PDA

View Full Version : 2 Baneblades = 1 Stormhammer - Discuss

boogle
19-09-2007, 23:28
I've always been a big fan of the Stormhammer Superheavy tank and every time i place an order with FW i ask them to make one, but as of yet to no avail, however i was having a brain storm today and thought 'i wonder if it's possible to make a Stormhammer with 2 plastic Baneblade kits?', what brought me onto this is the fact you can place the sponsons anywhere therefore, 2 sets of Sponsons from each kit could make the 8 Twin Linked Heavy Bolters that a Stormhammer has, then i hit a problem, the hull parts as it has two turrets with Twin Cannons (i would probably class them as long barrelled Demolisher Cannons), and i am really not sure how to go about working this part of the conversion.

For those that want to have an idea of what the Stormhammer would be like, think of a Baneblade Chassis with 2 basic Macharius turrets and a bog load of Heavy Bolters

Any ideas, criticisms, thoughts?

Karnage
19-09-2007, 23:32
Well I was looking at the Apocalypse book at my local GW, and both the Hellhammer and Baneblade have the upgrade options to add another two sponsons to the tank, so I suppose as long as you're happy to keep either the Baneblade turret you could probably make a sort of semi-Stormhammer if it was possible to order sponsons separately.

Bunnahabhain
19-09-2007, 23:47
Actually two Baneblades build a Stormhammer and leave you a spare chassis for, say, a Shadowsword....

Khornies & milk
19-09-2007, 23:50
Are there any pictures of this Stormhammer Tank available?

Ddraiglais
20-09-2007, 00:00
Will there be bits available for the BB when the plastic BB comes out? If so, why would you buy two?

MrMojoZ
20-09-2007, 00:02
Will there be bits available for the BB when the plastic BB comes out? If so, why would you buy two?

Sometimes those bits end up costs just as much as buying a whole kit.

Karnage
20-09-2007, 00:04
Are there any pictures of this Stormhammer Tank available?

There's this picture from an article on the US GW site :

Stormhammer (http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/40k/imperialguard/painting/stormhammer/images/introb.jpg)

ehlijen
20-09-2007, 00:10
So far all the pictures of the stormhammer I have seen are from the computer game Epic: Final Liberation. There it did indeed look like boogle described it: a baneblade chassis with extra heavy bolter sponson 'turret' thingies (or just generic weapons, the scale was pretty small) a double cannon turret where the baneblade turret is and another where the baneblade demolisher sits.
The second turret is what's goint to be the problem. You'd probably need parts of the second hull the raise that section enough to make the turret be able to traverse over the the extra sponson turrets. You might even have to resort to a smaller turret to fit both turrets on, the problem being that a smaller turret won't fit two battlecannons (for which I'd suggest using the macharius double BC battery rules).

edit: thanks for the pic, karnage. Looks different from what I remember from Final liberation, but definitely easier to convert.

kris.sherriff
20-09-2007, 00:10
I think you should give up on the idea as I thought of it first dam you :p
I was planning on replacing the las cannons with heavy bolter's in addition to the twin linked ones which bring the total to 12 (still 2 short of the 14 it should have)
I would also use the rules for the macharius twin linked battle cannons from IA5 as it is supposed to be battle cannons rather than demolisher cannons (as far as I am concerned)
I am unfortunately not going to tell you how I was planning to mount the turrets, at least not until I have mine built first:skull:
Kris

IJW
20-09-2007, 00:32
You can see the old Epic models of the Baneblade, Shadowsword and Stormhammer here:

http://solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92414epicimpwarmachines-01.htm

Ddraiglais
20-09-2007, 02:00
Of course I'd rather see a (real) stormblade with Apocalypse coming. Those were awesome titan killers.

