PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cavalry Reforming

Lorquas
19-09-2007, 16:11
Hi

It says in rules that when Fast Cavalry flee as a charge reaction that if they rally next turn they reform and can then move in the remaining moves phase.

Can they move in the remaining moves phase if they rally from a panic test? Or from breaking from a Combat?

Thanks

Lorquas

Bloodknight
19-09-2007, 16:13
No, only after fleeing voluntarily.

Festus
19-09-2007, 16:55
And only if they rally in the very next turn. They may not fail their rally test once, then rally in the second try and then move and shoot...

Festus

EvC
19-09-2007, 17:42
Random addition to thread: since Fast Cavalry can reform freely while marching, if they reform into a single rank (cost about two inches movement), and then wheel 180 degrees (costing an inch or so), then reform to face the other direction, and then wheel 180 degrees again etc etc etc. then they can travel virtually anywhere on the table as long as it's unimpeded :D

Masque
19-09-2007, 17:47
EvC, you might want to read the paragraph on Free Reform again. It specifically limits the distance moved by individuals models to double their Movement.

EvC
19-09-2007, 17:59
Let's see, 2" reform, then a reform to face in the other direction costs 0 movement, repeat 10 times, the models have moved 2" from reforming. It's the wheel that gives them the ability to move so far, not the reform.

Atrahasis
19-09-2007, 18:17
The "no more than double movement" rule applies to the actual distance the model has moved, not how far it has moved forward (wheels/normal movement).

In other words, there is a circle with radius 2xM" around each model in the unit before it starts moving, and each model must stay within its own circle, despite free reforms.

EvC
19-09-2007, 19:28
Oh well twas worth a try :D

Festus
19-09-2007, 22:40
By the way: Fast cavalry *reforms* they do not *change formation*, and the reform for fast cavalry actually is free, as it usually costs all the movement of a unit.

So in effect, a fast cav unit can mova to any spot it likes as long as no member of the unit moved more than its M yalue (or double if able to march) from the starting pont to the end point.

Festus

logan054
19-09-2007, 23:36
EvC you really worry me at times, im sure you just looks for loop holes at times..

Griefbringer
20-09-2007, 08:42
Well, looking for odd loopholes and inconsistencies in the rules is a popular hobby on this forum, because it can give you the bragging rights over the developers. :evilgrin:

Actually using those loopholes in the battle against enemy should be generally frowned upon, though. :eyebrows:

warlord hack'a
20-09-2007, 11:17
athrasis gives a good description of how far any model can move, does this finally mean everybody can close the 'fanatic slingshot' topic? I have always played using the 2*M rule (expect for chariots, warmachines etc, who just have M unless charging), but those who say that technically the fanatic slingshot is not illegal kept denying this rule..

EvC
20-09-2007, 11:24
But then the loophole I suggested has reforming in it, where the models are specifically banned from moving more than their usual march distance, the Fanatic slingshot (which did make me think of the Fast Cavalry reform thing) does not need any reform, so it can still work, technically, even though it shouldn't...

warlord hack'a
20-09-2007, 11:33
but the 2M rule is also mentioned under Movement in general, or not? Aaagh, I am half the world away from my rulebook and I need it.. (currently in Taipei whereas my rulebook is in the Netherlands so there you go..)

Rytter
21-09-2007, 12:00
Hi,
A quick question: What is a fanatic slingshot?

Festus
21-09-2007, 13:39
Quick answer: An probably illegal manoeuvre which is highly debated.

Long answer:
You position a unit of 20NGobbos sideways to the enemy, all in one long line, 1 wide, 20 deep. Then, in your turn, you wheel the unit towards your own table edge, until the last NG is across the table and within 8" of the enmey. Bingo! Fanatics are released...

This only works if you just measure the front model's wheel /which is a fraction of an inch), and move the rest *along*, when the last NGobbo moves about 16" or so...

Festus

Atrahasis
21-09-2007, 14:44
Quick answer: An probably illegal manoeuvre which is highly debated.Jervis has said that it is legal, though I take everything he says with a pinch of salt, for various reasons.

It's actually easier in 7th ed because they got rid of snaking.

Kadrium
21-09-2007, 14:50
Whether you believe it's illegal or not, it's a shameless abuse of the rules that could quite possibly result in physical violence.

Festus
21-09-2007, 15:49
Jervis has said that it is legal, though I take everything he says with a pinch of salt, for various reasons...
Could one of those reasons possibly be thought to be along the lines of

*sheesh, I knew it, he is slowly losing his last marbles ... what a shame ...*?

:evilgrin:

Festus