PDA

View Full Version : Cloak of mists and shadows and hienrich kemmler

Piet
31-08-2005, 10:04
in the new WD the rules for heinrich kemmler are described. but there is a difference between the cloak of mist and shadows in the WD and the one described in the VC army book. the difference being that the claok of mists and shadows in the VC book prhobits that the character wearing it to attack or use missle weapons. but the cloak of mists and shadows worn by heinrich kemmler says nothing about this if it did it would make his chaos tomb blade and the desiccating Grasp spell usseless.

so my question is can Heinrich Kemmler attack?

Yanos
31-08-2005, 10:18
I believe he can. Having read that article, almost everything Kemmler carries (including all his Spells!) are souped-up in some way or another. I would take it as it's written, he's meant to be in there as something of an uber-Necromancer (and he's got the points cost to prove it!) :D.

EDIT: I thought the VC Cloak just made you Ethereal, end of story? That doesn't preclude your attacking. Or is there text to say that you can't?

Piet
31-08-2005, 10:40
i will quote the text of cloak of mists an shadows.

This item can be used only by models on foot. the wearer is ethereal fot the entire game (see page 28). He may cast spells in this form, but cannot use missile weapons or strike blows in close combat, except against other Ethereal creatures

i think this is done to prevent having ethereal blooddragon vampire walking around.

Yanos
31-08-2005, 11:10
Ah fair enough :).

Given that Kemmler - a Special Character whose Items and options (and indeed spells!) cannot be changed - carries a Magic Weapon, and a spell which requires you to hit in combat (Desiccating Grasp), I think we can assume that the omission is intended, and the Lichemaster can engage in combat if he wishes.

Why he would wish to do that with just the one attack (even a Dessicating one!) is beyond me, but that's another story :D.

Piet
31-08-2005, 11:39
but the original cloak of mists and shadows remains the same i assume?

Why he would wish to do that with just the one attack (even a Dessicating one!) is beyond me, but that's another story :D .

yes i know also i don't understand why he has a chaos tomb blade. with one attack rerolling rolls to wound is not that good.

als i think dark hand of death is better then dessicating grasp. as dark hand of death autokills on a succesfull hit and desiccating grasp autokills on a wound.

Yanos
31-08-2005, 11:45
Guessing you mean Hand of Dust there :). 'Fraid I can't recall all the details of Kemmler's spells, but what I did notice was that it doesn't say the Tomb Blade is ignored once you have a Desiccating Grasp going on. So you get to re-roll to wound when you go in with the Grasp. Not too shabby really, plus I believe you get a Skeleton if you kill someone as well? Just like in the good ol' days ;).

But you're right, the VC Cloak remains as it is. No freebies there :).

Avian
31-08-2005, 12:16
Heh, I looked up Kemmler in the 5th edition army book and I must say that compared to the 5 WS7 S5 attacks he had back then, he's rather wussy now with his single WS3 S4 attack. :p

Yanos
31-08-2005, 12:41
Aw, what days those were! When men were men, and Necromancers were men as well! Rather spry old guys with big grey beards and mean sword arms :D! Who wouldn't love to have a WS7 octogenarian in their army, a 50-year practitioner of Nagash-fu :evilgrin:?

Ah well. His new rules are rather groovy nonetheless, even if he's not the combat monster he once was :).

Karhedron
02-09-2005, 20:40
but the original cloak of mists and shadows remains the same i assume?
I think so. The one printed in WD is for Kemmler only, the one in the army book applies to everyone else.