PDA

View Full Version : single or double troll?

warlord hack'a
20-09-2007, 10:48
I am stuck on a choice between either a single troll or two trolls in one unit. Downside of two trolls is that when one gets shot this might cause panic, you do not have this problem with single troll as the US is too low.

But the higher US of 2 trolls is also the main reason to use them: together they can potentially negate rank bonus, which is a threat to the enemy (though indeed more of a mental threat than an actual threat).

So what would you do?

sephiroth87
20-09-2007, 16:03
My main issue is that my troll units have to be within 12'' of my general because of stupidity. My general is typically within my orc infantry units in the middle of the table.

With that said, everyone lines up against the orc infantry units, so my trolls will never see the flank of an enemy until near the end of the game.

They can, however, combine charges against the front of a unit with my chariots or my infantry units. I've found that one troll can typically get into combat to combo with my other units, while two just get shot and panic my units.

The two single trolls are ideal when you're running the general in infantry. They might run better in one unit with a cavalry force.

Avian
20-09-2007, 16:49
^^ What he said. Single Trolls are much easier to use when supporting infantry as a bait and redirection unit, while units of two Trolls are better when used with a faster army as a combat support unit.

Braad
21-09-2007, 07:35
Considering the looks, I think trolls are one of the finest models in the army, and therefore I use them now and then, and always in units of 3 or 4. I'm not very proud of their fighting capabilities, especially because of their dependence on the general or a character that joined the unit, but since they are cool I still use 'm.
And when I use something, it's supposed to kill something (if it's big... I don't mind if gobbo's fail me a bit :P)

They have a better chance to be scary with US 12, especially against smaller troops of heavy cavalry (like 5, with US10) and can also do some good on their own with a potential of up to 12 attacks.

anuburos
21-09-2007, 08:41
I usually run 4 trolls in a unit and they suprisely never fail me per game! I either put my battle standard on boar with them or just keep them near the general in the first turn and run them up. If their stupid in the middle of the table somewhere..who cares. A big group of trolls in the middle of the table makes your enemy kinda worried because they are very resilient and effective until the last wound. Plus, they'll be in your generals leadship soon and pretty much waken up when the rest of your army is there. I play an all cav army and so I can get to activate again pretty soon.

Fredmans
21-09-2007, 13:27
Pretty much what has been said. One or four trolls are the best way to use trolls. Two or three is to fiddle around without any real gain. One troll is like a chariot, a support troup that is highly flexible and easy to use in support to your rather large blocks of troops. Four trolls can pack an incredible punch backed up by a character or a chariot. Two or three trolls are not enough to pack a punch, but still considerably more difficult to move than the lonesome troll. And 12 attacks are way better than 6 or 9 with S5, not to mention four vomits against those pesky knights.

Also, you do not need to field the character with the trolls. You can have your hero charge out on a boar or a wolf from an infantry block nearby.

/Fredmans, fellow troll-hugger

Braad
21-09-2007, 21:28
Ow... the vomits...

I can't forget the look on my opponents face when my trolls vomitted over his Dark Elf Cold One Knights... That's S5 autohit with no AS against T3 unit that is totally dependent on the AS...

Urgat
22-09-2007, 11:15
I usually take 4 river trolls, because they're extra hard, even if they're very expensive. I prefer the stone trolls ones, but their rules are so lame, well... Certainly not paying 60pts for that. And as for the regular trolls, I only take them if I'm short on points, a unit of trolls is already expensive, so I might as well add more points in it, -1 to hit is kind of a very good inssurance against anything melee.

warlord hack'a
24-09-2007, 09:27
okay thanks, will stick to single troll and a pump wagon (just for the fun of it). Will let you know in a months time how it went (will play 6 matches in one weekend end ofOctober..)

Urgat
24-09-2007, 11:21
get 2 pump wagons (2 for 1 rare slot), they're usually way worth their point.

warlord hack'a
24-09-2007, 14:54
either that, a troll and a base of snots (For redirecting etc) or a troll, a pump wagon and 2 bases of snots (my current setup). I think I love the pump wagons but I think I will love the sacrificial snot bases even mroe and they are a bit more reliable..