Clang
20-09-2007, 05:00
Well, 2 Baneblade kits = 1 Stormhammer + 1 really cool battlewagon. Now that's maths all us ork players can understand...

killa kan kaus
20-09-2007, 05:03
2 + 1 = 4 Now THATS math us orks can understand

boogle
20-09-2007, 06:36
The Stormhammer was actually armed with Cannon, they were different to Battle Cannons, and when discussing this with my friend i would essentially make the a long Barrelled Strength D weapon

Agamemnon2
20-09-2007, 07:31
I was always under the impression that the Stormhammer's cannons were inferior to a Baneblade's, hence there being more of them? I seem to recall the current Epic stats support this POV.

Calden
20-09-2007, 08:22
Yeah, four normal battlecannons from what I remember. I think it was much more of a support tank, unlike the Baneblade which is more of a battletank. Where the Stormblade can massacre more infantry, or lighter vehicles with ease thanks to multiple cannons, the Baneblade packs more punch against harder targets with both it's main gun, and it's demolisher cannon.

kris.sherriff
20-09-2007, 08:42
The Stormhammer was actually armed with Cannon, they were different to Battle Cannons, and when discussing this with my friend i would essentially make the a long Barrelled Strength D weapon

This information is taken from the final liberation game.
It is the base I used for planning out my Stormhammer but I see no reason why the reference to it having 4 cannons would mean anything other than battle cannons. Why make up a new gun that does the exact same thing as a battle cannon and call it a cannon?
Kris

Commisar BoB
20-09-2007, 08:47
There's this picture from an article on the US GW site :

Stormhammer (http://us.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/games/40k/imperialguard/painting/stormhammer/images/introb.jpg)

*looks at the pic* :eek:Dear lord I think I just pooped my pants. That thing is something I would not want to meet in a dark ally.....or gaming board.

But from a model view I can see taking two BBs and making that. It shouldnt be too hard.

RexTalon
20-09-2007, 09:04
*looks at the pic* :eek:

Eek indeed.

The rules may be good but that thing looks like crap if you ask me.
There's no way it could even carry the amount and size ammo it would need to fire ONE volley!

IJW
20-09-2007, 09:06
There's no way it could even carry the amount and size ammo it would need to fire ONE volley!
Sure, but you can say that about most GW models. ;)

WLBjork
20-09-2007, 10:15
My memory of Space Marine tells me the Stormhammer was armed with 4 Battle Cannon, 4 Lascannon, 12 Heavy Bolters.

Forget Final Liberation - just how many times were Heavy Bolters were called Tank Bolters and made inferior to actual Bolters?

As for it's role, I remember it being an assault tank, designed to get in close and batter things until they fell down.

The UnNamed One
20-09-2007, 10:24
From what i can see in that pic you should be able to make a nice stormhammer from 2 BB kits, you get the 2 main cannons, 2 demolisher cannons and the 4 sets of turrets needed then you could add some bits to other chasis and make it some kind of ork vehicle (Somone elses idea(Cant remember who))

Darnok
20-09-2007, 10:28
You can see the old Epic models of the Baneblade, Shadowsword and Stormhammer here:

http://solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92414epicimpwarmachines-01.htm

Looking at that picture I just realised: with two BB kits and enough CoD-parts (mainly Sanctum & Basilica) you could easily build a Leviathan. It would be expensive and sick, but oh so cool...

Ddraiglais
20-09-2007, 13:03
Would 2 BB kits be big enough for a leviathan? I thought a leviathan was closer to a capitol imperialis in size. The CI can carry like 4 BB IIRC.

Chaos and Evil
20-09-2007, 13:10
Would 2 BB kits be big enough for a leviathan? I thought a leviathan was closer to a capitol imperialis in size. The CI can carry like 4 BB IIRC.

The CI can carry 3 Leman Russ, not 4 Baneblades. :)

With two baneblade kits, you'd have everything you need except the twin-linked main cannons for the turrets.

For that, you'd need... I'm not sure... four Leman Russ cannon sprues?

