and will charge units when he may not be completely ready.

Sambojin
08-09-2005, 05:06
Seriously, buy 6 boxes of gobbo wolf riders. You get 60 warhounds of chaos, 60 wolf riders, 60 dire wolves, 60 middenheim wolves and a bog load of bits for your box. buy 3-5 boxes of empire knights and you've got yourself an MSU army of 3-4 kinds.