PDA

View Full Version : making one step by step list for the whole turn sequence

warlord hack'a
20-09-2007, 11:30
Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea to make one list which takes you through a Warhammer turn from start to finish, in the order in which you need to do things. So e.g in the close combat phase the sequence would be (I think, doing this from the top of my head): impact hits chariots, strike first & charging, strike first highest I, strike first lowest I, charging (forgot who goes first in the 'countercharge after pursuit into fresh enemy' situation), highest I, lowest I (in case equal then unit that won combat last round), strike last (unless charging), zombies.

This list will be a great aid in not forgetting things and getting clear when what is needed.

Now my question it three-fold:
1) Will this be legally allowed, I do not want to infringe on copyrights etc. Just make the gaming easier
2) What do you think of this idea, will it make gaming easier or just be a check list making the game boring as people forget less?
2) Are there people willing to contribute to the creation of this list by giving valuable input and start nice discussions on what is the correct order..

Urgat
20-09-2007, 14:08
1) dunno
2) winning because the guy in front of you forgot to do something is sad. It's a rather good idea methinks
2 :p ) I could discuss it, but to busy with my own stuff to participate, sorry :p

L192837465
21-09-2007, 22:43
if someone actually got mad at me for using something like this because i wouldnt forget something, i'd either 1) punch him in the face, 2) yell a derogitory statement about his mother, and/or 3) never play him again.

its a good idea, ESPECIALLY for noobs.

explorator
21-09-2007, 23:16
The sixth ed book had such a list in an appendix and I was sorry to see the concept go in 7th ed. I would have no objections if my opponent used such a list, but then I will also point out blatant errors they make.

FlylikeaMouse
21-09-2007, 23:58
Sounds like an alright idea to me.
Theres no way your going to get into any copyright problems, it's no different from making your own magic cards etc.

I'm forever forgetting to take fear tests when charging a fear causing enemy.
My opponent usually forgets to tell me too.
Although this provides an advantage to me, I still feel guilty for forgetting.
Doesn't feel right winning if you've done something like that.

So yeah, go for it.
Though if you do. My one request is to NOT distribute it as a PDF file.
An image version with fancy background and simple text version would be far more preferable so that people can make their own additions etc.

Couple other suggestions

Army Specific
Make a different background style for each army
Though this will be time consuming, it may make it a lot more popular.

Complex army specific
Save it as a photoshop file with the main text layer, then a background layer with a different image for each army. Like an all in one thats also easy to edit.

Good luck :D

Flypaper
22-09-2007, 13:00
1) Will this be legally allowed, I do not want to infringe on copyrights etc. Just make the gaming easier
As long as you don't cut-and-paste their text, it's legal. You can't copyright structural elements like that, only exact text implementations.

The sixth ed book had such a list in an appendix and I was sorry to see the concept go in 7th ed.
Yeah, I got a lot of use out of that. If only because I always did magic and shooting in the wrong order...

warlord hack'a
23-09-2007, 09:45
ok thanks for the advise, I will try and set up a draft asap and post it, then I hope and expect a lot of dicsussions on exact order sequences. I will NOT make it army specific as it should be one list for whatever you play against whatever you play, but I will put the army for which a rule applies in brackets , e.g. "Test for animosity (O&G)".

Fancy layout is for tha last step ;-).

Griefbringer
23-09-2007, 10:01
If you want to be even more thorough, you could add page references to those rules that need it (mentioning appropriate book and page number), that might be handy sometimes.

Festus
23-09-2007, 11:41
Hi

Splendid idea!

Why don't we (as a community) do this kind of thing?

Maybe in a thread of its own, where you simply add to an existing framework.

Like:

1. Start of Turn

2. Movement Phase

3. Magic Phase

4. Shooting Phase

5. Combat Phase

and then the next one can add to it like:

1. Start of Turn

2. Movement Phase
2.1 Declare charges
2.2 Rally fleeing troops
2.3 Compulsory Movement
2.4 Move chargers
2.5 Remaining moves

3. Magic Phase

4. Shooting Phase

5. Combat Phase

...and so on. In a few weeks/months time, we will have a comprehensive list, which will stand even the most thorough scrutiny :)

FEstus

DeathlessDraich
23-09-2007, 16:45
..erm, quite a coincidence. I've actually sent Jervis (Johnson) something similar but it's a good idea Warlord Hacka.

I suggest you start with shooting and combat and leave Movement last as Movement (which is the bit I sent Jervis) is too controversial and subject to various opposing interpretations.

grickherder
23-09-2007, 23:37
There's no copyright issue at all unless you copy their text. Use your own words and you're fine. Tell anyone who gives you a hard time about a cool reference sheet to shove off.

ampao
24-09-2007, 15:08
Can I post a link where you can download a PDF of the turn in sequence? Its a link to GW, I doubt its infringement, but I wanna make sure first.

Crube
24-09-2007, 15:26
Great idea - and not just for N00bs. Expereinced generals like me still forget most of the stuff I'm meant to do each turn...

Has my support, I'll fill in with whatever I can.

ampao
24-09-2007, 15:29
Check this link out:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/gaming/reference_sheets/assets/warhammerreference.pdf

warlord hack'a
24-09-2007, 22:16
thanks for the link ampao, but what I have in mind is much more detailed as it is in these details that things go wrong. I have alreayd started, hope to have enough of the list finished by the end of the week to post it and then the discussions can start ;-)/