Griefbringer
20-09-2007, 13:15
My memory of Space Marine tells me the Stormhammer was armed with 4 Battle Cannon, 4 Lascannon, 12 Heavy Bolters.

As for it's role, I remember it being an assault tank, designed to get in close and batter things until they fell down.

My copy of WD143 (page 71) tells me that "it is built for a close assault role and carries mostly short ranged weaponry. The Storm Hammer has two main turrets each carrying deadly cannons and four smaller turrets equipped with lighter bolters."

So no lascannons listed on the description or profile, nor shown in the picture. Statwise, the cannons seem similar to the battlecannon on Baneblade (same WD issue, page 70), but only have 2/3 of the range, so barrels about the size of battle-cannon but shorter should fit the bill.

Modelling-wise, Leman Russ Exterminator turrets could be an interesting choice, except that they are too small - but that would make for another tank type.

Spyros80
20-09-2007, 13:46
To the best of my knowledge, from old Epic models/fluff, and the excellent turn-based pc game "Final Liberation":

Super-Heavies' sponsons had a lascannon on top, and 3 independent BOLTERS (each with gunner). No twin-linked Hv.Bolter like today.
In "Final Liberation" I remember the Stormhammer having no less than 14 bolters that way. Also 4 lascannons and 4 battlecannons.

Now according to recent fluff from IA vol.1, "true" STC Baneblades have a mega-battlecannon with coaxial aytocannon, a demolisher cannon, 3 TL Hvbolters and 2 lascannons.
It says however that due to increased demand many forgeworlds, that don't have access to the true STC or materials, make their own versions with less powerful weapons or substitutes. Things like battlecannons only, or perhaps twin battlecannons.
So today, the Stormhammer may just be a downgraded Baneblade.

Sai-Lauren
20-09-2007, 16:59
To the best of my knowledge, from old Epic models/fluff, and the excellent turn-based pc game "Final Liberation":

Super-Heavies' sponsons had a lascannon on top, and 3 independent BOLTERS (each with gunner). No twin-linked Hv.Bolter like today.

Thought the sponsons were "Heavy Bolter (SwL3/SwR3)" in 1st edition epic (3 dice, 180 degree fire arcs around the centre line for each side).
(BB and SS - SH and SB appeared in 2nd edition).

AS already said, you'd need four Baneblade battlecannons for a Stormhammer, so unless there's any spare from the parts for Yarrick's turret, or you find some plastic pipe, you'll need four turrets worth - they don't just have two Baneblade turrets.
I think the SH was larger as well.

It's certainly doable, but it's a lot more cutting and gluing than simply dropping another couple of turrets on top.

Chaos and Evil
20-09-2007, 17:08
AS already said, you'd need four Baneblade battlecannons for a Stormhammer

For Leman Russ turrets more like, Storm Hammer cannons are smaller than Baneblade cannons.

MegaPope
20-09-2007, 19:56
Given the effect the Stormhammer's cannons used to have in 2nd Ed Epic - they hit harder than the 'Blade's guns (high save modifier for opponents) but at a shorter range (50cm as opposed to 75cm)

IMHO, your best bet would be long-barreled twin Demolishers.

Prior to Final Liberation, they were never armed with lascannons, only 'bolters' (there being no real distinction between bolters and heavy bolters in 2nd ed Epic: everything between 'bolter/lasgun/generic racial basic weapon' and 'lascannon/battlecannon/generic racial AT weapon' was generally referred to as an 'autocannon' regardless of what it actually was!)

Stormhammers were listed in Final Lib as 'heavy infantry support and armoured mass assault tanks' (I love that name!:D). The armament I envision them as mounting is two twin LB Demolishers in staggered superfiring turrets (turrets that fire over one another - think battleships after about 1912) with one set of twin Heavy Bolters in the hull in a sub-turret like the Baneblade's, and eight other sets of twin HBs in four sponsons.

And a pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber, of course;).