PDA

View Full Version : Rhinox cav anyone?

anuburos
21-09-2007, 02:13
I'm thinking of putting a rhinox rider with iron fist and standard in my Orc and gob 2000 cav army. I think it fits in my army better than a giant and I'm not a fan of pump wagons. Currently I have 4 trolls as my rare choice, but I think the rider will add more to the theme. Just wondering if anyone has used one yet and how well you did with them.

sulla
21-09-2007, 06:30
They are hellishly good and very scary threats for any army without good artillery to face. They have a few weaknesses too but are well worth it if you have the money to buy a couple or convert.

anuburos
21-09-2007, 07:06
I'm only gonna run 1 in a 2000 pt list. Do you think this will be enough? I have 3 other chariots in the army. 1 Boar with a Black Orc Battle Standard, 1 wolf with a gobbo shaman, and 1 regular boar chariot. I figure he should be strong enough either to break a unit with help or be able to hold a unit until a flanking unit comes. I figure he's cheaper than a giant, and alot more reliable.

Enoshima
21-09-2007, 13:43
I would personally not do it.

AFAIK (and IIRC) rinox cav were banned, this because they were way too powerfull
(again IIRC) a group of 3 could take on an entire army.

It was a long time ago that I read these things, so I really don't know where anymore, sorry.

Mordante
21-09-2007, 20:08
BULL rhinox were banned in certain GW tournaments. If you are taking only 1 rhinox rider, not even a bull rhinox rider, I don't think anyone can complain. Not everyone cares what GW bans in their tourneys.

Kadrium
21-09-2007, 20:27
I'd try to send a chariot along to support it whenever possible, or something else that can deny rank bonus. By himself, on a frontal charge, he can have a mediocre round fairly often and lose out to static CR. If anything supports him that can deny rank bonus, or if he gets a flank charge on something, he stands a very good chance of breaking a unit all by his lonesome.

GodHead
21-09-2007, 20:56
I'm glad I live in Canad where all those optional little gubbins can be used in even the most hardcore tournaments.

L192837465
21-09-2007, 22:19
my buddy played 3 in his army a lot....
and though were awesome, they took up almost half of his points in a 2250 army. he lost a lot due to cannons, flanks, and combat res. if you can manage to hold after the charge their terrible I, they will lose to combat res. against anything with cannons or bolthrowers, they are reamed. fun, but not effective. play em in a 3k game or higher, and not in a tourney. use your points for a unit of Savage Boar Boys instead.

sulla
22-09-2007, 00:29
I'm only gonna run 1 in a 2000 pt list. Do you think this will be enough? I have 3 other chariots in the army. 1 Boar with a Black Orc Battle Standard, 1 wolf with a gobbo shaman, and 1 regular boar chariot. I figure he should be strong enough either to break a unit with help or be able to hold a unit until a flanking unit comes. I figure he's cheaper than a giant, and alot more reliable.

He's not more reliable than a giant but he's a hell of a lot harder hitting... That low Ld means that he's very vulnerable to panic of running if he loses combat. I like units of 3... Absolutely terrifying to face, especially with the warbanner.

anuburos
22-09-2007, 18:44
Well... here's my first experience with a rhinox rider in a 2000pt battle. Orcs and gobbs (cav army) vs dark elf (magic and shooty). My first thoughs.... oh yeah like this is gonna go well....

What I had:
Warboss, akrit axe, ehcanted sh, boss at, kickin boots, boar
with 9 boar boyz, full command, waaagh banner

Black orc battle standard. boar chariot, best basha, effigy of mork

gobbo shaman lvl 2-wolf chariot, sneaky staff
Orc shaman LvL-2, boar, itty ring, dispell scroll

3x 5 wolf riders with musician
10 spider riders with musician, standard bearer
5 savage boar boyz, full command, war banner
boar chariot
2 spear chukkas
rhinox rider with ironfist, heavy armor, standard

what he had:
3 DE bolt throwers
2x10 man repeater cross bow
2x10 spearmen with full command
20 corsairs
sorcerer lvl 2 -2 dipell scroll
sorcerer lord lvl 4-1 use item that makes you forget a spell, not sure what else
2 assasins- 1 with extra attacks, other with extra attacks and hits you +1S vs opponents T up to S6.

DE go first...oh boy!!! He moves up a little in movement. Magic, he is able kill to 2 savage boar boyz with a MM. Shooting 2 bolt throwers shoot the Rhinox causing 3 wounds...ouch. Other bolt thrower shoots at my bolt thrower..nothing.
My turn. I call a waagh!!! My boar boyz move and my BS in chariot move 2"...whippee! All of my fast cav decide to fight amongst themselves. Magic is all dispelled. I kill 3 corsairs with a spear chukka

DE turn 2, he steps back a little. Crossbow men stay where they are. Mages then go wild and bring my Boar boyz unit down to general, standard, and champ. Shooting, he brings my rhinox to 1 wound left. Shaman chariot killed when chariot collapses on him.
Orcs and gobs-charge declared by savage BB to spearmen. BB with general, and black orc BS in chariot to other spearmen next to corsairs. Rhinox and goblin wolf riders to corsairs, goblins fail fear check. Nothing happens in magic or shooting. 3 Savage orcs hit the 20 spearmen win combat and make them break. Catch them right next to a crossbow squad and makes them panic into 2 bolt throwers, but they decide to keep it cool. General with boar boyz and BO BS hit spearment with lvl 2 wizard in unit and ASSASIN! Cause 5 impact hits, challenge between general and assasin with extra attacks only- assasin fails to wound my armor. General then chops him while eating a turkey leg. Spear men break and are mowed down.
Rhinox vs corsairs-level 4 mage and ASSASIN! Rhinox runs over 1 guy with impact. Assasin goes first with extra attacks at S6 -3sv! No more rhinox.

Shooting and magic take over again, and my army gets wittled down. By the end of the batlle, I have 1 full unit of spider riders that was squabbling in the flank for most of the game and a BO BS that whipped down a whole hill of crossbowmen and bolt throwers. He had 17 corsairs with assasin and lvl 4 mage.
I'm thinking if I didn't squable as bad in turn one, it might have been closer.

sulla
23-09-2007, 01:19
...all mounted armies can struggle vs gunlines. O&G mounted can even struggle vs elven gunlines due to below average armour saves and animosity. Personally, I like a couple of big blocks of boys in any orc army and at least 2 rhinox (with the warbanner) for your rhinox unit.

Also, how did the shaman die when his chariot collapsed on him? I don't understand.

anuburos
23-09-2007, 15:57
2 DE bolt throwes shot at him. One wounded him randomly the rest shredded the chariot to bits.
I like the all cav army. It's very challenging or very rewarding. The other day... well... not too rewarding. Maybe I'll try 2 rhinox next time.